Maruti Swift 135 57.45%
Hyundai Grand i10 100 42.55%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 15:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10

I would strongly suggest Grand I10!!

having driven both for extended period of time i would say the I10 is super feature loaded in comparison of the plain jane swift.

In terms of service,if you feel Swift would be cheaper then you are mistaken,Maruti no longer is the cheapest to maintain and my experience in comparing similar services i have found hyundai and even ford to be cheaper the maruti.

fuel efficiency wouldn't be that high different that it would affect you.

The grand i10 is a superb car and for sure you would love it.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 15:56   #17
BHPian

From what I have heard from my friend who has both, Grand i10 is a no brainer. Exceptional build quality, features that you would normally get in premium sedans and great city driveability makes the Grand a true winner. The Swift is now starting to get old plus it lacks a lot of these features. Surely it may beat Grand i10 hands down in a sprint to 100 but how often do you do that in a city ?
thehighwayman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 16:05   #18

Hello there,

I would suggest the Grand i10.

Maruti suppressed the brake problem with the new non-ABS swift by calling back the owners who complained. The ECU remapping done for them, but my friend tells only a 80% effectiveness for this swift VXI!
4X4MT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 16:08   #19
BHPian

Have driven both the Grand i10(sportz) and Swift, I'd say what GTO has said it is bang on.

See, if you want the car for fun-to-drive factor then I'd suggest going for the Swift. I find its handling, suspension/ride quality and performance better than the G i10.

But going the Swift way, you are missing out on goodies which the G i10 has to offer like a decent music system, rear a/c vents, electrically controlled ORVMs, better quality interiors and a suuuper silent engine (I found my self looking at the tacho a few times when the car was idling, not exaggerating).

Only thing which goes against the G i10 is its rather soft suspension. I found it to be a bit on the softer side.

So I wouldn't say that Hyundai has got the suspension right on the grand i10 as compared to the old i10. They still have to get it right. And the Swift edges above the g i10 in top speed.

It is not even like my heart says g i10 and mind says Swift. Cuz, I'd pick any of the two and wouldn't regret not buying the other.

P.S: Still if I had to choose one, it would be the Swift.. Err no the G i10... Err sorry the Swift.. No I think not.. It's tough :/ Heck! I'd just "eenie-meenie-myniee-mo" it.. But if it is more of highway driving then yes the Swift definitely. And if more in the city then go for the i10.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 15th July 2014 at 16:12.
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 18:44   #20
BHPian

My vote goes to Grand i10. I am not saying this because of the reason that I own one. Couple of months back I was also in the same dilemma and believe me I was more confused than you as this is my first car and i am a completely newbie driver. My scenarios were exactly the same as yours.

So, I let go off the technicalities and made my decision based on the below factors (these are completely my own point of view. No offence to any brand or owner)

1. Current swift is an outgoing car. I wanted one which is new in the market. Grand was a fresh car.

2. IMHO Grand has better looks than Swift. Specially from the rear. Swift stands as a robust and sturdy car. Grand has a sportier stance and looks more aerodynamic due to the roof rails and toned down fluidic curves lines along the body.

3. The dash board look and plastics are more premium in Hyundais than in Marutis. I have ridden both the cars and my friend has one brand new Swift ZXi. The black plastic makes such a huge car feel small from inside. Also, the fit and finish of the plastic is faaaaar more superior in Grand. As mentioned correctly by GTO, Grand has that premium feel while you spend time inside.

4. Larger and more practical boot in Grand is a boon.

5. The tacho and dials look lot cooler in Grand during night. I like the blue dials over the orange ones.

6. Leg space is a lot better in Grand.

7. Steering controls and Bluetooth is absolute breeze.

8. Though 90% of the time your car's back seat will be empty, the rear aircon vent will come really handy during the rest 10% when you have 5 passengers on board.

9. As the experts say, the engine is more fine tuned for maximum FE in Grand. However, Swift does give a notch better FE. But not sure if that applies to city driving.

10. Grand's price is around 30-40K lesser than Swift.

On the other hand I have the following gripes:

1. Swift's steering feels lot better while driving. It has a substantial weight. Grand's one is lot lighter but it is helpful during city maneuvers.

2. The rear speakers are absolutely worthless. If you are planning to buy ZXi then it comes with on board ICE and is a lot better. VXi does not have an integrated one. You will have to opt for after market ICE.

3. Even the top trim Asta for Grand does not have the Airbags or ABS. Where as ZXi comes loaded with them. Asta has them as optional and costs around 40K extra. Grand Asta(o) with all the safety package exceeded my budget considerably. I initially opted for Sportz but later on decided to go for Asta to get the rear defogger and wiper as the least of the safety features. If your budget permits and you need the safety features then go for Swift. But you decide as I did if you really need those for city rides. After all we have seen Maruti 800 and Omni to be running on highways quite often.

4. Almost no discount in Grand till now. Swift will give you more dealer discount.

Both of them are great cars and you can buy any of them with your eyes closed. Both are value for money and will be an excellent buy. But the looks, freshness, feature list and premium quality lured me towards Grand. Also, why buy an outgoing model when you can wait a couple of months to get a fresher one. Also, it is very important which specific variant of both the cars you zero in to. Given the budget of 5.5l, I suppose you will either go for Swift VXi or the Grand Sportz. Between those two, Grand Sportz is a clear winner as you get the integrated ICE (which looks really nice) and the Start-Stop button true keyless entry etc. But between Grand Asta and Swift ZXi, the later is a clear winner due to safety package.

Best thing to do, as the experts say, take TD of both the cars. Compare the features from the original websites and then decide. What appealed to me may turnout to be gimmicky and not so useful features for you.

So, best of luck and happy and safe driving. Hope to get an update from you soon regarding your final decision along with your pointers
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 20:51   #21
BHPian

You mentioned the car will be driven by a single person, will this be a lady (sorry cant recollect if you mentioned it earlier), if so go for the Grand, when my sister went car shopping, fortunately the Grand had launched just then, after a test drive I strongly recommended her the Grand and she is very happy with it.

This car has strong pluses: Better fit and finish and quality of materials, soft & ultra smooth sounding engine and soft plush ride, better rear seat comfort, looks proportionate and is a better designed family car, more roomy (may not be wide), feels every bit a better car than others in that segment, also it is HUGELY EASIER TO DRIVE than the Swift (an imp. factor for some).

The Swift satisfies different requirements, the car and rev friendly engine is a joy above 60/70 kmph (it is addictive/irresistible (I am not promoting speeding, only wanting to reflect the car's strength, I strongly recommend driving within safe limits)). I still like that dashboard and instrument cluster design (not materials).
I may be wrong here, but I feel the Swift has a wider rear seat bench, less legroom and headroom.
Also I am sure overall cost of ownership will be less stress full and expensive than Hyundai (maybe I am biased because of our friendly Maruti dealer who has a positive answer to whatever you ask for), even adding up the fuel bills.

On a side note my sister hit a parked bike while parking and broke the front left fog lamp, Hyundai dealer still does not have the part in stock and says that Grand parts take time to be sourced.
My personal experience with Hyundai service is that it is not that competent as Maruti, our neighborhood Hyundai dealer is overbooked always hence pays less attention to individual cars, also I have had to visit them for repeat jobs that they should have proactively fixed in the first place, but yes they did fix it to their credit.
Talking about service, I don't own a Toyota but accompanied a friend for his 130k kms service of his Camry, their service is awesome. His bill was 4 grands with prompt attention, beat that. I spent 7 times that on annual maintenance of my Fabia this year.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 15th July 2014 at 21:20.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 23:36   #22
BHPian

Whilst I realize you've already set sight on either the Gi10 or the Swift, here are a few points I've got to make:
- I understand your budget is around Rs.5.5 lakh
As of today:
- On-road price for Grand i10 Sports is approx Rs.5.81 lakh & Swift Vxi is Rs.5.86 lakh, so you'll have to strech your budget by at-least Rs.40k
- None of these cars have ABS & dual or even single Airbags - a crucial safety feature, even if you drive within the city

So if you decide to go for either the Gi10 or Swift with the above safety features, it would cost you: (on-road)
- Gi10 Asta (O) - Rs.6.48 lakh
- Swift Zxi - Rs.6.82 lakh

My personal recommendation:
-Ford Figo Titanium Petrol - On-road Rs.6.20 lakh + some discounts
It's not that I'm recommending the Figo because I own 2 of 'em, but is because there's simply no other car offering the above safety features for a reasonable price!
I know you have a concern with the performance of the petrol engine on the Figo, and I agree with you on that, but believe me, while the Figo might be slower to go from 0, it's no snail as well!
When looking for a new car, I was completely into getting the Swift for it's sheer driving pleasure, however, the top-end Zxi variant was way out of my budget and since I was not prepared to compramise on the safety features, I eventually had to settle for the Figo Titanium - which I'm quite happy and satisfied with!
(All OTR prices sourced from carwale.com)

Last edited by nishantbhatia84 : 15th July 2014 at 23:38.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 23:37   #23
BHPian

Swift for the heart, Grand i10 for the brain
Swift for you, Grand i20 for the family.
Deep Blue is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 23:42   #24
BHPian

Since you have boiled down your options to i10G and swift, i would recommend the i10G solely based on the feature list.

Up until now suzuki engines outlived hyundai engines(wagon r's and swifts v/s i10,santro).
The new hyundai engine has got good reviews, experts say it is a par with the suzuki engines.
As far as the interiors go we all know that suzuki cars stay intact even after 5-6 years of use. Not so sure about hyundai cars but the i10G seems to have good quality interiors.so maybe that will last longer than the previous hyundai cars.

The trump card that swift holds over the i10G is its fun to drive factor(brakes seem to be an issue in lxi and non abs vxi)

Overall i10G wins here.

I bought the brio over the i10G and swift solely cause of its sheer fun to drive nature. I liked the way it looks so that wasnt an issue for me. boot will be an issue if you frequently do airport/railway station/weekend trips.

If you have a good honda showroom/service center nearby then I would suggest you TD the 3 cars back to back. Chances are you will like the i10G better. No harm in trying out the honda tough

Last edited by bread : 15th July 2014 at 23:48.
bread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 23:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Swift for the heart, Grand i10 for the brain
Swift for you, Grand i20 for the family.

You have summed it up beautifully.

I would like to suggest the Swift, purely for its FTD nature. Sir if possible, please for the top end ZXi with all safety features.
And in case your budget is a tight one, I would recommend the Grand i10 version with driver airbag( I guess there is such a variant). Both cars are very good, and you can't go wrong with either. As far as fuel efficiency is concerned, the petrol swift returns slightly better efficiency, but its too little a difference. The newer Hyundai's are improved in terms of quality, and will last as much as the Swift, if not longer.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 00:26   #26
BHPian

4 days ago, took a delivery of i10 Gr asto (O), for a friend's dad.
I've driven Grand before too, atleast 500+ km

I'd go for grand

1. only Swift ZXi has good brakes. If you love your family (and/or your bank balance) please avoid lower models.
this one time a colleague, who drives a WagonR since 2007, borrowed his BIL's swift VXi and almost crashed it in a motorcycle. Pathetic brake feel.

2. Grand 10 engine response is neutral, slight bias towards low end toque, where as k10-k12 engines need to be revved. (not as much as VTECs, but they do have poor low end torque).
City driving will be easier in Grand.

3. BIG reason is feel good factor. Trust me, the quality of buttons, switches, steering stocks are in league of VW Vento. Where as what Swift has is just better than Alto.

4. When you are in city, you can't enjoy better sportiness of the Swift. When you are on a highway or ghat road, most probably you will have 4-5 people in the car, so you should not look for higher cornering speed or screeching front wheels.

that too only in Swift zxi, not in LXi/VXi.

Interms of bhp no. Swift generates just 4 bhp more than the Grand, that too at the same rpm. Torque figures are same, 114nm at 4000rpm (carwale.com)

5. keyless go and Rear AC vent (they do work and 10/10 for show off value)

6. seats are better.

7. bigger boot. ( i mean if people spend 1 lac more on Dzire for "bigger " boot...)

8. too many Swifts around

9. - ve point Swift has EBD and BA too, which Grand lacks, only ABS.

10. -ve point i10 Grand has only audible warning for rear parking sensors. I found that insufficient, if you rely on parking sensors too much (which is not good).
I don't know about Swift.

11. For others just compare the feature lists.

Bit more fun-to-drive car : Swift Zxi
Fun and Sensible car with features : i10 Grand Asta (O)

PS : If you find this useful, diwali mein Jaipur aa raha hoon... Daal baati khila dena :P
motionfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 11:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
You mentioned the car will be driven by a single person, will this be a lady
No, this car will either be driven by my brother or me.

Quote:
Grand has strong pluses: Better fit and finish and quality of materials, soft & ultra smooth sounding engine and soft plush ride, better rear seat comfort, looks proportionate and is a better designed family car, more roomy (may not be wide), feels every bit a better car than others in that segment, also it is HUGELY EASIER TO DRIVE than the Swift (an imp. factor for some).
Hey thanks for the heads up and those insights. They are really helpful.
Since you have this car in your family, can you comment about the AC performance/effectiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
- I understand your budget is around Rs.5.5 lakh
As of today:
- On-road price for Grand i10 Sports is approx Rs.5.81 lakh & Swift Vxi is Rs.5.86 lakh
Here in Jaipur, Swift VXI is around 5.45L before any discounts (as per my nearest Maruti showroom) and Grand i10 Sportz is 5.46L (as per Carwale)

Quote:
My personal recommendation:
-Ford Figo Titanium Petrol - On-road Rs.6.20 lakh + some discounts
It's not that I'm recommending the Figo because I own 2 of 'em, but is because there's simply no other car offering the above safety features for a reasonable price!
I know you have a concern with the performance of the petrol engine on the Figo, and I agree with you on that, but believe me, while the Figo might be slower to go from 0, it's no snail as well!
Yes Figo is a great car but I now find the product rather dated and also its sales are also dipping month by month. I have also heard low FE from petrol Figo. Had my running been 500-600 kms per month, I would have not looked at FE factor but at current 1100 kms per month, I need to buy a car which is light on fuel expenses.
But I will surely make a visit to Ford showroom and test drive it thoroughly. Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_saunak View Post
My vote goes to Grand i10. Couple of months back I was also in the same dilemma...

So, I let go off the technicalities and made my decision based on the below factors...
Thanks a lot sir. That was very helpful point to point detail you shared with us here.
Will sure let you all know my decision in few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
I've driven Grand before too, atleast 500+ km
Hey can you please comment on the AC effectiveness of the Grand and also share the FE figures here please.

Quote:
only Swift ZXi has good brakes.
this one time a colleague, who drives a WagonR since 2007, borrowed his BIL's swift VXi and almost crashed it in a motorcycle. Pathetic brake feel.
Thanks for the heads up but Isn't this also a matter of getting used to. I mean 90% of the Swift/Dzire sales comprises of either L or V trim. If that was the case, I would stay at a safe distance from every Swift/Dzire on the road.
Also 4X4MT above said that Maruti has rectified this by ECU Remapping.
Will check this problem thoroughly during TD

Quote:
BIG reason is feel good factor. Trust me, the quality of buttons, switches, steering stocks are in league of VW Vento. Where as what Swift has is just better than Alto.
+1 for this.

Quote:
PS : If you find this useful, diwali mein Jaipur aa raha hoon... Daal baati khila dena :P
It's a deal Just PM me your number before coming and I will come with our new car, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
If possible, please for the top end ZXi with all safety features.
Will try but the problem is it costs around 6.5L here in Jaipur without any discounts. I think the current discounts without exchange is around 20K.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys thanks everyone for the advices. I think it is more sensible to buy Grand i10 but still will see how much discounts the Mauti will give on the Swift.

One question, I read in some other forum that Grand i10 uses the same capacity AC compressor of that of Eon of 60cc and hence the cooling is severely affected.
Can any present Grand users confirm the same.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 16th July 2014 at 11:47.
Old 16th July 2014, 11:53   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Here in Ranchi, a Swift ZXi top end will cost you about 6.65 Lacs OTR( enquired about a month back). However, there was a 20k cash discount plus 10k corporate discount, which takes the discounts to 30k. Additionally if you are currently a Maruti owner, they were giving a loyalty bonus of 15k, apart from the usual exchange bonuses.
Now a days, Maruti have become too aggressive in marketing the Swift. If you let them know that you might choose Gi10, they might throw in a bit more.
As far as AC is concerned, Grand i10 has improved AC over i20 which was downright pathetic. But Swift's ACC is in a different league altogether when it comes to quickly cooling the cabin. I haven't experienced manual AC of L & V variants, so can't comment on the same.

Edit-Just called my local MS dealer (M/s Sudha Motors). The latest price which they quoted for Swift ZXi was Rs.6,28,094 OTR Ranchi.
No discounts currently applicable on Petrol models except corporate discount of 10k and loyalty bonus of 5k. However on much pestering, he agreed to give the discount applicable on Diesel (20k) provided I fully pay them before this month.
All colours are in stock for the ZXi except torque blue.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 16th July 2014 at 12:08. Reason: Adding current price
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 12:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Just called my local MS dealer (M/s Sudha Motors). The latest price which they quoted for Swift ZXi was Rs.6,28,094 OTR Ranchi.
No discounts currently applicable on Petrol models except corporate discount of 10k and loyalty bonus of 5k. However on much pestering, he agreed to give the discount applicable on Diesel (20k) provided I fully pay them before this month.[/b] All colours are in stock for the ZXi except torque blue.
Hey thanks for those figures. So that means total discounts to the tune of 35k. Wow, that is indeed good. When we made a impromptu visit to the nearest Maruti Dealer (Vipul Motors), the lady only offered us a discount of 12k and some 5-6k corporate discount. Will try different dealer on this coming Saturday.
Old 16th July 2014, 12:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Hey thanks for those figures. So that means total discounts to the tune of 35k. Wow, that is indeed good. When we made a impromptu visit to the nearest Maruti Dealer (Vipul Motors), the lady only offered us a discount of 12k and some 5-6k corporate discount. Will try different dealer on this coming Saturday.
Pay a visit to Sanga Automobiles, Pratap Nagar. They offer pretty nice discounts. Vipul is the second best, while KP has no time for customers.

About the brake issue, yes the brakes on L and V trims are weaker than those on the Z trim due to the absence of ABS. But they are better than those of the first batch. If memory serves me right, Maruti rectified this problem in September 2012.

Last edited by dZired : 16th July 2014 at 12:33.
dZired is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks