Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 16:48   #91
BHPian

Re: Man buys Skoda Rapid Black edition; Vinayak Skoda sells him a fake ed converted from a regular R

As the ordeal unfolds, Skoda appears to be very laid back in their approach, almost as if the whole matter is not their problem. It is to be seen how the court views the case, and what the dealer will present as his defence, he must be biding time to cook up some story. I hope justice is given to the poor customer.
Old 10th October 2017, 23:44   #92
BHPian

Re: Man buys Skoda Rapid Black edition; Vinayak Skoda sells him a fake ed converted from a regular R

Kudos to Suhas for taking it to Consumer court. I think these types of cheating has been happening for quite some time but its only now we are hearing customers coming out strongly trusting the Judiciary. I sincerely feel that there are certain changes we need in our consumer protection laws. I think we need to stand as one and fight for certain issues and consumer protection laws to be changed in our country.

As I have analyzed, the basic problem lies as below
  1. When we are in trouble, we look for the shortest way out.
  2. Court proceedings take ages (Or so we have seen & heard)
  3. In case of huge investments of 8-10 lakhs, we would prefer to lose a lakh or two and pass it off to someone else.
  4. We look for support from owners of similar automobile which some times we get and most of the times we are left to fend for ourselves.
  5. As we have no time, we hire lawyers who sometimes fool around and extract more money increasing our financial burden
  6. Biggest advantage for the automobile company is the time taken for cases to be decided& then we have the escalations like
    1. District Consumer Court,
    2. State Consumer Court & then
    3. The National Consumer Court & it just doesn't end there , there is also
    4.Supreme Court. Companies have lawyers on their rolls who are anyways sitting getting paid & they have enough money to go all the way up. Typically this should take about 15-20 years & by that time the automobile would have been junk also recently there was a news of a consumer getting compensation of 80,000 after 12 years of fight http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/t...1/1026742.html . This literally translates to Rs.18.27 paise per day. That is less that what he would have spent for Bus charge everyday even after owning a car. Can someone tell me how much a 12 year old insurance would be charged to be revived? Well and being in Delhi, 2 or 3 years later, his car would be rendered useless or wow actually according to this article, his car should already be off the road. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/53262500.cms

So this is the reason why we should get together as a team and fight against such irresponsible manufacturers and dealers and stand in numbers if we want to be sure that some day we do not stand in that other person's shoes.

I myself am fighting a case against Kawasaki after investing 8 odd lakhs on a lemon & surviving a crash and saving myself from another 2 crashes, so let's see where things go. For those unaware, I have put in an article in this forum http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...s-dealers.html

But someday I hope people get aware and learn to fight as a team.
bikerzindia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 09:51   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Do you think they've hit rock bottom? Not yet. Thanks to a Team-BHP fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sharing:

Quote:
I've had a similar experience with Mahavir Skoda, wherein I was delivered a lower variant by adding cosmetic bits and accessories to it, rather than a factory kitted variant. Car in question: Skoda Rapid Ambition registered as Skoda Rapid Ambition+.

We maintained that they not only cheated us, but the Govt of AP and Insurance company also by falsifying and forging documents. Criminal charges changed the intensity of the complaint.

As compensation, I was offered:

1. A New Car
2. 4 Years Complete Service & Maintenance (All that I had to do was fill fuel and change tyres). They even took care of the battery, wear & tear and something as trivial as headlight bulbs.
3. 4 Years Zero Depreciation Insurance.
4. Accessories worth 75K.

Can you please suggest Suhas to go this route and not compromise on any of the asks as mentioned above.

Thanks.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th October 2017 at 10:14. Reason: reported
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 11:39   #94
BHPian

I own a Skoda Rapid Style Plus Black Edition Model (DSG+Diesel). So far in 20 months of ownership with 38K kms, it had been a pretty uneventful ownership and I was enjoying thoroughly all my drives. Every time I got in the car it brought a huge smile. Just as I was beginning to think that mine would be one the rare happy stories, reality hit me right in the face like a ton of bricks.

August 29, 2017 was an unfortunate day to many a Mumbaikars. On account of incessant rains, I was one of the unfortunate souls stranded on the road and even more unfortunate to be forced to drive through a section of road with water logging. The water level was close to knee height. With no option I had to tread through the water logged road. The car never stopped while crossing the water patch. After crossing I kept it running for a few minutes got down (anyway the traffic wasn't moving) checked and found everything to be normal and after another 3 - 4 hours of being stuck up finally reached home. Next day didn't take the car out as it was declared holiday. I did however start the car a drove for a few kms just to be sure everything was Ok. Found no problem and parked the car.

The ordeal started the day after. I noticed a strange whirring noise coming from the engine bay after starting the car. This was more prominent at idling speed and almost died down once the car was in motion. It was late Friday night, yet I called my regular service center and narrated the entire incident and requested them to see the car the next day itself. They kept saying that there is lot of back log due to flood affected cars and asked to come sometime next week Tuesday or Wednesday. However knowing the infamous DSG, Mechatronics and other Skoda issues I was getting paranoid, hence i took the car to the service center anyway the next day. In spite of waiting for over an hour, nobody attended me that day and since I had some other engagement I left the service center after giving an earful and taking commitment that my car will attended on Monday.

If the above problems were not enough, I noticed a bulge in the right front Tyre. Guessed it might have hit something while crossing the water logged road and got damaged. Since all four Tyres had completed ~38K, it was just another 10 - 15K Kms life left in them. For the time being I got the front Two Tyres replaced. To further add to my woes, The next day when I try to start my car it refused to crank. I got the car jump-started with the help of nearby mechanic and took the car straight to service center without turning off the engine. This was an Hours drive. Yet once I reached the service center and tried to re-start it just didn't crank again which means the battery is now dead in just 20 months and 38K kms.

With great difficulty I am attended and SA confirms that the noise is coming from the Flywheel. Now whether this is a manufacturing defect or due to driving through the flood is to be ascertained. If former then it will be covered under warranty otherwise I asked them to get it done through Insurance. I also inquired how did the battery die so soon. The SA said that it might be due floods citing reasons as connection may have earthed due to water causing short circuit. I asked them if it is so and it gets confirmed that it was due to floods then battery should also be covered through Insurance. On inquiring about warranty on OEM battery, I am made aware that Some dim-wit in Skoda decided to offer 1 Year warranty for car's invoiced in 2016. Prior to that it was two year warranty and then in 2017 it is again 2 years. I tell them that my car is manufactured in Dec'2015 and registered in Jan'2016.. The SA says "Sorry Sir, for warranty purpose we record Registration date as start of warranty". which I know is correct so don't probe any further.

Sorry, If the above was too long. But it was just the premise, the real ordeal is just about to begin. I keep following up with the SA the whole week and get replies like we are looking into it, opening the gear box etc etc. Then after 5 days on Saturday, when I call up the SA, he confirms that the issue is due to water seepage and has to be taken up through the Insurance company. I visit the service center again to complete insurance formalities and also inquire their diagnosis about how they determined it is not a manufacturing defect and was actually caused by water seepage in floods. I was expecting some pictures of an opened gear box or some other part. To my surprise, all I see is some pictures of the car under body. The SA points out some rusting in some part of the car under body which in turn confirms water seepage in Fly wheel compartment which would have eventually damaged the fly Wheel. They took one week just to lift the car, take some under body pictures and confirm that is due to floods on the basis of some rust marks !! I asked as to how such rusting can occur only in matter of one week, more so when all VW cars come 6 year anti rust warranty !! I decided not to press the matter much further as they were really struggling with so many cars in the service center. As long as I wasn't charged, it didn't matter to me whether the work was done under warranty or through Insurance. Of course the latter meant loosing out the NCB but I was okay with it as then I would also claim Insurance for some minor denting and painting.

After this the long wait now starts. After multiple follow ups and escalating it to higher ups, I finally get the car after three long weeks. The Fly wheel was changed the total bill came around 55K out of which I paid 4K towards processing charges and consumables. I also had to get a new battery as the Insurance company refused to include battery in the claim. Already frustrated by now, I didn't pursue it further. I got an Exide Battery from a local battery shop nearby and gave it to to the SA to fit in my car. So finally after all the ordeal I get my car back on 29 Sep'17. But the happiness was only short lived. after driving for a couple of days, I notice some strange behavior from the gear box. It drops a gear with jerk sometimes - usually this happens in 3rd or 4th Gear. Also sometimes (mostly in 2nd Gear) the car refuses to move any forward. This happens momentarily for a few seconds during which the Gear Indicator shows as 2nd Gear but it feels like the care is free revving in Neutral. Usually this phenomenon happens for 2 - 3 seconds after which gear shifts normally. However on 2 - 3 occasions this has been more than momentary. I have had to stop the engine, remove the key and re-start. So far it has worked. - Just as I am experiencing this issue, came across a similar thread involving Vento TSI+DSG.

Now I had called up the service center on last Saturday i.e. 07'Oct. The receptionist asked to come after Diwali as there are still lot of pending cars and they have no appointments available. I was furious when I heard this. I told her that after keeping my car for over a month you have returned the car with some new set of problems and now you expect me wait another two weeks to even visit your service center. I called up their Senior Customer care executive with whom I have now interacted many times. He asked me get the car on Monday and said he will at least get the car checked. On Monday i.e. 09'Oct I had the car checked by one of their SA's and he confirmed there is some issue. The customer care executive confirmed that it is nothing major and they will do some adaptions by connecting the car to their VAS. This will be done simultaneously with the car being driven for 50 - 60 Kms. Supposedly they will check / modify the gear ratios make / update the software. They have asked me to visit tomorrow and assured that this will be done in a day's time.

Sorry for the long post. Note to Mods : Please move it any other appropriate thread if required. Presently there are a lot of threads regarding VW / Skoda service issues which are live and under hot threads. Seeing so much I wanted vent my frustration as well.

Last edited by MadAbtCars : 11th October 2017 at 11:50. Reason: Grammatical errors
MadAbtCars is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 13:08   #95
Team-BHP Support

The progress that Skoda is making is obvious when you consider this unique evidence. Couple of years back, when you wanted to read about Skoda service stories, you had to Google the words -

Skoda Horror Stories

But now, in 2017, Google uses autocomplete feature to help you - all you need to do is type "SKODA HO" and 'skoda horror stories' shows up as a suggestion.

Vinayak Skoda sells fake Rapid Black edition. EDIT: Replaced with a new car-skoda.jpg

If Skoda doesn't change course, Google will suggest 'Skoda Horror Stories' as soon as you enter the brand name in Google - in the near future.

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th October 2017 at 13:09.
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 14:11   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do you think they've hit rock bottom? Not yet. Thanks to a Team-BHP fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sharing:
This is the same thought that came to my mind. When cheating is involved, the consumer can file a Criminal case and does not just need to stop at Consumer court case. A criminal case is far more stronger when the intent of cheating is very clear. I request guys who know Suhas to please tell him to file a Criminal case against both the dealer & SKODA and then let them be brought on their knees. More and more such actions will deter such malpractices. There is noway SKODA can wash their hands off the issue without addressing the issue.
bikerzindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 17:56   #97
BHPian

It is really appalling to read what Suhas has had to go through. This is a con job conducted by the dealer specifically "Sales Manager and Sales Advisor". A fraud case (which is already in progress now) should be logged against them and the owner of the dealership.

As for Skoda, yes the dealers represents Skoda but Skoda would not have whiff of the malpractice being conducted by the dealer. This is because for Skoda, the dealer sold a Regular Rapid. Invoice for the same was sent to Skoda for documentation. It is evident from the two invoices customer was provided with.

At the same time, I do agree that Skoda should conduct a through investigation on the dealer (If not started till yet) and cancel dealership if found errant. Also, they should do some goodwill gesture for the impacted customers.

I have few questions though which have not been answered till yet -
1. Why is the issue being highlighted after an year (Date of Invoice of vehicle - 18-Oct-16). There is no timeline based information on what happened in last one year.
2. What is Skoda's response on this for last one year?
3. Did customer not question at the time of delivery, how ex-showroom price was varying from the performa invoice? I know he got Debit Notes but if I was told a new ex-showroon price when I was buying a car. I would have raised an alarm there and then

Above questions should be answered to know the complete story. That will help making an informed opinion.

Quote:
Finally, GTO for your post. There was a fraud committed by dealer and Skoda redeemed itself by offering the compensation mentioned. That is max, Skoda can do in the case explained. Crooks are everywhere in this country and in a country like our every next person is trying to fleece in some way or the other. What is important is creating awareness of such issues and brands taking action against erring dealers and restoring customer satisfaction.
Old 11th October 2017, 17:57   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This service center technician deserves an award for honesty:
These folks are scarily honest or want us to believe that. The Mahavir, Hyderabad sales guy who came with the rapid for a test drive a few weeks back openly told me that the dealer's brother in law was in charge of the service side of operations and he made close to 3crore by cheating customers with fake or inflated prices until he was caught a few months back. He narrated this story for more than half of my drive. He took the owner's, their children names etc openly. I was stunned. But I found the story hard to believe because the dealership is owned by a community which is known for its business acumen. They don't let a rupee go, leave alone 3 cr. So, I wouldn't be surprised if skoda, the dealer and everyone were in on this and wouldn't be surprised even if skoda gave such instructions to move cars.

Then he went onto to say that their service is better than Maruti now. One more stunning revelation he made was how we buyers are brain stormed by ads of Hyundai to believe that the CRDI engines are quieter than rapid's TDIs. But in reality they are lot noisier. I drive a CRDI and am not deaf but didn't feel the need to educate him.
krishnakarthik1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 18:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
These folks are scarily honest or want us to believe that. The Mahavir, Hyderabad sales guy who came with the rapid for a test drive a few weeks back openly told me that the dealer's brother in law was in charge of the service side of operations and he made close to 3crore by cheating customers with fake or inflated prices until he was caught a few months back. He narrated this story for more than half of my drive. He took the owner's, their children names etc openly. I was stunned. But I found the story hard to believe because the dealership is owned by a community which is known for its business acumen. They don't let a rupee go, leave alone 3 cr. So, I wouldn't be surprised if skoda, the dealer and everyone were in on this and wouldn't be surprised even if skoda gave such instructions to move cars.

Then he went onto to say that their service is better than Maruti now. One more stunning revelation he made was how we buyers are brain stormed by ads of Hyundai to believe that the CRDI engines are quieter than rapid's TDIs. But in reality they are lot noisier. I drive a CRDI and am not deaf but didn't feel the need to educate him.
Is that sales person "Prasad" by any chance?
A few months back I did a test drive of Rapid DSG and he didn't even about the black edition and suggested me to paint the rims black from outside garage.

He was adamant that Skoda never had a rapid black edition and all the exisiting ones are modded by owners by repainting the rims.

On constant pestering from him to book the car, I shared all team bhp thread links of Skoda horror stories and some specific to Mahavir motors in particular. Even though I was keen on Rapid DSG, I ended up with a Vento TSI thanks to these Skoda horror stories.

In the hindsight, I thought it was a joke when the sales person spoke about getting the wheels painted in black to make it a black edition. Looking at this thread, I'm wondering if they ever did that and sold as Black edition.
sriharsha_m87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 19:01   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Vinayak Skoda and Mahavir Skoda owners are actually relatives. Suhas Manjunath was initially promised a Black Edition from Mahavir Skoda in AP and was informed that since both owners are related he wouldn't have any problem. However, the plan was later canceled by Vinayak Skoda citing their own expenses in getting the 'BLACK' edition car transported to Bengaluru.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 19:56   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 View Post
Is that sales person "Prasad" by any chance?
Not sure Harsha. I just didn't like the experience and didn't even bother to post here. But there very well could have been cases where the showroom folks might have created their own black edition. Maybe this guy didn't know because he wasn't still given proper manipulative training. And Vinodh mentions Vinayak and Mahavir are relatives so we never know what is being and could be done due to no proper competition.

But this is a clear case for the need for very stringent lemon laws. Or buyers should just stick to the Japanese or Koreans.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:29   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
As for Skoda, yes the dealers represents Skoda but Skoda would not have whiff of the malpractice being conducted by the dealer.
Hardly matters. If it would have been that simple then the CEOs of the companies would not have been made to resign for the follies of people deep down in the hierarchy or for that matter politicians would not have resigned for the abject failures or disasters of their portfolio. Or to look at it in a different way, if this country is really filled with crooks and thieves as you said then how come we do not see a similarly high frequency of subterfuge from the dealers of so many other manufacturers? What is so special about Skoda and its dealers?

The tort laws (along with what in law is defined as your agent and your liabilities thereof) are very clear in this regard. In fact I will go a little further than what most people here seem to suggest. This thing of suing Skoda and its dealerships on every occasion has happened far too many times now. It is time someone does some research and puts together all such instances of Skoda and its agents' wrong-doings. Its a classic case where I strongly feel Skoda can be taken to the cleaners for being habitual cheats and liars who along with their agents' frequently get involved in these kinds of cases. May be a class action lawsuit should be brought against them for using unscrupulous practices on an ongoing basis against their bonafide customers. Evidences speak for themselves. There are a host of car manufacturers that manufacture and sell in India. How many of them have these many or even half of these many cases against them?

Quote:
I have few questions though which have not been answered till yet -
1. Why is the issue being highlighted after an year (Date of Invoice of vehicle - 18-Oct-16). There is no timeline based information on what happened in last one year.
If you read through the post the owner very clearly mentioned that he discovered the deception much later and that too accidentally.

Quote:
Finally, GTO for your post. There was a fraud committed by dealer and Skoda redeemed itself by offering the compensation mentioned. That is max, Skoda can do in the case explained. Crooks are everywhere in this country and in a country like our every next person is trying to fleece in some way or the other.
SKoda redeemed itself? By offering compensation? Puhleeeez... You can't go on deceiving people en masse (this thread itself has 2 or 3 exactly similar cases logged) and offer some piddly compensation every time you are caught. And how did you decide that is the max Skoda can do in this case? Just because crooks are everywhere in this country hence people should accept that it should be good in Skoda's case as well? Let Skoda come forward and first acknowledge in public that they are a common crook much like so many that roam this country and hence be treated the same.

Last edited by Zappo : 12th October 2017 at 13:48.
Zappo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 14:32   #103
BHPian

Some dealers also do a few other malpractices like issuing just the cover note, taking the insurance money from the customer & not paying it to the company & then handing over the vehicle to the customer. As I know there was one such issue, this came to light when the customer had an accident and the insurance company said that the policy was never taken. Finally the dealer had to from his pocket pay for the repairs, get a new insurance policy for the customer & the customer was satisfied. If I was the customer, I would have crucified the dealer legally but most of them just let go & carry on with life as though nothing happened.

I am wondering, how many such cases would have gone unnoticed? I agree there was a carelessness on the part of the customer too but how many of us are aware that such scams are being done by dealers?

Since I have first hand information, I would like to name the dealer, it was Khivraj Motors & the case was with respect to insurance of a Kawasaki Versys 650.

I request everyone to do not just a proper PDI but also a thorough check and recheck & verification of all documents online.

I request the moderators to please move this to appropriate thread or feel free to delete it if this is not the right place.
Old 12th October 2017, 14:37   #104
BHPian

Suhas used his contacts in the media and brought the fraud practice from Vinaya Skoda on news9. Attaching the youtube link for the same below,

Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 20:32   #105
BHPian

Any update on the situation? This really got my blood boiling. Hope the person behind this scam is held accountable and punished.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks