Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:55   #301
BHPian

Re: Elite i20 or Baleno or Honda Amaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
6.5 KMPL I20 Elite
Petrol Hyundais were never known for their FE figures. I drive an i10 (1.2 Magna) and in the city, the FE hovers around 11-12.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:22   #302
BHPian

Quote:
6.5 KMPL I20 Elite was on the top of the list and now its on the bottom. I am a Diesel driver and heavy on pedal, even my Pulsar doesnt give me over 30 KMPL i understand Elite i20 will burn my wallet in this case :(.
Thank You for your input this will definitely help
Even this bleeds my pocket so heavily that, I get confused if this has a lot to do with my driving style. The owners manual states that to maintain an rpm of 2k-4k while in run in period of first 2000 km, but because I was not in town at the time of purchase, this was not taken care of

Now, how much I try to drive sedately in city, the FE never goes above 8-9kmpl. Other i20 petrol owners, if someone can throw a little light on it, it will be really helpful! [ btw, now I consciously try to keep rev meter around 2k at most of the time while driving]

Last edited by ashikthomson : 2nd April 2019 at 11:37.
ashikthomson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:36   #303
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you. This will help as it is coming from existing owner
Actually, I am not an owner. But I had driven the i20 for a decent stretch while shortlisting my first car. Finally, settled for the Figo 1.5 TDCi .

BTW, your running is good enough to warrant a diesel and the i20 has an excellent diesel engine. The only reason why I didn't go for the i20 diesel was that I was getting the bare-bones Magna variant within my budget. The new Magna+ though has decent features.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 14:44   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a Petrol hatch and I am pretty confused ..
It's true that petrol engine in the Elite i20 feels mediocre and is not that fuel efficient as well.

Less fuel efficiency from a powerful car doesn't disappoint me much. I understand that performance and efficiency can't go hand in hand. What disappoints me is that a car with mediocre engine having average performance gives you poor efficiency. Which is what Elite i20 is.

Since fuel efficiency is one of your major requirement, I won't recommend i20 petrol to you.

However, if all I was looking from a hatchback is good build quality, comfortable and spacious interiors, good features, then its difficult to ignore i20 and no wonder it sells so much.

If I want good engine performance from a petrol car with at least 15kmpl then I'll put my money on the Baleno petrol.

But do note that the body panels of Baleno are extremely delicate. Although delicate body panels doesn't always imply poor safety ratings but they are definitely prone to dents and dings. So i will mentally prepare myself for that if I ever buy a Baleno and will take immense care regarding where to park.

Hope that helps. All the best regarding your car purchase.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 2nd April 2019 at 14:57.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:23   #305
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs other B-segment Hatchbacks

I have asked FORD SA to bring in Ford Aspire Diesel for a TD tomorrow lets see if they give out some discounts on the final price.
Old 2nd April 2019, 17:42   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Have any other rival in mind? Hit the other option and share your personal choice!
It would be great if you can update the features / pros / cons of each of the cars as it stands in 2019.
Few of the cars (Baleno, i20, Jazz) have shuffled variants and equipment levels, some have seen facelifts (swift, Figo) and some are as good as being discontinued (Bolt).
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 10:50   #307
BHPian

Hi Guys I m back again with my query.
just eyed few used Skoda cars in diesel, Superb and rapid at mouth watering prices under 5 lakhs. does it makes sense to go for an Second H Skoda? what would be maintenance and upkeep for cars run around 1 lakh or so
Old 7th May 2019, 10:49   #308
Senior - BHPian

Maruti lost it dramatically in about 2015. I know because a friend had the 2014 Swift which he sold for the 2016 Baleno. The Swift, for all its intricacies, was a sturdy car with sturdy body panels and never gave him any issues. Comparatively, the Baleno has very thin and dent prone panels and has had lots of parts quality issues, many known to and fixed by the manufacturer under warranty. Same with the new 2018 Swift and Dzire. My contacts at the service centres inform that all the new cars that came after the Baleno have these issues.

Hyundai, surprisingly, have not reacted to the Baleno. Their i20 has basic rear seat space issue and i expected them to address it which they haven't. I haven't driven the i20 Active and later. The build of that car inside and outside is fantastic but the engine and handling is lack luster.

Honda has a basic problem with cost. The build of their cars is not that much better than Maruti but they price themselves out of the competition. When my friend bought the Baleno, he liked the Jazz better but disqualified it due to 50k higher cost without equivalent features. In response to Baleno's success, Honda offered 50k discounts for the subsequent year, then discontinued the S and SV trims! So the cheapest Jazz is now 1+something lakh more than the zeta Baleno! That's not very straight thinking for a company who wants to compete by offering better engineered cars at a slight premium.

Toyota’s issue in India is not with their reliability or build, but with their cars not feeling premium inside. What, with the central mounted odo that makes do with a sticker instead of proper scale, hard cheap plastics etc. It feels built to a cost which equates to “not VFM” and makes the customer feel not valued sufficiently. Strangely, both reliability and build will suffer with the cross-badged Baleno (Glanza), Brezza and Ciaz that Toyota will now sell.

In comparison, i believe Tata is currently building some fantastic cars but there are some weird quality issues there- like cars that stop working and then start working on their own for no apparent reason. If your luck attracts all the possible invocations of Murphy's law (which actually isn't most people), i wouldn't recommend a Tata. If you don't come in that category, Tata's are built like tanks.

VW’s sales strategy seems to be to separate customers into premium and non-premium categories even in the same car model. For example, the lower trims of the Polo (which are already 50k more expensive than corresponding Baleno) have a 3 cylinder 1.0l petrol that's gravelly and noisy whereas the TSI trim of the same car has a 4 cylinder 1.2l petrol that is smoother, less noisy, better insulated, better trimmed and priced into the next higher segment. Plus parts cost a small fortune. Plus, they say their cars are German engineered but the truth is these are cars built in India, for India and at lower quality and trim standards than the same cars offer overseas.
RM Motorsports is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 11:14   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
So the cheapest Jazz is now 1+something lakh more than the zeta Baleno!
While I agree Jazz is overpriced for what it offers, the numbers mentioned are incorrect. Considering bangalore prices, its around 45k difference in ex-showroom between Zeta Petrol(Baleno) & V Petrol(Jazz). And 25k difference in VX petrol and Alpha Petrol manuals. For automatics its further reduced to 15-20k difference.

With current offers running on Jazz(70k+), its turning out cheaper than both i20 and Baleno by a substantial margin. Jazz VX CVT cost me around 40k lesser than both i20 Asta(O) & Baleno Alpha CVT. Best part being the transmission in Jazz is superior to both of them.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th May 2019 at 11:17.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:32   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Maruti lost it dramatically in about 2015. I know because a friend had the 2014 Swift which he sold for the 2016 Baleno. The Swift, for all its intricacies, was a sturdy car with sturdy body panels and never gave him any issues. Comparatively, the Baleno...
Nice comparison of Maruti Suzuki cars with other manufacturer's. Incidentally, I read the same answer yesterday on quora. Are you on quora too?

https://www.quora.com/Maruti-Suzuki-car-owners-How-is-your-experience-with-current-generation-cars-from-the-manufacturer-Would-you-recommend-for-a-person-to-buy-his-next-car-as-Maruti-Suzuki-What-will-be-your-next-car-after-owning-a/answer/Ameya-Murdeshwar

Quote:
I agree with other posters. Maruti lost it dramatically in about 2015. I know because i had the 2014 Swift which i sold for the 2016 Baleno. The Swift, for all its intricacies, was a sturdy car with sturdy body panels and never gave me any issues. Comparatively, the Baleno...

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 7th May 2019 at 11:35.
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:15   #311
Senior - BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend here:
Of the Jazz, Baleno/Glanza, and the i20, which of the cars are crash tested by NCAP? My friend wants to buy a new car. He somehow refuses to look at Tata.

Context: He was involved in an accident in his Liva about 3 months ago. The car was totalled, but his wife and him were safe with minor injuries.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd May 2020 at 23:16.
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:38   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Posting on behalf of a friend here:
Of the Jazz, Baleno/Glanza, and the i20, which of the cars are crash tested by NCAP? My friend wants to buy a new car. He somehow refuses to
A quick Google search offers these results: Jazz - 4, Baleno - 3.5 and i20 - 3 on NCAP rating.

Your friend has gone through the worse, so maybe he knows it how to tread on the road. But you can do every thing right and yet get into the same situation again because of someone else.

So please ask him to reconsider going for a 5 star rated car, for which more options appear if you move into the next category of compact SUVs. Or else, Jazz it is.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:12   #313
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Of the Jazz, Baleno/Glanza, and the i20, which of the cars are crash tested by NCAP? My friend wants to buy a new car. He somehow refuses to look at Tata.
Just convince that friend for a Tata Nexon. It may be hard but he shall be happy with the choice once he starts living with the Nexon. One can get squeeze in the Nexon in for the budget he has in mind set for either of Baleno/Elite i20.

Nexon is a much safer car and will keep himself and his family safe in it.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 21:52   #314
BHPian

On the vote meter of this thread, Baleno gets 29% vote followed by i20 at 25%, but if one goes through all the comments then everyone suggests to stay away from Baleno considering its build quality. Something doesn't add up. Either, everyone knows when it comes to overall practicality, engine, features etc, Baleno is the choice but then doesn't mention it in the comments or way more people have voted and haven't commented anything.
Old 5th July 2020, 14:43   #315

I own an i20 asta optional (top end with 6 air bags). FE is 11-12 in city and 15-16 on highways ( speeds on an average exceeding 100 consistently). Car is comfortable, loaded with features and is good for family with 2 young kids. Rear AC is an added advantage. The 6 air bags psychologically make me feel safe ( especially since always drive with family).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks