Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 09:39   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
@parsh, Toyota didn't worry about the Aria because it didn't sell well. The XUV on the other hand has the *potential* (yet to be proven) to steal not just some Fortuner sales, but also some Innova sales. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota brings down the pricing of the Fortuner and the Innova or at the very least adds more features for the same price. The Fortuner seems overpriced at the current levels. There is scope for 'correction' here. Would I then cancel my XUV booking and go with the Fortuner as I originally planned? Sure, competition is good for consumers.
Yeah, TFort does seem to be priced at a premium and so does Innova when looked from the perspective of the goodies on offer in the competition. I too think XUV500 may impact Innova sales to some extent but still doubt if at all it will touch TFort. Toyota hopefully will pull a good one in their new FL Innova coming by mid 2012. And add to that they may not be reducing prices of Innova but probably increasing by about 30k. Even with that cost and features advantage it remains to be seen if XUV500 can match the reliability, refinement, build quality of Toyota. Let us watch out for our Team-BHP review of XUV500. I think it is going to be shocker. All of us will indeed would love to see some price correction in Innova and TFort and if that happens we will see many more jumping for Toyotas even for not having goodies on offer. But looking at Toyota, they are pretty adamant and unless market kicks Toyoto in butt very badly they will not improve. People still keep buying Toyota for their sheer core values. Competition is hot man. I just hope people will buy with their eyes open looking at the core values and not judge by only the features.
Old 8th October 2011, 11:20   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Even with that cost and features advantage it remains to be seen if XUV500 can match the reliability, refinement, build quality of Toyota....I just hope people will buy with their eyes open looking at the core values and not judge by only the features.
Very correct Parsh. I don't think the current XUV matches the Toyota's refinement levels. And yes, I don't fall for the extra electronics in the XUV. Its good to have, but that's not going to make a difference to the purchase decision. But its safety equipment list is impressive though. I hope all manufacturers go that route. I only hope the XUVs mechanics are sound and don't fall apart. That is the core value as you've called it.
Old 8th October 2011, 12:22   #198
mxx
BHPian

Innova will get good numbers from taxi segment if not from individual buyers. Aria will need a price correction but we cannot expect much since the merlin is due soon. So, sales wise innova numbers will be higher than the other two. Also remember that innova has low priced versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This is really very optimistic of you to think that XUV is going to hurt fortuner's sales. Seriously? 99% of the customers of T-Fort buy it for the Bling factor. None of them buys it for its off-roading abilities.
Very true. 99% do not buy it for the only thing good in it-off road capability. Infact a lot of these I see on bangalore roads are chauffeur driven. Any many of them goes over speed bumps slower than a civic. Dont think these will ever get off the road.
Still not convinced. Well, a captive awd with automatic transmission is cheaper than fortuner, it is more car like to drive, and a.s.s is not as good as toyota but not very bad either. Then why it does not sell as much. Cos in India, any thing with a toyota badge will sell. Toyota knows this, that is why it sells for a 10lakh premium here. And they will still sell it at that price. Few people will see beyond the badge.
Old 8th October 2011, 18:35   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
1) Launch 2WD Manual @ 16-17 Ex-Showroom and shake the SUV market
2) Launch 2WD A/T @ 18-19 and pull those A/T customers before M&M launches A/T
3) Launch 4WD Manual @ the current prices 20.5
4) Be arrogant about their brand value and stay at their current overpriced levels and slowly over a period loose market to local brands and leave us
I just hope option 4 is not it. Toyota is too good a car maker to lose from the market. Moreover, Toyota is also a volume player, so they will not be shy of correcting prices if required. If Honda had to reduce prices to protect sales, I think Toyota will too. (That is IF Toyota sales are threatened)
I sure like the pricing on option 1; you made my day. Thank you.
You do that pricing, and the SUV market will be shaken and quite vigorously at that. M&M will likely have to retain the 'introductory pricing'.
That said, what I would also like to see is a selectable 4x4 option. It would be nice to get better mileage in city.
BTW, I was told that the XUV auto is likely to be launched next Dec at the earliest, but I am not putting any money on that date yet. In any case, it will be interesting to see how the current XUV holds up.
Old 8th October 2011, 20:34   #200
Senior - BHPian

Keeping feelings aside, I feel very surprised when 'non' owners of a particular brand of vehicle comment that is over/under priced. Ask any Fortuner owner, and it is priced bang on the buck...

XUV delivers stupendoud value for the package offered, but then so does a TCL TV, but people still go out and buy a SONY...

And 99% buy for bling!! is an overstatement. Fortuner delivers best on-road capabilities for the urban jungle besides any off-roading needs.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 20:56   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Keeping feelings aside, I feel very surprised when 'non' owners of a particular brand of vehicle comment that is over/under priced. Ask any Fortuner owner, and it is priced bang on the buck...

XUV delivers stupendoud value for the package offered, but then so does a TCL TV, but people still go out and buy a SONY....
Bang on the buck, my cousin recently bought a fortuner and according to him he would not mind paying even 2-3 l more for the same product.

Honestly I do not see a price reduction for fortuner the way it is positioned in the market it is at a perfect price point justifying its premium image and giving its users an up market feel.

Aria/XUV customers are the customers who would have otherwise gone to buy an innova, safari or a sedan like cruze altis etc for 15 lakh around, they do aspire for fortuner but its out of their budget. I do not see a guy having 22-25l in pocket for a suv going away from fortuner.

Last edited by kaks15 : 8th October 2011 at 20:57.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:16   #202
BHPian

I don't think the folks buying Fortuner are going to go for XUV, they are probably going to be bought for different reasons. The Fortuner has size and Toyota brand name, those looking for better ride quality at that range will opt for one of the softroaders. Folks spendung 24 lakhs on their SUV want some amount of brand value for their money, whether Mahindra can appeal to this segment is debatable.

The XUV opens a whole new market at its price, it will appeal to those looking for a crossover with a better ride quality than the typical SUV, now available at a accessible price.

For Fortuner folks there will be more demand for value from Fortuner due to the XUV launch, or if after 6 months to 1 year the XUV falls apart on multiple fronts there will be a validation you got to pay more for quality. But now this launch rocks the market in many ways and the impact will only be felt when we see the sales data in the next 6 months.

Last edited by raul : 8th October 2011 at 23:17.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:44   #203
Senior - BHPian

I also think that Fortuner's sales wont be hit by XUV, max is Toyota will launch the new model sooner and with more features. But the XUV segment will heat up soon. Toyota and other companies like Suzuki, Ford, Mitsubishi etc after looking at success of XUV can soon come up with their smaller softroaders in the range of 10 to 15 lakhs.

Fortuner is already a Brand in India and Toyota wont spoil it by reducing price. Plus Toyota is very loyal to their customers they do not betray them. They have other smaller models in their international lineup like the Trios, and if Toyota Trios is launched in price range of 10 to 15 lakhs with good features then it could sell as good as XUV.

Innova could be hit badly, not the taxi segment but private segment. M&M products are also reliable in India and they have wide after sales network. Already Scorpio sells more than Innova so certainly XUV will eat further. More than Fortuner Toyota needs to take care of Innova.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 8th October 2011 at 23:50.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:59   #204
MAS
Senior - BHPian

This thread is fast becoming a Foruner vs XUV thread. For sure there will be a few people who will choose the XUV, many of them would be politicians and those who like gadgets. Fortuner is a far, far superior vehicle when compared to XUV.

I called up my contact in Lanson Toyota and asked him if they are taking bookings for the face-lifted version. He said he has no idea of a face-lifted version, but the Innova with the face-lift is expected to be launched by Jan 2012.

Still saving up for the purchase...
Old 11th October 2011, 11:27   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
This thread is fast becoming a Foruner vs XUV thread. For sure there will be a few people who will choose the XUV, many of them would be politicians and those who like gadgets. Fortuner is a far, far superior vehicle when compared to XUV.

I called up my contact in Lanson Toyota and asked him if they are taking bookings for the face-lifted version. He said he has no idea of a face-lifted version, but the Innova with the face-lift is expected to be launched by Jan 2012.
Still saving up for the purchase...
Absolutely right, there is no comparison of XUV with Fortuner as far as the build quality, brand value and the price is concerned.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:46   #206
BHPian

Pajerosport- dealer is accepting bookings @5lakhs INR. Expected delivery in Feb11 or earlier. On road price expected Rs.28Lakhs - 3.2 L engine - with approx 170ps ( montero engine) 4 speed AT while the Pajero in its current state will continue for MT enthusiasts. This should give some option to Fortuner buyers.
Searching for more info on it.

Other option is Santa Fe- AT with 6 speed tranny. Many other features like keyless entry(smart key) at 28.5Lakhs OTR Ex Thane but yet to TD.

Till then Fortuner remains a good choice in its segment for its ruggedness, built to last impressions. However, a bit confused due to some incidents of brake failures reported.

Test drove XUV last weekend. No comparisons with Fortuner in terms of size , price, ruggedness and overall road presence though some features look similar on paper but IMHO seriously, no match for T Fort.

Last edited by shatrughna : 11th October 2011 at 11:50. Reason: added info on HSF.
shatrughna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 13:26   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
....Expected delivery in Feb11 or earlier. On road price expected Rs.28Lakhs - 3.2 L engine - with approx 170ps ( montero engine) 4 speed AT....
Thanks for the info - You mean Feb 12? The expected pricing is on-road for which city?
Old 11th October 2011, 13:36   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Thanks for the info - You mean Feb 12? The expected pricing is on-road for which city?
Yes Feb 12 ( for Pajerosport) There is a company showroom at Nerul, Navi Mumbai - ex- Navi Mumbai.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:49   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post

Till then Fortuner remains a good choice in its segment for its ruggedness, built to last impressions. However, a bit confused due to some incidents of brake failures reported.
The Brakes issue was resolved long back after Totota modified the entire brakes setup.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:57   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The Brakes issue was resolved long back after Totota modified the entire brakes setup.
Yes, I heard about that and yet, the drum set up at rear, seems a bit out of trend considering the power weight factor- that would add to momentum at top speed. A disc set up would have been far more confidence inspiring set up IMHO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks