Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 19:39   #4156
Senior - BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 468 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Would suggest that you mail RS directly in this case..
I haven't contacted PB at all, I have been interacting with RS and they have been very disappointing. Somehow they don't seem interested in resolving this at all.
dass is offline  
Old 23rd September 2018, 19:36   #4157
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 597
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Hey Guys,
My license got suspended for 3 months for overspeeding.
But I have been issued a letter that says that I can drive for 90 days with that letter.

I wanted to know if the insurance companies will honor my claim in case I am needed to make one during these 3 months?

Also, I am not yet sure that what does this suspension actually mean? And what impact does it have? Prima facie it seems that my license has been replaced with a document.
ank.nsit is offline  
Old 23rd September 2018, 23:07   #4158
BHPian
 
shijanto4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 102
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Guys,
My license got suspended for 3 months for overspeeding.
But I have been issued a letter that says that I can drive for 90 days with that letter.

I wanted to know if the insurance companies will honor my claim in case I am needed to make one during these 3 months?

Also, I am not yet sure that what does this suspension actually mean? And what impact does it have? Prima facie it seems that my license has been replaced with a document.
Sorry to hear about your license. Here in Bengaluru, a friend's license was suspended for 3 months in July 2018. From what we found out, insurance policy doesn't cover any kind of claims during license suspension period (in case of a claim during this period, when DL copy is submitted, they would get the info regarding suspension from RTO).

Also, strange that a letter is issued allowing you to drive after suspension, because my friend didn't get any letter of this kind, and in fact, he was strictly cautioned against driving on any main/arterial roads for 3 months. As for the impact, suspension of DL gets recorded in RTO database and any subsequent suspensions will lead to impounding of DL. In addition, unfortunately, if any accident occurs during DL suspension period, one would be legally prosecuted as "driving without a valid license" (not sure if rules are the same up in your place, since you say you have been given a letter allowing to drive). Hope this info helps.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 06:58   #4159
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 597
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
...

Also, strange that a letter is issued allowing you to drive after suspension, because my friend didn't get any letter of this kind, and in fact, he was strictly cautioned against driving on any main/arterial roads for 3 months...
Thanks for your prompt reply. What was the reason for your friend's DL suspension? Mine was suspended for overspeeding.
It seems that different rules apply for different offences.
Also I have a Haryana license and the license is at Delhi station. I doubt if delhi authorities would inform Haryana RTO about the same.

For any insurance claims, can't I submit my father's DL claiming him to be driving?
ank.nsit is offline  
Old 24th September 2018, 07:41   #4160
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 2,189
Thanked: 3,824 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

For any insurance claims, can't I submit my father's DL claiming him to be driving?
If he is registered as an alternate driver for your vehicle when you issued the insurance. Default assumption for all claims is you are the driver when the accident happened. Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw this would be outright fraud territory; there's a reason why your DL has been suspended; irrespective of the subjective alternatives that are provided (in this case the letter). I would advise to play it safe.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 24th September 2018 at 07:44.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 09:16   #4161
BHPian
 
shijanto4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 102
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply. What was the reason for your friend's DL suspension? Mine was suspended for overspeeding.
It seems that different rules apply for different offences.
Also I have a Haryana license and the license is at Delhi station. I doubt if delhi authorities would inform Haryana RTO about the same.

For any insurance claims, can't I submit my father's DL claiming him to be driving?
My friend's DL was suspended for driving in wrong direction on a one-way for the second time (first time, it seems only a penalty was applied).

Yes, I too believe communication between interstate RTOs may not happen, but still, as ninjatalli has mentioned, it could still be an offence if you are caught driving only with that letter (what if the cops who stop you wouldn't accept that letter). After all, a suspension literally means your DL isn't valid and the letter you have in hand won't be considered a legal alternative to DL.

Regarding claiming your father as driving in case of a claim, your insurance company may insist that he had to be listed as an alternate driver in your car's insurance policy. However, I do know a case where the insurance company, i.e., ICICI Lombard, accepted a claim when a colleague of mine said her father was driving the car, and he truly was (copy of his DL as well as her DL had to be attached along with a police report describing the accident). So, please do verify this with your insurance company as same conditions may not be applicable to all. Thanks.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 24th September 2018 at 09:23.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 09:22   #4162
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 597
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If he is registered as an alternate driver for your vehicle when you issued the insurance. Default assumption for all claims is you are the driver when the accident happened. Others can correct me if I'm wrong.
I just talked to my friend and he says that he and his brother have submitted their own DL while the car is registered in their father's name. This was not done with any ill intention but dependent on the person who took the car to the service station for repairs.

Quote:
Btw this would be outright fraud territory; there's a reason why your DL has been suspended; irrespective of the subjective alternatives that are provided (in this case the letter). I would advise to play it safe.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
...

Yes, I too believe communication between interstate RTOs may not happen, but still, as ninjatalli has mentioned, it could still be an offence if you are caught driving only with that letter (what if the cops who stop you wouldn't accept that letter). After all, a suspension literally means your DL isn't valid and the letter you have in hand won't be considered a legal alternative to DL.

...
The cops clearly mentioned that this is the letter as per Supreme Court directive and is valid all over India.

I am still not sure of the reason for providing me the alternative in the first place? I am attaching this letter and would request the members to help me make sense of it.

The letter states "initiating the proceedings for suspension"? Does this mean that the license will be suspended after the 90 days? But then why would the cops ask me to collect the DL from the police station after 90 days?

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-img_20180924_091418.jpg

Last edited by ank.nsit : 24th September 2018 at 09:27.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 15:43   #4163
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 5,288
Thanked: 6,586 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

My Corolla Altis will complete 7 years next week. Till now it had a zero depreciation policy. As per my knowledge zero dep cover was offered only till 7 years. But on Coverfox IFFKO TOKIO seems to be offering zero depreciation cover even now for the 8th year, ofcourse at a higher cost. Is this correct? Will they honour a claim, if at all made under zero depreciation and not throw some excuse citing age of the vehicle? Please advise.
drmohitg is offline  
Old 25th September 2018, 09:32   #4164
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,610
Thanked: 5,137 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I had my Tucson's insurance changed from third party to comprehensive with this year's renewal.
I went with digit from policybazaar, and it was quite straightforward even with a policy that had lapsed 10 days prior. They asked for a video inspection to be uploaded by me on the policybazaar app. It cleared in 3 days, and the policy was issued. No headaches of coordinating with a surveyor who would come and study the car.
I have been suffering with a bad windshield for the last year only because of the third party policy that my agent had forced on me saying t is not possible to get comprehensive coverage on a 12 year old car. I checked with windshield experts, and they have a cashless arrangement with digit too, so all well.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 11:58   #4165
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,099
Thanked: 3,257 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

My friend got a 2005 Octavia 1.9D. Now when he is looking for insurance options, he is getting quotes of 20-25k with IDV of 3L-5.5L. I feel this is on the higher side and the ideal quote should be around 10K for a 13 year old car and IDV around 3L. Am I missing out anything?
ashis89 is offline  
Old 25th September 2018, 21:48   #4166
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 5,288
Thanked: 6,586 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My Corolla Altis will complete 7 years next week. Till now it had a zero depreciation policy. As per my knowledge zero dep cover was offered only till 7 years. But on Coverfox IFFKO TOKIO seems to be offering zero depreciation cover even now for the 8th year, ofcourse at a higher cost. Is this correct? Will they honour a claim, if at all made under zero depreciation and not throw some excuse citing age of the vehicle? Please advise.
In response to my own query, I have found out that IFFKO-TOKIO now offers 0 depreciation policies till 10 years of age of the vehicle. I thought earlier it was offered only till 7 years at the maximum. Not sure if other companies too are doing so, although it didn't reflect during my search. In the crazy traffic these days, it is really advisable to have 0 depreciation coverage till as long as one can.
drmohitg is offline  
Old 25th September 2018, 21:59   #4167
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 6,014
Thanked: 14,094 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
My friend got a 2005 Octavia 1.9D. Now when he is looking for insurance options, he is getting quotes of 20-25k with IDV of 3L-5.5L.
Man, that is incredibly high! I hope the car wasn't mistaken for the current gen pre-facelift Octavia! Did he check the online options for quotes? E.g. policybazaar, coverfox etc.

On a different note, my car's due for the insurance renewal for the 5th year. 50% NCB! I've been on United India Insurance's coverage for the last 2 years and as much as I'd prefer it this year as well (cheap, no-frills, nationalised unit), incidents like these are pretty scary!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th September 2018 at 22:05.
Gannu_1 is offline  
Old 25th September 2018, 22:06   #4168
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,298
Thanked: 8,162 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
In response to my own query, I have found out that IFFKO-TOKIO now offers 0 depreciation policies till 10 years of age of the vehicle.
Yep; I got 0-dep during renewal once our City completed 7 years. Some other vendors give it too. But there's a caveat, you should have had 0-dep in the policy that is about to lapse.
libranof1987 is offline  
Old 25th September 2018, 22:17   #4169
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,099
Thanked: 3,257 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Man, that is incredibly high! I hope the car wasn't mistaken for the current gen pre-facelift Octavia! Did he check the online options for quotes? E.g. policybazaar, coverfox etc.

On a different note, my car's due for the insurance renewal for the 5th year. 50% NCB! I've been on United India Insurance's coverage for the last 2 years and as much as I'd prefer it this year as well (cheap, no-frills, nationalised unit), incidents like these are pretty scary!
Even if it was mistaken for the new gen Octavia, the IDV is still low for such high quotes. I did a quick search on Policy Bazaar and the lowest quote for comprehensive insurance was 13.7k from Digit. I feel itís still pretty high for such an old car. Am I wrong here?
ashis89 is offline  
Old 26th September 2018, 07:50   #4170
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,431
Thanked: 2,822 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Will they honour a claim, if at all made under zero depreciation and not throw some excuse citing age of the vehicle? Please advise.
If zero dep add on in mentioned on the Insurance policy then it will be definitely honored. Just as a check, enquire with the Toyota workshop where you service the car if there were any issued with Iffco claim processing for older cars. If none, they you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
In the crazy traffic these days, it is really advisable to have 0 depreciation coverage till as long as one can.
Unfortunately IRDA has no control over the add on packs offered by the Insurance co. Zero dep add on is additional income to the Insurance co plus if the existing customer has no history of claims in the previous few years of ownership they are regarded as low risk, hence the offer.

Offering zero dep add on for cars more than 5 yrs is actually making the Indian customer disregard about safe driving.
ghodlur is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks