Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 16:21   #1561
Senior - BHPian

It was purely based on the concept of 'Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam', if you are not familiar with that word, its something like considering the whole world as a global village. Everyone is related to each other as a family. PIN is the PIN of Blackberry, so we get to add not only members here but also their family. If you get naughty over here, we just message (BB messenger) one of the family members.

Whole thing was in the form of kidding, so dont take it serious. Btw, I have around 15 bhpians in my BB messenger, although its not frequently used. May be when I am in their city, I might message them.
Old 14th October 2009, 17:44   #1562
BHPian

Btw my pin is 30D8CB43
Old 15th October 2009, 11:13   #1563
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Whole thing was in the form of kidding, so dont take it serious. Btw, I have around 15 bhpians in my BB messenger, although its not frequently used. May be when I am in their city, I might message them.
Shaju, hope to receive your message when you drop down to Pondicherry sometime!!

Last edited by jgsolo27 : 15th October 2009 at 11:16. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 16th October 2009, 12:17   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Part of the BB gang now ,got the Curve 8520 yesterday.
The phone offers great VFM ,quite impressed with its quality and features.
The Trackpad is actually pretty easy to use/maneuver.
Currently on Vodafone`s 299 plan.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:31   #1565
BHPian

Another one bites the dust. Though I had a BB8830 from my office, but it has IT policy of the company and hence as good as a paper weight.

Got myself BB8900 last evening from Croma at 23.5 with a 1000 bucks gift coupon. Here is my dilemma. I am a Vodafone users with Vodafone Mobile Connect as well as Vodafone Live. VMC is unlimited usage, while Live is charged as per usage. I intend to subscribe to BBLite @ 299 and continue keeping my VMC @ 99 for unlimited usage.

On inserting my SIM in BB, I got the Live and WAP entries in the Service Book and I set the APN in Advance Options --> TCP. However, the BB Browser uses the Live settings. I tried deleting the Live and WAP settings, rebooting and attempting to access net; but could not. I have then removed and reinserted the SIM to get the Live settings in Service Book, downloaded Opera and am using it now. However, I am not sure if Opera is using Live or VMC (www setting in APN) settings.

I would like to ensure that Opera uses VMC before I call up Vodafone for subscribing to BBLite. Can someone guide on how to check what settings is Opera using to access the net? I am thinking of deleting the Live and WAP settings again to test. Is there any other way of finding out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:50   #1566
BHPian

@Ardy,

The settings are fine and you are using VMC and not Live services. Lives services APN is different and it doesnt allow Opera browsing.

You can further check in options of Opera that "HTTP" is selected as connection and WIFI is deselected/off.

For any further info, you can PM me. I use same method Airtel @299/Mobile Office Internet on BB8900.

Thanks
Old 16th October 2009, 14:01   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi
@Ardy,

The settings are fine and you are using VMC and not Live services. Lives services APN is different and it doesnt allow Opera browsing.

You can further check in options of Opera that "HTTP" is selected as connection and WIFI is deselected/off.

For any further info, you can PM me. I use same method Airtel @299/Mobile Office Internet on BB8900.

Thanks
Thanks, Anmol.

In the Opera options, Socket was selected which I have now changed to HTTP. I have also deleted the Live and WAP entries from the Service Book and tested Opera. It works perfectly fine.

Will get my BBLite activate soon.

Cheers.
Old 16th October 2009, 14:33   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys
I am still in the initial phases and am deciding when & which BB to buy. I am very impressed with either the BOLD or and when the bold II (9700) arrives may buy that one.
I am a little confused with the following
1. Many fellow members subscribe to the BB plan of email only for 299/-
2. then they subscribe to the VMC plan of199 pm

They use the 1st plan for emails and the second for browsing. In the past couple of days I have spoken to the customer care of Vodafone and have come across a plan of 6999 which is advance rental and as unlimited browsing and 10 emails on BB.
This comes to approx 583 PM compared to 498 of the VMC and BB email only plan.
Not to mention the all browsing that we will do on the VMC plan we will have to pay 10 paise per 10 kbps of download or upload.

So Bb experts please guide me
  1. Which is a better plan to take
  2. Will the speed of browsing and emails be faster in the 6999 plan or there will be no difference in the browsing speeds
  3. Or do I have my facts wrong???
Old 16th October 2009, 17:40   #1569
BHPian

Hey all!

I am a new user of blackberry and I have a Curve 8900. I just upgraded from a Nokia N70 with an Airtel prepaid plan.

In the postpaid plans, there is a Rs.99, unlimited GPRS being offered. What I want to know is if that is enough to run the Gmaps and gmail. On my prepaid connection, with just the Airtelgprs.com in the APN settings, I am able to check email and browse whatever I want and all applications seem to work with the prepaid GPRS. I am planning to move to the postpaid connection, is it required to have the blackberry plan from the service provider? Using the old nokia, can I just subscribe to the Rs.99 plan, then move the sim back to the BB and use just that?

What am I missing here? I am a newbie here and I am sure I am missing something here.

Prajwal
Old 16th October 2009, 18:43   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shaju, hope to receive your message when you drop down to Pondicherry sometime!!
How can I miss PY and a free lunch or dinner by any chance ? Hope you are enjoying your BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
got the Curve 8520 yesterday. Currently on Vodafone`s 299 plan.
Lot of 8520 in the market right now, I think many malls too offer them with great discounts, inspite of discount promotions through the news papers. I heard very high opinion about this model.

Last edited by shajufx : 16th October 2009 at 18:46.
Old 16th October 2009, 22:16   #1571
BHPian

@Prajwal,

You may put the SIM and ask customer care to activate normal GPRS. When asked for the handset you use, convince them that you have a Nokia and you would use GPRS on it. All done.

you need to activate Blackberry plan separately to enjoy Push mail service.

Anmol
Old 16th October 2009, 23:00   #1572

Addicted to BB

Got my BB 8900 curve (black) just few days back, and I am addicted to it. Awesome features, but surely quite a bit of limitations though.
The most horrible feature is the Bluetooth, you cannot send or receive without pairing it with another device.
You wont find Indian maps on the blackberry website, guess they've not yet recognised India as a potential user of BB.
My model: 8900 Curve
Price: 23,500
Services: Vodafone post paid account, 299p.m. black berry services active.

More inputs at a later stage.

Meanwhile any inputs on accessing Team-Bhp on BB through RIM/Push Technology? i.e without wifi or internet browsing service active on the connection?
Old 17th October 2009, 05:09   #1573
Senior - BHPian

The reason for the pairing is security.

Use Google Maps, BB Maps arnt available for India.

Accessing T-BHP via push technology? You mean via emails? You can subscribe to threads and the notifications come up on email, you will have to go to the website to post though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmmPassion View Post
Got my BB 8900 curve (black) just few days back, and I am addicted to it. Awesome features, but surely quite a bit of limitations though.
The most horrible feature is the Bluetooth, you cannot send or receive without pairing it with another device.
You wont find Indian maps on the blackberry website, guess they've not yet recognised India as a potential user of BB.
My model: 8900 Curve
Price: 23,500
Services: Vodafone post paid account, 299p.m. black berry services active.

More inputs at a later stage.

Meanwhile any inputs on accessing Team-Bhp on BB through RIM/Push Technology? i.e without wifi or internet browsing service active on the connection?
Old 17th October 2009, 13:46   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
@Prajwal,

You may put the SIM and ask customer care to activate normal GPRS. When asked for the handset you use, convince them that you have a Nokia and you would use GPRS on it. All done.

you need to activate Blackberry plan separately to enjoy Push mail service.

Anmol
Great! That exactly what I wanted to know. I dont have to convince them of my handset. I can just call from the Nokia and even go to the customer care if they wanted me to. I just wanted to know if the Google apps (gmail, gmaps, etc) and the messengers would work with the normal GPRS connectivity or if it was absolutely necessary to get the BB plan. I dont have any company based push email, so for just gmail, I think the GPRS should be enough.

Thanks for that info mate!

Cheers!

Prajwal
Old 17th October 2009, 18:22   #1575

Guess you do need the BB plan to enjoy push mail, it wont work on GPRS services, but than again u never know. Do keep us posted of your development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Great! That exactly what I wanted to know. I dont have to convince them of my handset. I can just call from the Nokia and even go to the customer care if they wanted me to. I just wanted to know if the Google apps (gmail, gmaps, etc) and the messengers would work with the normal GPRS connectivity or if it was absolutely necessary to get the BB plan. I dont have any company based push email, so for just gmail, I think the GPRS should be enough.

Thanks for that info mate!

Cheers!

Prajwal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks