Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 00:04   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
I'm not asking about a regular service, I'm talking about an AMC! You know where you pay once for all services in a year ... Annual Maintenance Cost
The annual maintenance costs for the Santro is certainly a lot higher than the Hondas. I'd say the Hondas' 'AMC' put together would be just a little ahead of the Santros. I don't have the exact figures. But my Santro has leaked us quite a lot of money, especially in the last 4 years.
Old 10th May 2012, 00:09   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The annual maintenance costs for the Santro is certainly a lot higher than the Hondas. I'd say the Hondas' 'AMC' put together would be just a little ahead of the Santros. I don't have the exact figures. But my Santro has leaked us quite a lot of money, especially in the last 4 years.
I did not see that coming. Hyundai charging more than Honda. Unless the car has a problem I find that hard to believe, not to mention I'm still looking out for an answer to my question

If it helps you to compare, My last AMC was 6k for my 2yr old i10. I recently noticed a tight clutch, donno how much that'll be.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:03   #123
BANNED

@ankur_fox; I was myself surprised. The service rates for Honda are just marginally lower, but they do not add charges like Injector cleaning, this and that spray etc. Filters, if anything are cheaper. As mentioned earlier I am finding my Civic cheaper to service and maintain that my earlier (a segment lower) Accent. Also, body repair charges are somewhat lower.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:05   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ankur_fox; I was myself surprised. The service rates for Honda are just marginally lower, but they do not add charges like Injector cleaning, this and that spray etc. Filters, if anything are cheaper. As mentioned earlier I am finding my Civic cheaper to service and maintain that my earlier (a segment lower) Accent. Also, body repair charges are somewhat lower.
Have you had a chance to calculate how much was spent on servicing Civic for a year? I am assisting a friend in choosing either an i10 or a Brio.

What you say about servicing with Honda might just be an indicator that in the end it may add up to be more than H.

His heart is set on the Brio, but the wallet dances with i10
Old 10th May 2012, 15:38   #125
BANNED

Please see my thread for the actual bills. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...silver-12.html Remove the body damage and blown condenser.
Old 10th May 2012, 18:03   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did not see that coming. Hyundai charging more than Honda. Unless the car has a problem I find that hard to believe, not to mention I'm still looking out for an answer to my question

If it helps you to compare, My last AMC was 6k for my 2yr old i10. I recently noticed a tight clutch, donno how much that'll be.
Since you're rather adamant, I shall provide you with the break-up of the service figures for the year.

2010 Jazz (AMC) Service was done once every 3 months and costed us (in Rupees) 2245, 2673, 2640, and 2588 = 10,146

2006 Honda Civic (AMC) Service is done twice a year and costed us 6277 (door beading adjustment and a part replace - not sure which part) and 2123 and that amounts to 8400.

2003 Hyundai Santro (two services + replacement of crank sensor or some such part) 7580 + 5450 + 6050 and that amounts to 19k

Quote:
Have you had a chance to calculate how much was spent on servicing Civic for a year? I am assisting a friend in choosing either an i10 or a Brio.

What you say about servicing with Honda might just be an indicator that in the end it may add up to be more than H.

His heart is set on the Brio, but the wallet dances with i10
If he wants a fun-to-drive car with loads of character + reliability and refinement, the Honda is the way to go. If he is the sort who values features and equipment along with practicality (solely because of the much larger boot) then the i10 should be his kind of car.

The Brio lacks in some departments. the boot could have been bigger. And when you're spending around 6 lakhs for a hatch, you'd expect it to have features like rear windscreen-wipers, CD player and climate-control (not sure if the i10 has this) but it's still a competent hatch because it's a well sorted handling-performance package coupled with better reliability and service costs.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 18:13   #127
BHPian

@suhaas307

thanks for that! That's a super post. I'm sure I'll be able to guide him now. A well maintained and well driven H will be better than a similar H it seems. Very cool.
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 20:16   #128
BHPian

Not sure, Suhaas, if it is fair to compare the maintenance costs of an 9-yr-old car. I would expect the costs to be significantly higher, assuming that it has covered considerable number of kilometers, necessitating additional repair/replacement of crucial parts.

Consider my i10, for instance. The TOTAL maintenance (second and third service costs, the first being free)) of my i10 has been Rs 3000 since I purchased it in December 2010. Not a single problem and not a niggle till date, having covered 19K kms. What I like about my i10 is that it is reliable and does what it is expected to do.

My i10 feels good, has great fit and finish, has good fitments, has a great engine, a great gear box, a great AC, a great boot space (for a tall-bodied hatch, considering that the Swift and Wagon-R have reduced their boot space from previous editions), has great pan-India service presence (very assuring, if one is in the habit of regular inter-state trips) and above all, delivers a little bit of everything. What is even better (for me) is that the i10 has delivered an average FE of 17 kmpl (under varied conditions) after undertaking 27 FE tests (using auto top-off method).

The Brio may certainly offer a lot and it is well expected to do so, considering that it arrived much after the i10. I would have expected Honda to have kept the i10 as its yardstick to create an equally (if not more) competent car in the Brio.

At the end of the day, I am inclined to believe that BOTH cars are great in their respective areas and it is unlikely that there will be an undisputed winner between them.

Last edited by misquitas : 12th May 2012 at 20:31.
Old 12th May 2012, 20:28   #129
Senior - BHPian

I will go with a Brio any day despite my hatred for Honda A.S.S. and having owned a i10 kappa over the last 2 years. Not that Hyundai A.S.S. is any better. these days, i guess all the A.S.S. are out to take you for a ride..

Brio anyday would be far more reliable and of better quality than the i10 as it ages. I am using my 11 year old OHC as a yardstick here - still running strong with no major work done...actually nothing even minor

My i10, as soon as it stepped out of warranty, conked off its A/C. the bill - Rs5000+ for changing the condenser coil + extras. the A.S.S technician told me that its a must to take extended warranty because such parts are known to fail in many cars.
Old 12th May 2012, 21:26   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
2010 Jazz (AMC) Service was done once every 3 months and costed us (in Rupees) 2245, 2673, 2640, and 2588 = 10,146
Does this cover the cost of consumables (oil, filters, brake pad etc) or only the service charge?
Old 12th May 2012, 22:48   #131
gpa
Senior - BHPian

One of the main reasons that made me think of a change in alliance from Hyundai to Honda was the rising costs of services. Being a Hyundai (Santro) owner for well over 7 years, I have seen the costs steadily increase.

The Santro's major services are at the 30k mark where plugs, gearbox oil and coolant are changed. Here's a fact - my Santro's 60k service was ~5700, the 70k service was ~7000 and the 80k service was ~7000 again. That being said, my car is well maintained and has not had any major part changes apart from two Level 1 overhauls of the a/c system.

Its just that Hyundai A.S.S just adds on the "consumables" bit which includes a LOT of tiny things which in the end hikes up the overall figure. They also tend to play around with what is known in Marketing parlance as, "the left digit effect" pricing and most of the service bills tally like Rs. 6988.
Old 13th May 2012, 01:57   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Not sure, Suhaas, if it is fair to compare the maintenance costs of an 9-yr-old car. I would expect the costs to be significantly higher, assuming that it has covered considerable number of kilometers, necessitating additional repair/replacement of crucial parts.
You won't believe it, but our Civic has done 55k in 5 years, but my 8 year old Santro has been driven only within the city and rarely. And it has been maintained extremely well. For an 8 year old car, it has done only 45k. Still, it's 8 years old. So as you said rightly, it isn't fair comparing them.

But Hyundais I've observed, command greater service/maintenance-costs.

You're right though, you can't have an undisputed winner between the i10 and Brio. both have their positives and negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Does this cover the cost of consumables (oil, filters, brake pad etc) or only the service charge?
All inclusive.
Old 13th May 2012, 07:41   #133
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Personally I prefer the Brio. Newer technology, newer, fresher looks and a very nice little car indeed!
If I were to choose, no prizes for guessing which one!
Old 13th May 2012, 09:35   #134
BANNED

suhaas; Now Honda have changed their service recommendations. 6 months/10000km is the norm. Also, 6months for oil change with a semi-synth or annual with a synth. There is a case somewhere on this forum where they 'forced' a member's father to take the car in after three months, he raised stink and they ultimately had to give him a credit voucher for the charges. I get calls every three months and just tick them off.

My policy has been 10000/12months since 1991 at least. Once the Civic is out of warranty that is what I will revert to. I have been doing it for my Santro for the past five years!
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 12:16   #135
BHPian

Finally the day has come!

I'm gonna purchase my first car and now I understand what it is like to be really being confused and being pampered with multiple options(?) and tech specs.

Here are the pre-conditions -
  • Its for a family of 4 adults (as of now!).I do see cases where all 4 of us would be travelling together often. - spacious
  • Car will be driven mostly in a small town with not much traffic and decent roads. - driving condition
  • I do not foresee the monthly run to exceed 250 km. - usage
  • When I'm out of town my dad would be using it (He has learnt driving very recently) - ease of driving
  • Boot space is a factor to consider, as there would be cases where we would be using it to carry some farm products back home for our usage.
  • last but not least, Budget - 5 Lakh
I live in a place bordering Kerala and I have decided to buy the car in that state itself. I would be filling the fuel mostly there. (All thanks to tax regime in place in Karnataka).

I have these cars in mind -

Petrol
Brio - I just fell in love with this car for its looks,engine and what it offers as a package and I would standout in "crowd", at least as of now.
i10 - Reliable , tested , proven product.
A-star Automatic - ease of driving,no other factor impressed me.
Swift - Same reason as i10 and idea of being part of a herd.
Ritz - Falls within budget and heard/read few good things about it.
Beat - VFM package.
i20 - Very spacious and good looking car with some cool features. that's it.

Diesel
Only diesel i could afford in this budget limit is Beat diesel.Hence included.

Now comes the tricky part, to land in front of my house I need drive up hill an intimidating driveway (shown below). It requires some amount of skill to drive all the way up as it is a steep climb up and there is a small bend plus short climb (not shown in pic) just outside the gate from the main road. I have noticed not all cars make it to the top with load.

Now the obvious question - Which one should I go for ?
Appreciate your help and time.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10-photo.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks