Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 22:32   #91
BHPian

Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

My brother is using Tiago AMT and my Brother-in-law using Tiago Manual. Both have been using their respective Tiago's for more than 1.5 years and No complaints as such. So based on their feedback and your choice list, I would suggest you to go for Tiago. If your budget is allowed I would suggest you to go for Tiago AMT.
Old 17th December 2019, 03:18   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrvenkataraman View Post
Santro and i10 are off the list because of the Hyundai tag, very very bad petrol fuel efficiency as opposed to tiago or swift, also lack of space in the cabin as well as rear seat, among few other things.
So my budget is 6L max. That's one of the major constraints.
Congratulations on your decision to opt for the Tiago and I wish you many years of enjoyable ownership and drives.

While I respect your comments towards Hyundai cars in general, and Grand i10 in particular, I would like to offer my opinion for the benefit of others who may have read about your views on the Grand i10.

We purchased a BSIV Grand i10 Magna on November 23 for considerable discount of Rs 85,000. The on-road cost was Rs 5.75 lakh and I got a further discount of Rs 1,25,000 as resale value of my old i10 2010 (1.48L kms) Magna 1.2L. As a result, my on-road cost was Rs 4.5 L for the Grand i10 Magna, which includes 5 year extended warranty. The Magna appealed to us as VFM as it had all the basic necessities on our checklist.

Regarding fuel efficiency, I must admit that FE figures would largely depend on the driving conditions and the driving style. By nature, I am a sedate driver and given the road conditions here in Goa, I almost always had an average of 17.3 kmpl (using top-up to top-up tests for over 200 times) on my i10 between 2010 and 2019 under mixed driving conditions.

I have, so far, done 900 kms on my new Grand i10 and two top-up to top-up FE tests have returned 17.5 kmpl and 17.8 kmpl. Again, under mixed conditions. So in my case, the FE is surely not bad at all for the two i10 siblings.

Regarding cabin space and back seat, I can't compare the Tiago and the Grand i10 as I never test drove the Tiago, as a Tata car was never on our list, given our concerns over long-term service and reliability. But we have been quite satisfied with the Grand i10 for our three-member family and the occasional fourth person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
As you mentioned above, I would like to know what mileage figures are you expecting.
I recently purchased Grand i10 Petrol and I am getting 11-13 kmpl in Delhi traffic which I find good for a Hyundai which has a bad reputation in FE.
My friend has achieved 15kmpl max in a Baleno for reference.

Grand i10 can be a good option for you in this price point if you require good space as well as good build quality.
Gi10 Nios Magna is priced around 6.5 L onroad if you are keen on getting a BS6 car.
Else BS4 models are being offered at 1L discount. So effective price of Sportz variant will be around 5.5- 5.7L.

No offense to respective owners of other cars.
Just my point of view.
Fully agree.

Quote:
i10 and Santro wise, there are a lot of compromises in safety, build quality isn't a given, and also Hyundai service costs are known to be a lot more than Maruti/Tata's range. Spares are costlier too right? Relatively atleast?
For us, our car of choice has depended largely on the three cost factors (Purchase costs, Running costs and Service costs), fitment/build/ride quality and service support.

The purchase cost of Rs 4.5 lakh and the good FE we have got on the Grand i10 (avg 17.5 kmpl) have been to our expectations. We have not done the first service of our Grand i10 as yet, but going by the nominal service costs of our previous i10 (average was Rs 3,000-4,000), I have no doubt that our Grand i10 is not likely to be significantly higher.

I don't think the i10 has compromised on safety and build quility. In fact, we have always found a Hyundai hatch to have had better build quality than a comparable Maruti car in its price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
One thing I would specify here is, with 5 i-10's in my family and neighbours, Hyundai petrol is one of the best engines out there. I have been driving an i10 sports for 6 years, and its annual service cost is equivalent to my Activa's annual service. Refinement wise, quality wise, reliability wise and customer support wise, its the best out there.
Oh, and I have constantly got 20+ kmpl (without AC - winters) on Chandigarh - Delhi highways while driving consistently at 100+ kmph as well as 17+ kmpl with AC and 175 profile tyres (stock were 155) on Salem - Coimbatore highway. Cannot say where the poor petrol efficiency comes from.
Fully agree on the refinement, quality, reliability and customer support levels for our Grand i10. We too have loved the 1.2 petrol engine, first on our 2010 i10 and now in our Grand i10.

Quote:
A friend of mine has an i20 and has gotten 9-12kmpl max in Chennai city traffic and 15-16kmpl max in highway driving. Petrol vehicle. Tiago on the other hand from most reviews i have read seem to improve efficiency towards the second service giving upwards of 14-15kmpl in city traffic and 22-23kmpl in highways (sedate driving) and 19-21Kmpl (normal driving with AC on and good speed). This is what I gathered reading so many ownership reviews here and on cardekho.
There is a considerable difference between FE on the Grand i10 and the i20. The i20 is a heavier car and is bound to have a lower FE. You must compare the Tiago with the Grand i10.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 06:09   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Are alloy wheels an absolute necessity? I might try and put up a rear wiper, but other features like speakers, and such don't really feel necessary.
If you don't mind me chipping in I'll say alloy wheels are never "absolute necessity". No doubt they enhance the look and improve performance (almost imperceptible) due to lesser weight. But steel wheels are more practical for pothole ridden Indian roads - less prone to damage. Plus they usually come with higher profile tires where the thicker sidewall absorbs some bumpiness.
Old 17th December 2019, 07:00   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
If you don't mind me chipping in I'll say alloy wheels are never "absolute necessity". No doubt they enhance the look and improve performance (almost imperceptible) due to lesser weight. But steel wheels are more practical for pothole ridden Indian roads - less prone to damage. Plus they usually come with higher profile tires where the thicker sidewall absorbs some bumpiness.
Speakers and a good touchscreen system aren't a necessity but they make driving pleasant.

And a touchscreen means you can fit a reverse camera (with lane guides) and usable parking sensors that aren't just beeps and distance indicators. Very useful for new drivers and even for experienced drivers.
Old 17th December 2019, 07:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

I'm a little surprised to see this thread has gone on so long without a decision made!! First car better be a hatchback and from your preferences you want fuel efficiency and a comfortable ride. I suggest Maruti Swift or Ignis, the latter being a slow seller has some great deals, small footprint, easy to punt around, great ingress-egress, fuel efficient, funky styling, refined and reliable. If you want something bigger you can consider the Swift, it's a little spacious with all other qualities. For a first car: don't try to stand out from the crowd and burn your fingers. It should be either a Maruti or Hyundai.
Old 17th December 2019, 14:44   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please elaborate on the AMC part? It would be very helpful. What is the rationale in suggesting to opt out of getting an AMC - please elaborate if you can.
If I were to move away from the TASS and get my car serviced at an FNG, I would not require AMC. When I purchased my car, I had doubts about TASS, down the lane it turned out to be good enough to maintain my car. I had opted for P2P (promise to protect) and it turned out to be a good deal. I can get wear and tear components replaced at no extra cost (labour and spares including). I hope your salesman has informed you about this. If not, do enquire once.

You can evaluate AMC if you feel it works out for you.
Old 17th December 2019, 14:56   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I'm a little surprised to see this thread has gone on so long without a decision made!!
He's already decided to go with the Tiago if I'm not mistaken. He's just clearing up some doubts he has, while some others are just continuing to contribute.
Old 17th December 2019, 15:54   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
If I were to move away from the TASS and get my car serviced at an FNG, I would not require AMC. When I purchased my car, I had doubts about TASS, down the lane it turned out to be good enough to maintain my car. I had opted for P2P (promise to protect) and it turned out to be a good deal. I can get wear and tear components replaced at no extra cost (labour and spares including). I hope your salesman has informed you about this. If not, do enquire once.

You can evaluate AMC if you feel it works out for you.

Since I have almost nil experience with car service and stuff, I'd probably be more comfortable with TASS. How much does P2P cost?
Old 18th December 2019, 14:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Since I have almost nil experience with car service and stuff, I'd probably be more comfortable with TASS. How much does P2P cost?
P2P for Tiago starts from 3499 Rs and goes till 6399 Rs depending on the mileage and the number of years you want to include. I paid 4899 for a 4 year or 45000KM coverage.
Old 19th December 2019, 08:05   #100
BHPian

We can get the P2P even after 1 year right? Coz they have given AMC Gold and Ex-Warranty with the car. AMC gold for one year. Taking P2P after that 1 year is advisable right?
Old 19th December 2019, 14:05   #101
BHPian

Quote:
We can get the P2P even after 1 year right? Coz they have given AMC Gold and Ex-Warranty with the car. AMC gold for one year. Taking P2P after that 1 year is advisable right?
Good call, yes P2P can be purchased after one year too. I purchased it at the end of my 3 free services. How much did the AMC cost you ? Can you please share more details on the AMC ?
Old 22nd December 2019, 15:44   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Good call, yes P2P can be purchased after one year too. I purchased it at the end of my 3 free services. How much did the AMC cost you ? Can you please share more details on the AMC ?

Hi, The AMC Gold is given along with the car. I think it's around 4300 rupees. Is that a lot or just the right amount?
Old 22nd December 2019, 20:08   #103
BHPian

Joining this thread a bit late. I drive a Tiago petrol XZ (non-alloys) while my wife drives a petrol Grand i10 Magna . This is my third Tata vehicle, the first two being the original petrol Indica and Nano. Simply put, i bought the Tiago for the Value-For-Money it offers in-terms of features to price. Plus the space and toughness is a consistent plus with Tata cars. I love the drive comfort it offers me. City driving is a breeze with the Tiago. That said, for a first timer, Tata cars can be a 50/50 experience. if you are lucky you will get a gem of a car. Else, you will get a vehicle that would have small small niggles that would crop up often. My Tiago that is now about 2 year old has develop AC issues, even after having it checked and repaired(?) in a Tata ASS. I actually trust my usual FNG but he is unwilling to touch the AC issue as the car is still under warranty. (He does not want to void the warranty by tinkering around). This brings me to the TASS. Most are bad, in my experience. They have improved over the years, but i really struggle in finding a good TASS when i have serious issues. (I had several fights with TASS over both my Indica and Nano when they developed serious problems. But then again both vehicles ran for a long time - 10+ years (Indica) and 7 years (Nano)). I personally feel, TASS are fine for regular servicing and minor issues, but not when there is a serious problem. I would suggest checking which company has a good ASS in your city (Chennai, i think, right?) and consider a vehicle from that company. After all a car is a long term relationship. In that way, Hyundai has a better service approach. They fix all issues but they charge a bomb for it!
At the end of the day, while I love driving my Tiago, i think you need to approach this purchase knowing the potential cons as well. That's what i did. I bought the Tiago as i felt it suited me perfectly and i was against a fixed budget as well. Hence it offered the best VFM as compared to other vehicles. I knew TASS was dicey but i had planned to stop going to TASS after the 3 free services.

(PS: Just fyi, My Tiago is giving about 13-14kpl in traffic w/AC, as compared to my wife's Grand i10 which is giving about 12kpl in similar conditions.)

Last edited by DriverR : 22nd December 2019 at 20:20. Reason: Added additional points
Old 23rd December 2019, 19:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, The AMC Gold is given along with the car. I think it's around 4300 rupees. Is that a lot or just the right amount?
It sounds like a decent amount. Can you please elaborate on what is covered under AMC?
Old 23rd December 2019, 20:51   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I'm a little surprised to see this thread has gone on so long without a decision made!!
+1
But, this 5-7 lakhs segment is the most populated and tough segment to choose. We are spoilt with so many choices. Either we end up with a wrong decision or even if it is right, our neighbors will make us feel we are wrong with the decision.

Quote:
For a first car: don't try to stand out from the crowd and burn your fingers. It should be either a Maruti or Hyundai.
I will treat this as the nations voice and that's the sole reason why we have Maruti and Hyundai stay at the top with volumes.

Quote:
Seems like you are sold to Tiago. It's a nice car. You can bet on the new age TATA's.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks