Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How has your Cars24 experience been?
Positive 82 23.43%
Neutral 82 23.43%
Negative 186 53.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2016, 15:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I got an email today from cars24.com, with a photo of the new RC Card, showing that the car has been transferred to the new owner.
That's reassuring.

What about Insurance, do these guys also ensure that the Insurance is transferred to the new owner? What assurance did you take to absolve your liability when you sell your car to dealers or such services? Merely signing Form 29, 30 does not mean you are absolved. I am puzzled many a times when owners sell their car to dealers without any assurance on whom the car will be sold to? Till the time the car ownership along with Insurance is transferred, the present owner is still liable to anything that happens to the car - be it caught in an accident or any nefarious activities.

Seems you had a smooth and good experience. Did you send a communication to the RTO about sale of the car till the time the car was not sold?
Old 8th August 2016, 16:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
That's reassuring.

What about Insurance, do these guys also ensure that the Insurance is transferred to the new owner? What assurance did you take to absolve your liability when you sell your car to dealers or such services? Merely signing Form 29, 30 does not mean you are absolved. I am puzzled many a times when owners sell their car to dealers without any assurance on whom the car will be sold to? Till the time the car ownership along with Insurance is transferred, the present owner is still liable to anything that happens to the car - be it caught in an accident or any nefarious activities.

Seems you had a smooth and good experience. Did you send a communication to the RTO about sale of the car till the time the car was not sold?
Insurance: My car's insurance was going to expire about a month after I sold it. I notified the insurance company of the sale via email.

Now, when it comes to the sale process in India, there is a serious gap in the RTO and/or legal process. Police are usually sympathetic to this process gap (anecdotal evidence only).
As per the RTO ownership transfer process, there is no concept of "sale to dealer" at all. The transfer has to be from one owner to another. Which very naturally leads to the question of "what if something goes wrong when the car is in possession of the dealer"?
The dealer and seller only sign a "sale deed" and "delivery note" together. These documents/agreements are not on stamp paper, never notarized or registered.
However, the police take cognizance of these documents on good faith, verify that you had indeed sold the car to the dealer, and then leave you alone.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 16:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
However, the police take cognizance of these documents on good faith, verify that you had indeed sold the car to the dealer, and then leave you alone.
The same cops would go to lengths to implicate you in case the car has run into trouble before the ownership transfer. The good samaritans can turn into evil villains in matters of seconds. It is always better to take a writing from the dealer that he is responsible for anything happening to the car before the next sale. The same has to be sent along with the notice of sale to the RTO. Although this will not absolve one completely but still helps in many a times. Have a lot of horror stories to tell courtesy friends/colleagues who had to face a barrage of accusations from cops.
Old 8th August 2016, 16:34   #49
BHPian

Two months back (on June 1), I sold my 3 yr old swift vxi to Cars24.com (Whitefield, branch, Bangalore). I upgraded to a Honda city.
The price I got was 4.20 lacs, which was pretty decent considering that Honda guys quoted a price of 3.75 lacs (in exchange). Additionally, I also checked sites like OLX and Quikr, where similar models (with almost same running) were quoted 4-4.5 lacs.
The oomph factor of cars24.com is not the pricing but the hassle free process in terms of time taken and documentation work. I just had to produce the NOC, Form-30 or Form-35 (don't remember exactly), car registration card, car insurance, my pan card, my bank account details and that's it. It took less than 2 hrs. to get the job done and the money was in my account.
Ashish0485 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 17:38   #50

Want to share my recent experience of selling my parents car at Cars24. My Dad is 50 plus now and has been driving a 2011 Swift VDi since 5 years now. I wanted him to upgrade to an automatic transmission vehicle at the earliest. I posted an ad on a OLX and got a nice offer from a couple of dealers. When I took my car to them, they quoted almost 50k and 70k less than what I was expecting. Then I checked out cars24. Booked an appointment and took my car the very next day with all the papers. They checked my car out quite thoroughly using OBD scanner and I was impressed with their proffesional approach as well. After the inspection, the quoted me an offer which I was satisfied with mainly because I had the assurity of a business buying my car vs an unknown dealer.
Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and it feels great knowing that companies are now taking a tech oriented approach in for buying cars !
Chogun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 10:57   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
When I said to them that I am selling my car at 3.8Lacs and claimed by voucher, they brushed off saying that I have to actually sell it to a used car dealer and not under exchange.
To be fair to them, they do have a valid point there. The Skoda dealer in your case is making money by selling you a new car. You can't obviously compare any used car dealer's evaluation with exchange bonus schemes. If they would have matched it, then I would say the exchange bonus scheme is a sham.

I have in the past got my cars evaluated by their online evaluation option, more so since they do not ask your personal details other than Email and hence you are not pestered with follow up phone calls. In my experience for both my Innova and Sunny, their quotes were much lower than the average price over the internet, my reference values were from carwale and TBHP evaluator.

Last edited by drmohitg : 19th August 2016 at 10:59.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 11:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Friends, its best that your car be sold to the dealer from whom you are buying a new car. It always fetches a higher price because the dealer is also selling you a car. It worked great for me when I sold my Alto to buy my Safari and when I sold my Safari to buy my Storme. My 7 year old Alto Lx got me a resale price of 1.65 lacs (Mumbai) which was a fantastic price IMO for a well maintained ride. Likewise my 2 year old Safari GX was sold for approximately Rs 8 lacs (including bonus, buyback etc) which is also a high value for a Safari which has a poor resale value.
Just for comparison's sake my Alto was fetching about 80k -85 k outside and the Safari was getting quotes of 5-6 lacs
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 09:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Cars24--False information to viewers?

A relatively new entrant to the used car business, Cars24.com has been creating a lot of buzz online with its ads on buying one's used car in a convenient way.
Anyway, when I was casually checking out what could be the potential resale values for my wife's Brio, I was quoted a resale value that was very low. And to sort of substantiate the resale value the site quoted, there were pictures of Brios being supposedly bought by Cars24 for abysmally low prices. I was very surprised by the prices listed for used Brios ( as low as 1.9 Lakhs ).

I did a further check by keying in the details of my Rapid. Again the quote by the site was way lower and one could see more pictures of other Rapids bought at low prices. The interesting part comes now. They list a picture of a face lifted 2017 Rapid as being bought for 4.7 lakhs! At this point I clearly knew something is not right. They are just populating images of random cars with prices that are lower so as to lead the potential customer to believe that the prices being quoted for their car is at par with the current transactions.

My initial impressions may be wrong, but something is surely not right with the way this site is operating.

Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com-imageuploadedbyteambhp1492313573.181259.jpg
motorworks is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 09:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars24--False information to viewers?

Yes, prices are incorrect & this is bound to happen with these kind of companies.

They know How to Fool the Customers, Purchase at Low Price, Sell at Much Higher Price compared to other Used Car Dealers.

I don't believe the rates offered/shown by these people. They simply are unrealistic. One should ask them if they can buy a car for free going by these rates.

Please be careful with such websites. They'll ask all the details if one is selling. One doesn't want his car to be misused by others.

Just now checked the Price for a 2014 Toyota Innova VX Diesel (Odo - 52405 kms) and the price it showed was 11.65 lakhs which is OK. But refer the image below, the price shown of various cars is way less then the quoted price. Definitely something wrong.

Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com-img_20170416_093000.jpg

Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com-img_20170416_092944.jpg

Seriously, 29k for that Silver Innova ?

Last edited by CarguyNish : 16th April 2017 at 09:32.
CarguyNish is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 09:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

I had sold my car to Cars24, and wrote about the experience here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ars24-com.html

Their business model relies on large numbers of people coming to them to sell their cars. And looking at the kind of advertising they are doing, does not look like that is happening. So they are getting a bit desperate, methinks. Hence this false advertising.

They need to realise that false advertising word of mouth spreads fast, and is ultimately counter-productive. However good the idea might have seemed in a meeting room.
KiloAlpha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 09:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Good that someone has opened a thread. I have come across numerous posts and other online forums where Cars24 & their claims are ridiculed. Good to have an exclusive thread to let the outside world know as well.

But by all means, they are doing business, and they are no better when compared to the existing local dealers. So their claims of best in the market price etc. can safely be assumed to be crap.

I am on the lookout for a used car. Given the low quotes, I even had a remote thought of registering myself as a dealer(cars24 App for business),I would reap the benefits of getting a used car from a seller who is in a hurry to dispose.

EDIT: The pictures of the vehicles and their price appears more like a bug in their software.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 16th April 2017 at 09:44.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 09:50   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had this experience both online and offline. They offered an absurd price when I wanted to sell my WagonR and then justified that it was the best price anyone can offer. They also showed some examples to convince me of the same. I concluded that they are a means of a scrap yard for cars which don't have demand and will take a long time to get sold. In such cases your car gets sold and you get money quickly.

Their system is so huge it requires a lot of margin in every car to run. They have rented good offices, a lot of staff, and IT infrastructure. This is not it, the car then gets auctioned to some other seller who needs to sell the car again. Hence, they offer absurd quotes and then try to convince you that your car wont go for any higher. Innocent sellers then get impressed by their evaluation skills(they do use a paint thickness guage to check for repainted panels). So much that they tried telling me that one panel of my car was repainted whereas the car had never visited any body shop even though it did have a damaged hatch.

They are just making fantastic use of online media and tech to create a clean and trustworthy image of themselves.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 14:20   #58
BANNED

I have seen these tricks being played online as well as offline. I have seen the same thing at Cars24 website multiple times now.
Whenever faced with this, I love to play a little game called swap!!.

When the the dealer tells me that my car is only worth 3 lacs(when I expect at least 5 in the realistic world). I just appear bamboozled and say "In that case, I would like to buy one too Do you have another car like mine for 3 lacs? I would love to get another car like this, mine has been fantastic"
agambhandari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 15:16   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Another negative experience with Cars24, from a non-member close friend who emailed me the following details:

Here is my experience with Cars 24.

I had to take an appointment online , wherein they take all the details of the car and provide a topline number. For my Honda City VX ( End 2014 model Petrol , manual transmission , with Sun roof, 22K kms done ) , they quoted 8.5L to 10Lakhs.

The next day I visited them hoping that within 30 mins they will be able to let me know what my car should be worth. After having reached there , I got to know that they take 30-45 mins to check the car, and then they get the quote from 3rd party vendors , which is something they quote back to the customer.

The parameter checking process indeed took 45 mins and the technician told me that my car was in a very good condition. The price should be good and would come very soon. Which also means that they dont close everything in 30 mins as they claim.

When I did not receive the car till 9 p.m at night ( inspection happened at 5 p.m) , I dropped an email. The next morning they came back with an abysmally low number , which was actually 40% lower than what the market was actually offering.

I promptly checked the secondary market and within 1 week got a good market price and closed the deal.

Cars24 , does not seem to me a credible organisation. Its more gimmick than actual material.

I reckon my story resonates quite well with the other experiences that people have had with Cars24.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 18:11   #60
MCR
BHPian

They are not so good people to deal with. They expect you to meet them at their convenience and then offer you a ridiculously low price and tell you with arrogance that your car is not worth more and nobody would buy it at the price you quote.
I had the same experience while selling my Honda City SV diesel.
Same is the case with other websites like myspinny.com.
The less said the better about Olx. Somebody sent me a note asking me if I was ready to sell the car at 4.5 lakh.
Best way sell a car is through contacts or using word of mouth publicity.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks