Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 17:47   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, a fundamental question about Blackberry's : can it be used as a regular phone, without the e-mail features etc ?

A friend got a BB, and has a BSNL SIM (possibly a 32KB one). He will not use e-mail. Is there anyway I can configure the BB handheld to work with this SIM ?

& Before you think of asking the obvious : the instrument came as a gift.

No issues, I have seen people using it as a phone only. If locked he will have to use it with that particualr service provider or get it unlocked.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:34   #2192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, a fundamental question about Blackberry's : can it be used as a regular phone, without the e-mail features etc ?

A friend got a BB, and has a BSNL SIM (possibly a 32KB one). He will not use e-mail. Is there anyway I can configure the BB handheld to work with this SIM ?

& Before you think of asking the obvious : the instrument came as a gift.
For sure IT IS, I am the one using it without BB Services. Why ?? Due to Software Stability and Rigidness. Though I am on a GPRS plan and using all my mails very efficiently

Nothing to do for configuration, just Insert Sim and start using it
Old 18th May 2010, 11:43   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Some good news.

Redington has just announced that all their current models [8520,8900,9000,9700 & 9520] will be covered with a warranty of 18months!

Enjoy
Old 18th May 2010, 11:54   #2194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Some good news.

Redington has just announced that all their current models [8520,8900,9000,9700 & 9520] will be covered with a warranty of 18months!

Enjoy
What about existing phones? Would their warranty be extended by 6 months?

What I find most annoying about Redington is that they insist on having the bill copy when you go for a warranty claim. Often the bill is lost, they must have a system to track the phone's warranty status via the IMEI number.

Any news on the new pearl's launch in India or it's likely price ?
Old 18th May 2010, 12:03   #2195
Senior - BHPian

according to Redington it would but will be subjective and not 100%. would depend on your luck.

as for the new Pearl, well expect it next month
Old 19th May 2010, 20:21   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Guys, after talking with airtel customer care (121) and blackberry technical support team (7070), I am completely lost.

I tried to use the GPS in my 8900, the new mobile which I got today. It says "failed to locate satilite". And I call CC and here is the result.

Quote:
The so called technical support have told me that Airtel no longer support GPS on blackberry!!!! And they have broken the contact with "GPS" provider. So, only GPRS and mails will work.
Long live Airtel.
Old 20th May 2010, 10:29   #2197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Guys, after talking with airtel customer care (121) and blackberry technical support team (7070), I am completely lost.

I tried to use the GPS in my 8900, the new mobile which I got today. It says "failed to locate satilite". And I call CC and here is the result.

Long live Airtel.
Switch to Google maps, i use it in my BB 8310 (GPS) in Airtel network. It works great!
Old 20th May 2010, 11:47   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Long live Airtel.
Hey Mahesh,

Long time, hope ur AVEO is doing fine.

On the MAPS, well the preloaded BB MAPS dont work in India, you have to download Google Maps for GPS. Also for GPS to work perfectly and accurately you would need Blackberry Internet Services activated.

PS : GOOGLE MAPS currently dont provide Navigation.

Cheers.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:12   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Nothing to do for configuration, just Insert Sim and start using it
I have an unlocked BB Tour which is supposed to work on both GSM and CDMA, even without a BB plan. While it does a great job with my Vodafone SIM, it fails to work with my Reliance CDMA SIM. I tried changing the settings to 1x, EVDO and Global but it still doesn't seem to latch on to a signal. Only the "SOS" option shows up. Maybe some further unlocking is required. The Reliance Word dude seemed clueless in every other respect but was convinced it couldn't be done. I haven't got a chance to test the Tour with other CDMA providers.
Old 20th May 2010, 22:19   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I have an unlocked BB Tour which is supposed to work on both GSM and CDMA, even without a BB plan. While it does a great job with my Vodafone SIM, it fails to work with my Reliance CDMA SIM. I tried changing the settings to 1x, EVDO and Global but it still doesn't seem to latch on to a signal. Only the "SOS" option shows up. Maybe some further unlocking is required. The Reliance Word dude seemed clueless in every other respect but was convinced it couldn't be done. I haven't got a chance to test the Tour with other CDMA providers.

check the manage connection ICON while using CDMA sim and see if it shows you the network name.
If your CDMA sim has no blackberry plan, it should allow you to use the phone but will not do any e-mail or IM stuff.

you also need to check other websites which can easily help you detect if your CDMA is locked anyhow.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:09   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
For xx30 Blackberry phones which are CDMA/GSM, the SIM card slot is only for GSM. If it needs to work with CDMA it needs to be programmed like the Motorola V3c and other non-SIM CDMA phones. I have a 8830 and I was using it without a SIM Tata Indicom programmed. When I went on international roaming, they gave me a world SIM, which can latch on to GSM networks when I go abroad which I inserted into the SIM slot.
Old 21st May 2010, 20:00   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Also for GPS to work perfectly and accurately you would need Blackberry Internet Services activated.
No way. It would work perfectly even without activating BIS. It does work well in the BB8130 with a BSNL SIM.

Quote:
It does not provide voice navigation. It does provide routing which can be followed nicely.

Last edited by trrk : 21st May 2010 at 20:01.
Old 21st May 2010, 21:22   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Mahesh,

Long time, hope ur AVEO is doing fine.

On the MAPS, well the preloaded BB MAPS dont work in India, you have to download Google Maps for GPS. Also for GPS to work perfectly and accurately you would need Blackberry Internet Services activated.

Cheers.
Correction:

1. Blackberry Internet Service is NOT REQUIRED.

2. Google Maps DO PROVIDE Navigation, but do not provide Voice Navigation.
Old 21st May 2010, 21:43   #2204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Google Maps for mobile Long live google
Old 21st May 2010, 22:46   #2205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
For xx30 Blackberry phones which are CDMA/GSM, the SIM card slot is only for GSM. If it needs to work with CDMA it needs to be programmed like the Motorola V3c and other non-SIM CDMA phones.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks. But I'm not too worried because I bought it for using on a GSM network. And it's good to know that the 9630 can work on CDMA with a little jugaad. Though I wonder how viable the "programming" is. If it's motherboard-level stuff I guess it's best left alone by the noobs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks