Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-106.html)

When I went to the camera store recently, I had decided to buy Canon 70D but ended up with the Sony a6000 Mirrorless camera for Rs 62K. It came with a combo e-mount kit lens (16-50mm) & (55-210mm), original Sony camera case and 8GB memory card.

Wow. It is a great value for money camera. Everything is good about this camera except for 2 things. First is lack of native e-mount lenses above 300mm and a weak battery. Except for these 2 things the camera is awesome. Got to buy a spare battery & a 32 GB class 10 memory card ASAP and an extender for the 55-210mm in the next couple of months.

If you guys are aware of any news/rumours about new native e-mount lens equal to or more than 300mm from Sony in the next 6 months then please let me know. I would not mind waiting for it than buying an extender.

@torque

The best part about the Emount is it takes a whole lot of adapters. Get a cheap FD 300mm lens and you are on for a good 300mm on that Sony.

The camera is a gift for those who like Manual focus and are used to it.

If you are after AF, your options are really none for anything above 300mm

If you are after long tele, you should check N1 series. They have a 2.7 Crop factor making even the slowest 300mm a decent 800mm lens on that small camera.

Its a great alternative for carrying smallest tele lens. All you may need is a 150mm lens to make it decent 300+ mm lens.

A N1 and a 120-300 Sigma would be a killer which can take even tele converters to make it a great alternative. As someone said earlier, compromise is the AF. Overtime you will realize may be you dont need AF :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3644461)
I am planning on giving my E-M5 to her with the original 12-50mm kit lens, and use the newer E-M5 Mark II with 12-40mm lens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3654399)
I have ben using my Olympys OMD -EM5 for over two years now and have never looked back.

Bought the Olympus OM-D E-M5 (omd em5) online and received it yesterday. Love how light and nifty it is, with all that capability inside! Thanks Samurai and Jeroen for convincing me (through your positive mentions) to go for it.

Now, I'd like to procure the smallest possible bag to carry it around (don't have any plans for extra lenses\gear currently). I'd like to carry it with the kit lens always mounted and the bag should allow fast retrieval of the camera. Any suggestions for such bag? Browsing online, came across the Tamrac Rally Micro. There are pictures of a person sporting the bag and it looks small, light and comfortable. Would that be a reasonable choice? If so, are there similar designs that are cheaper? Appreciate any guidance you folks are able to share!

Congrats on the EM5. I use Kata DC-435 for the EM5, I used to carry two primes (45mm 17mm) along with kit lens, and charger. Now that I also carry a big flash, I have moved on to DC-439.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadFiend (Post 3720954)
[b]
Now, I'd like to procure the smallest possible bag to carry it around (don't have any plans for extra lenses\gear currently). I'd like to carry it with the kit lens always mounted and the bag should allow fast retrieval of the camera. Any suggestions for such bag? !

Congrats with the new camera, enjoy!

I'll be honest. I put a lot of research into buying my camera, but once bought I will use it for years, literally until it falls apart. I don't even look at new cameras. However, when it comes to camera bags I am on a constant search for the ultimate bag. A bit like the holly grail. For my current camera I'm already on bag number 4&5. I now have two bags in parallel. one shoulder bag and one rug sack. But even the other day I saw a ruck sack that might be even a bit better.

Part of it is, that I do tend to pick up a few accessories. I recently bought the Olympus 40-150 Pro. Unbelievable quality, but it is a big heavy lens. And of course, a couple of filters, cleaning stuff etc etc. It all adds up.

So I'm not the best one to hand out advise on camera bags as for some reason or another I always seem to be on the lookout for the next, even better, bag.

Good luck and enjoy the camera!

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3720992)
Congrats on the EM5. I use Kata DC-435 for the EM5.

Samurai - Thanks for the very useful lead - wasn't aware of this (seemingly impressive) brand. Kata DC-433 seems to be exactly the dimensions I wanted. Just ordered it online. Now for a solid tripod that'll last a lifetime...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3721365)
Congrats with the new camera, enjoy!

I now have two bags in parallel. one shoulder bag and one rug sack.

Thanks Jeroen - what are the make\model of your bags - collecting insight for future use, when I acquire more gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadFiend (Post 3721445)
Samurai - Thanks for the very useful lead - wasn't aware of this (seemingly impressive) brand. Kata DC-433 seems to be exactly the dimensions I wanted. Just ordered it online. Now for a solid tripod that'll last a lifetime...

Thanks Jeroen - what are the make\model of your bags - collecting insight for future use, when I acquire more gear.

My shoulder bag is a Thinktank, retrospective 7, blue slate

See http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...blueslate.aspx

My back pack is Lowepro flipside sport 10

See http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/f...e-sport-10l-aw

Both hold all my stuff, including my Sirui carbon fibre tripod,

see http://www.siruicanada.com/tripods/t1204.htm

There is one more thing I change even more than the camera bag, which is the camera strap. I've got dozens of those. Haven't found the ideal one yet!

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3720992)
Congrats on the EM5. I use Kata DC-435 for the EM5, I used to carry two primes (45mm 17mm) along with kit lens, and charger. Now that I also carry a big flash, I have moved on to DC-439.

The Kata DC-433 arrived and it's exactly the right snug-fit size (for em5) and an awesome *quality* bag - big thanks Samurai !

While I ponder on what tripod to buy, I found a Targus TG-5060TR lying around at home. Is it complete junk, or could I use it for a few days till I choose and acquire the right Manfrotto ?

Just about any tripod is a compromise between sturdiness and weight. You want it to be as rigid as you can get at as low a weight possible. Now your EM5 is a relatively lightweight camera, certainly compared to DSLRs. So you can actually get away with a slightly less heavy tripod. The other factor, at least for me, is portability. I really like my tripod to fit in my camera bag rather then to have to carry it separately. But again that is a gain a trade off between weight, size and functionality.

Wow. Sony really did a surprise.
42MP BSI full frame sensor
4K internal recording
Silent electronic shutter, and First curtain electronic shutter
PDAF with "THIRD PARTY" lenses - This is the biggest bit. Canon lenses can now AF fast on a Sony body.

Sony has really set the cat among the pigeons. I expect lot of migration from Canon now!

^ 240, 480, 960, 1000 fps in video!!! (Resolutions are still unclear, as there's some contradictory information - but it's respectable to amazing, depending on the source)!

Personally, I'm a bit bummed though. Was waiting for something in the a6000 / a7000 segment :'(

EDIT: To add to TSK's list - In-Body 5-axis stabilization too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 3728424)
... In-Body 5-axis stabilization too.

3-axis in understandable. What are the other 2 axes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3728476)
3-axis in understandable. What are the other 2 axes?

If I'm not mistaken : Rotation along the 3 axes + axial movement along 2 of them.

EDIT: Adding pic

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-olympus5axis.jpg
source

I have the Olympus OMD EM5 and this 5-axis stability feature is phenomenal. Of course, you also need to understand when you should, partially, disable it.

For instance when tracking a moving car you should disable the horizontal stability. Typically on a tripod you would switch it off all together. There is also a dependecy on the type of lens or rather focal lenght. If the camera cant detect it automatically, you need to set it manually for the stability feature to work properly.

Jeroen

Greatest announcement from Sony. I dont know if i should go for this or wait for the A7S II .

This one does not have the low pass filter as well making it a great camera for using my legendary lenses.

My A7II is looking stale in front of this beautiful camera. I will surely move towards A7R II.

The only thing made my go for A7II was the IBIS. A7R is priced at 3200 USD. But around December or Jan 2016 this should stabilize to 2500 or 2600. Not bad considering the age old 5D mark III demands 2500 now :)