Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 13:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Experience with Tata Motors Ltd Dealers and Service Centers.

We own Tata Indigo XL Grand Dicor, purchased on 03-05-2007 from 'Sterling Motors, Solapur'. It has crossed 63000+kms. The car since new is giving series of problems.
1. In June 2007, the car met with an accident (A dog came in front of car and got killed), which cost about Rs.35000/-. (Odometer reading 8,500kms.)
2. Again after 15 days, the coolant was leaking. So we showed to Sterling Motors (SM) from whom we purhcased. They replaced the Water Pump under warranty. (Odometer reading 9,740kms.)
3. In August 2007, the car stalled in middle of road while driving. I tried to start the car but in vain. There was a bus stop ahead of our car. A person on bus stop said that the Diesel is leaking from under the car. (Thank God that we were in our Home City and not on a Highway when the car stalled.) Then I called the Manager (Mr. Nitin Patil) of 'SM' and told him about the incident. He sent the Road Assistance car for inspection with some necessary parts. The mechanic checked and said that the Main Fuel Line (it is made of Metal) which supplies fuel to the Engine has developed a crack. The fuel leaked from there and hence the Engine was not starting. The mechanic went back to bring that metal pipe from SM as he did not bring it before. He then replaced it. I was charged Rs.300/- against the Road Assistance provided. The pipe was replaced under warranty. (Dont remember the Odometer Reading).
4. In February 2008, the car refused to start even if car was unlocked with Remote (Indigo XL comes with Factory-Fitted Engine Immobiliser). We tried unlocking the car with Remote 7-8 times but in vain. The 'LOCK' indicator on instrument panel was blinking continuously despite unlocking with Remote. The indicator was not turning OFF. It was night time and my Dad was at his friend's house which is 2-3 kms from our house. We parked and locked the car there safely and returned home. On next morning, a mechanic from Chavan Motors, Solapur (Tata Authorised Service Center) came and inspected the car. He interchanged the 60A fuse (not with a new one) but the 60A fuse present adjacent to it and tried to start the car. And what a surprise, the car started without any fuss. We brought the car to home. After 2 hours, again the car refused to unlock with Remote. Again the 'LOCK' indicator on instrument panel was refusing to go off. Again I interchanged the 60A fuse with its adjacent one. But still no sign to unlock. Again I interchanged both the 60A fuses and this time the car was unlocked with remote and the car started.
We told SM (sterling Motors) about this. They inspected the car but could not find any problem.
In March 2008, Mr. Nitin Patil (Sterling Motors) called me and said that the above problem of Remote Locking was detected in couple of other Indigo XLs also. So he told me to leave the car at their workshop and they will replace the Complete Remote Unlocking Kit with a New One. So I gave our car. They replaced the Complete Remote Unlocking Kit, the Timing Belt and the Pressure Plate (Both Timing Belt and Pressure Plate got wet with Engine Oil).All the three were replaced under warranty. (Odomter Reading 34,780kms.)

Were the parts really replaced or not God and Sterling Motors, Solapur knows because the Clutch Pedal was still hard (and on complaining this issue, the Works Manager told me to replace the Clutch Plates as well but at Customer's Cost) and the central locking also behaves abnormally.
If suppose we removed the key from ignition switch for about minimum 1-2 minutes and then if we insert the key in ignition switch and try to start the car, the "Armed Mode" Indicator flashes on the Instrument Cluster. Again We have to unlock the car via remote. I agree that this is for Security Purpose and the Engine Immobiliser prevents Starting of Engine.
But the real story is ahead. After we unlock the car via Remote (after removing and reinserting the key in ignition key), the Hazard Lights are flashed for 5 times. i.e the ECU takes 5 seconds to match the code of Remote and Engine Immobiliser. This is really Irritating. Why does the ECU have to take 5 seconds to match the code?
If the car is locked via Remote and then unlocked via Remote, the car takes less than 1 second to match the code.

to be contd in next posts...

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 5th August 2010 at 13:55. Reason: Wanted to add some text.
Old 5th August 2010, 13:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Problems in Indigo Continue.

5. Again in April 2008, the Auxillary Coolant Tank starting leaking and had to be replaced under warranty. (Odometer Reading 38,150kms.)
6. Indigo Xl's Grand Variant comes with Electric Seats.
In May 2008, the Front Passenger Seat refused to move 'To and Fro' (only back rest and height adjustment were able to be adjusted). Again I got it (Electric Adjustment Switch) replaced under warranty. (Odometer Reading 41,593kms.)
7. Again in May 2008, the starter refused to start the car. After showing to SM, they repaired the starter under warranty. (Odometer Reading 42,758kms.)
8. In September 2008, the AC Belt was replaced under Warranty. (odometer Reading 53,950kms.)
9. Again in October 2008, the car suffered from Coolant Leakage and also the Temperature Guage showed that the Engine overheated, then the Engine shut off because of Overheating. This time Auxillary Coolant Tank was replaced under warranty. (Odometer Reading 57430kms.)
10. In November 2008, again the Coolant Leakage Problem arosed. And this time the Temperature Guage on instrument panel showed that the car was overheating. The car This time SM replaced the Thermostat stating that the coolant was coming out of the Auxillary Tank's cap because of Back Pressure. But still the Coolant Leakage was present.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

On 24th November, when I asked the Service Manager,Mr. Nitin Patil at Sterling Motors, Solapur (Our Dealer) about why the coolant is coming out of the Auxillary Tank's cap with pressure, he said "The Head Gasket will have to be replaced with a new one. Also, after opening Head Block, the Injectors will also have to be replaced with new ones. The cost of replacing Head Gasket will be more than Rs.10,000/- plus the cost of injectors. The injectors of Common Rail Engine are VERY Expensive as compared to normal TDI Engine injectors."
That means the cost will go in the range of Rs.15,000-20,000/- plus. I asked him I am ready to face that much cost if he can give me assurity that the coolant will not come out of Auxillary Tank's cap after replacing the Head Gasket (and Injectors). But he told me that he can not give assurity of the work carried out. Then I asked if he cannot give me assurity, then why should I expend Rs.15000-20000/-plus.
My relative (he lives in USA) had come for some official work to India. He told me if Head Gasket is gone (if Head Gasket is faulty), the car will suffer from poor Pickup and poor Fuel Efficiency (Loss of Fuel Efficiency of about 20-30%). But our car does not face either of above problems (poor pickup or poor fuel efficiency). The Pickup is as it was when New and Fuel Efficiency also is good.
The coolant comes out only after the temperature has reached the HALF Mark and the car is driven at speeds of 90-100kmph (5th Gear).i.e., Suppose the engine is Cool. Start driving the car and after sometime the Engine Temperature start rising and come to the HALF Mark. Now after coming to Half Mark, if the car is driven at speeds of 90-100kmph (5th Gear), the coolant comes out of Auxillary Tank's cap.
If the car is driven at speeds <=80kmph Even After Engine Temperature reaching Half Mark, the coolant does not come out. Then why only for 90-100kmph, the coolant comes out.

On 25th November, I and my relative noticed that the Radiator Fan was not working and also the Heater was not blowing Hot Air (when I turned the AC Temperature Knob to RED Zone). I checked the Radiator Fuse (60A, for Radiator Fan not working) under bonnet, but it was OK and not blown.
So on 26th, I went to a local garage to show the above problems of Radiator and Heater. But after travelling 7-8 kms distance to the garage in morning (10:15am), the Engine Temperature did not rise even to small extent. I told him to check that also. He checked the Temperature Sensor and told me to replace it. I replaced it. Then the Temperature Gauge showed Temperature of Engine.
As for Heater problem, he opened the Centre Console (not complete dashboard) and showed me that the cable connected to the AC Temperature Knob was jammed. He freed it. Then Hot Air started coming when the Knob was turned to RED Zone and Cool Air when the Knob was turned to BLUE Zone.
For Radiator Fan not working, he checked the Radiator Fuse (60A) but it was OK. Then he checked Relay Unit Fuse (5A) under bonnet. That also was OK. Then he told me to take the car to TASS as the car was having Sensors, it can be checked on Laptop only (using software).
Then I went to our Dealer to check why the fan was not working.
On the way after driving for 3-4 kms, the Engine Temperature Gauge started falling down slowly. It came down from HALF Mark (50%) to 25% while the car was moving (AND THAT TOO WITH RADIATOR FAN OFF). Again after 3-4 kms it came to 50%.
The mechanic at our Dealer checked and said the Relay Unit Fuse (5A)was blown (this fuse was OK at the local garage). After replacing the fuse the Radiator Fan started working.
How come the fuse gets blown within time period of half an hour?
Old 5th August 2010, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

I took our Tata Indigo XL car which I mentioned in this thread to another Service Outlet Chavan Motors in our city which is TASS on Wednesday 17-12-08 and told the supervisor about the coolant coming out of the Aux. Tank when the car is driven at speeds of greater than 90-100kmph after the engine has attained the operating temperature (Half Mark as per Temp. Gauge). He came with me on a test drive to check the problem.
After driving 2-3 kms, the temp. gauge reached Half Mark.
Then while driving it at speeds in excess of 90-100kmph, the temp gauge started falling down due to the Cold Wind flowing from front end which cooled the radiator. The Gauge reached to the 30-35% point.
Then we took back the car at the TASS workshop. There we raised the engine at 3000-3500rpm in Neutral. After 2-3 mins., the coolant started spilling out of Auxillary Tank's cap. Then we came to know that the Radiator Fan was not working when the engine temp rised above Half Mark. Then he told a mechanic to see why the Fan was not working. The mechanic checked all the fuses in front of me but all were Ok. Then he removed the Air Filter and behind it there was a Sensor which activates the Radiator Fan when the Engine Temp. rises above Half Mark. The Sensor was Faulty hence the Radiator Fan was not working. The supervisor told me that he will order the Sensor from Tata Motors, Pune. and it will come by Monday.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why is it pouring complaints on Tata or is it only me noticing such things?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-service.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ge-safari.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rship-goa.html

And now this one?

@Indigo - I guess you need to stop visiting your usual T.A.S.S. Find out who's a competent mechanic in your locality & start taking it to them. Or may be you need to check out independent players such as MyTVS or Carnation (here in Chennai, but not sure at Solapur) as they will have instruments to check your car.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tatas are known for their highly economical, spacious & unreliable cars. why the hell do they make such good cars when they cant run properly?

@ Aargee: do some more browsing on this forum & you will find many more such examples.

@ indigoXLgrandDi: (thats a huge name, how do you type it everytime to log in?!!)

you may have got a lemon or maybe this is the norm with indigos. Tata cars may give lots of issues but as far as i have heard, their A.S.S is really improving & i have heard tata's customer care is really good. so why dont you try contacting them?
Old 5th August 2010, 15:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

@aargee...
As already specified by raj, you will find such examples around every corner of a city.

@raj..
No problem in typing such a huge name.
As for Tata Customer Care, it is as Hopeless and Unprofessional as their Dealers and Service Centers. I have contacted them many a time through emails but the Regional Customer Support Manager (Mumbai) is either in Deep Sleep or on a Long Holiday (to stay away from such Complaints of Customers).

Lets move further.

The problem of Coolant spilling out of Auxillary Tank's Cap was solved. The reason of Overheating and the coolant spilling was that "Radiator Fan was not working when the Temperature Gauge tried to cross the Half Mark.
The Radiator Fan Sensor which activates the Radiator Fan when the Temperature of the Engine tries to increase above Half Mark was replaced. The Fan used to get activated when the Engine Temperature tried to cross half mark.
I did not have to replace the Head Gasket but only a Radiator Fan Sensor which cost me Rs.232/- only.

Again on 06-0-2009, when I checked the level of Coolant in Auxiliary Tank,the level was way below "Min" Mark.
When I observed carefully, there were Coolant Leakage Marks on the body of Auxilary Tank Near CAP. Again the Coolant had come out of the Auxilary Tank's Cap and the level dropped.
I told driver to top it up. 1.5 liters water was poured to bring the level to "Max" Mark.
Then I took the car to another TASS (not the previous one)Chavan Motors (My trusted Tata Authorised Service Center) and told them the problem. The Works Manager, Mr. Pratap Vidhate (My Friend), advised me to get the Coolant VALVE removed and drive the car for 8-10 days and see whether the level falls or not. If it does not fall, I can use the car without the Coolant VALVE "WITHOUT ANY DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE".

Also I talked to Assistant Customer Support Manager, TATA Motors Ltd. Pune and he also advised me to use the car by removing the Valve.

So I got the Coolant Valve removed and used for 8-10 days.

The Coolant was not getting mixed in the oil. Also no white steam/smoke was evident from the tailpipe so the chance of head gasket getting blown was negligible.
Old 5th August 2010, 18:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for improper date in above post. The date should be 06-02-2009 instead of 06-0 -09.

Again on 19-02-09 same thing happened.
On highway, at speeds of around 70-80kph the temp gauge started falling down and reached "C" within just 2-3kms. distance.
How is that a car's engine cools down from Half Mark to "C" Mark that too within 2-3 kms?

On 16th March morning, I took the car to Chavan Motors Pvt Ltd., Solapur (TASC).
The CRM (Customer Relation Manager), Mr. Kishor Bidri told the mechanic to replace the Radiator and Thermostat Valve, both with NEW ONES.
After replacing them, we filled water and drove on highway for around 15-16 kms. (obviously at speeds in excess of 90-100kph since the temp gauge falls to C after driving at these speeds). Mr. Bidri drove the car and I sat on the Co-Driver Seat.
And what a surprise, the temp gauge remained at Half Mark.. It did not fall to "C" like before.
Then we came back and allowed the car to cool down.

The day ends so I left the car at the workshop.Period.

On 17th March 2010,
I came at 10:10am to the TASC.
Then we cleaned the OLD Radiator by water pressure.
Then removed the New Radiator and fitted the OLD one back but did not remove the New Thermostat fitted to the car and test drove the car for 10-15 kms. This time also Mr. Bidri drove the car and I sat on Co-Driver's Seat.

Again what a surprise, the temp gauge still was on Half Mark and refused to come down to "C" (unlike before replacing the Radiator and Thermostat ).

Then to find whether Really it is the Thermostat which was culprit, we cooled down the car and removed the New Thermostat and fitted back OLD one. Again we test drove the car. But this time I drove it and Mr. Bidri asked the supervisor Mr. Sunil to go out with me and check whether the gauge falls down to "C" or not (he was not able to come due to some people came to meet him).

But this time the guage fell down to "C". And we did not try to drive the car at speeds of 90-100kph this time since falling of the temp gauge indicates that the Radiator fan would not turn On and the coolant spillage would definitely occur if driven continuously at high speeds.

So we replaced back the Thermostat with new one.

The car was fitted with OLD Radiator and New Thermostat.
Old 5th August 2010, 18:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Nitin Patil, Works Manager, Sterling Motors, Solapur (our Dealer) told me it is Head Gasket Problem without even checking the Thermostat Valve or other things. He just wanted to take money out of us. He is one of the Dealers/ASCs who rob the Innocient People by telling Fairy Tales just like he told us.

One more problem was present from a long time ago.
The car used to give jerks between 1500 and 1750rpm (as indicated by Tachometer) in all five gears.
If the car was kept between 1500 and 1750 rpm (the needle should be between 1500-1750 rpm notch and the Accelerator Pedal should be constant), the car gave jerks to and fro such that the complete car is moving to and fro (Any Expert sitting besides me would think "Is this person mad? His Driving is as of Beginner"). All the Occupants of the car moved to and fro if the rpm is kept between 1500-1750.
I showed it to Sterling Motors but they were not able to understand the problem. The only answer Mr. Nitin Patil gives is that "This is because you intentionally pressing and releasing accelerator pedal to create such jerks".

The jerks are felt only between that notch (1500-1750rpm) and not in any other notch.
I was unable to understand even if I don't vary the Accelerator position and keep the car between 1500 and 1750 rpm notch, why the car gives jerks?
It does not happen in any other rpm notch (except 1500-1750) even if acceleration is kept constant.

I don't think its fuel adulteration problem. If it was so, the jerks should have been felt in other rpm notch also.

The jerks are not felt if the rpm is kept between 1000-1250 or 1250-1500 or 1750-2000 or any other rpm notch above 2000 rpm. Its Only between 1500-1750 rpm.

I think the Turbocharger gets activated at 1800rpm (XL has VGT). Was it because of Turbocharger?
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

After fitting New Thermostat the Coolant stopped spilling out.
Also when I talked with Mr. R. Sugaleelar, Asst. Customer Support Manager, he waived off the charges of Replacement of Thermostat Valve (Rs.650/-). i.e., I got the Thermostat Valve replaced for Free after 4 months of Expiration of the the Warranty.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have had a FIP overhaul and a clutch change for things that could have been solved by cheaper alternatives. TASC's just want to flog the highest value services/part replacements :|
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Then in February 2010, my Dad took the car to Mumbai (Solapur-Mumbai distance 400kms). When he reached Mumbai, again the Coolant spilled out of Auxiliary Tank and the car stalled due to excess Loss of Coolant.
My dad told his friend Mr. Santosh Kadam who lives in Kalyan to take the car to TASC and carry out the necessary repairs.
My uncle took the car at Best Auto Repairs & Services Pvt Ltd, Kalyan.
The Service Advisor Mr. Sunil Sharma called me and asked me the problems. I told him the following problems--
1) Coolant Spillage,
2) Clutch Plate Assembly Replacement,
He told that he will check the problems and will call me.
After 3-4 days he called and said "We have checked the car and the Head Gasket needs to be replaced. For this we have to remove the Injectors first and while doing this, the injector(s) may break. We will try our level best to remove the injectors without breaking. But in case If the injectors get broken, you will have to replace the injectors as well".
I agreed on this since I thought only one injector might get broken.

But after 2-3 days, he called me and said "3 Injectors were broken. And you will have to pay for the New Injectors as agreed by you".

The Copy of Bill is attached below--
My Experience with Tata Motors Ltd Dealers and Service Centers.-billpage1.jpg
My Experience with Tata Motors Ltd Dealers and Service Centers.-billpage2.jpg

There are many Rubber Hose Parts which are replaced. Also when I asked why was the Cylinder Head replaced? He replied "Since the Head had developed warpage, we had to replace the Cylinder Head as well".

Also he did not return me any of the parts replaced.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Gosh! Whats the point in buying a Tata if the bills amount to almost lakhs?
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:33   #14
BHPian

Hello IndigoXLGrandDi, every Tata service station has at least one person trained on resolving repeating issues or cars with lots of complaints. I was told this person is specially trained by Tata motors to diagnose problems.

If you are facing such problems you should demand that this specially trained person should take a look at the car. Once the problems are solved insist that someone from Tata motors inspects the car and certifies the repairs. During all this, insist on getting a loner car so that your daily activities are not hampered.

I had front left power window problem which kept on repeating for 2.5 years. I had enough of it and followed the route mentioned above and the problem is solved completely.

All this was in Pune. Check if this is feasible at your location.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:53   #15
Joy
BHPian

This is turning out to be a true horror stories.

Well my friend, I think you have got a lemon. But TASS should be more professional than this. I fail to understand, how can a recurring problem be diagnosed differently by different service centres. Does not the TATA people have any standard diagnostic procedure?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks