Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:38   #2401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
Lowepro Event Messenger 100 Shoulder Bag (Black) https://amzn.eu/d/5dA3A6w
I have been using the larger Lowepro bag and cramming it full of an amazing amount of stuff! They are well made and great value for money.

There is a local brand called Mobius. I have just bought one of their biggest shoulder bags, so I can carry even more gear to concerts --- but they make smaller stuff too.

(Yes, I know about weight on the shoulder, but my carrying time is mostly house to car, car to just across the road. I wouldn't carry this much weight at all much further.)
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 18:18   #2402
BHPian

Guys first of all I appreciate the prompt responses for the initial query. I am ready with another one which will eventually help me finalize the carry bag.I am a beginner in the photography world and still in the earning phase(Bought the camera last week). Aperture, Shutter speed and all still are terms i am trying to understand and what role they play.I have a 1 week trip planned end of the year to Rajasthan where most of the time i will have to carry the camera gear and travel by foot.

Below is the gear i will be carrying:-

1.Sony A 6600
2.18-135 Kit Lens
3. 30 mm Prime Lens(Sigma)
4.Additional Battery(Yet to Buy),Memory Card(Yet to Buy),Battery Charger and maybe the cleaning kit

I was looking for some advise from the pros in the community.

1. I was planning to use the neck strap and hang the camera around throughout the travel as i feel it will avoid me dropping it .To protect the camera between the shots I am planning to keep it in the bag which again will be suspended using the neck strap. Its as if the bag is near my wist where i can place the camera whenever not in use and when required take it out in a quick second. Is this setup advisable? It it a feasible arrangement where i can enjoy the walk as well and take photos as well without getting too tired?

2.I contemplated using the Hand Grip/Wrist strap but somehow i fear i might end up hitting the camera around and damaging it while carrying it around.Anyone who has used it can suggest if this option is a better than hanging the camera around using the strap.

3.Should I buy the memory card and the battery right away or should i wait and buy it in future. 97% of the camera usage will be for Photography . Now I know all this depends on the usage but anyone using the similar setup can advise.

4.Any other Accessories which are a must buy please recommend. Along with that any other suggestions for a beginner like me would be appreciated.
Old 22nd July 2022, 19:42   #2403
Distinguished - BHPian

My thoughts as an a6000 and then a6500 user...

A 128gb memory card will last you for a lot of pics, even in RAW+JPEG mode! you may not need a spare for capacity, but might want to carry just a small one in case anything goes wrong.

Buy the other battery. Use them alternately. The genuine Sony ones seem to be good for several years: third party batteries may or may not be. I don't get so many pics from one battery, but I spend a lot of time with the shutter button half-down, autofocus going like crazy, waiting to get the shot.

A wrist strap comes in very handy sometimes, but the neckstrap is more secure. Neckstrap is a lot easier for walking, if you are taking the camera out and about.

Buy accessories as you need them. Don't go crazy like I did: I have two tripods and a monopod, which are seldom used.

A small/medium flash gun is worthwhile. A dry cabinet is nice to have. I have a 50 Ltr one. You're gear would hardly take up half a shelf, but remember it is likely that your first one or two lenses will not be your last!

Whenever I am not going out for a couple of days I shift my things into the dry cabinet. Otherwise they sit, ready, in the bag.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 19:59   #2404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post

I was looking for some advise from the pros in the community.
I think you are overthinking.
A6600 battery is pretty good, will last you full day (500-600 shots i think).
Even a 64GB is a lot of space for stills, not much if you shoot video, and nothing if it's in 4K.
rjainv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 20:57   #2405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't get so many pics from one battery...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
A6600 battery is pretty good, will last you full day (500-600 shots i think).
Aaaargh! I'm not so much overthinking as forgetting that the a6600 comes with the bigger battery.

Sorry.

Mind you, I'd still like to have one spare in the bag.
Old 22nd July 2022, 21:36   #2406
BHPian

Looking to get a bag that can easily carry the following:
1. Canon R6
2. 3x lenses (35mm RF F1.8, 17-40mm F/4 L, 150-600 mm Tamron G2.
3. Sony Alpha A58
4. 3x lenses (70-300, 18-55kit lens, 50mm F1.8)
5. A medium size Tripod,
6. An iPad 11
7. A 16’ Thinkpad/13” MacBook.
8. GoPro with few batteries and accessories,
9. Half a dozen filters.
10. SSDs, camera chargers and batteries, SDcards, few cables etc.
I am right now using couple of bags to carry all this but I am sick of carrying multiple bags around.
I would prefer something that can be converted to carry smaller kit like one pair of lenses and body only.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 22nd July 2022 at 21:39.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:30   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
1. I was planning to use the neck strap and hang the camera around throughout the travel as i feel it will avoid me dropping it .To protect the camera between the shots I am planning to keep it in the bag which again will be suspended using the neck strap. Its as if the bag is near my wist where i can place the camera whenever not in use and when required take it out in a quick second. Is this setup advisable? It it a feasible arrangement where i can enjoy the walk as well and take photos as well without getting too tired?

2.I contemplated using the Hand Grip/Wrist strap but somehow i fear i might end up hitting the camera around and damaging it while carrying it around.Anyone who has used it can suggest if this option is a better than hanging the camera around using the strap.

3.Should I buy the memory card and the battery right away or should i wait and buy it in future. 97% of the camera usage will be for Photography . Now I know all this depends on the usage but anyone using the similar setup can advise.

4.Any other Accessories which are a must buy please recommend. Along with that any other suggestions for a beginner like me would be appreciated.
Consider a backpack with a quick release kind of arrangement for the camera and lens to come off. If you'll be walking a lot or traveling on foot/without transport for a majority of your time, the backpack will help will you not be sore at the end of the day. Think one of the Vanguard Veo series has that. Go to a physical store and check it out before buying.

Not a fan of the hand grip; so, cant advise on that. For me it is mostly something when you have the camera in hand for a prolonged time, like an event photographer. May not aid well in travel much.

Also, on the memory card, I prefer having smaller but multiple cards [32/64 GB] to reduce the risk of failure. It barely weighs anything and gives you an option when you need it. Also, as a beginner you are going to shoot a lot mostly till you find your style/comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
I am right now using couple of bags to carry all this but I am sick of carrying multiple bags around.
I would prefer something that can be converted to carry smaller kit like one pair of lenses and body only.
That is a lot of gear. I was going to suggest the Mindshift 26 but then saw the 150-600 and I don't think the 26 would take that. Try the 36, if you can get your hands on it.

For a smaller bag in a large single bag setup, you can opt for a mountaineering focused 45/60L bag [Osprey/Deuter/Gregory] with camera inserts and a small bag in it. I use my small Deuter with camera inserts for hikes sometimes and it is extremely comfortable. You can think of a similar setup - bag inside a big bag with two levels of camera inserts.
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:31   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurura023 View Post
Consider a backpack with a quick release kind of arrangement for the camera and lens to come off. If you'll be walking a lot or traveling on foot/without transport for a majority of your time, the backpack will help will you not be sore at the end of the day. Think one of the Vanguard Veo series has that. Go to a physical store and check it out before buying.
Appreciate your response.
Yes I am planning to buy the peak design Slide Lite or the Black Rapid Sling shot one.
Although I find them expensive for essentially what they are but you buy these things once and if they can offer the freedom of using the camera without worrying about the safety the investment is worth.
For the bag I have shortlisted a few on Amazon and they seem to suit the purpose but its better to take the camera and visit the shop and try the bags for self and then decide.
Ill definitely take a look at the Vanguard Veo series.
What i am planning is to put across the strap(Peak Design Slide) so that the camera is on my right side and put the bag across on the left side so that the weight is balanced on both the shoulders.An X shaped formation.Something like in the pic below. Apologies for the kindergarten level Editing . IS this good idea?
Just in case you come across any other model of strap or bag which suits my needs and is less expensive than the ones i am planning please do share brother.

Quote:
Not a fan of the hand grip; so, cant advise on that. For me it is mostly something when you have the camera in hand for a prolonged time, like an event photographer. May not aid well in travel much.
Hand grip is a big no for me because I always fear what if the camera slips off and it bumps onto a wall or something.
The idea itself gives me creeps.

Quote:
Also, on the memory card, I prefer having smaller but multiple cards [32/64 GB] to reduce the risk of failure. It barely weighs anything and gives you an option when you need it. Also, as a beginner you are going to shoot a lot mostly till you find your style/comfort.
It is a good idea to have multiple cards to have some backup in case the primary one fails.
Attached Images

Last edited by Artyom : 2nd August 2022 at 14:40.
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:16   #2409
BHPian

Guys Sigma 30mm 1.4 Contemporary Lens is retailing for 25490 on Amazon under the sale.Initial sale price was 26990 Just ordered one for self. I had cancelled the previous order for the same lens last month when I bought the Sony camera.Glad I did as I saved 1500 this time.Not sure if its a good deal but then again saving 1500 satisfied me.Thought of sharing just in case anyone is planning to buy
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 15:37   #2410
Senior - BHPian

After a lot of agonizing research, a few days ago I finally got myself a camera upgrade from an old D5100 to the Sony A7 IV. I have got the kit lens 28-70 and the Samyang 18mm F2.8 to begin with, and they arent that bad as I learn the camera itself. The initial impression is that that it feels complicated in terms of feature set, but at the same time, its intuitive in some ways too. The eye AF is quite good. I would like to hear advice on good image editing softwares, since I havent had the heart to go to Lightroom yet.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 16:12   #2411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
... I would like to hear advice on good image editing softwares, since I havent had the heart to go to Lightroom yet.
Congratulations on your new camera!

I don't use Windows or Mac, so most of the commercial editing software is unavailable to me. I use GIMP for working with jpegs, with occasional use of Rawtherapee if I really must use RAW.

Some of this free software is available for Windows too. If you want something (actually, quite a lot!) for nothing, you could explore it.

However, if I was a Windows user, I'd start out with the Sony Capture-One software, which I think still comes free with their cameras?
Old 5th August 2022, 19:56   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Congratulations on your new camera!

I don't use Windows or Mac, so most of the commercial editing software is unavailable to me. I use GIMP for working with jpegs, with occasional use of Rawtherapee if I really must
However, if I was a Windows user, I'd start out with the Sony Capture-One software, which I think still comes free with their cameras?
Thanks! I am not sure whether CaptureOne comes free. Yhe license cost is steeper than Lightroom subscription.I am seeing a LR plus Photoshop subscription service for 636 Rs per month. Still cant decide whether to take it or go for something like Pixlr.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 22:15   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I am not sure whether CaptureOne comes free. Yhe license cost is steeper than Lightroom subscription.I am seeing a LR plus Photoshop subscription service for 636 Rs per month. Still cant decide whether to take it or go for something like Pixlr.
Do give a try to darktable.
Will take some time to get used to it, and not as powerful as Lightroom, but still competent.
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 22:18   #2414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I am not sure whether CaptureOne comes free...
It used to. It was a Sony-only, slightly cut-down version.

Now I looked at their site and there is Capture-One Express (for Sony). This does look a bit basic. It is not clear that it even process raw files.

I guess things changed.

(Oddly, I dreamed that I was using a Windows computer, yesterday night, It was a nightmare!)
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 00:59   #2415
BHPian

Capture One Express is still free to download and use.I installed it last week and you get the license as well.
Artyom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks