Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Read on crackberry forums that it works only 4.6.xx
I have OS 4.2.xx in my Tata Indicom 8830 WE
Unfortunately, its only for 4.6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Hi Mohit,
Can we have link to blackberry app world?
Can i use Vlingo without Unlimited BIS plan?
BlackBerry - App World – The Official BlackBerry App Store for BlackBerry Apps

Am not sure about Vlingo as it does make some data connection when processing. Will have to research a bit.

Last edited by mohit : 4th April 2009 at 00:39.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:19   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Unfortunately, its only for 4.6.x

BlackBerry - App World – The Official BlackBerry App Store for BlackBerry Apps

Am not sure about Vlingo as it does make some data connection when processing. Will have to research a bit.
Thanks for the link.
Could you please do some research and update?
Old 4th April 2009, 14:23   #618
Team-BHP Support

Just update the BB with the app (Different methods to update given here BlackBerry - BlackBerry App World Download and then browse to find the apps, though
Quote:
BlackBerry App World is only available to customers in US, Canada and UK and may not be available on all networks
So paid apps might not be available.
Old 4th April 2009, 15:23   #619
BHPian

OS v4.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Read on crackberry forums that it works only 4.6.xx
I have OS 4.2.xx in my Tata Indicom 8830 WE
You can atleast update to OS v4.5 and enjoy so many other features presently not available to you, like Improved Email Layout, Remote Search, Edit Microsoft® Word and Microsoft® PowerPoint® Files etc.,etc. Visit the link below

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software
Old 4th April 2009, 22:55   #620
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Redington India's offically launched BlackBerry handsets today, all unlocked and without any stupid operator branding et all.

Good riddence to Vodafone and AirTel with their outragous pricings. It might still be the same but atleast they wont be locked. And dealers offering some good discounts as well. I am proally picking up the bold again. Damn!
Old 5th April 2009, 00:52   #621
Senior - BHPian

For people planning to go for Blackberry service, go for the unlimited plan (Rs.899/- for BB service alone on Airtel). It was a hard lesson for me. I had Rs.499 plan for 1 week before i doubted my bandwidth usage and moved to unlimited plan. My bill for BB usage was Rs.5000.
Old 5th April 2009, 01:24   #622
Senior - BHPian

Ok since many a people here were posting some reviews on devices I thought I should post one of my own. I will not get indepth and discuss things which have been covered before many times. Ill actually try to keep this oriented towards the Indian scenerio about BlackBerries. Even if 1 person here finds this usefull ill consider the post worthwhile. Its kind-of giving back for all the information and help I've recieved through the forums here.

Very low buget (trying the waters)

Used/New 8700g & Used 81xx Pearl Series (Also consider 71xx and 72xx)

I would not reccomend any of these phones if you want to get any real work done actually. Because all of them are very outdated now-a-days and wont be very usefull. But are great phones to keep as standby considering the amount for which you can buy them for now-a-days (Rs 1000 ~ 3500 or max 5000 for a Pearl) bearing the pearl none of them have the trackball. And I have used the 8700g and find it a excellent phone for its battery backup and rough usage and the amazing cheap price. You can keep this as a second phone. I personally use one inside a otterbox mounted on my Bike for GPS navigation at times.

Lets get to it!
Decent budget

Used 81xx 88xx 83xx

When you have a budget of 6k to about 10k ish you can get some really good deals on the above mentioned phones. The 88 series is legendary and its really really light and has amazing battery life. Althought the OS is dated now because of arrival of 4.6 on the newer sets these phones are still very very capable and are hightly reccomended for people who want to test if a BlackBerry would fit their lives. The 88 series is also great for people who work in green areas where cellphones with camera's are prohibited. The Curve is a legendary phone and I will hightly reccomend it. And the Pearl I dont like so much because of absence of a full qwerty although it can do everything here that the others can. Any of the phones listed above are a very very good choice and you can find killer deals on them as well.

Decent Budget

New 88xx 83xx 8820

If you have a budget exceeding 10k ~ 20k you should go in for a brand new curve of if you want something extremely small and light the new pearl flip is also a good deal as it carries the new BlackBerry OS and also has WiFi. Functionality wise its all the same here. This is the budget most of the people would be looking at. I would highly reccomend grey market phones because they are considerably lesser priced.

Overkill

8900 Javelin, 9000 BOLD, 9530 Storm

Only buy these if you know what you want, although people which such high budgets know what they want but if you really are not familier with BlackBerries I suggest you play around with some second hand offerings first before ploughing so much cash into a cellphone.

Breakup of what I think of the phone in a single line (or little more )

7100t - Lovely, Lloyd of Entrouge has one. Hate the SureType can be had for peanuts.

72xx - More of a collecters item today. Not of any real use other then a backup phone PERIOD.

87xx - Rugged, still can be used on BIS to a ceriein extent but you will find yourself upgrading before you can say "BLACKBERRY" amazing as a backup phone when you need BIS active on the backup set as well.

81xx (Pearl) - Amazingly light, can do everything that the curve can. Just a personal preference about the SureType keyboard. (I am scared of you Shaju)

83xx (Curve) - Amazing lovely fantistic, best bet as your first berry.

88xx - A great berry by all means if you dont need a camera. 8830 had some ringer issues and dont buy a 8830 for abroad thinking you can make it work on tata/reliance's CDMA network. It can be had very cheap!!

8220 (Pearl Flip) - Unimaginably small and light. Has the latest OS and is priced really well. Also has WiFi. It can fit in the Jeans Zippo pocket (lighter pocket)

8900 (Curve *codename* Javelin) - The new Curve, it ticks all the right boxes and is a worthy predessor to the old Curve. And is amazingly light when compared to the flagship BOLD.

95xx (STORM) - The Touchscreen Berry is great if you are not a heavy duty user (typing) it can do everything, the screen is gorgeous *fantastic* its extremely fundoo worthy gadget. Gotta upgrade the OS as soon as you get it though.

9000 (BOLD) - The Big Pappa of Berries, it commands a 10k premium over the 8900 although it doesnt really do anything that the curve cant (3G is a exception as its not here yet DUH!) Cant give you any real reason except you will love it and SNOB value.

Woah that was a big one. Any comments and help if needed I am here. I am most proally going for the Bold again its certein, there are a few new berries in the pipeline which people in the know would be aware of.
Old 5th April 2009, 12:29   #623
Team-BHP Support

Guys need a help.

How apt is BB in viewing/editing MS word, excel and PPT?

I have seen the documents app which says word and ppt, but does it edit and which all version of the MS office work in this?

If doent work, can any paid apps help? approx cost?
Old 5th April 2009, 13:31   #624
Senior - BHPian

@ Jaggu:

If your BB handset is running on BB 4.5 OS, then it would have 'Documents to go'. This piece of software would allow you to view & edit documents.
If handset is running on 4.5 OS, but icons are not visible on handset, then enable/install 'Documents to go' via BB desktop manager.
Old 5th April 2009, 16:06   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
@ Jaggu:

If your BB handset is running on BB 4.5 OS, then it would have 'Documents to go'. This piece of software would allow you to view & edit documents.
If handset is running on 4.5 OS, but icons are not visible on handset, then enable/install 'Documents to go' via BB desktop manager.
Although Jaggu, you cant use it for heavy editing or creation for obvious reasons. I've always used it for minor changes and viewing. Also try eOffice - Mobile office suite if you're using a BB that's running 4.6+ OS
Old 5th April 2009, 18:42   #626
Team-BHP Support

Does it support excel, if so which version office 2005 or 2007. Documents to go is present and is 4.5, heard they have an option to upgrade with more feature, anybody used it.

Will check the eoffice, thanks. This is for a friend.
Old 6th April 2009, 09:26   #627
Senior - BHPian

@ Jaggu:
Yes, it supports both versions.
'Documents to go' Upgrade: Premium edition is available as paid software & it has 'pdf to go'.
Old 6th April 2009, 09:53   #628
Team-BHP Support

Thanks sukiva, my friend was not being to open excel in the default document to go in bold handset. Have given him the link for upgrade.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:13   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
You can atleast update to OS v4.5 and enjoy so many other features presently not available to you, like Improved Email Layout, Remote Search, Edit Microsoft® Word and Microsoft® PowerPoint® Files etc.,etc. Visit the link below

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software
I went to the above link and this is what it says:
For All Other BlackBerry Smartphone Users
To download, simply connect your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer using your USB cable and then click the Update button below*!

Note: You may need to download BlackBerry® Application Loader software to your desktop before the BlackBerry Device Software will begin downloading. If this is the case, you will be prompted to do so after clicking the Update button. Click "Run", then follow the additional instructions in order to update your smartphone’s software.

Please check the following items:

This page requires Windows® Internet Explorer® v5.5 or later, running on Windows®.
An ActiveX control provided by Research In Motion Ltd. needs to be installed to update your BlackBerry smartphone. Click on the Internet Explorer Information Bar, shown at the top of the page, and select "Install ActiveX Control..." to install this component.

But there is No Install Button below nor IE is asking me to install any ActiveX. Is it because I upgraded to the final version of IE8 recently? Should I downgrade to IE7? As far as my knowledge goes, that should not matter. It should have at least asked me whether I wanna install the ActiveX which it did not. What do fellow team-bhpians think of this?
Old 6th April 2009, 13:30   #630
Senior - BHPian

@ deepakchan:

Use this URL BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Select your region & service provider and then download firmware update for BlackBerry device. Firmware can be upgraded using 'Application loader' available in BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks