Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 16:32   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10

Ah, the seat-height adjust function is something I don't require, so I'd completely forgotten about it!

You could get better alloys, IMO. Although the stock ones are decent.

The 'box in the Brio is quite alright when I'd driven it. But it was a short drive so didn't feel the obvious rubbery-ness. The Jazz's 'box does feel notchy from 1st to 2nd. It doesn't slot in comfortably, and does tend to 'slip' occasionally.

Despite this, I'd still say that the shift-quality is very good for a small-car, and is possibly one of the best out there.
Old 8th March 2012, 17:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
You could get better alloys, IMO. Although the stock ones are decent.
Not just the alloys. What about the tyres. I think V variant has better tyres. They are definitely wider than my I10's. Not sure of tyres on S and E variants though.
Old 8th March 2012, 17:17   #93
Team-BHP Support

^^ While buying a Honda, you gotta choose the brand of tyre carefully. Walk away from MRFs and Goodyears. The Michellins are definitely the better bet. That said, the Brio's handling characteristics are superior, when compared to the i10.

The i10, being a tall-boy does not help its case. The Brio is a whole lot wider. Nearly as wide as the Swift, I think. And it's not as tall as the Hyundai. So theoretically, it should be a better handler. And it is. The 175 section tyres help too. The i10 doesn't come equipped with rubber as wide as that, I presume.
Old 8th March 2012, 17:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Despite this, I'd still say that the shift-quality is very good for a small-car, and is possibly one of the best out there.
I think shift quality is the best in a Polo or Fabia if small car means hatchback. Gear shift in a Brio is better than i10 but we cannot still say that i10 is poor.
Model on model, the i10 works out to be about 30k cheaper than Brio (i10 may have an feature more not less) considering all discounts etc on offer across India.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 22:21   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Not just the alloys. What about the tyres. I think V variant has better tyres. They are definitely wider than my I10's. Not sure of tyres on S and E variants though.
All the variants of Brio have same tyres, unlike Maruti which gives puny tyres on lower variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
I think shift quality is the best in a Polo or Fabia if small car means hatchback. Gear shift in a Brio is better than i10 but we cannot still say that i10 is poor.
Model on model, the i10 works out to be about 30k cheaper than Brio (i10 may have an feature more not less) considering all discounts etc on offer across India.
I found Brio's gear shift to have shorter travel than i10s.

That said, i found i10's clutch slightly lighter than the Brio.

Another good thing about Brio is that even the base model has tachometer and front power windows.

But how Honda missed on providing internal adjustable OVRMs even in S model is beyond my reasoning.

Last edited by DCEite : 18th March 2012 at 22:24.
Old 20th March 2012, 19:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ While buying a Honda, you gotta choose the brand of tyre carefully. Walk away from MRFs and Goodyears. The Michellins are definitely the better bet. That said, the Brio's handling characteristics are superior, when compared to the i10.
I saw around 4-5 different brios and none of them came with michelins. All had either the lousy zvtv tyres or the even lousier good years. All of them are 175/65 R14 though. I drove straight to Madhus from the showroom.

As far as the box is concerned - its not very clicky but quite smooth. Never really had an issue. The clutch is a bit rough but quite short travel so it doesn't cause too much trouble. My cedia's clutch is way way better.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 20th March 2012 at 19:04.
Old 20th March 2012, 23:08   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I saw around 4-5 different brios and none of them came with michelins. All had either the lousy zvtv tyres or the even lousier good years. All of them are 175/65 R14 though. I drove straight to Madhus from the showroom.

As far as the box is concerned - its not very clicky but quite smooth. Never really had an issue. The clutch is a bit rough but quite short travel so it doesn't cause too much trouble. My cedia's clutch is way way better.
Odd. Honda usually gives customers the option of choosing tyre brands. Check with the dealer if Michelins are available. They may be more expensive, but worth it.

When I test-drove the Brio, I found the 'box to be better than the Jazz. It wasn't notchy and slotted into gear rather well. The clutch was relatively light, but a bit springy and sensitive.
Old 20th March 2012, 23:52   #98
BHPian

Is the Brio clutch cable one or hydraulic? If cable, may need adjustment and things would be fine. Second gear in mine is particularly hard to slot.

However, its no shade compared with precise shifting Polo. Also, lack of torque needs a lot more gearshift. Or maybe I am driving 1.2L engine after a long time and not revving too much due to running in period.
Old 21st March 2012, 06:29   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
I think one can gain this Rs20K out of servicing costs. Every service (paid) at Hyundai costs more than Rs4K with so many things (either wanted or unwanted) thrown in at your costs. Honda may not cost this bomb every six months. Cost of ownership in an i10 is certainly more.
gururaj r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 09:53   #100
Senior - BHPian

I would pick the Brio over the i10. Haven't driven one yet, but almost all reviews that I saw/ read till now raved about the powertrain and the chuckability of the little Honda.

The i10 powertrain is also good but it is not a car that one can throw around corners.

Read up this rather brief TG UK review on Brio. TG's first drive of the Honda Brio - BBC Top Gear

PS: Don't bother the comparison with Nano.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:38   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
I think one can gain this Rs20K out of servicing costs. Every service (paid) at Hyundai costs more than Rs4K with so many things (either wanted or unwanted) thrown in at your costs. Honda may not cost this bomb every six months. Cost of ownership in an i10 is certainly more.
I find my Civic cheaper to service that the Accent I had before that. Logically the Civic should cost more to maintain. This Hyundai habit of adding sundries will cost them dear. I am waiting for an AT in the hatch segment (Brio/Jazz) before I buy my next car. The i20 is slipping down my list. I may even consider the City as an option, or the Dzire AT as other options.

Also, service at Honda is much more pleasurable. The SA flags the sheet with CW (customer waiting) and you get the car faster. Also, there is a nice owner's lounge with Internet, etc.
Old 21st March 2012, 15:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

This weekend we went to the Honda Showroom to take a look at Brio, my BIL might end up buying one sooner or later. Later he also mentioned that he would like to take a look at i10 as well.

Going by the experiences and impressions on this thread, i would suggest him a Honda any-day over Hyundai.

How would owners who have looked at both, or own both compare space inside. Brio does looked cramped, but that is after driving Civic (So might not be totally right).
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:45   #103
BHPian

Guys any ideas regarding adding CNG/LPG option while making choice. I do not know anyone who is using CNG/LPG regularly so do not know about pros or cons of the same. Please enlighten.
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:48   #104
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2012 at 13:59.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd March 2012, 23:55   #105
Team-BHP Support

^^ If you intend to keep the car for 5 years, I don't recommend CNG. Also, I'd never recommend CNG-LPG conversions anyway. Especially on a Honda. The 1.2 in the Brio is a gem of a motor. It's meant to drink petrol and be as reliable and fuel-efficient as it can be, while being refined and punchy. Why ruin all that by doing something 'unnatural'.

If you really need to run your car on CNG/LPG, get a used Alto/Wagon-R and get the conversion done on that.

There are people who buy Civic and get the conversion done. It is possible, and you may benefit from it, in terms of savings. But is it really worth it? Wouldn't you want that iVtec mill to be in perfect condition, with many miles left in it, when you'd want to sell it?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks