Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2022, 19:37   #1726
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
How is the Xiaomi Pad 5? Considering the same for my Dad for work purposes. Mostly will be used for reading drafts & editing them.
So keyboard will be used all the time, why don't you consider a convertible laptop or even a Windows based detachable laptop-tablet instead?

You can get pretty decent convertible Chromebook or even Windows laptops/tablets with touch capabilities.

If portability, weight and budget are crucial points which won't allow going beyond a tablet then I will suggest the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE (12.4 inch screen) which sometimes can be grabbed at the discounted prices of around 37K or lower. S7 or S8 (11 inch) are also good choices where S8 is the latest gen Samsung tab with better specs.

Samsung S series tabs have the DEX feature which turns the Android interface easier to use with the keyboard-mouse.

iPads are the most preferred choice as tablets if you are okay with the Apple ecosystem and expensive official accessories.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 19th September 2022 at 19:40.
Old 19th September 2022, 20:57   #1727
BHPian

Any good 8" tablet in the market now? Have to have good screen (FHD at least) and performance.

ps: No iPad mini please. I already have an iPad Air 4.
Old 20th September 2022, 13:42   #1728
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
So keyboard will be used all the time, why don't you consider a convertible laptop or even a Windows based detachable laptop-tablet instead?
Keyboard won't be used all the time. What my Dad plans to do is dictate (voice typing) using Office 365 & he can do the correction with the pen on the tablet. This way he can save paper which are used for printing & making corrections on them. The laptops you mentioned are on the expensive side.

Quote:
You can get pretty decent convertible Chromebook or even Windows laptops/tablets with touch capabilities.
I had suggested a Dell Vostro with AMD Ryzen 5 processor for around 41k for him.

Quote:
If portability, weight and budget are crucial points which won't allow going beyond a tablet then I will suggest the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE (12.4 inch screen) which sometimes can be grabbed at the discounted prices of around 37K or lower. S7 or S8 (11 inch) are also good choices where S8 is the latest gen Samsung tab with better specs.
Will check these out. For a tablet, would limit my budget to around 32k with accessories.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 08:23   #1729
BHPian

iPad 10.2 inch Retina Display @ Rs.28,499 vs Samsung S6 Lite with S Pen @ Rs. 22,499

Need:

1. Read books on Kindle application (1 book a month, not a voracious reader anymore)

2. Watch movies & series (frequently)

3. Work on charts for stock market investments (almost daily) - reason why I wish to have S Pen which will help in marking, drawing lines and better interpetations

Dont wish to do office related work on the tab as for that I have the laptop.

I do not own or have used an Apple Phone before. Have a Samsung phone instead. Considering iPad only out of curiosity for Apple and iOS.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 20th October 2022 at 08:37.
Old 20th October 2022, 12:10   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
iPad 10.2 inch Retina Display @ Rs.28,499 vs Samsung S6 Lite with S Pen @ Rs. 22,499

Need:

1. Read books on Kindle application (1 book a month, not a voracious reader anymore)

3. Work on charts for stock market investments (almost daily) - reason why I wish to have S Pen which will help in marking, drawing lines and better interpetations

Dont wish to do office related work on the tab as for that I have the laptop.

I do not own or have used an Apple Phone before. Have a Samsung phone instead. Considering iPad only out of curiosity for Apple and iOS.
I do points 1 and 2 on my iPad and it has been very good for the usage. My daughter does play Minecraft as well, though the time has come down now. Not sure if you S pen requirement is a high priority, else you can go for the iPad. Got mine in 2020 and after 2.5 years it still runs like new. I bought the iPad as I thought it will last longer and it has proven me right so far, touchwood!!
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 21:28   #1731
BHPian

Quote:

iPad is clearly the better overall tablet, but for your use case I’d recommend the galaxy tab. iPad has a squarish aspect ratio which make it less useful for watching movies. Galaxy tab’s wider aspect ratio makes it better for movies, as it will have smaller black bands on top and bottom. Better yet, find one with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 21:51   #1732
BHPian

Any feedback on Samsung tab - s6 lite? With the ongoing discounts, the price comes out to be less than 20k. This includes an S pen, Qualcomm processor and confirmed update to Android 13 which seems like a great deal. My purpose is primarily internet browsing for blogs and YouTube videos.

https://www.samsung.com/in/tablets/g...hoCkCIQAvD_BwE

Quote:
Just saw this after posting my query.
@VWAllstar - Which one did you end up buying? Also please share your initial experience. Seems I am in the same boat and need to make the final decision over this weekend.

Last edited by warrioraks : 27th October 2022 at 21:55.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 08:05   #1733
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Just as a perspective, in early 2018, I completely stopped my use of my MacBook Air which I had been using since 2011 along with my Gen1 iPad, and gave them both away in the family. The users love them just as I did. These Apple things last forever more or less, if cared for.

I substituted the MacBook Air and iPad Gen1 with the iPad Pro 10.9 inch with matching magic keyboard and Apple Pencil Gen1. That was a superb machine. Great for work and play and videos and even sketching. Lovely sound too.

In 2020 I acquired an iPad Mini as well - I liked it because of its form factor and the compatibility with Apple Pencil Gen 1. Now this iPad Mini has become my general purpose device, emails, reading, youtube etc. It is light and portable hence I love it.

This year, 2022, a month or so ago, I got terribly tempted by the new Apple iPads. So I did some extensive research and realised that it was well worth upgrading to the new iPad Air since it offered almost everything that the new iPad Pro did, barring just one or two things which simply don't matter to me in an iPad. And the iPad Air is significantly less expensive than the iPad Pro. Of course I got the new magic keyboard and the Gen2 Apple Pencil too. So the old iPad Pro and its keyboard went off to someone inside the family and they too, love it as I did.

And I am as happy as a cricket with this upgrade.

Watching videos on the new iPad Air is absolutely wonderful. The sound and video quality is superb. And all my Apple devices sound even better when played through my HomePod Mini.

And all the other functions the iPad Air has, are wonderful as a go anywhere do anything all purpose work and play main device.

In my book, Apple is so far ahead of its competition in so many ways, especially the aesthetics, UX, UI and sheer intangible ‘joy’ factor, that I simply dont see myself stepping away from this parallel universe eco system that they have created.

Yes Im a prisoner. But a happy one. Maybe I have Stockholm Syndrome as far as Apple is concerned!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th October 2022 at 08:11.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 14:11   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Any feedback on Samsung tab - s6 lite? With the ongoing discounts, the price comes out to be less than 20k. This includes an S pen, Qualcomm processor and confirmed update to Android 13 which seems like a great deal. My purpose is primarily internet browsing for blogs and YouTube videos.

https://www.samsung.com/in/tablets/g...hoCkCIQAvD_BwE
Bumping this once to see if there are any suggestions.

Last edited by warrioraks : 29th October 2022 at 14:22.
Old 30th October 2022, 17:24   #1735
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
[b]

Need:

S.
Hi
Basically what you have described is an all purpose machine.
Incidentally I use my iPad Mini as my more or less
All purpose machine.
I read on it all the time. And I am a voracious reader even now. 3 books a month or so. I read magazines on it.
Watch Netflix and Prime and Tintin and Youtube. Browse the web and shop online on it.
I use it for work video conferences and all my emails both official and personal.

Specifically ref reading;
The Kindle App is beautifully integrated with Apple. I now hardly ever use my actual Kindle. I do all my reading on the iPad Mini.
One can set the iPad brightness to one’s comfort level. And within the Kindle App one can choose the font size and page colours one wants..

See the pics attached of Kindle on iPad and a magazine article on it too for your reference.

All this makes for a very comfortable experience. Atleast, I find it very comfortable. And indeed it is only in 2022 after hitting the age of 51, that I have begun wearing reading glasses because I checked my eyesight and have a small age related ‘power’ requirement now. So one cant really blame the eyesight issues solely on tablets and all.
Attached Thumbnails
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-094a5f1a91f44c29be00c3f716beba48.jpeg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-7346c7582fff4af9b3e37f087ed4fba1.jpeg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-9fa2d7b0bb1f402485b23270818b1071.jpeg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-1c3514c8a01640fdbef45050341a5286.jpeg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-ee2e359f009f4099805f3ada792ba83f.jpeg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-df865f199ac243c48528ce7c007068cb.jpeg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-539726c9782c4feab08dea195d7ca65d.jpeg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-1e780fbb0f28491aaf791f244d51674a.jpeg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-176f2e7e68734bfc895d77ceffae0427.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th October 2022 at 17:26.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:22   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Took a big jump and ordered the Samsung S8 128GB WiFi Variant along with the Samsung Keyboard. The entire set costed me Rs. 46,989/- with corporate discount. Was considering the iPad 10th Gen but then it was around Rs.41K (post discount) plus Rs.8K for the Apple Pen and an outrageously priced Apple Keyboard at Rs. 23.5K making the entire set cost Rs. 72.5K. Reading reviews on YT and a lot many reviews tilt towards S8 even when they compare with iPad Air. Now just hope the black friday sale of Samsung which starts tomorrow does not have tablets on sale. Even if they do, S8 should not be any lesser than my buying price

Last edited by VWAllstar : 23rd November 2022 at 21:23.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 10:08   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Is there any decent 7/8 inch tab with decent specs? All I see are tabs with low end (not even midrange) Mediatek chipsets, 2/3 gigs RAM and low resolution screens. In this era of online classes and work, why don't they make decent tablets anymore? Why do we have to go to Apple for a decent tablet?
After almost a year of searching for a decent 8 inch tablet, finally settled for a Realme pad mini 4G. It will replace my Android phone and will complement the iPhone 13.

It's an extremely budget device and the major drawback is the screen. It's got a 720p LCD with washed out colors. On the positive side the tab is built well and looks beautiful too (looks very much like an iPad mini). It's got a Unisoc T616 chipset and 3GB RAM. Despite the mediocre internals the tablet UI is quite snappy and multi-tasking is trouble free. Maybe the fact that OS is bloat free helps.

I just paid 12K for it so can't complain, although I would have happily paid twice much if it had a decent LCD panel as well. I have a 2 year old Samsung Tab A (10.1) - another budget device but with a sharp and colorful LCD, but the Exynos chipset in it is so pathetic that the UI crawls like crazy.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 09:41   #1738
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me a good docking station for Macbook Air M1? The port selection on this laptop is awful - but I was aware what I was getting into. Looking forward to your inputs and thanks in advance.
Old 14th August 2023, 11:29   #1739
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here got the One Plus pad and keyboard? I like that the keyboard has a trackpad.

Does samsung do anything similar?

Was considering the ipad air or the 2021 ipad pro m1 but the apple keyboard is just obscenely priced for what it is. A visit to the apple store and i was extremely underwhelmed by what i saw. I already use an older ipad air.

Last edited by Red Liner : 14th August 2023 at 11:31.
Old 15th August 2023, 16:24   #1740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Took a big jump and ordered the Samsung S8 128GB WiFi Variant along with the Samsung Keyboard. The entire set costed me Rs. 46,989/- with corporate discount. Was considering the iPad 10th Gen but then it was around Rs.41K (post discount) plus Rs.8K for the Apple Pen and an outrageously priced Apple Keyboard at Rs. 23.5K making the entire set cost Rs. 72.5K. Reading reviews on YT and a lot many reviews tilt towards S8 even when they compare with iPad Air. Now just hope the black friday sale of Samsung which starts tomorrow does not have tablets on sale. Even if they do, S8 should not be any lesser than my buying price
How is this working out so far? I am in the same boat as you are and I am wondering which way this boat will tilt

Pictures of your full set up would be nice
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks