Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 09:32   #1501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Hey Guys,

I have managed to get Blackberry 8900 work on Emails and Internet complete access with only email lite plan on Airtel and normal Rs. 99 GPRS. That was a long troubleshooting but yes, I can now browse internet on my BB8900 with only rental of 299+99. Yipeee !!

Google maps, Amaze, All internet applications are also working !!!
Hi!

Waiting for details!! Airtel sometime back refused to provide BISLITE Plan@299 along with GPRS (any plan). Sure the details would be useful for us.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:47   #1502
BHPian

My 1.5 yr old N95 is giving me lot of problems these days. Thinking of getting a new phone. Just wanted to know, does it makes sense to buy a blackberry without going for the BIS plan. Will normal GPRS/EDGE work? I have a vodafone connection.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:48   #1503
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
My 1.5 yr old N95 is giving me lot of problems these days. Thinking of getting a new phone. Just wanted to know, does it makes sense to buy a blackberry without going for the BIS plan. Will normal GPRS/EDGE work? I have a vodafone connection.
Please read through the thread. A BB without a BIS plan is useless. Not recommended.
Old 7th October 2009, 13:18   #1504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
Hi!

Waiting for details!! Airtel sometime back refused to provide BISLITE Plan@299 along with GPRS (any plan). Sure the details would be useful for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why dont you share the details, will be useful for others.
@Anmol, another guy waiting for same detail. Please be a little detailed so all of us can benefit from this side-stepping trick
Old 7th October 2009, 13:55   #1505
BHPian

Jgsolo27, Jaggu, Mobike008 and all fellow mates...

There is a trick in getting both services.

Step1: Call up BB support at 7070 or email bb.support@airtel.in and get the blackberry email lite plan activated. Dont call up CC till its activated. Once activated configure all your email accounts, gtalk etc. Confirm that your emails are getting delivered without any issue.

Step2: Get an old phone from your freind / if you have another normal phone, put your SIM in it and call up 121 helpdesk and ask them to activate GPRS on your phone, plan choice as per your requirement, lots of plans are available - 99/Rent free/199/299 etc. If the CC asks you which phone you use, tell them you have a GSM phone from which you are talking and you would also need settings for Mobile Office. Just convince them that you dont have a BB. And now wait for GPRS to get activated - should take 4 hours.

Step3: After you get a message from Airtel for GPRS activation, confirm with CC that its is on. Now put your SIM into BB handset, goto Advanced Options-> TCP/IP. Put the APN: airtelgprs.com and in APN authentication, select it to be on but dont put any username or password. Save the settings and come out of the menu.

Step4: open connections -> select mobile network and disable-enable the mobile network so that it would search again on network for Airtel.

Step5: Open Opera (what I use) on your BB and goto options-> disable wifi. And after saving the options, you can now browse the internet without any problem.

And this is how the cookie crumbles !! Yes, finally it should work !!

For any more details you can PM me.

Thanks
Anmol
Old 7th October 2009, 13:59   #1506
Distinguished - BHPian

Anmol, thanks, your a smart cookie !

I will try this over the weekend. Hope they dont recognize me as an already existing BB user.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:01   #1507
BHPian

@Mobike,

Thats why you need to convince them, that you use a normal Nokia and not a BB !!

Old 7th October 2009, 14:55   #1508
Team-BHP Support

Oh ok, thanks for the info. Basically you should have both the plans active and then change the APN, gotchaaa!
Old 7th October 2009, 15:25   #1509
BHPian

but as anmolbedi said changing your sim to a normal phone is a compulsion.if you call from the BB handset they will know that you are using a BB handset with the imei #.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:26   #1510
BHPian

RIM and RIM have officially launched BB8630

Research in Motion (RIM) and Reliance India Mobile (RIM) have officially launched BB Tour 9630 for Rs.27,990 right in time just for you

Source: Fonearena (dot) com / blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
If you absolutely have to stick to Reliance and they have agreed to activate a NON Reliance branded blackberry you have a lot of options, go to gsmarena.com and take a look at the BB models there which support CDMA. But in my opinion you would be fine with a Storm or a maybe a nice 8830. But I suggest you put money down for a Tour its definately worth it. And the only good option right now in CDMA.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:34   #1511
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Anmol!

Would this also work with a Vodafone connection?
Old 7th October 2009, 16:04   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
@Mobike,

Thats why you need to convince them, that you use a normal Nokia and not a BB !!

After putting my SIM in a Nokia Phone, I called up Airtel CC and got the plan details/rates of MO. The CC Executive himself asked, after explaining the tariff," Sir, you are using a Nokia 3110C, which plan you want me to activate for you?" I have asked him to activate MO 99 and am waiting for the confirmation message! Keeping my fingers crossed. Will post the results once everything is through.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:24   #1513
BHPian

@Jgsolo27,

Best of luck!! awaiting results

JVH,

I dont have a vodafone connection... but it should work with vodafone's APN. APN address: www

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2009 at 16:34. Reason: Back to back posts, use multi quote please.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:31   #1514
Team-BHP Support

Actually you can activate the plan by sending an ACTV "Plan" sms to the 222 number from your handset once you get the Plan Acronym.

EDIT: Shaju: maybe here is the root cause of your problem, Airtel might not have activated the GPRS when you contacted them using BB headset.

Ps: Airtel never could figure out am using iPhone in all my interactions with them, even the IMEI number i had to present to them.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2009 at 16:34.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:40   #1515
Distinguished - BHPian

On second thoughts if you calculate, savings are not that phenomenal.

If you get the annual plan for Rs.6999 it works out to Rs.583/Month and this trick will save you Rs.185/month.

But, i am still going to try this method

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks