Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 505 86.03%
No 82 13.97%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2019, 06:40   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
The final Invoice amount was Rs.4280. Out of this labour is Rs.1925
If you be strict with the SA, then the bill still is reasonable in spite of doing all the required replacements.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:42   #767
BHPian

This is not an issue with Maruti service but I need some advice.

So my FIL owns a Ritz Vdi which is 4 years old. Around a month ago the power loss issues began - while driving there is a sudden loss of power and car engine shuts down. So we called the Maruti service center and the guys came and tried to fix it. They could not diagnose or quick fix so they towed the car to the service center.

Two days later they got back saying that they have fixed the issue and gave back the car. A couple of days later again the issue resurfaced. This time the service guys got back saying that the fuel pump needs replacement. So that was done and the car was given back.

Now last week the same issue came back. Again they towed the car back to the service center. Now they are saying that the fuel injectors need repair or replacement. Cost of replacing one injector is quoted as 15000/-

The car issue is that there is sudden power loss while driving and after that the car starts but after driving for approx. 1km, it shuts down. This keeps on repeating.

Now I am in a fix. Should I give in to replacing the injectors or should I get a second opinion from a FNG guy that I know ? I have a feeling that the RCA has not been done and they are proceeding with trial and error method. Any advice is highly appreciated.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:56   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Now they are saying that the fuel injectors need repair or replacement. Cost of replacing one injector is quoted as 15000/-
Now I am in a fix. Should I give in to replacing the injectors or should I get a second opinion from a FNG guy that I know ? I have a feeling that the RCA has not been done and they are proceeding with trial and error method. Any advice is highly appreciated.
Whenever the cost is high it is always wise to have a second opinion. If the service centre was competent they would have diagnosed the issue on the first attempt only. I would say avoid them further and show it to another competent service centre or another FNG. 15k for a Maruti is simply . Maruti OE spares are also widely available. Buy from a trusted shop if needed.

Idling issue could be dirty throttle body, clogged fuel filter, bad fuel, clogged injectors. etc. Kindly name the service centre so people are aware of their competency on the forum.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd September 2019 at 13:58.
Old 10th September 2019, 18:09   #769
BHPian

I recently gave my Estilo (New model K-series engine) to MASS for repair under insurance.

The service Centre person dealing with insurance matters, was very convinced that the required painting and denting job will be easily sanctioned by insurance approver. Total estimate was around Rs 16,000. On day 3, I received call from service Centre that insurance company has rejected the claim proposal and hence the repair work needs to be done from my pocket.

I didn't accept and went to collect the car. To my surprise, they handed over the bill of Rs 2,000 plus GST. On enquiry, I was informed that 10% of total estimated repair cost (Rs 1,600) will be charged if I don't do repair from my pocket, since insurance claim was not sanctioned. No one had informed me that I need to pay 10% of estimated repair cost if insurance company does not approve the claim proposal. Additionally Rs 400 for parking charges for 2 days. I refused to pay entire amount and talked with a senior executive known to me. On his recommendation, all the charges were waived off, with great difficulty. Then the service Centre started insisting that I have to do at least part of repair and pay for it. I refused.

I want to know if this is routine practice? I have never heard or read such charges anywhere before.

Last edited by ampere : 10th September 2019 at 18:27. Reason: Formatted for readability
Nayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 18:35   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
On day 3, I received call from service Centre that insurance company has rejected the claim proposal and hence the repair work needs to be done from my pocket.
- Claim form needs to be filled with all your details (Owner)
- Original of the RC, Licence and Insurance (and a Photocopy)
- Signature on the claim form by the owner

With all this, the insurance surveyor associated with the service provider will first assess your vehicle in the as-is condition and then provide his consent and ask the ASC to start the work - This is the "Formal Approval" only after which actual work on your car can start.

I am amazed how the ASC could easily fool you by saying that the claim will pass through. Please go and ask them all this and say how did they even start work without following the above process and how on earth they expected the insurer to approve/reject a claim without you providing any of the documents and filling the claim form!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 05:54   #771
Team-BHP Support

Service Invoice for 30 K on New- Ertiga. Labour charges look very high to me or is it a norm. Rs 3500 for general service and Rs 750 for brake pin lubrication!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-11.jpeg  

Old 12th September 2019, 10:07   #772
BHPian

The charges are indeed on a higher side. Why would they charge for diagnosis? Normally one sachet of screen wash is sufficient at a time. The service centers have now become habitual of adding unnecessary labour charges as this is where they make most of their money.

I wonder even if Inter-cooler requires cleaning at 30k. Cleaning an AC filter would have been more than enough unless and until some problem was reported.

I am not very technical. My Ciaz which gets serviced at Maruti Service Masters, Okhla. I have never ever seen such charges added to its bill.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:17   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Service Invoice for 30 K on New- Ertiga. Labour charges look very high to me or is it a norm. Rs 3500 for general service and Rs 750 for brake pin lubrication!
3500 service charge seem quite high but things like intercooler cleaning, brake pin something could have been avoided. These would have bought the bill down to 7500. Not cheap but not too costly either. My friend recently got his Grand i10 serviced at 10,000KM , he was charged 15K . No wonder the bill had, engine coating, brake cleaning, anti bacterial treatment what not!
Old 12th September 2019, 10:29   #774
BHPian

Labour cost is very high in MASS. Something i realized and have started avoiding them.For what they charge in labor cost, in the same amount i can rather put better quality oil and change filters more frequently.
For e.g maruti charges some 1700 odd rupees for MGDO oil which i find is a semi synthetic oil and just about ok, nothing great. Most of the time motul 8100 is available at 2200 odd rupees and i buy that.
I also buy the oil filter and air filter from MGP and give it to FNG for replacement. FNG charges me 250 for oil change. So for the 3500 that i pay to maruti as paid service charges i can give my car better oil and more frequent replacement of air filter etc.
Every-time i have serviced my car at MASS the labour cost and charges is what pinches me the most.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:00   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bill for sure is heavy and there is absolutely no doubt about that.

But few months before there was this post by Dr. Naren where he had shared a circular to ASCs by Maruti on what should be included as part of Periodic Maintenance Service (PMS) and how one should not be charged extra for things like Brake Cleaning, EGR cleaning, Intercooler cleaning etc.

You can refer to this post of his as quoted below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I have seen many dealers charge extra for brake cleaning, brake pads replacement labour. Maruti has clearly instructed dealers not to charge extra and these are included under PMS charges. If any dealer charges extra for brake cleaning, just complain to Maruti
Coming to the PMS charges itself which is 3500 is to ensure that all these activities that are charged extra are included within this. I remember PMS chargers for 20K/40K/60K....hovered around 2700 here in Bangalore.

20K Service includes Intercooler cleaning while 30K Service must include EGR cleaning as well - The cleaning intervals are as per PMS details of my Ertiga which is 2013 Model. Don't know if this should change for the new one.

Petroleum Jelly, Distilled Water, Caliper Grease being charged is the way Maruti ASCs have been generating revenues till now and these days!!

Caliper Greasing charges of 975 (Is it that??) is extremely high. Honestly, with the pneumatic guns that takes less than 2 minutes to remove wheel on both sides in front, the real labor for greasing the calipers should not be more than 200. But as I said before, even this should be part of PMS.

It is now high time that Maruti clearly lists out all the activities as part of PMS so owners are clear that what comes as package when they are charged under the heading PMS.

If I have to look at your bill, You have paid 250 (Diagnostics), Intercooler Cleaning (1450), Caliper Greasing (975) more for this service and I am wondering how the ASC charged you just for Balancing alone and not for alignment ?

Lastly, what is that Generator belt charged 350/-? Is this to do with SHVS or the alternator belt?
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:40   #776
BHPian

Quote:
PMS charges are extremely high. Which city is this? PMS charges in Jaipur are exactly half of what you have been charged. Yours is coming up to 4k including taxes!

Also what is PMS 2D, as stated in your labour charges. Is it some special servicing and because of that is it this high?

Caliper pin greasing is definitely part of paid service labour and Diagnostic charges are also a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am wondering how the ASC charged you just for Balancing alone and not for alignment ?
Wheel Alignment is given Free of Cost as mentioned in the recommendation/remarks section of the bill. Small mercy!
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:44   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
PMS charges are extremely high. Which city is this? PMS charges in Jaipur are exactly half of what you have been charged. Yours is coming up to 4k including taxes!
Revised PMS charges are certainly high as I know. If 3500 includes cleaning of EGR and Intercooler and Caliper Greasing and brake cleaning, I won't mind paying this. But if I am charged extra after this, I will certainly crib. But I am certainly sure that PMS charges have now increased since last 6 months across all the cities and of course they would also differ based on the category of cities too.

Quote:
Wheel Alignment is given Free of Cost as mentioned in the recommendation/remarks section of the bill. Small mercy!
Ah, I didn't notice that. May be they realised they don't have to fiddle with Toe in and Out adjustment and the man didn't have to go underneath the car so they didn't charge!!

Reminds me to add that I have the 180,000 Km Service due within the next 3-4 days and I am visiting the ASC for the same (previous services were either DIY or at FNG). I will surely know what I am charged for the PMS here in Bangalore.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th September 2019 at 18:46.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 18:11   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
- Claim form needs to be filled with all your details (Owner)
- Original of the RC, Licence and Insurance (and a Photocopy)
- Signature on the claim form by the owner
I think you have misunderstood. I was not sure if the insurance claim will be sanctioned, since the damage (denting and painting job) was old. But the service centre person handling the insurance matters was himself sure that the insurance company will sanction the claim and he told me the same. But nowhere I have mentioned that he fooled me by saying that claim will pass through. Whenever I (and for that sake, any vehicle owner) file for motor insurance claim, we all know that it may or may not get sanctioned or may get sanctioned partially. So in above mentioned case, I kept my fingers crossed till the insurance company gave its negative reply. Also I have not mentioned anywhere in my post, that the service center started work on my vehicle without informing me.

Actually what happened that when the insurance claim was not approved, I informed them not to start any repair work and went to service center to get my car back. That time I was handed over a bill of around Rs 2,000 (10% of the total claim (Rs 16,000) + 400 parking charges for 2 days + GST). And I was asked to pay above bill just for filing the claim which was not sanctioned. It was a kind of "penalty or fine" since insurance claim was not sanctioned and I did not allow them to do any repair work.

So my doubt here is, Is this practice normal? If the vehicle insurance claim gets rejected and we decide not to do any repairs, are we supposed to pay 10% of the total claim amount? OR this is just another way of MASS to get money from customers?

Also when I protested and refused to pay above charges, service center told me to do repair work in their service center at my own expenses. So what they meant that either pay the 10% charges of claim and take the vehicle as it is (without any repair work done) OR carry out repair work by paying out of my pocket.

Finally I contacted a senior person in MASS. On his instructions, my entire bill was waived off.

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2019 at 19:19. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Nayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 18:42   #779
BHPian

Kindly see the attached Service bill for Maruti RITZ VDI purchased in Feb 2012. They were telling it is a major service for 8th year and charged a whopping 11,010. I told check light was coming on for which they replied that glow plug might be problem and need to be replaced. I can understand spares/consumables, but labour? Glow plug 500 rs but labour for that is 345 rs!
Labour for front stabilizer bar is 1786 rs!
Have I been ripped off?
Pl go through the attached bill and offer your comments
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-maruti_bill_7jan20r1.jpg  

Old 7th January 2020, 19:05   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Pl go through the attached bill and offer your comments
Don't worry, I was charged nearly the same 2 years back in Kochi for a 2011 Ritz VDI ABS. After that stopped going to the service center, going to an FNG instead. And I have no regrets. Last 2 years, I have only spent under 10k for maintenance, and the car still runs the same. Maruti service has become more expensive than VW nowadays.

OEM Glow Plugs are available for 250each. Had replaced all 4 for Rs.1200.

Ps. Its better you hide the mobile number, name and other details in the bill

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 7th January 2020 at 19:09.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks