Hyundai Grand i10 100 42.55%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 12:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Come on! Grand is a good competitor to the Swift, save for the driving fun parameter.

Agree with a post earlier in this thread. It is worth every penny to spend on the top model of the Swift (either Petrol or Diesel) just because of the brakes. Both cars have their own strong & weak points and really worth the debate.
I feel driveability and handling of the car is better than features. Like others have said Swift beats grand i 10 in excellent ASS (Hyundai isn't bad either), comfort and handling.
I own an Hyundai and FE is not even remotely close to what they quote.

And the icing on the cake is the insane amount of money swifts are resold for.

To be more precise, if you are a big fan of features then Grand i 10 will suit you.

I would recommend Swift any day.
Old 21st July 2014, 14:03   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igybeck View Post
I feel driveability and handling of the car is better than features. Like others have said Swift beats grand i 10 in excellent ASS (Hyundai isn't bad either), comfort and handling. I own an Hyundai and FE is not even remotely close to what they quote. And the icing on the cake is the insane amount of money swifts are resold for. To be more precise, if you are a big fan of features then Grand i 10 will suit you.
I would recommend Swift any day.
True. Valid points there. However, the only deal breaker for the Swift in my opinion is average brakes (in L variants), poor rear passenger space and claustrophobic rear window. If one can digest these constraints, then Swift is a better buy. Personally, I know, when I would be looking for my next car, Swift, in its current form will not be one because of the above.
Old 21st July 2014, 23:53   #63
BHPian

It may be a good idea to wait for couple of months to see the bolt hatchback if you want the turbo-petrol engine. Zest already beat competition of compact sedans according to autocar india, and it is likely that bolt would beat the competition for hatchbacks. Good luck with your search!
raghav135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:23   #64
BHPian

I'd say wait till Sep-Oct and the Swift facelift is due for launch.
Will come with DRL and some other additions ( expecting the start stop feature)
and few others.

I'd say dont fall for the feature list, also look at the ride comfort and ofcourse the handling.
Not to forget - Maruti's are known for " Kitna Deti Hai" while Hyundai are low on FE.

Quality (interior plastic, door trims) wise yes Hyundai scores above Maruti, but in most other aspects its the Swift.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I didn't buy it for mileage, but I would imagine it is capable of giving 13-14 with some open roads and a light foot.
Even I believe that. But my low mileage is not due to the car. But my driving style. I am a complete newbie and I have been driving only for a month or so. I drag the car around in 2nd gear or 3rd to the most. Never engaged 5th ever so far and have gone up to 4 only a couple of times. So, I think that explains a lot about the poor mileage. May be after a couple of months things will start improving.
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:34   #66
BHPian

Still haven't been able to test drive the Swift. Though a visit to hyundai dealership have made my parents like the Grand a lot. Seriously, all their cars looks so desirable. Even Eon looked good.
Took the quotation for Grand yesterday. Will either be going for the Magna or Sportz variant. But still, FE is the only issue.
After going through http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...iency-251.html thread, I could see that a lot of owners have complained of low FE of this Kappa engine in the range of 11-12 kmpl.

Swift ZXi is out of the budget. Sometimes, it occurs to my mind that how bad the brakes could be in the L and V variant of Swift since 90% of Swifts and Dzire on the road are Vdi/Vxi.

Still in two minds..
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Swift ZXi is out of the budget. Sometimes, it occurs to my mind that how bad the brakes could be in the L and V variant of Swift since 90% of Swifts and Dzire on the road are Vdi/Vxi.

Still in two minds..
I had a 2012 Swift 1.4 VXI (upgraded the 1.2 engine) and i have found the brakes to be adequate. So does my colleague who drives a 2013 Swift VXI. My present vehicle is 2014 Swift VDI.

Brakes are good and they bite provided you exert enough pressure on the pedal, the brakes are not as over servoed like the i10 (we had a 1.2 Sportz). So someone who's used to i10's or Santro's brakes may find the bite less for the amount of pressure exerted on the pedal.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 14:45   #68
BHPian

Hi

I own a Hyundai i10 2009 model. This is my daily commute car to and from office and I drive in the worst bumper-bumper traffic possible in Bangalore for 36 kms every day - From Meenakshi Mall Bannerghatta Road to Bellandur Outer Ring Road Bangalore. It takes me minimum 1.5 hours to cover 17 kms in the morning - so you can imagine the traffic.

With this traffic, I get 11.8 kmpl from my Kappa engine with full time AC on - tank full method. On the high ways I get between 18-19 kmpl when driven at 80-100kmph.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 11:59   #69
BHPian

Hey Sherlocked. Have you decided anything yet? Was just curious
Old 17th August 2014, 22:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_saunak View Post
Hey Sherlocked. Have you decided anything yet? Was just curious.
So sorry guys for not updating the thread, was caught up in my studies. Apologies.

So the news is that we have finalised the Swift and will be buying the facelift one which is expected by the coming November. Variant and color will be decided then only.

Reasons I went for the Swift above the G10:
  1. Swift's steering feels a lot better than the Gi10.
    In Grand the steering has absolutely no feedback i.e. nothing happens if we slightly move the steering from centre position, it only acts working after the steering wheel has been rotated few degrees from the centre.
    While in Swift, even with the slightest turn, I can feel the front tyres turning.

2. The seats, both front and back in Grand are somewhat placed lower and that results in quite a difficult ingress / egress, especially for my parents.
    In swift too, the ingress / egress is not class leading but still better than the Grand i10.
    Please note that over the years the WagonR has spoilt us in this area.

3. With the low positioned seats and high dashboard placement in Grand i10, the front view specially on the left side is not good which results in poor judgement while driving. Pity that seat height adjustment is only available in top end model.
    While in Swift, the view upfront is Superb. No problem at all.
    The above issue was only felt by my Dad and brother though it was not a deal breaker for me.

4. We can compromise on the limited boot space in the Swift and rear seating and leg room was found okay by my family members. Also this car will be driven solo 90% of the time.

5. The push button start, keyless entry, chrome door handles and rear AC vent didn't fancy us much. Though I found the auto folding ORVM quite useful in Grand and hoping that the facelifted Swift gets them.

6. The K series engine in Swift, reportedly is more fuel efficient than the Kappa2.

So that's it guys, thanks for the all answers and suggestions.
Will update further as things materialises.
Cheers!!

EDIT: The reason we are waiting for November is actually due to the fact that our purchase has been postponed as per the family needs and if we didn't find facelifted Swift worth the extra premium (If the price rises), we will definitely go with the current gen Swift.
But its too early to comment now. Hopefully this will become more clear around October end.
Reason I am mentioning this is that If I was in the Market for a petrol hatch today, my pick will be the Swift.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 17th August 2014 at 23:01.
Old 18th August 2014, 01:00   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So sorry guys for not updating the thread, was caught up in my studies. Apologies.

So the news is that we have finalised the Swift and will be buying the facelift one which is expected by the coming November. Variant and color will be decided then only.

Reasons I went for the Swift above the G10:
  1. Swift's steering feels a lot better than the Gi10.
    In Grand the steering has absolutely no feedback i.e. nothing happens if we slightly move the steering from centre position, it only acts working after the steering wheel has been rotated few degrees from the centre.
    While in Swift, even with the slightest turn, I can feel the front tyres turning.

2. The seats, both front and back in Grand are somewhat placed lower and that results in quite a difficult ingress / egress, especially for my parents.
    In swift too, the ingress / egress is not class leading but still better than the Grand i10.
    Please note that over the years the WagonR has spoilt us in this area.

3. With the low positioned seats and high dashboard placement in Grand i10, the front view specially on the left side is not good which results in poor judgement while driving. Pity that seat height adjustment is only available in top end model.
    While in Swift, the view upfront is Superb. No problem at all.
    The above issue was only felt by my Dad and brother though it was not a deal breaker for me.

4. We can compromise on the limited boot space in the Swift and rear seating and leg room was found okay by my family members. Also this car will be driven solo 90% of the time.

5. The push button start, keyless entry, chrome door handles and rear AC vent didn't fancy us much. Though I found the auto folding ORVM quite useful in Grand and hoping that the facelifted Swift gets them.

6. The K series engine in Swift, reportedly is more fuel efficient than the Kappa2.

So that's it guys, thanks for the all answers and suggestions.
Will update further as things materialises.
Cheers!!

EDIT: The reason we are waiting for November is actually due to the fact that our purchase has been postponed as per the family needs and if we didn't find facelifted Swift worth the extra premium (If the price rises), we will definitely go with the current gen Swift.
But its too early to comment now. Hopefully this will become more clear around October end.
Reason I am mentioning this is that If I was in the Market for a petrol hatch today, my pick will be the Swift.
Very astute observations Sir. A point I would again like to highlight-Swift's lower variants have average brakes as compared to ZXi or even the Gi10 for that matter. Do keep this in consideration as I personally prioritise mechanical soundness of a car over features.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 09:00   #72
BHPian

Good choice! Since you are already pampered with the high seating position of the Wagon R, there will be a void when you shift to the low bucket seats of the Grand I10. Swifts 1.2 K series engine offers better mileage during point to point commute. One of the many reasons that I chose Wagon R over the I10 1.1 is better mileage figures when you are driving primarily in city with 90% AC on. Swift has got a better resale value and reliability in the long run. The only bad feature in Swift is the poor brakes!

I was reading some over steering issues that have cropped up in Grand i10 in this forum. It is always better to go for a tried and tested product when you are spending your hard earned money.
Old 18th August 2014, 12:36   #73
BHPian

Quote:
  1. We can compromise on the limited boot space in the Swift and rear seating and leg room was found okay by my family members. Also this car will be driven solo 90% of the time.
Looks like you've done some good homework eh!?
The choices that we make are totally a what-fits-my-need basis.
I would go in for a better mechanical language and shun the features away, to and extent.
My family of 5, mix of medium and oversized, plus a 2 year old, keep doing long drives around Karnataka; None of them till date have complained about the rear leg-room till date.
We've had a lot of comfy rides till date. Talk about the boot, yeah, I need to plan the luggage a little smart and ergo, we are good there.

All the best and keep us posted once you book your ride!
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:03   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
I was reading some over steering issues that have cropped up in Grand i10 in this forum. It is always better to go for a tried and tested product when you are spending your hard earned money.
Absolutely. i was considering a Swift VXI Vs I10 grand Sportz till about a month ago. I did hear the infamous battery discharge issue with the initial set of i10grand vehicles. I ended up buying I20 Sportz, though that shot my budget. So between a Grand10 and Swift, i would go with a Swift. And between a Swift and a I20, i would go with a I20. And here i think it really matters on what the need is. I understand that Swift Engine is more fuel efficient and highway driving is just great, but i thought I20 was not too far behind with a load of features. So, yes, at some point, you do need to make the call on what you are looking from the car
Lightening-Fast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 19:40   #75
BHPian

Hi,

I had almost decided on the Swift ZXI, till the elite i20 came along .

Booked an elite i20 sportz today, my wife went an booked it, as I am not in the country, she really loves the car, I saw a lot of videos of it, the car does look a stunner, the interiors are the best.

The swift had many things going against it, foremost being, a dated model, and looks!

The only disappointment I have the elite i20 is the FE part, can someone pls help me with the comparison of the FE of a ZXI with I20 elite?

It might just become a deal breaker for me!

As of now the waiting period is 2 months in Blr.

Regards
Shailesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks