Figo - The sensible car on paper 66 24.09%
i20 - Expensive but worth it! Reasons given in post 23 8.39%
Punto - Its not a TATA its a FIAT! 38 13.87%
Something else - Explained in a post 21 7.66%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 22:22   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

tanveer,

u can get car registered on rental address - no such nonsense. either have a sarkari bill in your name (bijli?) or just get yourself a sarkari bank account opened in Noida with that address. No further nonsense required.

let's discuss on this!
Old 24th October 2011, 15:00   #152
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Liva diesel (GD+safetly package) booked!

So in the end it was the last mile competition between Ritz and Liva.

Things Ritz(ABS Vdi) does better than Liva
1. Tachometer
2. Quieter engine

Liva scored on
1. Brakes
2. Airbags in the top end
3. Cabin space
4. Position of air intake, sump guard factory fitted
5. Looks
6. 4 speakers(no HU though) - But its a minor point.

Color booked is silver, which is a compromise. Wanted something like bright red or orange, but sadly, Toyota believes in giving dull useless colors. Can't do much about it.

Blue seems nice, but the problem with that is that its too dark, so high on maintenance.

so its silver. Original choice was white tough, but with the Safari in white, thought of going silver.

The version booked is GD+Safety package.

Delivery will be around January. Booked in hometown as I did not want to go through Noida authority circus regarding their weird address proof rules.

I will be tranferring NCB ( 3+ years without a claim) of my old Indica to this new vehicle. Hopefully, will be able to get the "Zero depreciation on plastic" scheme from Bajaj Alliance.

So long folks, thanks for all your suggestion.

If you are wondering what all cars got left out and why?

Well here are all the remaining contenders, in order of their standing

1. Micra D - Our favorite, but the brakes were bad, and no choice of ABS. Service availability and low GC was also a factor.
2. I20 - I loved it, but every owner I spoke to told me that service costs(regular) touch that of a 9L sedan. The way Hyundai tried to brush the steering rattle thingy under the carpet also led to negative score. Finally, with ABS and Airbags, the price was prohibitive. No point paying 5.8L just for a powerful engine with no safety features.
3. Figo - Felt underpowered after 80kmph. Crawling in city in second gear also an issue. And Ford reliablity also suspect
4. Swift D - No VFM. Ritz gives same features for less money, so it was out
5. Beat D - Too small, and low power for highways (56PS in a one tonne car!)

Tata and fiat were driven, but I have had enough of TASS circus. Time to go to the other TASS.
Lets see if they will keep a Liva owner as happy as a SUV owner.

Couple of Innova and Corolla owners also swayed me towards Toyota.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 00:22   #153
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva diesel (GD+safetly package) booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So in the end it was the last mile competition between Ritz and Liva.

Liva scored on
1. Brakes
2. Airbags in the top end
3. Cabin space
4. Position of air intake, sump guard factory fitted
5. Looks
6. 4 speakers(no HU though) - But its a minor point.

Color booked is silver, which is a compromise. Wanted something like bright red or orange, but sadly, Toyota believes in giving dull useless colors. Can't do much about it.

Blue seems nice, but the problem with that is that its too dark, so high on maintenance.

so its silver. Original choice was white tough, but with the Safari in white, thought of going silver.

The version booked is GD+Safety package.

Tata and fiat were driven, but I have had enough of TASS circus. Time to go to the other TASS.
Lets see if they will keep a Liva owner as happy as a SUV owner.

Couple of Innova and Corolla owners also swayed me towards Toyota.
Congrats Tsk, for joining the big T family. I am sure you will be stay happy with your purchase.
Meanwhile, since Red is available, why didn't you opt for it? It is not bright, but looks good IMO. Well, Silver was the car i checked out in the showroom and i feel its the next best color for Liva (After Blue and Red, IMO)

Wish you many many happy miles ahead! Please post your initial ownership review and also initial mileage, once you receive your Silverstreak
Old 25th October 2011, 02:21   #154
Senior - BHPian

Good Choice there TSK!! Enjoy happy miles on that car.

What was the final deal and what accessories that are given / opted for?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 09:38   #155
Team-BHP Support

Congrats. I think it's the perfect choice Tanveer. Even though the Ritz is a very good car overall somehow it was not to my liking. I think the car begins to show wear and tear a bit too early and can't take abuse.

Just sat in a 2 month old Ritz VDi that is very well maintained but already has a some irritating rattles and some strange suspension sounds. Engine sounded a bit restricted as well.

Incase of the Liva you need to remember one thing. You will not get the same reliability, hassle free ownership and after sales service as a Corolla or Innova owner.

The Liva is a Toyota but it is not an over engineered one like an Innova or the Altis. The service part is separate at some dealers for Etios and Liva owners.

There will be small issues which will crop up but definitely not any issues that will leave you stranded in the middle of the highway.

ps: You mentioned you wanted bright red, they have a dark red which looks pretty good.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 09:53   #156
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tanveer, time to update the thread title! Wish you many kilometers of happy motoring!

I could be wrong but I do agree with Viddy that the overall Liva experience may be "different", I'll be awaiting your ownership thread with keen interest!
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 09:59   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats tanveer on finally booking that Toyota. Let your servicing experience start and you will actually realise how much difference is there between the 2 TASS.
So what is the waiting period for you? 4 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I could be wrong but I do agree with Viddy that the overall Liva experience may be "different", I'll be awaiting your ownership thread with keen interest!
Sir we are still waiting for your ownership thread too for the X1. Or did I manage to miss it somehow?

Last edited by drmohitg : 25th October 2011 at 10:02.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 11:00   #158
Team-BHP Support

Re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Congrats Tsk, for joining the big T family. I am sure you will be stay happy with your purchase.
Meanwhile, since Red is available, why didn't you opt for it? It is not bright, but looks good IMO. Well, Silver was the car i checked out in the showroom and i feel its the next best color for Liva (After Blue and Red, IMO)

Wish you many many happy miles ahead! Please post your initial ownership review and also initial mileage, once you receive your Silverstreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Good Choice there TSK!! Enjoy happy miles on that car.

What was the final deal and what accessories that are given / opted for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Congrats. I think it's the perfect choice Tanveer. Even though the Ritz is a very good car overall somehow it was not to my liking. I think the car begins to show wear and tear a bit too early and can't take abuse.

Just sat in a 2 month old Ritz VDi that is very well maintained but already has a some irritating rattles and some strange suspension sounds. Engine sounded a bit restricted as well.

Incase of the Liva you need to remember one thing. You will not get the same reliability, hassle free ownership and after sales service as a Corolla or Innova owner.

The Liva is a Toyota but it is not an over engineered one like an Innova or the Altis. The service part is separate at some dealers for Etios and Liva owners.

There will be small issues which will crop up but definitely not any issues that will leave you stranded in the middle of the highway.

ps: You mentioned you wanted bright red, they have a dark red which looks pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Congrats Tanveer, time to update the thread title! Wish you many kilometers of happy motoring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congrats tanveer on finally booking that Toyota. Let your servicing experience start and you will actually realise how much difference is there between the 2 TASS.
So what is the waiting period for you? 4 months?

Sir we are still waiting for your ownership thread too for the X1. Or did I manage to miss it somehow?
Thanks guys!
Actually dark red is good, but its not red, its Maroon. The Blue is Rin blue not ink blue. That said none of the colors, except Rin are really "popping". We once had a Rin 800, and it was tough selling it.
I guess Rin does not have good resale. Now if there was an Ariel green, I would have thought about it, as its more modern.

Coming to the A.S.S. experience, as long as I do not have to visit service center every fortnight to fix this sensor or that sensor, I am pretty happy.
I do not care if they do not give me tea and cold drinks. All I want is in and out in a day, once every 10,000kms
Thats it.

Waiting is 4 months, and no freebies offered. However, I will get insurance done myself(get NCB of indica transferred), and also do the registeration bit myself, and save some money there.
Nowadays, none of the dealers of any good selling diesel vehicle are giving freebies. Except Tata of course.
Old 25th October 2011, 11:23   #159
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tanveer Looking forward to your ownership report. How much did it cost you though?
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 12:10   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congrats Tanveer Looking forward to your ownership report. How much did it cost you though?
Thanks
The total on road cost for the "Safety package" version is 6.3L
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 12:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Congrats tsk1979 on arriving at the decision. Nothing like finding a car which suits ones requirement.

Hope the Liva D serve you well for miles to come.

I think you should keep some money aside for damping the car. I feel the Liva needs it. Looking forward to a great ownership thread come 2012.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:38   #162
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tanveer. Is the waiting period due to addition of safety features ?
Because in Pune, a friend of my dad's got a Liva G diesel in 1 month after booking. I believe he could have gotten it sooner , but he chose to get it last Thursday. Looking forward to your ownership report.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:41   #163
Team-BHP Support

Toyota seriously needs to realise that they are losing out on sales of Liva D only because they do not have a fully loaded V-D or VX-D variant.

If I was looking for a diesel hatch in that segment my money would go for the Liva V-D variant. It's the most practical hatch in the segment!!
Old 25th October 2011, 13:47   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice decision Tanveer!

Just helped a friend do TDs & decide to buy the Etios over other options in the 5-7 lakhs bracket. Both the Etios twins are good cars - no frills, but solid on the basic car elements. Glad to see you opted for this over the feel-good factor Maruti

Once you get the car, please keep an active ownership thread - this forum needs more with regards to the Etios twins. There is this thread going on Etios issues based on an ad (& website) by a disgruntled etios owner. Funny aspect - the ad owner (who is now a tbhp member) has gone silent when people questioned his comments & the website, but there are a host of non-Etios owners who are still arguing about this car (negatives)!
Old 25th October 2011, 14:30   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Funny aspect - the ad owner (who is now a tbhp member) has gone silent when people questioned his comments & the website
I'm guessing you haven't visited "that" thread in a while, he has spoken -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2555364
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2557289

Last edited by suman : 25th October 2011 at 14:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks