Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 12:36   #5521
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

The insurance for my Kia Sonet is due next month, It came with the 1-year OD + 3-year TP policy from Reliance General, bought by way of the dealership (Incheon Kia) itself. Now I have to renew the OD policy, the dealership garage has a cashless facility with only a handful of insurers. So I have to opt among them, to get the cashless facility from the dealership, whether or not I buy it through them or by myself.

Now, my question is If I buy the OD policy from a different insurer, say TATA AIG, and the TP is with Reliance, in case of an accident with another car on my part, I will need both OD and TP, so Will the compulsory deductible have to be paid twice, for the OD and TP policies, will the case be the same even if both OD and TP are from the same insurer.

Please guide me on the matter.
Thanks.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 12:45   #5522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Now, my question is If I buy the OD policy from a different insurer, say TATA AIG, and the TP is with Reliance, in case of an accident with another car on my part, I will need both OD and TP, so Will the compulsory deductible have to be paid twice, for the OD and TP policies, will the case be the same even if both OD and TP are from the same insurer.
The compulsory deductible will be applicable only once and twice even if the OD and TPL Insurers are different. In case of only TPL claim then also the deductible is only once. Its once per claim.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 13:03   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The compulsory deductible will be applicable only once and twice even if the OD and TPL Insurers are different. In case of only TPL claim then also the deductible is only once. Its once per claim
So In case of an accident involving both OD and TP, I will have to pay for both, compulsory deductible for the OD Claim and for the TP claim right, as they will be considered as separate claims.

So had this been a Comprehensive OD + TP policy, in all cases, the compulsory deductible would have been paid only once.

So, isn't getting a Comprehensive OD + TP Policy better from the 3rd year, instead of separate OD and TP policies? Sorry, I have only taken comprehensive OD + TP bundled policies for all my cars and had never taken them separately, hence the doubt.

Last edited by bijims : 28th September 2023 at 13:06.
Old 28th September 2023, 13:09   #5524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So In case of an accident involving both OD and TP, I will have to pay for both, compulsory deductible for the OD Claim and for the TP claim right, as they will be considered as separate claims.

So had this been a Comprehensive OD + TP policy, in all cases, the compulsory deductible would have been paid only once.

So, isn't getting a Comprehensive OD + TP Policy better from the 3rd year, instead of seperate OD and TP policies
Yes, in case of any claim involving both OD and TPL, the OD Insurer generally takes care of the entire claim and compulsory deductible will be once. I am not too sure if the OD Insurer connect with the TPL Insurer (if separate) or asks the customer to raise another claim with TPL Insurer.

Its always better getting a 3 yrs OD + TPL policy, its the costs which deters almost all of the vehicle owners to stick to 1 yr OD and 3 yr TPL policies.
Old 29th September 2023, 09:45   #5525
Oxy
BHPian

Just looking for opinions, as I think I don't have a good grasp on insurance renewals.

I own a first gen Baleno Alpha CVT. The car will complete 6 years on 12th October, at which time my current insurance will also expire. I have a zero dep policy with Godigit for the last two years (with unlimited claims and key protect riders) and last year I paid 12.5k for the policy.

Surprisingly, many providers are now offering me zero dep coverage, which I believed I won't be getting considering the age of the car. I am wondering if it would make sense to pick up all other available riders, like engine cover, tyre cover etc. while I am getting those. Also, is unlimited claims has a worthwhile benefit or shall I get the standard two claims policy?

I am being offered an all inclusive policy will all possible riders at 20k from Tata AIG (no unlimited claims though).
Old 29th September 2023, 10:05   #5526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am wondering if it would make sense to pick up all other available riders, like engine cover, tyre cover etc. while I am getting those. Also, is unlimited claims has a worthwhile benefit or shall I get the standard two claims policy?
If you really need those add ons apart from the zero dep you should opt for them, suggest to read the T&Cs before buying them.

Unlimited claims is any time better than a limited claim zero dep add on.
Old 29th September 2023, 10:20   #5527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Just looking for opinions, as I think I don't have a good grasp on insurance renewals.

I own a first gen Baleno Alpha CVT. The car will complete 6 years on 12th October, at which time my current insurance will also expire. I have a zero dep policy with Godigit for the last two years (with unlimited claims and key protect riders) and last year I paid 12.5k for the policy.

Surprisingly, many providers are now offering me zero dep coverage, which I believed I won't be getting considering the age of the car. I am wondering if it would make sense to pick up all other available riders, like engine cover, tyre cover etc. while I am getting those. Also, is unlimited claims has a worthwhile benefit or shall I get the standard two claims policy?

I am being offered an all inclusive policy will all possible riders at 20k from Tata AIG (no unlimited claims though).
It is advisable to continue with zero dep as long as long as available. Also engine/gearbox protect cover is highly recommended. Other covers like consumable, key protect, tyre protect etc are up to you (always good to get).

Regarding unlimited vs limited claims allowed, what has been your claim history? Are you someone claiming a lot or going with FnG to save NCB? Depending on that you can decide. Again, good to have unlimited claim option but usually one doesn't end up claiming more than 1-2 times in the year. You should go with the company which has better claim processing and has tie up with your choice of garages.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 29th September 2023 at 10:25.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 16:21   #5528
BHPian

Hey guys need some advice. I have PA of 15 lakhs as addon on the insurance policy of one car. Do I need to take one more PA for my second car or the PA of the 1st car will suffice for multiple cars.
Old 7th October 2023, 19:02   #5529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Hey guys need some advice. I have PA of 15 lakhs as addon on the insurance policy of one car. Do I need to take one more PA for my second car or the PA of the 1st car will suffice for multiple cars.
AFAIK, Only one PA is required.
Old 7th October 2023, 21:59   #5530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
AFAIK, Only one PA is required.
Isn't PA cover tied to the person + that particular car?
Old 7th October 2023, 22:11   #5531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Isn't PA cover tied to the person + that particular car?
PA cover is for the person (insurance against death due to accident) and not confined to a particular car. Even the PA cover as a part of any other policy (not vehicle related) is also applicable. That's why there is option to mention that you already have PA cover and don't need another one. One PA cover is all that is needed on a person.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 7th October 2023 at 22:14.
Old 10th October 2023, 12:19   #5532
Team-BHP Support

Is it equally easy or tough to get a no claim bonus certificate from all insurers?

My S-Cross' insurance is due in another 15 days, and since the car will complete 9 years in the next cycle, I *might* sell it. I will transfer the NCB to my next car, and hence want to renew insurance with a company that has a seamless process for giving the NoC or whatever paperwork is needed, even if the new car insurance is not with them.
Old 10th October 2023, 12:28   #5533
BHPian

Quote:
The compulsory deductible will be applicable only once and twice even if the OD and TPL Insurers are different. In case of only TPL claim then also the deductible is only once. Its once per claim.
Sir, I received three quotes from my dealership (from the only 3 insurance companies with which they have a cashless garage tie-up) for all other insurers I can't get cashless claims from the Kia dealership garage. They say that they have purposefully done this so that you opt for insurance from their end every time, or else I would have to go non-cashless and claim reimbursement, with Kia being just 4 years in the market, their dealership in central Kerala has done this to ensure they get more renewals. Moreover, if I take quotes from these insurers on my own, they somehow seem to be higher than the ones provided by the dealership.

So without an option (afraid of the hassles of non-cashless claim settlement) I had to opt from their side, or from these three insurers, they being Reliance General, ICICI Lombard, and New India, while the coverage, IDV, and add-ons from all the three are exactly the same, New India offers a significantly lower premium. Is there anything to worry about, are the premiums of the other two on expected lines or are they inflated? Please guide me on the same, moreover is the IDV as per the requirement of depreciation applicable:

The details of the quotes are attached below:

This is the lowest quote from New India, they only disclosed this quote when I enquired why their quotes are so high as compared to online and other insurers, and when they knew I found out they have a cashless tie-up with New India. It comes to just Rs.17080
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-new-india_page0001.jpg

This is the quote from ICICI Lombard It comes to Rs.23321
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-icici_page0001.jpg

This is the quote from Reliance General, my TP cover is with them too. It comes to Rs.26769
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-reliance_page0001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is it equally easy or tough to get a no claim bonus certificate from all insurers?

My S-Cross' insurance is due in another 15 days, and since the car will complete 9 years in the next cycle, I *might* sell it. I will transfer the NCB to my next car, and hence want to renew insurance with a company that has a seamless process for giving the NoC or whatever paperwork is needed, even if the new car insurance is not with them.
I had a couple of instances, wherein I transferred my NCB, one for mine, and the other for my brothers' car, In one case, the insurance was taken online and I asked the aggregator for the same, they asked me to show the sale deed or proof of transfer of ownership, I sent them the documents and they processed the certificate instantly and sent the same by email, and the original arrived at my registered address in a week's time. This was from SBI General.

In the other case, the policy was taken from the dealership itself, a similar procedure but I emailed their insurance team, and they physically handed the NCB Retention letter to me. This was from New India Assurance.

So, I guess it ain't a hard task.

The post above was a situation in which I transferred my NCB (I had 35% NCB on my previous car)

Last edited by Sheel : 10th October 2023 at 12:48. Reason: As requested.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 13:52   #5534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

I will transfer the NCB to my next car, and hence want to renew insurance with a company that has a seamless process for giving the NoC or whatever paperwork is needed, even if the new car insurance is not with them.
Unfortunately there isn't any textbook Insurer who will go by a set of rules. Plus you will get the NCB certificate post the sharing of ownership transfer and this is generally followed by majority of the Insurance cos with a few exceptions who do help the customers. If your existing car insurance and new car insurance buy out is from the same Insurance co, the process of documentation generally becomes a bit easier.

Quote:
This is the lowest quote from New India, they only disclosed this quote when I enquired why their quotes are so high as compared to online and other insurers, and when they knew I found out they have a cashless tie-up with New India. It comes to just Rs.17080
You have fallen for the classic arm twisting tactics by the dealer. No Dealer can force the Insurance to the customer on the pretext of biased service. Since you have already decided to buy from the dealer go for the lowest quote since in case of any claim it will be the dealer who will complete the formalities for you.
Old 10th October 2023, 17:09   #5535
BHPian

Quote:
You have fallen for the classic arm twisting tactics by the dealer. No Dealer can force the Insurance to the customer on the pretext of biased service. Since you have already decided to buy from the dealer go for the lowest quote since in case of any claim it will be the dealer who will complete the formalities for you.
I have not committed to any quote yet and still have a couple of quotes from Tata AIG (they quoted the lowest) and have attached the same below:

This one even has an NCB Protection cover
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-tata-aig-quote-2.jpg

This one doesn't have NCB Protection
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-tata-aig-quote-3.jpg

Moreover, I am not in favour of this and am not thrilled with this practice either, earlier for my Renault car, the dealership persuaded me to get insurance through them, but with the Renault dealership garage having a cashless facility with every major insurance company, I got quotes 35% cheaper online and have never opted for the dealership quotes.

Now, here, I feel the situation is different and the dealership has made it difficult to opt for other plans because of their cashless garage linkup with only 3 insurers. Moreover, as far as I know, most customers couldn't care less and would opt for the quotes first provided by the dealership which were in any way exorbitant. They are making good amounts in commission because of this.

The fact of the matter is I had enquired about the status of cashless garages of Kia in Thrissur and found out only three insurers have the Kia dealership garage with cashless facilities, if I go with Tata AIG or Digit or any other insurer offering a cheaper plan, or a similar plan with more benefits, I would have to get my car repaired without the benefit of cashless facility, Is there anything I could do about it? Isn't it a pain going for non-cashless?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks