Figo - The sensible car on paper 66 24.09%
i20 - Expensive but worth it! Reasons given in post 23 8.39%
Punto - Its not a TATA its a FIAT! 38 13.87%
Something else - Explained in a post 21 7.66%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 00:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
There's only one problem with the Alto. Tanveer can't fit inside one!!!

Actually he just might, but we would have to remove the front seats.
He'll manage. Just has he has for 20 years with the 800
Old 28th June 2011, 07:20   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, Micra was a contender, but from the brochure it appears that diesel is available only in the 5.69 variant.
For that kind of money, I would take the i20
Remember, the cheaper the better
Well, I missed on the price part (even then, I personally feel Micra is a better option than the i20.).

If Micra is ruled out, the 3rd option from me will be the Figo – for the price, it is safe and spacious VFM buy. And from my personal experience, the Ford A.S&S is pretty good.
Old 28th June 2011, 07:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

in the figo vs ritz debate there is one factor that i would like to throw in. you have to stoop inside a figo, whereas you can walk into a ritz. that was a major downer for me considering mum is getting older.
Old 28th June 2011, 08:19   #34
Team-BHP Support

Sir ; Try to take a test-drive of the Cars you are short-listing.

Almost all the Cars listed are the same as far as reliability goes, all (most) A.S.S are the same, have the same attitude (milk the customer).

Few Figo's have clocked 20K+ w/o any hiccups and when the engine on the Fiesta and Figo are same, you don't expect Figo to run into problems, do you?

A Ford ain't a Honda or the old M-800, but have seen Ikon's and Fiesta's clocking 1L km+ with scheduled service to show for. Yes, there are not very shining examples out there, but there are always two sides of a coin.

Save for GP, the Figo feels the nicest to drive (if there is such a criterion)

Happy Buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
The dash quality, fit & finish is better than Figo.
Yes yes yes

Last edited by Sheel : 28th June 2011 at 08:28.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know that mods can also have A.S.S. phobia.

Well jokes apart, I totally understand how you feel (Even I suffer from A.S.S. phobia). No matter how experienced and knowledgeable you are about cars, there comes a point in life when one just needs a no-nonsense, reliable and niggle-free vehicle.

I don't think you have any choices other than Ritz. I suggest you get the LDi and go for MGA front power windows and tyre/wheel upgrade.

A tall boy car like Ritz would suit you ideally since you have a history of back problems.

No point in waiting for the new Swift (I still don't understand what is so new about it). It has not been launched yet, plus there is bound to be a long waiting period.

You might want to wait for the Beat diesel (if you find the cabin space and boot space to be sufficient for your physique).

Rohan
Old 28th June 2011, 10:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, I do not have the same luck as you do. So its Tata to Tata.
None of the other cars have ABS or Airbags, so I won't really miss them
Well, then the next best shout for your requirements seems to be the Figo. The Ritz and the Beat diesel may very well be the dark horses though!

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th June 2011 at 10:25.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:30   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
in the figo vs ritz debate there is one factor that i would like to throw in. you have to stoop inside a figo, whereas you can walk into a ritz. that was a major downer for me considering mum is getting older.
Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sir ; Try to take a test-drive of the Cars you are short-listing.

Almost all the Cars listed are the same as far as reliability goes, all (most) A.S.S are the same, have the same attitude (milk the customer).

Few Figo's have clocked 20K+ w/o any hiccups and when the engine on the Fiesta and Figo are same, you don't expect Figo to run into problems, do you?

A Ford ain't a Honda or the old M-800, but have seen Ikon's and Fiesta's clocking 1L km+ with scheduled service to show for. Yes, there are not very shining examples out there, but there are always two sides of a coin.

Save for GP, the Figo feels the nicest to drive (if there is such a criterion)

Happy Buying

Yes yes yes
Taking a test drive of all these candidates this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I didn't know that mods can also have A.S.S. phobia.

Well jokes apart, I totally understand how you feel (Even I suffer from A.S.S. phobia). No matter how experienced and knowledgeable you are about cars, there comes a point in life when one just needs a no-nonsense, reliable and niggle-free vehicle.

I don't think you have any choices other than Ritz. I suggest you get the LDi and go for MGA front power windows and tyre/wheel upgrade.

A tall boy car like Ritz would suit you ideally since you have a history of back problems.

No point in waiting for the new Swift (I still don't understand what is so new about it). It has not been launched yet, plus there is bound to be a long waiting period.

You might want to wait for the Beat diesel (if you find the cabin space and boot space to be sufficient for your physique).

Rohan
LDI + MGA front power windows seems like a nice bet, but how reliable will be the fitment when not from factory. Thats why I was thinking about the Vdi.
That said, Beat diesel is also on radar. If they price it around 4, it will be best suited to us. All we need is 100-110kmph cruising speed capability, and reasonable stability.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
None from the list!

Instead, wait for the all-new generation Swift that's just around the corner. The current Swift is one heck of a hatchback, the new one will only be better. You can expect the next-gen Swift to retain the core qualities of the current (fun to drive, nice chassis, punchy diesel) and be safer as well.

Plus, there is always something special about driving a freshly launched car. Wait, it's only 3 months away.
Or you could pick up a used Swift when the new one is launched

I still think an Indica would make more sense if you want to avoid A.S.S., as Tatas have one of the best diesel engines (in terms of reliable performance) and you can find so many mechanics who can work on it.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LDI + MGA front power windows seems like a nice bet, but how reliable will be the fitment when not from factory. Thats why I was thinking about the Vdi.
That said, Beat diesel is also on radar. If they price it around 4, it will be best suited to us. All we need is 100-110kmph cruising speed capability, and reasonable stability.
MGA power windows would come with warranty. If fitted at a reputed dealership, reliability should not be an issue.

If you can afford a Vdi, nothing like it. Also, Vdi would fetch better value during resale.

But somehow I can't digest the price difference between the Lxi/Ldi and the Vxi/Vdi. And its not just the extra ex-showroom price, the road tax and insurance are also higher (since they are linked to the ex-showroom price). Not a problem in NCR, but in Bangalore the collective difference can be a considerable amount.

IIRC, the extra goodies in Vxi/Vdi are 4 power windows, RPM meter and fog lamps. Rear defogger and washer/wiper are missing in Vxi/Vdi also. If you are interested in ABS variant, go for the Vdi. Otherwise Ldi seems more VFM.

Beat diesel would be cheaper, but if I were you, I wouldn't put my money on a product which is new in the market. It is a brand new engine and its performance needs to be seen in the long run. Also it would be a 3-cylinder engine optimised for FE. Its performance can't be compared to DDIS engine.

You are looking for a trouble free car with proven reliability. If you opt for Beat diesel immediately after its launch, you are conflicting with you basic requirements posted in the opening post.

Have you been inside a Beat petrol ? Do you find the space to be sufficient ? Take a TD of Beat petrol and see if it suits you, space wise.

Rohan
Old 28th June 2011, 11:32   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
None from the list!

Instead, wait for the all-new generation Swift that's just around the corner. The current Swift is one heck of a hatchback, the new one will only be better. You can expect the next-gen Swift to retain the core qualities of the current (fun to drive, nice chassis, punchy diesel) and be safer as well.

Plus, there is always something special about driving a freshly launched car. Wait, it's only 3 months away.
Absolutely agree with GTO, I've been waiting for this as well. The prospect of a new swift with most of the problems of the older swift ironed away with the exception of a smaller boot is absolutely mouth watering to me.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:04   #41
BHPian

I had the same dilemma 3 months back and picked the Figo TDCi Titanium. Done 4500 Km till now and am pretty happy with my decision. Space is one thing it offers, much more than the Maruti sisters (rear and boot) and safety equipment is another one. It is not a perfect car by any means, but ticks most of the boxes what a budget conscious buyer is looking for. Driving pleasure is a bonus. For me, this was an intermediate upgrade (urgent need for diesel for my kind of running before upgrading to a sedan or SUV) from the 5 year old Santro, which is still with me. Didn't find the A.S.S of Ford to be a problem (I'm used to Hyundai service quality). Ritz is also a good choice if you need higher seating position and is not particular about airbags.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post

Didn't find the A.S.S of Ford to be a problem (I'm used to Hyundai service quality).

that's the feedback I got from a lot of people at work who have owned Santro in the past and Ford (usually Fiesta, but a few Ikons too) now.

Most guys raving about Maruti-A.S.S. have never owned anything but Maruti (and a few had Tata).

In fact on the Figo official thread you'll find that while BHPians are complaining about niggles, they are not complaining about indifference from the service guys - the service center guys are always trying to help.

In my "research" (I took 8 months to decide) I found one trait - when people talk Maruti their expectations somehow are low to begin with. Maruti is synonymous with M800 and Alto in people's mind and expectations are (rightly) low. So niggles (and they DO HAPPEN) are easily excused.

When they talk about Ford their expectations are higher (synonymous so far with more expensive cars) - of course with similar service they still complain.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

This is easy - Ritz LDi it has to be IMO. Its cheaper than 5.5L too

Why bother waiting & paying even a penny more for a Swift LDi?

Last edited by bblost : 28th June 2011 at 12:52. Reason: Please do not quote large posts in full. Thanks.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:54   #44
Team-BHP Support

MY expectations are very low.
1. Should need to take the car to service center only for service, and get minor "niggles" fixed then
2. AC conking out is not a niggle. Nor is car breaking down. These two things should not happen. A rattle here or a rattle there does not matter. But nothing should stop functioning. For example, power windows should not jam on whim.
3. I should not need to pay XXXX extra on every service because some rubber part or other got worn out.

I guess a Figo TD and Beat TD is due this weekend.
Old 28th June 2011, 15:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Cant vote two hence voted Swift. You could also look at Ritz. As A.S.S. is your top-top priority i would suggest stick to Maruti. I hear Ford is closer and better now but have no experience with them yet. Maruti i can vouch for as far as peace of mind is concerned and trust me having an Indica (Every month or alternate month visits to Concorde) before Baleno (Visits only for regular service for first 5 years) i can feel where you are coming from.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 28th June 2011 at 15:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks