Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 15:11   #181
BANNED

Re: Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10

Is the MS K10 not a three potter. If yes, then it is totally off the radar as far as I am concerned.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:48   #182
BHPian

I'd suggest you the Brio over the i10.
With those extra horses on board it'd be more fun to drive than the i10 and is also a touch more spacious. And even in terms of looks it wins for me(though that's a personal opinion)
Cheers!
Old 21st May 2012, 16:01   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Here are the numbers for my Jazz (same engine, heavier car, more load).
City driving with moderate to heavy 95% of the time mostly in 3rd gear, with frequent down shifts to 2nd.
regular driving speed 40 - 45kmph
Usual daily distance ~12 kms
Top FE figures: ~14kmpl / Average: ~12 -13 kmpl max (aircon ON)
Bottom FE figure: 11.5 kmpl during a traffic jam in the rainy season. b2b traffic and some flyover work took me an hour to cover 5km.
Fuel: Normal Petrol

Highway - 19kmpl max aircon on. Average 18kmpl aircon on

Has done 35 K kms till date. I am the second owner.

Servicing costs about 5K per visit including oil change. Interval 5k kms.

The reason I am giving these numbers is that I expect the Brio to do at least the same numbers as the Jazz if not better, considering the weight.

The only downside I see for the Brio is the small boot. You may want to consider buying a pre owned Jazz

Edit: oh, and by the by these figures are after switching all tyres to 185/60
Excellent comparison . If this is for a second-hand car, it gives a very real insight into the A.S.S. world of H.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:12   #184
BHPian

Bought the Honda Brio S MT less than a month back and can vouch for the wonderful car that it is.

We test drove every other car in the segment and this one came out a clear winner; even though we struggled between Polo and Brio for a little while.

Having owned many Hondas and Hyundais, I can easily say that it feels fresh and fast. The Brio is a lovely car to own and the FE is something to be proud of. During 'engine running in' we are clocking close to 14 kmpl in city with 90% A/C. This I can only presume will become better after the initial service.

Go for the Brio, you will never regret it.
Old 27th May 2012, 10:35   #185
BHPian

Found just what i was looking for! Was settling for a cng wagonr, but now have chucked the cng idea off the table, and going in for either the Brio s mt or i10 magna kappa.
Will be ordering either of the two within the next week, haven't test driven the Brio yet but just adore its looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Bought the Honda Brio S MT less than a month back and can vouch for the wonderful car that it is.

We test drove every other car in the segment and this one came out a clear winner; even though we struggled between Polo and Brio for a little while.

Having owned many Hondas and Hyundais, I can easily say that it feels fresh and fast. The Brio is a lovely car to own and the FE is something to be proud of. During 'engine running in' we are clocking close to 14 kmpl in city with 90% A/C. This I can only presume will become better after the initial service.

Go for the Brio, you will never regret it.
Can you please tell me the waiting period for the Brio over here?
Old 27th May 2012, 11:33   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
Found just what i was looking for! Was settling for a cng wagonr, but now have chucked the cng idea off the table, and going in for either the Brio s mt or i10 magna kappa.
Will be ordering either of the two within the next week, haven't test driven the Brio yet but just adore its looks

Never mind, just booked a test drive for the Brio today!
Old 27th May 2012, 15:11   #187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
I was is the Service Centre on Tuesday. They said under a week! Jazz regular is about 10 days, and JazzX 3-4 months
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 21:26   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was is the Service Centre on Tuesday. They said under a week! Jazz regular is about 10 days, and JazzX 3-4 months
Booked the Brio S MT today after the test drive.. instantly fell in love with the car delivery is on the 1st.
Old 27th May 2012, 21:47   #189
Team-BHP Support

^^ Why don't you shell out a little more and go for the S(O)MT. The one with airbags and ABS. The safety-features/equipment is definitely worth the extra money.
Old 27th May 2012, 22:05   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ Why don't you shell out a little more and go for the S(O)MT. The one with airbags and ABS. The safety-features/equipment is definitely worth the extra money.
Well had to go in with the mid variant as i was already stretching my budget going in for this one.. outgoing is an m800 so you can understand my frustration and the eagerness for a new vehicle..could not wait any longer :P and the fact that its already a lot safer than the small box that was the 800, at least going by body and the space inside, made me just go for it.
Old 28th May 2012, 00:06   #191
BHPian

I own an i10 1.2 Magna and my teammate in office owns a Brio E MT. From my observations of these two models since they come in the same price range -

1. The Brio is a much bigger car than the i10 and offers more space in the inside.
2. The Brio has a much better ABC pedal arrangment compared to the i10. The Clutch was super light and very easy to use ( better than i10 ).
3. I've not driven the Brio extensively but I'm sure that it will be much more fun to drive compared to the i10.
4. I love the rear glass hatch of the Brio but from the front it looks like a toy. The i10 on the other hand seems a neutral looking car.
5. I cannot vouch on the mileage of the Brio but my i10 returns me approx 13 kmpl in City traffic ( mostly in 3rd gear ) if you shift at around 2.2K RPM and maintain the right amount of tyre pressure (32 PSI).
6. The interiors and equipment level of the i10 1.2 Magna are of much better quality compared to the Brio EMT . (Eg : To my surprise the Brio does not even come with an internally adjustable ORVM! against to my i10's electrically adjustable ORVM).
7. The Gear shift of i10 is better than Brio ( not saying the Brio's is bad, but I'm spoilt with my i10's shift ).
8. As misquitas pointed out the i10's Magna does not come with an intermittent wiper as default which is very annoying if you are living in an area where rainfall is normal throughout the year.
9. The drivability of i10 is excellent.It can crawl at 10 km/hr in 2nd gear and the 3rd gear takes it from 25 km/hr - 50 km/hr with no engine noise. My neighbor who also owns a Brio SMT claims that the car is sluggish in the initial gears but once it builds up the momentum, it's a pocket rocket!
10. The Ride handling of the i10 is pathetic. Even a small speed breaker can create a stomach upset causing you to rush to your home . The Brio on the other hand is much more aerodynamic and feels planted on the road.

Last edited by eyesice : 28th May 2012 at 00:09. Reason: Added a couple more points
Old 28th May 2012, 00:19   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
I own an i10 1.2 Magna and my teammate in office owns a Brio E MT. From my observations of these two models since they come in the same price range -

1. The Brio is a much bigger car than the i10 and offers more space in the inside.
2. The Brio has a much better ABC pedal arrangment compared to the i10. The Clutch was super light and very easy to use ( better than i10 ).
3. I've not driven the Brio extensively but I'm sure that it will be much more fun to drive compared to the i10.
4. I love the rear glass hatch of the Brio but from the front it looks like a toy. The i10 on the other hand seems a neutral looking car.
5. I cannot vouch on the mileage of the Brio but my i10 returns me approx 13 kmpl in City traffic ( mostly in 3rd gear ) if you shift at around 2.2K RPM and maintain the right amount of tyre pressure (32 PSI).
6. The interiors and equipment level of the i10 1.2 Magna are of much better quality compared to the Brio EMT . (Eg : To my surprise the Brio does not even come with an internally adjustable ORVM! against to my i10's electrically adjustable ORVM).
7. The Gear shift of i10 is better than Brio ( not saying the Brio's is bad, but I'm spoilt with my i10's shift ).
8. As misquitas pointed out the i10's Magna does not come with an intermittent wiper as default which is very annoying if you are living in an area where rainfall is normal throughout the year.
9. The drivability of i10 is excellent.It can crawl at 10 km/hr in 2nd gear and the 3rd gear takes it from 25 km/hr - 50 km/hr with no engine noise. My neighbor who also owns a Brio SMT claims that the car is sluggish in the initial gears but once it builds up the momentum, it's a pocket rocket!
10. The Ride handling of the i10 is pathetic. Even a small speed breaker can create a stomach upset causing you to rush to your home . The Brio on the other hand is much more aerodynamic and feels planted on the road.
Small pointers - Higher end versions of the brio come with electric mirrors

I very much prefer the brio's gearshift which while more notchy has a lot more positive feel compared to the i10 which feels rather vague to me. I could never get the 3rd gear in the i10 when i wanted to power shift. It would always miss the slot and the engine would groan. For the average driver, a softer gearbox is better. However if you drive enthusiastically, you'd always prefer a gearbox with a more slotted positive action.

Other than that, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Old 28th May 2012, 02:25   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
The non-intermittent wiping facility of the i10 Magna variant can easily be resolved with a minor fix. Simply affix the wiper lever stalk of the sportz on the Magna.

While the Brio and i10 are obvious competitors to each other, both have their strengths and weaknesses. But it appears from this thread that the enthusiast is more likely to lean towards the Brio, while the play-it-easy driver is inclined towards the i10.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 06:37   #194
Senior - BHPian

^^

To add to really good points from eyesice, my additions based on my recent drives of both cars (drove my father's Brio V MT about 150KMs in city and highways and my FIL's refreshed i10 1.2 Sportz about 250 KMs again in city and highways):

1. i10's AC is better than Brio's! I didnt expect it. Both were severly tested in the sweltering heat of north India.
2. Brio's steering is a marvel. i10's is no comparison at all.
3. Music system is better in the Honda. Do not miss CD player at all as hardly anyone buys CDs these days. USB rocks.
4. headlights are useless on the i10. Both had stock lamps. Brio lit the road well enough but it was a huge problem on the i10. Headlamp upgrade is a must for i10 owners if highway driving is there at nights.6
5. Rear seats are more spacious on Brio. I have not sat there but my wife gushed about it as a user.
6. Now the most important thing and probably a deal breaker for some. Brio scrapes even medium size speed breakers on full load!!! We were 4 adults in hte car and I was driving and it bottomed out on a breaker that I was very confident my i10 would have sailed through! I had a mild heart attack everytime I saw a speed breaker thereafter. People who have lot of speed breakers in the city (or on the roads they use a lot) should consider this seriously. Brio bottomed out twice even on negotiating the speed breakers at an angle.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by joslicx : 28th May 2012 at 06:39.
joslicx is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 09:27   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi,
Slightly OT..I had a quick question on the topic of Airbags and ABS/EBD. Not sure if it’s been covered before and Mods please shift this to the technical section if more appropriate there.

No base variant hatchback is usually equipped with these two features (Airbags/ABS). When I ask the salesperson if these two features can be added to a base variant, the obvious answer is no – and understandably so, that’s the reason they built the upper variant! (And they don’t want their own base variant to cannibalize the bigger brother)

My question is: can these two (very important) safety features not be retrofitted (factory or even third party) in a base variant? If I’m not interested in the frills (body coloured door/ORVM, fog lamps, alloys, music system, two/three-tone interiors, seat height adjusters, rear power windows, central locking, remote locking, ..and whatever else!) associated with the Airbags/ABS equipped variant, why can I not retrofit these two (or can I)?

I guess my larger question is: Is it just a sales associated no-no, or a technically impossible thing? What does it take to install/retrofit an Airbag deployment system and an ABS in your car?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks