Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 17:56   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Second option is to access the email provider website, but.. where's the browser?
See the attached image. The icon with the red box is the browser. Are you using the default theme (looks like the one in the image)?
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-boldscreen.jpg  

Old 27th April 2009, 18:02   #767
Senior - BHPian

@ mohit - T Mobile seems to have replaced that with a different icon that shows 'w n w' or so. On opening that, its shows a message that indicates that the internet service it is set to look out for (I assume Blackberry or GPS) is not available, and if you click ok, there isn't any option available to configure it for Wi-Fi. Neither is there an address bar.
Old 27th April 2009, 18:11   #768
Senior - BHPian

Ajay,

WnW is the browser for your Airtel / Vodafone live )sim services).

Press the menu key and you should see the browser that Mohit has highlighted
Old 27th April 2009, 21:41   #769
Senior - BHPian

No, N_C. Inside the more exhaustive menu also, there are two instances of the same w n w. :(
Old 27th April 2009, 21:52   #770
Senior - BHPian

1. Press the BB Menu Key.
  2. Select options (the spanner icon)
  3. Select Advanced Options
  4. Browser
  5. Default Browser configuration (select Hotspot browser)

Its done, let me know if you need anymore help. I have emailed you as well regarding the HiFi system we were talking about.
Old 27th April 2009, 21:54   #771
BHPian

Press the menu key twice so you get a small pop up menu. See if "show All" is enabled.
Old 28th April 2009, 22:38   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

from a nonbeliever to believer. in praise of blackberry

i have used tons of phones starting from nokia walkie talkie model and a series of windows mobiles recently. my usage is primarily for business: lot of texting (email, sms, browsing, instant messaging, etc). few years back one uncle gave me his blackberry to troubleshoot some problem and i found it very unintuitive during that brief encounter and has written it off as a painful device people carry grudgingly because of the corporate email.

so i have spent past few years with my windows mobile phones, installing lot of apps (sms from laptop, nifty call+sms blocker, opera mini, parlingo IM, etc.) and thinking this is the best phone for my needs.

i refused to take a blackberry from my employer for a long time because i thought BB cant be better than windows mibile and i didnt want a new number as my current number is from a different carrier than the BB provider to my company. but eventually my boss made it clear that i should take BB.

i have been using BB for the past few months. i should have switched to BB long time back, even without corp email thingy. its ultimate device for avid texters like me. amazing/intuitive keyboard shortcuts. superb integration of all messages (corp mail, gmail, sms, IM etc). good battery life. i'm a believer now. only app i miss is call/sms filter from my windows-mobile days.

texters: go get BB!
Old 29th April 2009, 12:53   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

As you all know i have bought a Blackberry Bold a month ago and since the last couple of weeks i am noticing a very strange issue with my phone. The signal strength is extremely low and i am totally unhappy because of this situation. Some points to note :-

1. Unable to take office calls from my bedroom and when i move to my living room, the signal strength comes back. And, i live in the heart of the city

2. When i am in the company of 4-5 blackberry users ( different models and one BOLD) i see everyone has atleast 2-3 bars of signal strength, whereas my signal shows in RED "SOS"

3. I removed my Airtel SIM card and inserted in my friend's BOLD and the signal strength is back. whereas, mine shows SOS ( no network coverage)

4. Signal strength keeps varying as i move from one location to another within the city which is quite alarming and due to this either i am unable to make calls or calls get dropped in between.

Point# 3, makes it clear that there is something wrong with the handset. I am planning to visit the Airtel Blackberry Service Center this weekend to get it checked.

Can someone highlight what could be the problem and how it can be solved?
Old 29th April 2009, 14:53   #774
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps on BB BOLD?

has anyone tried Google Maps or any other GPS Tracking/Navigation Systems in their BOLD? if so, can you please give me some tips/links on how to get one?
Old 29th April 2009, 16:18   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
i should have switched to BB long time back, even without corp email thingy. its ultimate device for avid texters like me. texters: go get BB!
Welcome to the die-hard club of BB ! Once you are hooked, you may not like any other handsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
The signal strength is extremely low and i am totally unhappy because of this situation......whereas my signal shows in RED "SOS" Can someone highlight what could be the problem and how it can be solved?
If I was still with my old Airtel number on the BB, I would have blamed it on the sickening airtel network issues. But sadly, I presently use my BB on a Vodafone number and find similar issues. Therefore, I strongly feel its to do with the handset itself. Few instances where I found the 'SOS' signal on my BB Pearl was when my wife's Sony Ericsson phone showed full signal. I find the same issue on my phone at my basement parking and inside buildings with very thick concrete walls around.

If someone could suggest some troubleshooting, it could have been solved. May be an OS upgrade ?
Old 29th April 2009, 16:35   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If I was still with my old Airtel number on the BB, I would have blamed it on the sickening airtel network issues. But sadly, I presently use my BB on a Vodafone number and find similar issues. Therefore, I strongly feel its to do with the handset itself. Few instances where I found the 'SOS' signal on my BB Pearl was when my wife's Sony Ericsson phone showed full signal. I find the same issue on my phone at my basement parking and inside buildings with very thick concrete walls around.

If someone could suggest some troubleshooting, it could have been solved. May be an OS upgrade ?
Exactly same problem. In basements, deep corners of any large building and sometimes even in the middle of an open city road

I wish it will get resolved with as simple as an OS upgrade. But, my instinct tells me it ain't going to be so easy.

BB gurus, throw some light on how to solve this problem?
Old 29th April 2009, 17:16   #777
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry, there is a solution to every problem. Someone had already mentioned in the previous pages about the signal strength getting enhanced by the OS upgrade (I think it was Jaggu and Quickdraw who commented on it). So, its possible. You could mention here what is the present version, making the suggestions more meaningful.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:18   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
has anyone tried Google Maps or any other GPS Tracking/Navigation Systems in their BOLD? if so, can you please give me some tips/links on how to get one?
For google maps, go to m.google.com/maps on the phone browser and download it.

I use the Telmap Navigator but I am not sure if you have maps for Indian cities in that.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:23   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
For google maps, go to m.google.com/maps on the phone browser and download it.

I use the Telmap Navigator but I am not sure if you have maps for Indian cities in that.
Google Maps worked like a charm for Bangalore. Tested driving directions too from current loc to a place within city, did a great job. Thanks for your help.

Also very impressed with the speed of google maps on the mobile

Last edited by SkyWalker : 30th April 2009 at 12:25.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:08   #780
Senior - BHPian

Just upgraded the OS on my 8310 to 4.5.x Phone has become faster and even the reception has improved. Also I have more space available now on the phone to keep more mails and other stuff

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks