Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2006, 20:49   #1
BHPian

Esteem or Palio?

Guys as u know I was lookin for an old car. I finallised on the Esteem VX and began hunting, today i went to 2 dealers who had 2 esteems(01) and both said 2.5L. then in one place I saw 2 Palios, one was a Yellow vs sport i think - 3.4 L, and a 1.2 ELX - 2.3 (Did around 50k both).

Finally i went to one more guy whom my frnd recommened , there i saw Esteem VX 98 Maroon- Central lockin, power windows, power steering and 75kms logged - 1.75L and a White Palio 1.2ELX(2002) - 2.3L and now the car which took away my heart!....Black 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX, central lockin, power steerin, power windows, pioneer mp3 plyer+pioneer speakers, alloys, black leather seats, aluminium brake pedal - 2.25L.

Now what do I pick?
Old 9th July 2006, 20:53   #2
BHPian

If you can afford lower economy, then Palio it has to be. GTX once and always remains a heart winner. But remember the pockets would get a cut each time you allow the car to win your heart.

In city with AC the car will not deliver more than 8KMPL.
Old 9th July 2006, 21:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

How many people will be driven around?
How much Highway driving is included?
Which car did you like?

1. If comfort is a bigger priority then look at Palio. Ride and handling are good too.
2. Maintainence would be lower in Esteem.
3. If going on the highway select palio.
4. Designwise palio looks better than Esteem.
5. Esteem is Quicker than Palio.
6. Palio is Faster than Esteem and high speed stability is better too.
7. IN-gear acceleration I guess is better in Palio.
8. Palio is safer than Esteem.

One of the major deciding factor should be the condition of the uSed car.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 9th July 2006 at 21:09.
Old 9th July 2006, 21:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin
If you can afford lower economy, then Palio it has to be. GTX once and always remains a heart winner. But remember the pockets would get a cut each time you allow the car to win your heart.

In city with AC the car will not deliver more than 8KMPL.
the GLX I saw was said to give 6kmpl with a/c.

BTW...Am gonna put a LPG Gas Kit
Old 9th July 2006, 21:18   #5
BHPian

1.6 gtx and esteem are both great driver cars...... but 1.6 is not known for bein frugal..... 3.4 l is too high for the 50k one.... if u want outright performance he 1.6 gtx is the ride to go in for...
Old 9th July 2006, 21:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
How many people will be driven around?
How much Highway driving is included?
Which car did you like?

1. If comfort is a bigger priority then look at Palio. Ride and handling are good too.
2. Maintainence would be lower in Esteem.
3. If going on the highway select palio.
4. Designwise palio looks better than Esteem.
5. Esteem is Quicker than Palio.
6. Palio is Faster than Esteem and high speed stability is better too.
7. IN-gear acceleration I guess is better in Palio.
8. Palio is safer than Esteem.

One of the major deciding factor should be the condition of the uSed car.
For 2 months we will have a Driver and many guys will driven coz its my Sis's wedding So after 2 months its only me and the car Just at times ill take my mom out , as only me and my mom will stay.

Cant say about how much driving...as this is gonna be my first car

I liked the Palio 1.6 GTX

1. Yes I want comfort and driving qualities.. so i think palio
2. Yes but how much?
3. Yup Highway driving...NH7
4. Sure it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage
1.6 gtx and esteem are both great driver cars...... but 1.6 is not known for bein frugal..... 3.4 l is too high for the 50k one.... if u want outright performance he 1.6 gtx is the ride to go in for...
Dude the 1.2 was for 3.4L, the 1.6 GLX was for 2.25L

Last edited by aah78 : 10th July 2006 at 03:07.
Old 9th July 2006, 22:20   #7
BHPian

Guys actually I just spoke to a guy and these are the points what I recollected from him......

97-99 Esteems have carb engines and 2000+ have Mpfi, and the Mpfi is a go while the Carbs start falling apart at around 75K kms of driving. So as most of the Esteems for sale are 50k zone, I think I have to go for the Mpfi models. Now coming to these her all are in the range of 2.5L well i guess I can bargain.

Now many Palios are coming for 2.3L all 1200cc ELX models (01 or 02), till now found only one 1.6 GLX and it was 2.3L coz it was 01 model, thats what the man there said. It had new wheels, and all the nice stuff.

So guys since the mpfi is more priced than the Palio, shud I go for the Palio????

The only defect I so far found in the palio was the very very very low milage and very very very high maintainance costs. While its opp for Esteem.

BTW am gonna put LPG Gas kit, K&N Conical Filter and Free-Flow Exhaust (6k i guess) for whichever car I buy

Cheers,

Sagar.
Old 9th July 2006, 23:14   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

U can get the palio GTX's prices down to around 1.5-1.75L if u bargain hard .. 1.2 sienna's are going for just 80k in bangalore .. Dont be suprised , memo45 just sold his for that rate 2 months back ..
Old 9th July 2006, 23:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Esteem is a dated car. Also during marraige people would like to have comfort.

palio can sustain more than esteeem and hence a better used car buy.

design wise also palio is better.

Go for the palio gtx.
Old 9th July 2006, 23:38   #10
BHPian

Sweet even I like the Palio, hate the Esteem for its shape :( But what really counts is whats under the hood Now in the palio 1.6 GTX is a very nice car but drinks like **** 6kmpl!!!! Man thats a total run down! Now what about 1.2 ELX???? 10kmpl, so what about it?
Old 10th July 2006, 02:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx
Sweet even I like the Palio, hate the Esteem for its shape :( But what really counts is whats under the hood Now in the palio 1.6 GTX is a very nice car but drinks like **** 6kmpl!!!! Man thats a total run down! Now what about 1.2 ELX???? 10kmpl, so what about it?
That's a pretty rumoured figure. I have heard 8-10 from 1.6.

and remember its the metal quality that weighs on the car.

The 1.6 DOHC engine kills Esteems 1.3
Old 10th July 2006, 02:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only defect I so far found in the palio was the very very very low milage and very very very high maintainance costs.
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

The Esteem is more fuel efficient then the Palio but don't forget it's a lot lot lot lighter then the Palio too. I personally hate the build quality of the Esteem, everything rattles and shakes in the car after a few thousands of kms. but my Palio felt like brand new even after almost 1.5 yrs and over 20K kms. You have said you are going to install a LPG kit in the car so I assume you are looking for good fuel efficiency and obviously low maintainence. Though the Palio's mileage is less then Esteem, there is no way you are going to get 6kmpl from the car unless something is seriously wrong either with the car or the driver! For more on mileage and maintainence, you can read my Palio review here. The worst mileage I got from my Palio was 8.62kmpl when the car was brand new and it included a 3 hour 30 minute drive from Anuroop in Goregaon to Chembur, a distance of approx 25kms. I somehow feel LPG in a GTX would defeat the whole purpose of buying a GTX.

I'd go for the Palio GTX.

Last edited by amit : 10th July 2006 at 02:41.
Old 10th July 2006, 06:11   #13
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Palio it is...............
Old 10th July 2006, 06:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx
Guys as u know I was lookin for an old car. I finallised on the Esteem VX and began hunting, today i went to 2 dealers who had 2 esteems(01) and both said 2.5L. then in one place I saw 2 Palios, one was a Yellow vs sport i think - 3.4 L, and a 1.2 ELX - 2.3 (Did around 50k both).

Finally i went to one more guy whom my frnd recommened , there i saw Esteem VX 98 Maroon- Central lockin, power windows, power steering and 75kms logged - 1.75L and a White Palio 1.2ELX(2002) - 2.3L and now the car which took away my heart!....Black 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX, central lockin, power steerin, power windows, pioneer mp3 plyer+pioneer speakers, alloys, black leather seats, aluminium brake pedal - 2.25L.

Now what do I pick?

BUDDY.
This Black palio your talking about, is it with classic cars in Banjara hills road no 10.
if yes, i have checked it 2 weeks back when i was in hyd...
he was asking the same price.
the car is been repainted, the front glass is broken which he will replace and give it to you and you will have to pay for the insurance, its expired...
Old 10th July 2006, 09:58   #15
BHPian

All the price quoted by the dealer seems to be bit more than the market rate.
You can get 01- Palio 1.2 for 1.6-1.75L
the dealer is charging 40-60K extra on all the cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks