Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 23:25   #2221
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

I haven't tried testing it with another humidity meter (hygrometer, I think!) or turning it off. Of course, the humidity rises when I open the door.

I wonder if lenses should be stored with or without caps either end? What do you think?
Old 5th November 2019, 06:51   #2222
Senior - BHPian

How do guys with a solitary mirrorless camera and lens ensure fungus free zone in the cupboard? Considering this needs power all the time.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:39   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I haven't tried testing it with another humidity meter (hygrometer, I think!) or turning it off. Of course, the humidity rises when I open the door.

I wonder if lenses should be stored with or without caps either end? What do you think?
I just have the kit lens and it is attached to the camera. I am currently keeping the entire thing along with the bag - it's a small bag. I am not inclined to keep my Nikon DSLR and it's various lenses in it, as fungus has already gotten into them and i intend to sell them off once i get used to the Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
How do guys with a solitary mirrorless camera and lens ensure fungus free zone in the cupboard? Considering this needs power all the time.
Buy some silica gel and toss it inside the camera bag. You can even consider keeping it in an airtight plastic container - the kind you use in the kitchen.

Yet, investing in a dry cabinet is the best solution. I too have a solitary mirrorless camera.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:42   #2224
Distinguished - BHPian

If it fits, it seems like quite a good idea to dry the bag out sometimes. Hey, maybe an hour in the sun might be just as good as a day in the cabinet!
Old 10th December 2019, 13:27   #2225
BHPian

I have read many reviews about DSLR and mirrorless, now I am thinking of buying a mirrorless camera. I have mentioned below my needs, kindly suggest on what is a good buy?

1. I will primary use the camera for portraits (i am not a big fan of flash, I do not like using it), some landscapes as well. I love the bokeh effect in portraits.

2. I like taking photos of flowers - for this I think a camera which does good job with portraits should be fine. I like photography of wildlife and birds - I know this is a expensive hobby and it requires autofocus. I will appreciate if the camera has good AF.

3. Though my hobby is expensive, currently I am not willing to spend so much. My current budget is 50 to 60k, I will prefer a camera with which I can upgrade to better lenses later.

4. Preferably a lighter camera, which I can carry, else, I may end up not using it - I think mirrorless cameras satisfy this well.

5. I am okay about the battery not lasting enough as compared to DSLRs.

6. Good service in India - Bengaluru.

7. If the camera is weather sealed - it is a bonus

8. I am not looking for full frames, i am okay with micro-thirds or APS-c sensors.

9. I like the ergonomics of holding Nikon camera - I am not sure of this in mirrorless systems
Old 10th December 2019, 18:33   #2226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpnpmr View Post
I have read many reviews about DSLR and mirrorless, now I am thinking of buying a mirrorless camera. I have mentioned below my needs, kindly suggest on what is a good buy?

1. I will primary use the camera for portraits (i am not a big fan of flash, I do not like using it), some landscapes as well. I love the bokeh effect in portraits.

2. I like taking photos of flowers - for this I think a camera which does good job with portraits should be fine. I like photography of wildlife and birds - I know this is a expensive hobby and it requires autofocus. I will appreciate if the camera has good AF.

3. Though my hobby is expensive, currently I am not willing to spend so much. My current budget is 50 to 60k, I will prefer a camera with which I can upgrade to better lenses later.

4. Preferably a lighter camera, which I can carry, else, I may end up not using it - I think mirrorless cameras satisfy this well.

8. I am not looking for full frames, i am okay with micro-thirds or APS-c sensors.

9. I like the ergonomics of holding Nikon camera - I am not sure of this in mirrorless systems
Sony makes some of the lightest mirrorless cameras. And has a more practical positioning of the viewfinder compared to others.

An A6000 or A6100 may suit your budget. Buy body plus 50mm prime and add a 55-210mm later.

Have a look at Fujifilm too if you want your controls in hardware form.

Stay away from full frame mirrorless, the lenses are prohibitively expensive.
Old 10th December 2019, 23:16   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Have a look at Fujifilm too if you want your controls in hardware form.
Thanks for the reply. Could you suggest some models in Fujifilm. How is their service in India?
Old 13th January 2020, 16:26   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

My first mirrorless
First full frame
First Sony

Cost me 48K.
Did you consider a7ii? Not available in Bangalore, but not discontinued officially.

PM me about your buying experience along with your contact.

Yes, Lens are very expensive. This is a deterrent, for an industry, which is becoming extinct. Camera sales have come down by 84% in the last 10 years, and the prices are going up.

Last edited by jaaz : 13th January 2020 at 16:27.
Old 13th January 2020, 18:00   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Did you consider a7ii? Not available in Bangalore, but not discontinued officially.

PM me about your buying experience along with your contact.

Yes, Lens are very expensive. This is a deterrent, for an industry, which is becoming extinct. Camera sales have come down by 84% in the last 10 years, and the prices are going up.
I did. I didn't have money for that - I am a failed photography enthusiast who is only collecting gear to tick the items in my bucket list. I had this fascination for full frame DSLR and this is all I could afford.

I bought it from jbhifi.com.au. They were running a promotion around that time and I asked a friend in Melbourne to pick it up.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/s...h-28-70mm-lens

Last edited by civic-sense : 13th January 2020 at 18:05.
Old 14th January 2020, 00:10   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpnpmr View Post

I have been doing a lot of research on this for the last few months with a similar budget of 50K. So, let me share my thoughts here.

A little background - I have used a DSLR earlier (Canon 600D) but sold all my gear as I wanted to get something smaller. Also, the current generation smartphones have gone so much better that they are perfectly good for casual photography. Some of my best shots which I have got printed on my wall are from Google Pixel and Galaxy S10 phones. I also debated whether I should buy a dedicated camera at all or get a flagship smartphone. The new Galaxy S11/S20 is coming with some new revolutionary sensor which will probably give amazing image quality even in low light situation.
After much deliberation, I have decided to get a dedicated camera. The main reason for this is not image quality as such but more about handling and ergonomics. A dedicated camera is so much more easy to hold/grip and shoot and if you are planning to play with various settings, it has to be a proper camera. Other reason is the flexibility of interchangeable lens and ability to shoot at different focal lengths. Finally, the low light performance of a large sensor with a bright lens in unmatched.

Now, coming to the cameras within 50K, my priority was snappy performance, great autofocus, good user interface and touchscreen.I wanted a kit lens which is slightly wider (24mm). Also, I wanted the following lenses within reasonable budget - (1) fast small prime lens (2) wide zoom lens starting at 16-18mm. I wanted to consider the other lenses which I would like to buy and consider the overall cost of the system for coming to a decision.

With the above criteria I have decided to get the Canon M50 along with 22mm F2 pancake and 11-22mm wide angle lens. I did not find any other camera and lens combination which will provide similar performance and versatility within the price range.

Other cameras considered.
Panasonic G85 with 12-60mm lens - closest competitor. Somehow, I am not convinced by the micro 4/3rd system as APSC cameras are similar in size and cost with bigger sensor. Also, no wide-angle zoom lens available within the price range.

Olympus EM10 II/III - Rejected due to non-availability of suitable lenses (as above) and the kit lens starts at 28mm which is not wide enough for me.

Sony a6000- Old model, tried and tested. But, frankly it is extremely outdated in terms of features. Sony JPEG colors are not good and the user interface is terrible. Sony a6300/6400 might be good choice if you have the budget.

Fuji XT100 - I like the styling but the users have reported poor autofocus and laggy performance. Fuji XT20 might be a good choice if you have the budget. Also, Fuji lenses are very expensive compared to Canon in general and wide-angle zoom lenses are not available within my budget.

I am planing to purchase in the next week or so.
Please let me know if you have any other suggestions/comments/questions.
If you have a higher budget, I suggest looking at the Fuji XT20/XT30 or Sony a6300/6400 models.

Last edited by adimicra : 14th January 2020 at 00:14.
Old 27th January 2020, 17:41   #2231
Senior - BHPian

I finally went ahead with the XT100 after lot of research and some discussion on DPReview forum. It seems that the AF is pretty fine unless you are shooting fast moving subjects, which I don't normally. I got a good deal on the XT100 with the 15-45 and 50-230 lens at 45K. I am planning to also buy the XC 35F2 lens once it is available in India.

Fuji XT100 has the following advantages over the Canon M50 -
1> Noticeably better high ISO performance, and slightly better dynamic range
2> Better image quality with the 15-45 kit. Also, due to a smaller crop factor, you get 22.5mm in the wide angle which might mean that I don't need a separate wide angle lens
3> Much better battery capacity.
4> Retro looks
------

Canon m50 over the Fuji
1> Better autofocus
2> snappy and intuitive user interface ( I hear the XT100 performance to be pretty good as well after all the firmware updates)
3>Better handgrip
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 12:18   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I finally went ahead with the XT100 after lot of research and some discussion on DPReview forum.
Congratulations adimicra. So you finally took the plunge. You got a great deal with 50-230.

Quote:
It seems that the AF is pretty fine unless you are shooting fast moving subjects, which I don't normally.
AF is the Achilles heel for this camera. But you get the hang of it after some time. Fast moving objects still pose a challenge.

Quote:
I hear the XT100 performance to be pretty good as well after all the firmware updates
How do I get these firmware upgrades?

Cheers,

Pawan

Last edited by PapaBravo : 28th January 2020 at 12:20.
Old 12th February 2020, 15:29   #2233
Team-BHP Support

Olympus OMD EM5 mkIII is finally out.... just the body costs $1800. Ludicrous!

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/oly...initial-review

I am perfectly fine with my mkI and mkII, which were both available at $999 MRP.
Old 25th February 2020, 13:52   #2234
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I have two questions:
  1. What is the basic difference between a Micro 4/3 format sensor and an APS-C format sensor camera?

2. Why are micro 4/3 cameras priced in the DSLR price bracket whereas the EOS-M, RX 100 range is much cheaper?

I basically have some old Canon FD and EF mount lenses which I want to put to use. Wanted to choose between the EVIL cameras having the APS-C (Canon, Sony, Nikon) format and the Micro 4/3 format (Olympus, Panasonic).
Old 25th February 2020, 14:13   #2235
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
  1. What is the basic difference between a Micro 4/3 format sensor and an APS-C format sensor camera?
  2. Why are micro 4/3 cameras priced in the DSLR price bracket whereas the EOS-M, RX 100 range is much cheaper?

I basically have some old Canon FD and EF mount lenses which I want to put to use. Wanted to choose between the EVIL cameras having the APS-C (Canon, Sony, Nikon) format and the Micro 4/3 format (Olympus, Panasonic).
That question about sensors is a FAQ. So here's a old link.

https://www.techhive.com/article/205...d-for-all.html
Regarding lens re-use, have you considered mount compatibility and / or cost of adapters? Again, some lenses have AF motors built in, and some bodies depend on motors in the lens to AF. Some use motors in the body to AF. So you'll need to be more specific about the lenses you have.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks