Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 14:35   #646
BHPian

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Honda Jazz is a reliable option. If I were you I'd be interested in pre"worshipped" emphasis on the word worshipped VW Polo GT TSI or if your're worried about the gearbox than a GT TDI.
Old 24th August 2021, 08:48   #647
BHPian

Re: Suggest a car to purchase a hatchback below 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadimet View Post
[list=1][*]Only petrol Hatchback[*]Only Manual transmission[*]Front and back wipers, defogger, Reasonably good Audio package, Heater as well as AC inside, Adjustable height of the drivers seat, FOG Lamps, ABS, Airbags. No Internet connectivity ( a serious security risk)[*]Good safety rating at least 4 and above[*]Good ground clearance to avoid problems with Indian roads[*]I was thinking of TATA brands earlier; have visited Nissan Magnite which was sort of ok for me on the pricing front although the interiors could have been better. I was hearing that Tata brands have problems with their dashboard (vibrations after one year) and so I am worried.
By the way I am 49 years old if that is required and have a slight back ache problem which keeps coming up once in a while if I do not stretch and exercise (Yoga).

Surya@Vizag
Hi Surya, for your requirements, I think Altroz will suit really well.

First crossing out other options: Hyundai, Kia and Maruti fail on safety parameters of your requirement of 4, and you also said no to them. Mahindra does not have any compelling offer below 10, and Ford longevity in India is suspect! VW Polo is a strict 4 seater and the age on this model is seen compared to the new gen vehicles now.
JAZZ- We have a Jazz CVT in Vijayawada and we do Vizag trips too, the ground clearance is a BIG BIG issue, it keeps dinging, especially when 4 or 5 are seated. Secondly if you want a CVT then Jazz, else no point. Anyway our Jazz though the latest version, looks old and out of date, inside out.

Altroz- safety-5*, spacious, best in class ride quality, flat floor, 90 deg door opening, and a lot more features. Not sure of fuse box placement though. Harman Audio system is great, nice ground clearance. For the price range it is truly offering more car per car, IMHO.
TATA gremlins: I have been using a Tiago for 5 years and Harrier for 6 months, and a Manza (now sold) for 6 years. Three generations of cars, and all rattle free. Altroz has been selling more than i20 for last 2 to 3 months, and there are not many reports of any niggles cropping up. Infact before jumping gun and buying Harrier, I had booked Altroz myself.

CC vs BHP - the power boost is because of Turbo(turbo in layman's terms, which I know is that a motor is provided to pump in air into the engine, where as in normal engine, air is sucked into engine). Example- Altroz normal version provides a power of 86 BHP with a 1200cc engine. The same car in I turbo Avatar provides 110BHP with 1200cc. The turbo petrol in Nexon provides 118BHP approx. Choose your pick!
Old 24th August 2021, 10:38   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadimet View Post

Another issue is Engine power. My Punto is 1178 CC, 67 BHP whereas that of Nissan Magnite is 1000 CC, 78 CC for the turbo version. I did not understand how is Magnite better in terms of Engine power than the Punto. Can one of you clarify or point me to the right thread on this CC, BHP issue.
I would say don't worry about the engine size. Although larger size does enable you to burn more fuel (hence more power), they might not be efficient.

There are many parameters on which engine efficiency is calculated; how cleanly fuel gets burned, engine friction losses, etc. But one important parameter is volumetric efficiency.

When you have a 2000cc/4-cyl engine, it means each bore is of 500ml, but it doesn't mean it can intake fuel-air mixture up-to 500ml. When your car is running, it becomes hard for engine to suck more air and burn fuel efficiently. This causes the engine to burn some fuel, and send left over to exhaust. This causes higher emission, and low power which is not desirable.

Current gen engines are highly efficient and burn fuel more cleanly, generating more power in the process. You add a turbo to it, you will get even more power.

For example, Hyundai's 1l Turbo GDI (118hp) generates almost equivalent power of their old 1.6l MPI engine (123hp) and more power than their current 1.5 MPI engine (113hp).
Old 1st September 2021, 09:40   #649
Sky

Considering that you want a car with all the features and a good safety rating. I would like to suggest you the ford freestyle, I'm not sure whether it is 3star rated or 4 star, but it does offer loads of safety features including 6 airbags, hill hold control, traction control and anti rollover prevention. And in the top end model you get rear wiper washer defogger as well.

The freestyle offers 95bhp power which makes it the most powerful in the hatchback segment. It also has the segment leading ground clearance of 190mm. I've been using the vehicle for almost 3 months and I'm absolutely delighted to have it. The titanium plus version would cost you around 9lakh on road. Since you had mentioned that you have back ache then i would also suggest you to try the Ford Figo. Both of them are almost the same car but i found the seats of the figo to be more broader and comfortable than the freestyle. The figo also has the same engine and gives you 6 airbags in the top end model. The figo has a ground clearance of 174mm i guess, Although the ground clearance of figo is less than the freestyle but it is still better than what the competition has to offer.

I would suggest you to get a test drive of these vehicles.
You could also go for the Tata altroz it's a impressing product from Tata. Not to forget it is a 5star rated vehicle.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st September 2021 at 09:43. Reason: Added spacing for better readability.
Old 23rd September 2021, 00:08   #650
BHPian

What small car for wife?

The Figo is now 12 year old and despite doing only 50k kms is now showing its age. Multiple problems are creeping up which have twice left her stranded with the kid and the dog in tow causing major headache. So the time has finally come for a new car.

Requirements:
1)It has to be small. Will be driven almost exclusively in the city and the running is fairly low.
2)Has to be less than or around 10L on road
3)Reliable and safe.
4)Manual ok but auto preferred (No AMTs)
5) I will also be driving it sometimes so a sportier version will be preferred
6) There will be a dog on the rear seat most of the time though I don't know how exactly that information is supposed to help in the decision.

Based on above I have come to 4 options:

1) VW Polo TSI auto comfortline: with discounts et all around 10L OTR
Pros: We are well used to VWs (there have been 6 in the family). Only one with a good auto gearbox (plus don't have to worry about the DSG anymore). Good safety record and solid build quality. Best engine that I loved to drive as well. Ageless design which still looks great and feels like it will serve us for many years to come. Huge mod potential which can allow later additions of things that feel necessary.
Cons: Most expensive. Not well equipped. The dealers and SAs that we knew have sold out and there is only 1 dealer in Pune now. Wife has tendency to scratch the corners as clearances are a bit poor which means expensive repairs. Dark and small interiors are a bit depressing with not the best visibility outside.

2) Maruti Ignis Alpha MT : around 8L OTR
Pros: Small and tall with great visibility from driver seat. Ok engine for the city. Cheaper to buy and maintain. Much better equipped than the Polo. Haven't heard any horror stories about it.
Cons: Not the best made and seems a bit flimsy. Rear bench cramped. Newer Maruti cars don't age well which makes the 2L initial difference not seem that much. I am a bit worried about the big wheel arches which I feel the wife is sure to scratch. Looks a bit odd from the rear.

3) Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 1.0 GDI Manual: around 9.3 L OTR
Pros: Extremely well loaded with goodies. Engine seems quite good (haven't driven it yet). Spacious. They are offering an excellent extended warranty.
Cons: Both wife and I don't like how it looks. Very oddly proportioned with that drooping rear and the weird plastic bit at the C pillar. Hyundais are expensive to service almost like VW and spares aren't cheap either. Also they don't age well and all the euphoria of the goodies wears out with time. They have infuriating omissions between various versions which really annoys me. Actually feels a bit on the bigger side which might put the wife off.

4) Tata Tiago XZ + MT : around 7.5L OTR
Pros: Cheapest! Well equipped. Great music system. Small and manoeuvrable in the city. Decent airy cabin. Good safety. Swadeshi!!
Cons: Worst engine of the lot. Bit cramped at the rear. Not a fan of the facelift design, especially the digital speedometer. Service centres a bit far away and have questionable service and attitude as per reports and no idea of any longterm issues.

The i10Nios seems the best bet if we can overlook the way it looks. I feel we may end up going for the Polo for the confidence it brings plus the brilliant auto but knowing all the stuff it doesn't have will always nag me. The Ignis and the Tiago are outside bets at the moment.

Any ideas that may sway me in a particular direction or any corrections to the biases I have?
Amsdoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 00:26   #651
Team-BHP Support

Re: What small car for wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
2)Has to be less than or around 10L on road
Any ideas that may sway me in a particular direction or any corrections to the biases I have?
10L on road is a good budget to have for a second car. Lots of city friendly & smooth CVTs can be placed under the shortlist:

- Maruti Baleno
- Hyundai i20
- Renault Kiger
- Honda Jazz

However, you will only get the base model CVTs for this price. If you want features but don't want to go over 10L budget, you will have to opt for the (manual variant + mid/top end model)

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd September 2021 at 00:29.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:00   #652
BHPian

You can add Baleno and Altroz to your list as well. A 10 lakh budget will give you fairly good choices nonetheless.

With regard to your list, the Polo is dated, IMHO and the Ignis is just too cramped and doesn't justify the price tag. The Altroz would be a better bet than Tiago. The Nios is no doubt a good choice.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 23rd September 2021 at 02:03. Reason: Added text
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:13   #653
BHPian

I would personally go for the Polo TSI AT, it has a great built, good engine, refined transmission, and feels far more expensive than the other two on the list. A lot of people will point out the obvious which is the interior space, it is strictly for 2 medium-sized people in the back but as a secondary car, I wouldn't let the space be a deal-breaker. Also to address one more thing, the GC on these newer Polos have certainly increased and I would say they're on par with the rest of the lot.

There is one thing however which does worry me and that is the rather high On Road price for a Comfortline AT, Last year my own family bought a Polo Highline+ TSI AT as a secondary vehicle which sits higher and is more expensive than the Comfortline TSI AT but it still cost us around the mid 9 Lakh range On-Road in Gurgaon. Some of it might have to do with the on-road tax differences but I feel you can get a better discount if you try again because 10 Lakhs on road for a Comfortline AT just doesn't sit right with me.

On the other hand, the i10 is a great alternative and has more technology, and is easier to drive thanks to the lighter steering, slightly better visibility, easier to get in and out but it still feels a segment below and the build is lighter and has lesser safety ratings than the Polo. Also in terms of convenience, an auto makes more sense than a manual especially in a big crowded city like Pune.
GaryTSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:42   #654
BHPian

Note sure if he meant small hatchback ( since this is a hatchback thread) or small car.
If its small hatchback, why are we considering polo,jazz,i20,baleno etc?
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:51   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Note sure if he meant small hatchback ( since this is a hatchback thread) or small car.
If its small hatchback, why are we considering polo,jazz,i20,baleno etc?
Size wise the Polo fits in the class below than the Jazz/i20/Baleno/Altroz. Also is the only one with an affordable auto which is why i considered it. But otherwise you are right which is why I haven't considered the others
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:55   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTSI View Post
Some of it might have to do with the on-road tax differences but I feel you can get a better discount if you try again because 10 Lakhs on road for a Comfortline AT just doesn't sit right with me.
Taxes are very high in Maharashtra. The 10L is with loyalty and corporate discount included. Plus, earlier there were a few players in Pune for VW now only 1 dealer has complete monopoly so difficult to get bigger discounts
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:32   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
10L on road is a good budget to have for a second car. Lots of city friendly & smooth CVTs can be placed under the shortlist:- Maruti Baleno- Hyundai i20- Renault Kiger- Honda Jazz.However, you will only get the base model CVTs for this price. If you want features but don't want to go over 10L budget, you will have to opt for the (manual variant + mid/top end model)
I hate the Jazz/i20...Kiger is too big....but the Baleno..now that is a bit interesting..i hadn't considered it but I will take a test drive when I go for the Ignis. Thanks!
Old 18th April 2022, 18:15   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Hatchbacks in India will likely be restricted to the top 3 manufacturers in India.

Volkswagen has announced its retirement of the Polo and most likely Honda's Jazz is too in in last lap of its India Journey.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  86.6 KB

The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!-2.jpg

The hatchback market is maintaining sales despite market fluctuation. This is one -third of the total Indian car market, so it is clear that the segment is not going anywhere in a hurry.

the segment to account for a third of the market and to grow by 14% in the next five years, albeit at a lower rate than SUVs.

Link
Old 21st April 2022, 20:28   #659
BHPian

Require a B2 hatchback shared by Dad and Me

Hi All,

So we currently own a 2009 Hyundai i10 1.2, 2015 Fiat Punto Evo Diesel and a 2012 Tata Nano.

We are looking to replace the i10 primarily as its showing its age and we have already spent a good amount in maintenance and fuel (since its not too fuel efficient). We have finally decided to let go of the i10 and the Punto ( why Punto? because financial constraints and its already 7 years old and I would not get any resale later when it comes close to its 10yr timeline, thanks to the NCR ruling).

Now due to some financial constraints, our budget is capped at a max 7L on road and we have shortlisted a couple of options. The main criteria is to have a sensible, safe and fuel efficient car which will be shared with dad and me for the next one year at least. Post this timeline, it will be either driven by dad or me and another car will be added replacing the Nano.

Main Requirements:
1. Fuel Efficient
2. Expecting some aspect of build quality (Remember I drive a Punto)
3. Reliable and not so expensive spares
4. Less than 7 lakh on road

Options Shortlisted

1. Suzuki Ignis Delta - With Discounts, 6.45L
Absolutely brilliant car. Fell for it the moment me and dad drove it. We both felt right at home. Peppy engine, good interiors and build quality (what we felt) and good amount of space. Lastly, fuel efficient too.

2. Suzuki Swift Lxi With Discounts, 6.72L
Haven't driven it yet as it was never considered earlier but we put a thought to it as its within the budget. Honestly, I am not sure about the build quality and Lxi doesn't have too many standard features (not even rear power windows). Has a very good mod potential though and fuel efficient too. Not sure how spacious it is compared to the Ignis.

3. Suzuki WagonR Vxi 1.0L, With Discounts, 6.22L for the 1.0L. Need to check for the Zxi 1.2
Dad really liked it but I am not too sure of it. Not too fond of the looks. Yes its practical and fuel efficient but its just not clicking with me.

Now the dilemma is that i am not sure how long the Ignis will be selling in the market. Not sure if Maruti decides to discontinue it soon as it doesn't sell too well compared to other models.

We also considered other brand and models like the Nissan Magnite, Tata Punch etc. but don't really want to consider them. Honestly, not sure about Nissan if they will stay long term, and don't want to consider Tata due to the service experience.

I hope I have not confused you more. Any advice or help will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 21st April 2022 at 20:30.
Old 21st April 2022, 21:21   #660
Senior - BHPian

Re: Require a B2 hatchback shared by Dad and Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hi All,

I hope I have not confused you more. Any advice or help will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry to say but I do not completely agree with your reasoning to skip Nissan/Renault and Tata altogether.

Few suggestions from my side:

> Continue with the Punto. It won't fetch you a good amount even if you sell now with 3 years of life left.

> Tata Tiago is a great (and probably the best) vehicle for your requirements and budget.

> Be informed that the feel you get in Ignis is not an indicator of safety. Most Hyundai cars "feel" better than Maruti at this price point but we all know who fares better at the NCAP.

> Rather than the options you've shortlisted, a Baleno Sigma makes much more sense. On-road price is a little over 7 lakh but is well worth it for the additional equipment on offer.
self_driven is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks