Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 18:35   #2311
BHPian

@johnda,

The blackberry desktop software provides an option to switch devices. connect 8800 and it would take its backup then connect 9700 and emails would be restored too...

its very easy and simple.

Let me know if any help is required
Old 11th June 2010, 18:56   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
@johnda,

The blackberry desktop software provides an option to switch devices. connect 8800 and it would take its backup then connect 9700 and emails would be restored too...

its very easy and simple.

Let me know if any help is required
Yes I did backup my 8800, and i restored the last back up to my 9700..so i got all the rest except for the mails. is there something where i have to back up my email on the some other server or something??
Old 12th June 2010, 11:07   #2313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Yes I did backup my 8800, and i restored the last back up to my 9700..so i got all the rest except for the mails. is there something where i have to back up my email on the some other server or something??
Desktop Manager do have an option of "Switch Blackberry Device", have you tried it ?? It should work as charm !! I shifted my boss's data from 8900 to 9700 via it, it went all through easily with flying colors.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:07   #2314
Senior - BHPian

So my 3 1/2 month old pup Rockstar decided to chew my Blackberry when nothing else was available and I was asleep. Stuck with a broken LCD and messed up front and back housing. Any good contacts for cheap parts? Planning to buy them from outside or perhaps a couple of bricked phones and scavenging for the parts from them.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:12   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
So my 3 1/2 month old pup Rockstar decided to chew my Blackberry when nothing else was available and I was asleep. Stuck with a broken LCD and messed up front and back housing. Any good contacts for cheap parts? Planning to buy them from outside or perhaps a couple of bricked phones and scavenging for the parts from them.
Delhi is having plenty full of such dealers and mechanics dealing in such kinda repairs,not sure about mumbai. I believe some member (Sahil or someone else) got his phone repaired recently when the phone went down to (undeclared drinks) you should speak to him in the regard. For the body you can skip of getting an original one but yes do strain on getting the original one for LCD, as being a crucial part.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:05   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Guys can someone please tell me when the BB9800 slider phone is going to be launched in India ?
Planning to get my first BB , initially thought of the 9700 but then after seeing the features offered on the 9800. I thought I would wait.
Old 13th June 2010, 00:19   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Got a nice quote of around 3k for the OEM LCD and duplicate housing. The 8900 is really easy to open up, so it should be done soon
Old 13th June 2010, 00:33   #2318
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Facebook app has stopped alerting me! I think its time for 1.8 or 2.0
Old 13th June 2010, 09:45   #2319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
What is the best way (read cheapest) if I want to use the BB on my phone internationally. I will be off to thailand for 10 days in June.

Will it be cheaper if I use the International roaming ( but I do not want to rake in bills of '000 of bucks) OR
I should buy a cash card and use that take a pre-paid connection from thailand itself and use the BB service (does it work this way) I am assuming that it should work this way as the BB pin is assigned to the phone only

Has anyone done it internationally? I am not worried about phone calls but more about the emails??
Please advise

Guys any info/ advise to the above query??
Old 13th June 2010, 13:13   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Local option is the best but you will need BB service on the local account.
Old 14th June 2010, 09:47   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys can someone please tell me when the BB9800 slider phone is going to be launched in India ?
Planning to get my first BB , initially thought of the 9700 but then after seeing the features offered on the 9800. I thought I would wait.
If you are looking at overall reliability, I would suggest to wait for 9800 launch and pickup 9700. Reason : A considerable price correction of 9700. Bar phone is anyday much more reliable and sturdy to use then that of a slider one. Slider phone are prone to go kaput due to usage of a cable to connect slider with main board which easily wears-off due to usage.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:03   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Local option is the best but you will need BB service on the local account.
Thanks JK for the clarification

Quote:
Quote:
What is the best way (read cheapest) if I want to use the BB on my phone internationally. I will be off to thailand for 10 days in June.

Will it be cheaper if I use the International roaming ( but I do not want to rake in bills of '000 of bucks) OR
I should buy a cash card and use that take a pre-paid connection from thailand itself and use the BB service (does it work this way) I am assuming that it should work this way as the BB pin is assigned to the phone only

Has anyone done it internationally? I am not worried about phone calls but more about the emails??
Please advise
Hey guys
I surfed on crackerry forum and found that Thailand's Mobile service providers offer unlimited Blackberry services including browsing, messenger and all on prepaid cards @30Bhatts per day + VAT (which last I checked was 7%). The prices on that forum were not updated in 6-8 months buy I guess should be in the came range.
Also I found out that another service provider in Thailand (DTAC) offers BB services @ 650 unlimited for 1 month.

So I guess both the service providers would be having their outlets at the airport and if the cash card which is chargeable on the perday basis available I would prefer that as Ill be there for 9 days and this way it would workout to be 289 Bhatts approx 425 INR!!!

BTW no to sound too foolish or novice
I would do all the above believing that I would keep getting my emails on my BB as the BB pin is specific to the phone and not to the service provider.
If not then there is no point taking BB services and still not being able to use it!
Am I right in assuming that I would keep getting my emails, facebook updates, tweets etc etc on my BB 8520 even if I change the BB service provider???
Old 15th June 2010, 10:33   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Can you check a file with short name, max 8 characters.
Oops i missed this before.
Yes i tried with a shorter name, but still unable to open the file it says.

I don't think BB has inbuilt PDF viewer, else why would there be many 3rd party PDF viewers out there?
Old 15th June 2010, 10:43   #2324
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks JK for the clarification

Hey guys
I surfed on crackerry forum and found that Thailand's Mobile service providers offer unlimited Blackberry services including browsing, messenger and all on prepaid cards @30Bhatts per day + VAT (which last I checked was 7%). The prices on that forum were not updated in 6-8 months buy I guess should be in the came range.
Also I found out that another service provider in Thailand (DTAC) offers BB services @ 650 unlimited for 1 month.

So I guess both the service providers would be having their outlets at the airport and if the cash card which is chargeable on the perday basis available I would prefer that as Ill be there for 9 days and this way it would workout to be 289 Bhatts approx 425 INR!!!

BTW no to sound too foolish or novice
I would do all the above believing that I would keep getting my emails on my BB as the BB pin is specific to the phone and not to the service provider.
If not then there is no point taking BB services and still not being able to use it!
Am I right in assuming that I would keep getting my emails, facebook updates, tweets etc etc on my BB 8520 even if I change the BB service provider???
Hi,

I was told that you get a Prepaid Sim with BB activated for approx 300 Bhats a week at the airport itself. A friend tried it and says it works just fine.

Would suggest you go into your phone settings and turn off data services whilst roaming to prevent receiving large bills from your Indian service provider. You should be able to use the BB services using the local thai sim card I assume.

Viper

Viper
Old 15th June 2010, 11:39   #2325
BHPian

need a battery for my BB 8900. Remington is quoting 4,500. is there anywhere else i can get it for cheaper. places in bangalore preferable.

p.s. got one from dubai through a friend who was returning, that battery doesnt even go inside the receptacle in the the phone

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks