Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 15:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
It is becoming a three party war between fiat, maruti, hyundai fans. All the vehicles mentioned are good. It should be well contemplated before making a final decision.

I prefer to go for palio if it s' top model is 30000 rs cheaper than that of competitors. Because you can use that money to buy some ad ons like stanleys etc to give a lift to its so called 'dull' interiors.
And when you sell your palio you sell it a lakh cheaper... so congrats on saving 30 k upfront.
Quite a misguided discussion we are having here. Folks are stating that Swift gives less FE than Palio 1.6.... I dont know if or Fiat lovers can goto the extent of flatly lieing to upsell a deadhorse.

Palio 1.6 was always a great car, but came short on the following factors:
1) Poor interiors
2) Poor FE
3) Horrendous sales support
4) Old exterior
5) Extremely poor resale

These negatives were serious enough to negate the positives
1) Great build quality
2) Fun to drive factor
3) Cheaper to buy initially

These negatives and positives still stand even with new model. The interiors still look from baba azam ke zamane ke, the 1.6 ltr still does not come up on the FE front, resale is still doubtful, and I am yet to see any enthu around TATA Fiat joint venture helping Fiats brand image with Indian customer.

Getz, is perhaps the biggest looser. Its like Dinasaur on Indian roads and you hardly notice them. It was already underpowered and now with the Getz Prime 1.1 gimmick, its not even worth considering.

Fusion, perhaps even worse fate than Getz. Even though it was a great car to drive.

Perhaps this leaves with only one car to consider which can be investment worthy: Swift. Its got lil bit of everything... back that up with good resale, maruti *** and you have one of the MOST successful Indian cars for the last few years.

Lastly if your priority is just Fun to drive factor, you can consider Palio.
If you want power and refinement with budget no bar, than its Fusion.
If you are a Swift hater, than perhaps you could consider Getz.

Else if you want a fail proof investment, a good allrounder, a reliable product with Maruti sales network backing, cheap spares, good resale, moderately fun to drive, above average Fuel consumption... than its a no brainer... SWIFT!!!
Old 11th April 2007, 15:29   #47
Team-BHP Support

Aseem,

I dont want to dig up history here but I remember your love for upselling the Swift by some better means mentioned in this thread and I am forced to quote your findings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
For all you Palio fans, after reading this post it seems like Fiat has the same starting procedure as Indica
In indica as well one has to wait for 10 seconds before some light goes off and than u can start. Wonder what kind of ecu check Indica does, if at all it comes with a ecu in the first place. Thank god I have a Maruti....... Get Set GO!!! In an Alto
So Palio 1.6 Sport and Swift 1.3 0-100 comparison below:
Swift: 1 second start + 11.5 second to 100 kmph
Palio 1.6: 8 second start + 9 second to 100kmph
Total Swift vs Palio: 12.5 Sec vs 17 Sec
No wonder they had to discontinue the Palio 1.6 Sport...
Thread Reference
Old 11th April 2007, 15:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Else if you want a fail proof investment, a good allrounder, a reliable product with Maruti sales network backing, cheap spares, good resale, moderately fun to drive, above average Fuel consumption... than its a no brainer... SWIFT!!!
Sorry, I beg to disagree with you!
Yes, Swift scores on the Maruti A** and maybe Resale.

But, Swift Spares are costly of the lot, even costiler than Palio 1.6 (Check out the Spares Cost Survey done by AutoCar in Oct/Nov'2006), mileage is not so great with owners reporting just 9 - 11 Kmpl in City, same as Palio 1.6.

So it finally depends on the priorites of the buyer, if he prefers a Car with Superior Ride comfort, Build Quality, Handling, Space and just average Service, then PALIO it is!!!
Old 11th April 2007, 15:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Correction: Best 1.3L Petrol engine. And how pray does the OHC 1.3L better it? More power?
Your honor, please don't correct the one who corrects . Then, I was refering to more power of OHC 1.3L only.
Old 11th April 2007, 16:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Your honor, please don't correct the one who corrects . Then, I was refering to more power of OHC 1.3L only.
Eh heh heh. Nitpicking is fun right?

Anyway, the question about the OHC 1.3L was in all seriousness. All I thought it had going was more power. I could not think of any other reason why it should / should not be better than the Suzuki 1.3 (petrols hehe). But there is more to an engine than just power no?
Old 11th April 2007, 16:15   #51
BHPian

I am surprised that we keep thinking of A** ......
Did you know that the outdated Cielo still has spares.......

I have owned a Lancer and an Esteem....I have used FAST cars who are authorized ....but are not the convential service guys... (For people who have been there....they know what I am talking about)

All these service centers...never service your car....they are a replacement factory....

Being a auto-crat....My focus would remain on the car and how I can RYDE it......

My buy on FIAT has come after a long research......What we are attempting here ..is to faciliate the research and not influence it.....

TATA-FIAT are coming in a way that is favorable to FIAT... 4000 crores is not joke......

You want to play it safe and live safe == SWIFT
LOVE life, Dare to enjoy it == PALIO SPORT .....

My 2 cents .....
Old 11th April 2007, 18:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Aseem,

I dont want to dig up history here but I remember your love for upselling the Swift by some better means mentioned in this thread and I am forced to quote your findings:

Thread Reference
It was a joke... but hey thanks for digging up my old threads. I am sure you had fun doing it
Old 11th April 2007, 19:58   #53
BHPian

Palio is on F.I.R.E.

I read it somewhere in here (probably on Page 2) that the new Palio runs on TORQUE. Its still on F.I.R.E.
(Fiat India : Showroom - Palio Stile#)

The F.I.R.E Engine

Under the bonnet of the Palio Stile is the ‘Fully Integrated Robotised Engine’ that assures silent yet staggering power with a higher torque of 92 nm at a low 2750 rpm. You can leave behind any traffic signal in a cloud of dust. And with innovations like the Electronic Returnless Fuel System, an advanced 32-bit Engine Management system and 30% fewer moving parts, Stile promises more fun for less fuel.

Two blazing forms of FIRE drive the Palio Stile - A thrifty 1.1 litre version and a zesty 1.6 litre Sport version.
Old 11th April 2007, 22:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
Two blazing forms of FIRE drive the Palio Stile - A thrifty 1.1 litre version and a zesty 1.6 litre Sport version.
Many people on this forum know much more about Fiat than Fiat India Ltd itself.The 1.6 engine belongs to "Torque" family of engines and not "F.I.R.E". Thats a blatant mistake by Fiat India Ltd.Its such a sorry state of affairs at Fiat.They dont even have proper knowledge about the product they intend to sell.
Old 11th April 2007, 23:04   #55
BANNED

I agree with Finney...
Swift will give 9-10 kpl in city with A/c max 11...
Go for Palio 1.6....
Old 12th April 2007, 10:20   #56
BHPian

Hi folks! Thanks for your opinions. I will be taking test drive of 1.1 with Shaman (1.6 still not available for TD) on Saturday(14/4). One doubt: Has Palio length increased by 60 mm? New Palio is 3827mm where as old was 3767mm. Or this is FIAT goof up?

Again I will decide after I take TD of 1.6. It will be 1.6 sport or Swift ZXi. No Getz.
Old 12th April 2007, 11:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Aseem,

Thread Reference
Maybe we should have a poll on which car is better?

I remember a certain gentleman had started a poll on Baleno Vs other cars some time back probably thinking that Baleno will end up at the bottom. He in for such a shock..that he started disputing the results of a poll that he himself started in the first place !!
Old 12th April 2007, 13:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

We are talkin 1.3L and 1.6L engined cars here, so the power difference is obvious.. And i guess the Swift scores on all other things other than build quality.

And if ur looking at a fast car, the swift aint the fastest in the 1300cc segment and neither is the palio in the 1600cc.

BTW, does the new palio still have the 98pcd rims??
Old 12th April 2007, 13:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
neither is the palio in the 1600cc.
Pardon my ignorance, but which is the fastet in 1600cc segment ? Baleno? I thought Palio was the fastest 1600cc in India. If it isnt, then i wonder whats the fuss about Palio 1.6!

Does anyone have 0-100 timings of 1600cc cars currently sold?
Old 12th April 2007, 13:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Here is a list of 0-100timings of a few cars quoted from ACI

1600cc
Fiat Palio = 11.2sec
Fiat Petra = 11.5sec
Ford Fiesta = 11.4sec
Ford Fusion = 11.7sec
Maruti Suzuki Baleno = 11.1sec

1500cc
Honda City Vtec = 10.6sec
Hyundai Verna CRDi = 11.2sec

1300cc
Maruti Suzuki Esteem = 11.4sec
Maruti Suzuki Swift = 12.2sec

Last edited by karthik247 : 12th April 2007 at 13:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks