Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2019, 07:46   #106

My First Car with my First Earnings

Hello Bhpians ,

My name is Sravani ,new to TBhp membership but not new to forum ,reading forum from a longtime and coming to the topic I'm looking to purchase my first car (Not our Family) with my earnings my budget is strictly six lakhs onroad and I'm open for both manual and automatic transmission I didn't had any brand preference ,request all Bhpians to come out and suggest me a good car,my inner soul wants to go with Etios Liva

I'm looking forward for your opinions

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th December 2019, 09:32   #107
BHPian

Re: My First Car with my First Earnings

Hi Sravani, you can check the Maruti Wagon R VXI AMT 1.2. Great car, decent interiors, airy cabin and coupled with the K12 engine you can never go wrong with it.

Liva is equally good car. But, with no offence to the owners, you may have to live with its Taxi image.

Last edited by saisree : 26th December 2019 at 09:35.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 09:43   #108
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum. Apart from the budget, other requirements like usage pattern would help us suggest better.

If you have any prior experience with cars, I would suggest the Tata Tiago XZA(automatic). However, if its your/family's first car, Wagon R or Santro should be the safest bet.

Will not suggest a new Etios Liva as its future is ambiguous, instead will suggest a sparingly used Liva petrol, preferably from Toyota U-trust, if you are open to buying used cars.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 09:47   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum! Can't imagine how exciting it would be to finally get one's own car. Even I wait for that day with bated breath being a teenager.

Coming to the point, here are your options:

- Hyundai Santro: Well built for the price point, refined motor and top notch quality. A rare car that has an acceptable AMT gearbox in case you do opt for that variant. My suggestion though would be the top end manual, as the AMT will be a stretch and you might have to compromise on features

- TATA Tiago: A car that easily punches above it's weight when you consider the price. Well equipped and a very well rounded package. Stretch for the XZ variant which should be possible considering the discounts on offer.

- Maruti S-presso: I don't have a liking towards this car to be brutally honest, but if you can live with the looks and the jiggly ride, the 1.0 K-series is a gem of an engine. It's the only selling point for the S-presso as a product of you ask me. Top end should fall well within your 6L budget.

- Renault Kwid: Well priced, well equipped, neutral ride and handling along with good looks. The 1.0 SCe isn't particularly sprightly though, especially in comparison to the K-series. But as an all rounded A-segment hatch, I would any day pick the Kwid over the S-presso.

I will be honest upfront, as an owner of a Renault Kwid AMT, I don't think A segment hatches offer a lot of value bordering close to the 6L mark. It's just better to spend a bit more and go for better engineered cars such as the Tiago.

All the best with your purchase and do keep us updated
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 10:50   #110
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

If you can put up with the interiors of the Liva, then I see no reason why you shouldn't go for it. It has the typical bullet proof Toyota reliability.

However, if you would like to go for something more contemporary, then I would suggest the Ignis Delta. It belongs to the same segment as Liva, has better looking interiors, a better engine etc.

You can also check at Hyundai if they have some remaining stock of the previous gen Grand i10. The previous gen Grand i10 Magna or Sportz would perhaps be the best option within 6 Lakhs.

Last edited by AYP : 26th December 2019 at 11:09.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 11:21   #111
BHPian

If you’re open to the idea, then why don’t you take a look at pre-owned cars? I’m sure you’d find something much more VFM there. But just to keep things sane, go for a small to medium sized hatchback like the Gen 1 Figo, i10 etc. If you’re fixated on the Etios Liva, then go for it without second thoughts.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 18:47   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Apart from the budget, other requirements like usage pattern would help us suggest better.
Thanks ,
Yes I had previous experience with cars,I learnt driving on Nano XT and I drive Datsun Redigo. My requirements are fun to drive which I missed on my previous cars ,we would take it to city as well as highway drives however we won't cross legal speeds of 80KMph I'm inclined towards Spresso and Etios Liva. Only thing worrying me is spares and ASS of Toyota after it discontinues Liva.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th December 2019 at 20:05. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 27th December 2019, 11:50   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srav0295 View Post
Only thing worrying me is spares and ASS of Toyota after it discontinues Liva.
I doubt this will ever be a problem for a mass-market Toyota. There are enough Etios's and Liva's on the road to keep Toyota busy w.r.t after sales service. Just that the VFM'ness would be more if one is lucky to get a sparingly used Etios/Liva for half the price of a new one, since there hadn't been too many additions w.r.t features since its launch.

EDIT: As already suggested, the other fun to drive car would be Ignis, only some variants could fall under 6L budget though.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 27th December 2019 at 11:51.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 19:52   #114

I checked spresso today and impressed with it's design and cuteness ,is it good to go for spresso??
Old 13th January 2020, 17:10   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I checked spresso today and impressed with it's design and cuteness ,is it good to go for spresso??
I have driven a friend's car (for about 20 kms) and it was a fun and peppy drive, has good GC and in my opinion a good first car that would fit within your budget.

Remember a few things,

(1) Negotiate hard but remember sales people are also human, so never disrespect them

(2) Once agreed upon, write a formal email (NO calls, whatsapp etc) mentioning ALL your terms, ask them to acknowledge it,

(3) Ask for a proforma invoice if you are applying for a loan

(4) Plan for a sufficient waiting time for the colour of your choice

(5) Do a PDI (it is in the forum, check it out)

(6) NEVER take a car without registering it fully

Enjoy and welcome to the world of motoring. Wishing you many more miles in the days to come.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 14:06   #116
BHPian

Buying a new car is as exciting as tiring it can be. There are ample choices in the market, some within budget, some not so.
I have been through this dilemma few years back.
I had a strict budget in my mind and didn't want to cross that. After much deliberation, I had shortlisted Tiago and Eon.
As the usual case is with many families, my family too didn't want me to buy a car from the company that makes lorries. Yes that exactly was thing that I had heard.
Nonetheless, I ended up buying the Hyundai Eon for 5L on road in Bangalore.
During the same time a friend of mine bought the Tiago for 6L something in Bangalore. I took a drive in his car and was blown away. The ride quality, music system, drive ability was much much superior for 1L extra (which I was very much able to afford).
After this I just couldn't go back and drive the Eon with its ride quality and abysmal FE.
So fast forward 3 yrs and I bought the Nexon Diesel automatic and couldn't be much happier. Whoever cringed at the thought of a Tata car, I made a point to give them a ride in my car and most have shut up. Still, few fanboys couldn't stop ranting and I do not care much about that.

The bottomline of this anecdote is that please decide carefully and before buying the car. Once you buy it, it will be with you every day and you won't be able to reverse your decision. Check carefully how affected you will be if you stretch your budget. Just don't end up buying a car because it's the highest selling or your family recommends it. According to my experience, family members who are the most vocal doesn't have any experience about cars. Buy something that you will enjoy driving and will look back after parking it.

That's my 2pence.
Old 16th January 2020, 17:36   #117

Tata Tiago is a great car, it terms of build quality, safety features and FE. Its just that, I did not find the after-sales service adequate. And its a big problem when you don't understand it yourself, and do not have anyone to depend upon, especially if its your first car.

I have been an owner of Tiago for 2 years. At the end of one year, I faced problem with the battery (Tata Green, which was replaced at the end of 11th month). All was well until during a hot summer, my car behaved like it was out fuel, when it still had half a tank left. I visited the ASS three times for this issue, and all three times I was told everything is fine. The fourth time I was so frustrated, I told the ASS guy to keep the car until he finds out and resolves the problem and meanwhile I will drop an email to Tata. Then to my surprise, he told that there is a problem reported with Tiago, when its really hot, the fuel pump stops working, and the car behaves like its out of fuel.

I was on 23rd month of purchase. Had it been 1 more month, I would've had to pay around 8K for the pump replacement, and I strongly think that's what they were up to. I used to think manufactures recall cars in case there is some known issue, to retain the brand reputation, but Tata doesn't seem to care.

My takeaway : No good thing comes at cheap price.
Old 16th January 2020, 17:57   #118
BHPian

Hey! Since the budget of yours is not that huge plus you have recently learnt driving I would suggest you to have a look at pre-owned segment for once. A friend of mine got a Polo GT-TSI for around the same budget as yours. He got a pretty lucrative deal as the car was very well kept, you can also look for some similar deals.
Old 16th January 2020, 18:17   #119
BHPian

Although, I have nothing against Tiago but I have read its name more in this thread than I actually see on the road. Just wondering, if the real junta really care about a Tata car howsoever good it may be. If Tiago can be badge swapped with Maruti, I am sure it will outrun Swifts and Ignis of this world.
Old 16th January 2020, 21:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My name is Sravani ,new to TBhp membership but not new to forum ,reading car (Not our Family) with my earnings my budget is strictly six lakhs onroad and I'm open for both manual and automatic transmission I didn't had any brand preference.
A couple of questions will help us guide you better.

What type of driving/roads will you need the car for. So, for example, are bad roads an issue and do you need good ground clearance. Or do you need a 4x4 for example.

Is space an issue with parking/driving. For example, if you have a small parking space, or you live in a place with narrow roads, I would recommend a smaller car.

Is a used car an issue for you or the family. Used cars are cheaper but you run a bit more of a risk. Selecting carefully is essential.

How important is comfort on long drives. Generally bigger cars are more comfortable.

What dealers do you have in your town. There is no point recommending a car where you need to drive a couple of hundred kilometres to get it serviced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks