Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2021, 19:50   #2326
BHPian

Re: My pursuit of a perfect amateur camera (for content creation)

Since you said one of the objective of your purchase is to have a handy option for street shooting, although you have already made your purchase, I would have recommended evaluating Insta360 One X2 / One R.

Apart from being very handy, it has great stabilization and 360 shooting with ability to reframe later on which is a great feature, the companion app on cell phone or the desktop is a great action packed studio in itself and reduces processing time to a large extent. I had said to myself once that why do I need 360 shooting but trust me, after realising the invisible selfie stick mode while shooting in 360 I realised the true potential.

I have recently used the One X2 on our trip to Varanasi and results were good. The link to the TL is here (Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture).

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-20210424_224451_626.jpg

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-img20210505wa0003.jpg

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-20210424_214606_411.jpg

It's only drawback is the smaller sensor size so a lot of zoom can be fatal on the outcome.

Last edited by haisaikat : 17th May 2021 at 20:00.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 20:03   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Since you said one of the objective of your purchase is to have a handy option for street shooting, although you have already made your purchase, I would have recommended evaluating Insta360 One X2 / One R.
Thanks for sharing your experience and recommendation Haisaikat. I actually wanted a mirrorless camera with controls for exposure (Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, Compensation) to further my photography skills/interests and create YouTube content. Since my use case is primarily the latter, I wanted a full-fledged mid-range APSC camera.

Last edited by pannags : 17th May 2021 at 20:06.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 20:22   #2328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Amazed at the night shot.
Super composition, and not a hint of noise anywhere... Is this auto settings or you guided camera for particular exposure mode ( expose for highlights?)
Old 17th May 2021, 20:30   #2329
Distinguished - BHPian

Good choice of camera!

What kind of software are you guys using to edit movies for YouTube? I am still using iMovie on my Mac which is sort of ok, but nothing fancy either.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 20:41   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
not a hint of noise anywhere... Is this auto settings or you guided camera for particular exposure mode ( expose for highlights?)
Just Auto settings although it had a Night mode which I was lazy to set, and then took this straight out of camera with zero edits.
Old 17th May 2021, 21:15   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Good choice of camera!

What kind of software are you guys using to edit movies for YouTube? I am still using iMovie on my Mac which is sort of ok, but nothing fancy either.

Jeroen
I use Wondershare Filmora and my daughter uses Movavi Video Suite.

I find Movavi to be better suited for beginners while Filmora is very popular with intermediate-level users.

BTW, I've heard Mac users swear by iMovie. Haven't used it myself though.
Old 18th May 2021, 03:38   #2332
Senior - BHPian

I am a bit surprised about your switch to a Fuji. Once you've experienced the Sony mirror less eco system, it is very hard to break out of them. Sony have crushed the big names such as Canon and Nikon by heading down the road and perfecting mirrorless cameras, that its close to making full frame cameras redundant for the every day, casual shooter and even professional users.

Anyway, you have done your research and I guess the Fuji cuts it for what you want to do with it.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 14:26   #2333
BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Is this a good approach? I see many reviews on Youtube suggesting the full frame RP + 50mm 1.8 is a brilliant combination. I have felt the 50mm is too zoomed in on the 550D to be an everyday lens earlier, but then it was an effective 80mm lens there.

Any alternatives to be considered?
I had a 10 year old Canon setup similar to what you mentioned. Crop camera + few lenses and was in the same dilemma whether to go for a different brand altogether. As androdev mentioned, simplifying the kit made me take my camera more than before. I sold off my Canon kit and chose for a used X-E2 at a bargain to get used to Fujifilm's system and still this is working fine for me. My wife already had an X-T3 for her professional shoots and I could borrow her lenses if needed. Most of the times, I end up using the 23mm lens (effective 35mm) and it is much suited for all my requirements. In you case, may be except for the birds, the rest of the things can be handled with a simple setup.

I am thinking of upgrading to a single camera with fixed lens setup. Still contemplating on a new X100V or a used Leica Q.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 18th May 2021 at 14:29.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 15:57   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am a bit surprised about your switch to a Fuji. Once you've experienced the Sony mirror less eco system, it is very hard to break out of them. Sony have crushed the big names such as Canon and Nikon by heading down the road and perfecting mirrorless cameras, that its close to making full frame cameras redundant for the every day, casual shooter and even professional users.
Interestingly, the first camera maker to foray into the mirrorless world wasn't primarily a camera maker at all, but an iconic brand known for printers - Epson - that too way back in 2004.

It took over half a decade for mirrorless cameras to gain popularity and that credit indeed goes to Sony. In fact, Sony made its appearance into the mirrorless world in 2010 with the NEX series and they shot to popularity with their subsequent FF and APSC cameras.

Fuji wasn't far behind and introduced their offering just a year later with their X-mount, but it was with the ground-breaking GFX series cameras that they created a revolution in the mirrorless world.

Fuji has been primarily focussing solely on their APSC mirrorless line by offering multiple product lines, catering practically to every possible user segment, in addition to their iconic colour science.

While I did evaluate and consider a Sony A6600, the S10 turned out to be a far more compelling choice for my needs and budget.
Old 18th May 2021, 17:09   #2335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
I finally bit the bullet by going ahead with the X-S10 as my first step into the Fuji mirrorless world (already own the beautiful Insta Mini).
Congratulations for your new camera and all the best for your channel. I had been in a dilemma for almost two years on buying a camera, a second one to complement my full frame Nikon D810. The D810 is very heavy and is painful to carry all the time, especially on hikes or walks. So I had been looking at small mirrorless cameras. I went into a loop of going through the specifications of almost all the cameras available in the market. Since I am not a good photographer I feel I need to buy the best gadget available to make up for my incompetence behind the lens. Seeing this dilemma for such a long time my wife suddenly made up her mind and gifted me a camera a few days back. Now I don't know what to do with the time that I used to spend lurking on the forums trying to find out the best small camera

Last edited by BlackPearl : 18th May 2021 at 17:10. Reason: typo
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 22:00   #2336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I am thinking of upgrading to a single camera with fixed lens setup. Still contemplating on a new X100V or a used Leica Q.
I used the X100V belonging to a friend and somehow did not connect. But it could be just me!

Forgot to update the thread - but I ended up falling for a beautiful compact camera anyways - the Sony A7C. To my eyes - it looks even more beautiful than the Fuji lineup with its retro body and retractable stock lens. And I get to retain the freedom to change the lens as well. Sony has always had excellent sensors and this full frame with their new colour science is a huge upgrade in image quality from my old Canon 550D.

After a couple of months - fully happy with that decision.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th May 2021 at 22:08.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 03:33   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take a look at the Sony RX10 III. Yes it is expensive and that giant lens is actually quite good for what is a fixed lens camera. The newer model is out though I doubt if it improves that much more than the III.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 17:37   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, if your requirement is clearly a fixed lens camera and a 23mm at that, the X100V is a fantastic choice. In fact, the X-E4 is a nice option too, but I'm not very happy with the ergonomics, or rather the lack of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Seeing this dilemma for such a long time my wife suddenly made up her mind and gifted me a camera a few days back. Now I don't know what to do with the time that I used to spend lurking on the forums trying to find out the best small camera
Tell me about that ! BTW, curious to know what you were gifted.

Quote:
I ended up falling for a beautiful compact camera anyways - the Sony A7C. To my eyes - it looks even more beautiful than the Fuji lineup with its retro body and retractable stock lens.
The A7C is a stunning camera with great capabilities. If rumours are to be believed, the upcoming A6900 will sport an almost similar design.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 17:55   #2339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nothing like a Leica Q.

Quote:
Tell me about that ! BTW, curious to know what you were gifted.
It is a compact camera, not a mirrorless/EVIL. It is Leica DLux.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 18:16   #2340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Seeing this dilemma for such a long time my wife suddenly made up her mind and gifted me a camera a few days back.
That's smart of her .

Quote:
Sony A7C. To my eyes - it looks even more beautiful than the Fuji lineup with its retro body and retractable stock lens. And I get to retain the freedom to change the lens as well.
Good choice. The flexibility is indeed good to have, as I think you can just keep using your Canon EF mount lenses with an adapter for sony E mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Take a look at the Sony RX10 III. Yes it is expensive and that giant lens is actually quite good for what is a fixed lens camera. The newer model is out though I doubt if it improves that much more than the III.
Thanks, but it's smaller sensor and larger weight/dimensions feels like I am going back to DSLR-like times.

Name:  Screenshot from 20210519 143503.png
Views: 433
Size:  105.4 KB

Quote:
In fact, the X-E4 is a nice option too, but I'm not very happy with the ergonomics, or rather the lack of it.
Thanks. X-E4 indeed felt a little too minimalist and my longer fingers are not helping the ergonomics case either.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 19th May 2021 at 18:20.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks