Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 18:12   #4876
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomthumb View Post
usage based insurance
I'm a low mileage guy, this sounds like a good idea. Is it based on estimated or actual mileage? How do they monitor that?
Old 19th October 2020, 23:31   #4877

Telmatics using an obd device and app , also for connected cars the data already present !
Tomthumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:10   #4878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If your main worry is the car being stolen then higher IDV should be your priority although this is a false notion that higher IDV translates to higher payout. Remember it is you who is making that choice and not the Insurance co. If your car has an anti theft protection & still expect the car to get stolen, then this option will be best for you.

If you need min hole in your pocket during claims , then zero dep add on cover along with comprehensive insurance should be your priority. But this will depend a lot on your previous claims history and your style of driving. This option will result in lower IDV. Secondly you also need to check if Iffco Tokio has a cashless facility with the workshop where you would service/repair the car. Just check their claims process too.

Expecting a double whammy of car getting stolen and/or future claims possibility would be too much of an imagination. Taken an informed decision.
I have a Hyundai Tucson. How do I determine if my car has an ARAI approved anti-theft device?

I for sure didn't install anything extra, but I'm wondering if my car came bundled with it. I need to know bcoz PolicyBazaar is offering a small discount on auto insurance if my car is fitted with it, and I sure would like to avail it if I'm eligible (https://www.policybazaar.com/motor-i...car-insurance/)
Old 21st October 2020, 08:15   #4879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I have a Hyundai Tucson. How do I determine if my car has an ARAI approved anti-theft device?
Best way is to check with Hyundai workshop or marketing/sales team. If the key is a computerized one and inserting a similar key doesnt start the engine then you can be sure that the car does have an anti theft device installed. But better to get the information from Hyundai.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:11   #4880
Sen
BHPian

Which of the below companies would you personally choose? They're pushing Raheja QBE hard and reviews seem good.

Anyone had any experiences with the below providers? For reference, I'm buying a Vento TSI Highline Plus (heavily discounted!) and the dealer says these are my options. Top priority is ease of claims if any arise, and best cashless coverage:

Bharti AXA general insurance company limited
Liberty general insurance company limited
Raheja QBE general insurance company limited (they kept pushing this provider)
Icici Lombard general insurance company limited
Future generali insurance company limited
Old 22nd October 2020, 00:07   #4881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I for sure didn't install anything extra, but I'm wondering if my car came bundled with it.
So, I am almost sure that Hyundai Tucson and most of the cars in that range (and even a segment or two lower) today come with an engine immobilizer pre-installed meaning any other key not having the same code as the two keys handed over to you cannot start the engine. However, in my view, this small discount is not worth it as quite a few BHPians in this thread and others have reported that in case of any claims, the insurers have been asking for some proofs from the car manufacturer side on the validity of ARAI certified anti-theft device. Something akin to Form 22 or similar from the Manufacturer side which claims that so and so device installed by design in the car is ARAI certified.

Found the link:
https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/find-a...ucson/features

Check under safety.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 22nd October 2020 at 00:09. Reason: Added a link
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:02   #4882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
Bharti AXA general insurance company limited
Liberty general insurance company limited
Raheja QBE general insurance company limited (they kept pushing this provider)
Icici Lombard general insurance company limited
Future generali insurance company limited
Check with VW workshop with which of the above cos do they have a cashless tie up. Do a quote comparison and take an informed decision.

My personal suggestion:
Future
Bharati Axa.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:06   #4883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check with VW workshop with which of the above cos do they have a cashless tie up. Do a quote comparison and take an informed decision.

My personal suggestion:
Future
Bharati Axa.
Also remember, if the sales guy is pushing a particular insurance policy it means that is what nets him the most commission, it doesn't mean it is the best policy for you. Tell him to get lost and buy your own insurance.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:31   #4884
Sen
BHPian

Quote:

My personal suggestion:
Future
Bharati Axa.
All insurances mentioned above have tie-up with VW garages is what the financial advisor said. I agree with your assessment. Was also considering Acko on the side..will do some digging and quote-comparing for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Also remember, if the sales guy is pushing a particular insurance policy it means that is what nets him the most commission, it doesn't mean it is the best policy for you. Tell him to get lost and buy your own insurance.
Yep! The problem is curiously so many insurance providers don't have my exact car variant listed on their website yet (this what you wanted with your bajillion editions, VW?) and I have to either write to them or use an aggregator to get a quote.

I just got the manual TSI Highline Plus Vento added to coverfox's website as well. Looking at my options.

Thanks.
Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 09:38   #4885
Distinguished - BHPian

I am moving out of the country and wouldn't be using my car much for the next one year or so. (Except when I may come on leave in between for two weeks or so). Is there an option to suspend insurance renewal for the period?

Or any other options or suggestions for way ahead please?
Old 31st October 2020, 17:32   #4886

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I am moving out of the country and wouldn't be using my car much for the next one year or so. (Except when I may come on leave in between for two weeks or so). Is there an option to suspend insurance renewal for the period?

Or any other options or suggestions for way ahead please?

ICICI has usage based insurance which has 1000,3000 ,5000 slab rate so that you can take lowest based on your driving that will help you reduce your premium
Tomthumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 14:55   #4887

Thanks team BHP. The FAQ's addresses all aspects of car insurance. Very informative. I was looking for details on total loss and there was an explicit question that addressed this.

Is this 75% the general accepted norm or could individual companies have a different approach to this? I am being currently told by my insurance company that if the cost of repair is above 65% of IDV they would be considering it a total loss?

Regards
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:00   #4888
BHPian

I am in the process of selling off a two-wheeler and have a query. Is it possible to cancel the existing insurance ( Bajaj Allianz) so that new owner can directly buy a new one for himself? The whole insurance transfer process looks tedious and futile, and with the current Covid scenarios I would like to avoid it since it’s not that big an amount.

Alternatively, can I ask the new owner to buy insurance from another company (bajaj won’t re-insure the same vehicle obviously) while I let mine expire naturally? Does this method carry some kind of risk for both the parties? Common understanding tells me that as long as I am not trying to make any claim, it should not bother anyone. But is it legal?
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:36   #4889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
Yep! The problem is curiously so many insurance providers don't have my exact car variant listed on their website yet (this what you wanted with your bajillion editions, VW?) and I have to either write to them or use an aggregator to get a quote.
Walk into the nearest office of your preferred insurer or call their call center (less ideal, the call centres are staffed with very unaware people) and get a quote the old fashioned way.

If you pick one of the PSU insurers (new india, oriental etc) you'll get highly experienced insurance professionals in the offices, rather than the average slickly dressed convent english speaking front office type you end up with in the various private insurers.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:40   #4890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChidSrini75 View Post
Is this 75% the general accepted norm or could individual companies have a different approach to this? I am being currently told by my insurance company that if the cost of repair is above 65% of IDV they would be considering it a total loss?
Regards
I think companies can tweak the rules a bit in this regard. While there could be a standard followed by many. The analogy I like to use is with regard to Gratuity. Norm is that once an employee quits a company post 5 years of service, it is payable. But, a lot of companies pay Gratuity even when the employee may leave post completing 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
I am in the process of selling off a two-wheeler and have a query. Is it possible to cancel the existing insurance ( Bajaj Allianz) so that new owner can directly buy a new one for himself? The whole insurance transfer process looks tedious and futile, and with the current Covid scenarios I would like to avoid it since it’s not that big an amount.
You can cancel something called the Own Damage part of the insurance immediately. You will also get an NCB reserving letter post that. The Third-party part of the insurance cannot be cancelled without proof of coverage by another insurer. This can be done online/ over email too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Alternatively, can I ask the new owner to buy insurance from another company (bajaj won’t re-insure the same vehicle obviously) while I let mine expire naturally? Does this method carry some kind of risk for both the parties? Common understanding tells me that as long as I am not trying to make any claim, it should not bother anyone. But is it legal?
Yes, he can do that post the transfer of Registration in his/ her name. Bajaj will also re-issue the insurance post the transfer of Registration in the new owner's name has taken place. He/ She is free to get his vehicle insured from any provider. By doing this, your part of the insurance stands cancelled and ideally, they should send a cheque back for the pro-rate amounts.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks