Hyundai Grand i10 100 42.55%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2015, 08:30   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Is it worth investing 2.6 lakhs in a 2010 March Swift vxi or buying a 2012 Alto vxi for 2.7 lakhs. Thr car is for my aged parents whose monthly usage is hardly 250-300 kms. Pl advise
Alto will be cheaper to run and maintain, easier to maneuver and offers good visibility.

Swift will have more space, comfort, safety and ingress/ egress will be better. And the bigger engine makes moving around a bit more effortless. If they are comfortable driving the Swift, you should definitely get the Swift.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 10:40   #152
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Is it worth investing 2.6 lakhs in a 2010 March Swift vxi or buying a 2012 Alto vxi for 2.7 lakhs. Thr car is for my aged parents whose monthly usage is hardly 250-300 kms. Pl advise

I think the swift makes sense here. As your parents are aged they might find in/egress difficult from the Alto due to its low seating position. With the AC on driving a swift should be easy.

On the other hand I suggest look for a used automatic i10/ a-star/brio.etc. For 250-300kms/ month fuel costs won't make a lot of difference. It will be effortless for your parents to drive.

Asit
Old 1st February 2015, 11:07   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I think the swift makes sense here. As your parents are aged they might find in/egress difficult from the Alto due to its low seating position. With the AC on driving a swift should be easy.
Actually for better ingress/egress I would suggest Ritz. Thanks to the tall boy design. Its a bit more spacious at the back as well.
Old 1st February 2015, 12:43   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Swift Please. The primary reason would be the seating comfort the car will give. In Alto, you'll have to sit "down" while in Swift, one will sit high. Plus the seat support is much better, so is the ride (comparitively). Swift will fare better on everything other than maintenance and FE. If you can find a good FNG, nothing better (since the car is 5 years old).

But yes, the Swift is bulkier and your parents would have to get familiar with the dimension and it could be a challenge (till they are comfortable) for parking etc.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st February 2015 at 12:53.
Old 1st February 2015, 13:47   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Swift Please. The primary reason would be the seating comfort the car will give. In Alto, you'll have to sit "down" while in Swift, one will sit high. Plus the seat support is much better, so is the ride (comparitively). Swift will fare better on everything other than maintenance and FE. If you can find a good FNG, nothing better (since the car is 5 years old).

But yes, the Swift is bulkier and your parents would have to get familiar with the dimension and it could be a challenge (till they are comfortable) for parking etc.
They would not be driving it. It would be chauffeur driven. Any changes in the suggestions?
Old 1st February 2015, 14:01   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They would not be driving it. It would be chauffeur driven. Any changes in the suggestions?
Swift Swift Swift. More space, easier to get in and more comfortable than the Alto.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 14:08   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the Swift any day. Since the car will be chauffeured driven and will be primarily used for your parents, Swift will provide more leg space and better seating as compared to the Alto which will be cramped and ingress/egress might be difficult. Patch up with a good FNG from where you can do the routine service. The resale value of Swift would be much better than the Alto.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 15:12   #158
BHPian

The present owner has revealed the following details :*
1. He is selling the Swift and buying a Polo
2. There had been a burglary incident with the Swift wherein the windshield had been broken and the stereo stolen. Insurance was claimed and windshield replaced by authorised service center.*
Now, under these circumstances, what additional checks in which all parts should I carry out before fixing the deal. How can I trace what repairs were actually carried out. Can the VIN number help in finding out service details? The owner confesses that the windshield was broken and stereo stolen, so what all collateral damages could have taken place? Could it be a leaking roof in the run, electrical looms tampered with?
I have vague ideas, if any senior Bhpian could help me please
Old 1st February 2015, 15:45   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't burglars break the window glass? This is first time I am hearing about someone breaking windshield to gain access to a car. If the work done is proper, there shouldn't be any leaks.

If insurance was claimed, the insurance company can give the details of the work carried out. Ring them up with the policy #. Also, do check the car for frontal impacts. If you are not comfortable checking it, take help from any good body shop mechanic. You might have to give him a 500, but totally worth it.
Old 1st February 2015, 16:08   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... How can I trace what repairs were actually carried out...
Please permission from the owner to check the service history of the car with the A$$. If you are satisfied, you can do a thorough wash / spray with water for 5 mins or so on the windshield and roof and check the inside. I suggest you also check the floor under the mats. If there is any leak, it show up on the floor.

Quote:
Even in this case, Swift will be a better option, considering the seat position and support + space. Assuming this is the previous gen Swift, the ride will be stiff and bad on crappy roads, but the chauffer can be directed to be slow on those roads.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st February 2015 at 16:11.
Old 1st February 2015, 19:41   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Assuming this is the previous gen Swift, the ride will be stiff and bad on crappy roads, but the chauffer can be directed to be slow on those roads.
Is a 2010 march Swift a first gen ie one without a K series engine? What are the pros and cons? Is it worth a buy? Pl advise
Old 1st February 2015, 21:35   #162
BHPian

Quote:
For a chauffeur driven car for the parents why not a Indica Vista? The rear seat comfort and legroom is unmatched in this category.
Swift rear seat is not at all comfortable. The front seats are another story though.
Old 2nd February 2015, 05:18   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
For a chauffeur driven car for the parents why not a Indica Vista?
If you read my previous posts, you will see I have the choice between a Alto K10 and a Swift Vxi. My dad is a die-hard Maruti fan and will never settle for a Indica. Can't help it bro.
Old 2nd February 2015, 07:42   #164
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

Quote:
If you read my previous posts, you will see I have the choice between a Alto K10 and a Swift Vxi. My dad is a die-hard Maruti fan and will never settle for a Indica. Can't help it bro.

I personally feel the Wagonr/ ritz make perfect sense for you. Both the cars have a very comfortable rear seat unlike the swift which is really cramped and neither does it offer good under thigh support. Alto k10 is out of question for aged people.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 2nd February 2015 at 07:44.
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:31   #165
BHPian

Quote:
There had been a burglary incident with the Swift wherein the windshield had been broken and the stereo stolen. Insurance was claimed and windshield replaced by authorised service center.
You can visit the Maruti ASC with the owner of the car and carry the relevant policy details. Ring them up and fix a prior appoinment. The concerned SA will be able to help you out on the queries. You may have to shell out a few bucks from your own pocket for basic service and check up.

Since you are from Kolkata, I would request you to search a little more in the used car market for other Swifts, Ritz or Wagon R. You may come across a better deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks