Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 17:11   #136
BHPian

Re: Compact/Small Hatchback (city driven) for newbie drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
We are planning to replace our third car (apart from Ecosport & Duster) 14yr old Alto LX (without Power Steering/Power Windows) with a small/compact hatchback. The problem with the current car is the lack of power steering and its 14 yrs old.
Considering your requirements, i would advise you to go for a used car. You can have a look at used pre-facelift ford figo.

Pro's:
1. Solid build quality.Since it would be driven by new drivers, build quality
should be good.
2. Hoot to drive due to hydraulic power steering.
3. You can find a lot of them in your price range especially the petrol ones.

Con's:
1. Mileage would be lower compared to maruti/hyundai.
2. Servicing costs may be a bit on the higher side(though it's comparable or
lower than market leaders now).
3. You won't get much resale value if you intend to sell it.
Fordlover88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:31   #137
BHPian

Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

Hello everyone!
A friend wants to buy his first car and has the following requirements

- Budget 8L
- Manual Transmission
- Diesel/Petrol both are okay
- Comfortable drive
- Should be loaded with features (Touchscreen and reverse camera are must)

Inputs/Suggestions shall be highly appreciated.
Old 12th April 2020, 22:49   #138

After the pandemic I plan to buy a car. Basically for my wife. A car for taking kids to and from school which is around 7km away. So 28 km a day. All in Trivandrum a comparatively small city. Already own an Ertiga for long journey.
My max budget is 4 to 4.5 can stretch it to 5. wife was insistent for a new car. We went for MTV and one more 2nd hand dealer (don't remember the name). But she flatly refused it. Major worry is why would anybody sell a good car unless it has issues. So we checked the new KWID, S-Presso and Alto. She is of medium height and was not at all comfortable in an Alto. She was driving a Santro (15 years old and almost worn down). My major requirements are low on maintenance, low fuel consumption and the budget.
Wife is happy with S-Presso. Strangely both of us liked the shape and test drove an AMT. She said she is happy with manual. Any owners have anything -ve to say about ownership niggles.
Look is fine and we are ok with the crash rating of 2. Wife is a careful enough driver. A minimum of 10 years ownership is what we are looking at. We have been told we can get a 20-25000 Cash discount. Is it ok?

Any owners can comment on actual usage? Will be really helpful.

Note from Support: Please run a spellcheck before posting. Check Announcements on how to quote posts. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2020 at 01:30. Reason: Quote fixed. Typos fixed. Posts merged. See note.
Old 13th April 2020, 00:11   #139
Senior - BHPian

Since the car is going to be primarily used in city, I would suggest an automatic car even if it means an AMT. Besides, your wife would be more at ease driving an automatic. Though Trivandrum isn't as big as a city like a Chennai or Bangalore in terms of traffic, an auto box is a boon anyday. i've driven a fair bit in Trivandrum. My friend recently made an interesting observation that most of the traffic signals in trivandrum are on a slope - either a small uphill or a downhill. I don't know how far it holds good. If that's true all the more reason for an automatic car

Coming to the choice of cars, Kwid AMT is a much better built car than a S presso. It provides decent ingress and egress( your wife was concerned about the low seating of Alto). Within the budget mentioned these are the 3 cars which you can choose from - Kwid, Alto and S presso.

Maruti AMT's had it's own share of problems. You can search associated threads in this forum itself. Another thing to note is AMT shifts are always jerky compared to the conventional automatic gear boxes. In your case it can be ignored as it's going to be a city car for slenderly use.

My suggestion is Kwid AMT. You do a test drive of all the aforesaid cars along with your wife and take the final call. Happy hunting and safe motoring.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th April 2020 at 00:14.
Old 13th April 2020, 07:24   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949
My friend recently made an interesting observation that most of the traffic signals in trivandrum are on a slope

My suggestion is Kwid AMT. You do a test drive of all the aforesaid cars along with your wife and take the final call. Happy hunting and safe motoring.
Thanks for the suggestion. But when I went to check out KWID, I was told the variant with an AC and power steering starts at 5 lac min. But will check it out once more.
that most signals are on a slope down or up. But she is used to it. Hence she likes manual gears.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2020 at 01:28. Reason: Quote fixed. Typos fixed.
Old 13th April 2020, 16:41   #141
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aafaq View Post
A friend wants to buy his first car and has the following requirements
You can check out the Tigor top variant, should be in budget. Petrol mileage is lesser than peers though (approx 10 in city) so look at diesel option if running is high. Also check what Maruti options fall in budget as nothing beats them in reliability.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th April 2020 at 01:12. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:26   #142
S2K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
New Tata dealer in Nashik is good in service as well. I was aware that being a Tata I must be prepared for niggles and I got few. Driver side door couldn’t unlock and windshield water tank caught air! However ASS sorted it promptly.
Can you name the dealership and any specific sales or after sales guy I should look for since I am also looking to buy one in Nashik?
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:02   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K View Post
Can you name the dealership and any specific sales or after sales guy I should look for since I am also looking to buy one in Nashik?
It was Torrent Tata and the SA was Mr. Ashish Verma. Sorry to inform, recently they shut down the dealership and started one for MG. The other Tata dealer is Sterling Motors, about whom I don’t have positive feedback.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:27   #144

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a used budget car (my first). I've zeroed in on a couple of options and one of the tempting ones is a Chevrolet Beat LT Petrol August 2013, with flawless engine (as per cars24) priced at 145000/-. If I go for this the idea would be to use it for a year or so to get used to driving in city and then buy another car. Although if it doesn't give me any problems then keeping for longer is also an option.

My question is given that Chevrolet has left India, are original parts of their vehicles still available? I'm based in Gurgaon so if Chevrolet owners based in Gurgaon/NCR can shed some light on this it'll be immensely helpful!
Old 13th November 2020, 15:59   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu0504 View Post
Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a used budget car (my first). I've zeroed in on a couple of options and one of the tempting ones is a Chevrolet Beat LT Petrol August 2013, with flawless engine (as per cars24) priced at 145000/-. If I go for this the idea would be to use it for a year or so to get used to driving in city and then buy another car. Although if it doesn't give me any problems then keeping for longer is also an option.

My question is given that Chevrolet has left India, are original parts of their vehicles still available? I'm based in Gurgaon so if Chevrolet owners based in Gurgaon/NCR can shed some light on this it'll be immensely helpful!
I would say buy something which has a better resale value, especially if looking to sell it off an year later.
My advice would be a Maruti A-star if looking for a similar car in roughly the same budget as the Beat. It is one of the few Maruti cars which was actually good and can be had for cheap because it wasn't that big a hit by Maruti standards. The Beat might be serviceable in NCR but you can face issues getting it serviced outside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks