Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2018, 17:08   #1666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Ok people, I had a Nexus 7 since 2013 which Dad was using. Today morning, there was some update after which it has just stopped responding. The tablet is on but the screen doesn't respond to any touch. What could be the issue?
Old 21st August 2018, 19:50   #1667
BHPian

Use a mouse (usb adaptor) and try using the tab.
This worked on my phone when the screen went kaput.
Do a factory reset and see it helps
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:00   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Been eyeing the Huawei Mediapad 5 8.4" for some time now as my Nvidia Shield is starting to show its age. Just waiting for someone to come from the US of A

Wish Samsung had a Tab S series in 8".
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:00   #1669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Use a mouse (usb adaptor) and try using the tab.
This worked on my phone when the screen went kaput.
Do a factory reset and see it helps
Thanks a lot. The mouse did help me in unlocking the tablet and doing a factory reset. But the screen seems to be dead, unresponsive to touch.

Looking for a 7/8" tab with use limited to mail checking, playing word games, reading news and occasionally video/movie. Wifi connection is a must but LTE can be overlooked. Suggestions please. Budget is 10K.
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:55   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Ok people, I had a Nexus 7 since 2013 which Dad was using. Today morning, there was some update after which it has just stopped responding. The tablet is on but the screen doesn't respond to any touch. What could be the issue?
I had touch issues in my Nexus7 Tab about 6 months ago. Got it replaced for INR 6000 (appx) in ToToDo Malleshwaram, Bangalore branch.
Old 28th September 2018, 09:52   #1671
BHPian

Quote:
My 2012 Nexus became nearly useless after an update in 2015. No amount of resetting has helped. Using it only for showing rhymes for my dauhter. So much for the update
Old 28th September 2018, 12:18   #1672
BHPian

Quote:

Looking for a 7/8" tab with use limited to mail checking, playing word games, reading news and occasionally video/movie. Wifi connection is a must but LTE can be overlooked. Suggestions please. Budget is 10K.
Phablet is an option that you can consider. I replaced my nexus 7 2013 with a Mi Max 2. Screen size is short by an inch (or less) but does all of the above with a 5000 mAh battery.

I have removed MIUI and instead use AOSP Oreo 8.1 roms for a more stock look & feel.
Old 28th September 2018, 13:19   #1673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
I had touch issues in my Nexus7 Tab about 6 months ago. Got it replaced for INR 6000 (appx) in ToToDo Malleshwaram, Bangalore branch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
My 2012 Nexus became nearly useless after an update in 2015.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Phablet is an option that you can consider.
Thanks for the input guys. We purchased a Lenovo Tab7 7304F Tablet (7 inch, 8GB, Wi-Fi Only) in Slate Black. It cost us about INR5500. Dad is happy with it.
Old 28th September 2018, 18:16   #1674
BHPian

Any recommended Microsoft service Center in Chennai or Bangalore ?. Have to repair my Surface Pro 4.
Old 1st October 2018, 15:48   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Had a quick first hand experience using the tablet. It is pretty decent for a sub 10k piece. The screen is adequately bright and the pictures are sharp looking. HD videos lag a bit, with pixellation evident during fast moving scenes. Reading newspapers and other texts is a breeze. The touch response is a tad slow as compared to phones in the same price bracket. The tablet runs on Android Nougat 7.0. All in all, a VFM purchase.
I have been eyeing on this tablet for a while now. This goes to my 3 year old who's lately into YouTube and basic gaming and I'm completely against him using our current 5" phones for hours together. Hence wanted a 10" tablet at sub-10k and this pops out to be somewhat confidence-inspiring of the lot. All my worries are now fixated on its A$$ and how to deal with it in case of a warranty issue / broken screen (which I can very well expect from my son).

Having said that, I'll be all eyes on the upcoming e-commerce sale as well, so if anything works out to be more bang for the buck(esp. Lenovo), I'm game to switch to it.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 1st October 2018, 16:17   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
I have been eyeing on this tablet for a while now. This goes to my 3 year old who's lately into YouTube and basic gaming and I'm completely against him using our current 5" phones for hours together. Hence wanted a 10" tablet
A tablet is equally a harmful device as a mobile. You might buy a 24" or 28" basic tv with usb/hdmi input and play downloaded videos or stream using chromecast/fire tv stick. This will be a better option for the eyes of your 3 yr old.
Old 4th October 2018, 11:15   #1677
Team-BHP Support

I currently have an iPad Pro 10.5 which I use for travel and portable use.

My primary device at home is a very old MAcbook Pro. Fearing its age I got the iPad as a backup device.

While the ipad is great for videos and media, it falls short on getting any work done. The main issue I find is the touchscreen. I am more comfortable with a touch pad or mouse and also would prefer windows over iOS.

My dad needs to change his first gen 5 year old iPad Air so I am planning on giving the iPad pro to him.

Now what I am looking for is a small portable device to augment the MAcbook Pro. The MAcbook pro being old is heavy and battery is 2-3 hours at best so it's pretty much being used as a desktop connected to my 24 inch monitor.

I also have a laptop from work but do not use it at home and only carry it when travelling if I know I will be working on that trip. which is quite often.

What I am looking for is a portable windows device that will allow me to not carry my office laptop when traveling and just use that device only. Secondly, will be used at home when moving around rather than lugging around the old Macbook. I don't need a another laptop and especially a windows one.

Right now looking at all the devices the only device that comes close is the Microsoft Surface go. Looks to be the perfect size and has whatever I need. The flip keyboard will be perfect when working and the kick stand perfect when viewing media. Ofcourse you don't get the Surface Go in India so will have to get from abroad.

Is there any device I am missing that I don't know about? The Surface go is coming to $620 with the keyboard case for the 8GB/128GB variant which looks pretty decent.
Old 4th October 2018, 11:56   #1678
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Is there any device I am missing that I don't know about? The Surface go is coming to $620 with the keyboard case for the 8GB/128GB variant which looks pretty decent.
The surface go while decent is grossly overpriced for the kind of power that it's CPU offers. Its supposed to get great battery life but all Windows devices trail something like an iPad in this area. I would rather suggest to move up to a proper Surface pro competitor from someone like Acer/Hp/lenovo. Some are available in India and if you can get them from abroad would be very good deals.
The major issue i have seen with surface devices is the lack of firmware updates and poor support overall, right from little niggles to major battery draining issues. Add to it the poor support in India. I would suggest looking at other brands. If you are okay with letting some battery life go in for the extra power by something like an i5 processor(even the U series are much better than the Pentium Y).
Old 17th October 2018, 09:52   #1679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The surface go while decent is grossly overpriced for the kind of power that it's CPU offers. Its supposed to get great battery life but all Windows devices trail something like an iPad in this area. I would rather suggest to move up to a proper Surface pro competitor from someone like Acer/Hp/lenovo. Some are available in India and if you can get them from abroad would be very good deals.
The major issue i have seen with surface devices is the lack of firmware updates and poor support overall, right from little niggles to major battery draining issues. Add to it the poor support in India. I would suggest looking at other brands. If you are okay with letting some battery life go in for the extra power by something like an i5 processor(even the U series are much better than the Pentium Y).
Thanks Agambhandari. Very useful post. Decided after your post that the iPad Pro is probably the best portable device still available.

I guess I should just replace the ageing MAcbook Pro and keep the iPad pro when traveling for portability.
Old 17th October 2018, 11:07   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
To add to that, Microsoft spares are very expensive or not available.
A colleague of mine junked her surface pro as the charging cable got damaged and the replacement was not available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks