Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2017, 12:15   #121
BHPian

Re: VW's suffer from poor reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
In contrast, in Germany and other Europeon countries VW sells more cars than any other brand and Japanese are at the bottom in sales chart. Of course Germans pay more attention to build quality and design hence Japanese/Asian cars are of least priority.
The reason that VWs are reliable (apart from few manufacturing defects) atleast in Germany..
Even in Germany, Japanese/Koreans have better reliability than VW (according to JD power). Mitsubishi tops the chart and Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai etc score better than VW. Interestingly, Skoda is one of the most reliable in Germany.

VW's suffer from poor reliability?-screenshot-148_edited.jpg

Last edited by deerhunter : 11th February 2017 at 12:21.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 12:39   #122
BHPian

And surprisingly Suzuki is one of the least reliable in Germany .
Old 12th February 2017, 12:58   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
And surprisingly Suzuki is one of the least reliable in Germany .
Nothing surprising about it. Germans are very proud people and one of their hallmarks is their Auto industry. Why would they want to buy Suzuki when BMWs are available to them at discounted rates (Oh yes!!!).

It is against their pride to even consider anything non German. So only when enough Suzukis get sold can we really gauge their reliability?

There is only BMW, MERCEDES, VW, SKODA that you really get to see on their roads!!!

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 15:05   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
The problem with VW cars in India is its complexity w.r.t. mechanicals and electronics.
These are modern complex machines and mechanics in India are not trained enough to diagnose issues with these cars. Combine this with high spare part cost and its ETA, less responsive workshop and uncaring VW management, its a nightmare
Now whose fault is that? Is it so hard for VW to train Indian mechanics? You've already answered it - the uncaring VW India management.

Quote:
In contrast, in Germany and other Europeon countries VW sells more cars than any other brand and Japanese are at the bottom in sales chart. Of course Germans pay more attention to build quality and design hence Japanese/Asian cars are of least priority.
The reason that VWs are reliable (apart from few manufacturing defects) atleast in Germany are:
  • VW cars and engines are fundamentally desgined and devepoed in Germany and hence very well adapted to its road and environmental conditions. Air conditioning is necessary only for 3-4 months in a year.
I don't agree with this. Japan's climate is also very different from India. How come their cars don't fail? How do Land Cruisers work flawlessly in the Gulf desert? If the company is serious about selling in India, it is they who should adapt. India's climate and conditions are not going to change for them.
Quote:
  • almost all mechanics (even roadside FNGs) have the know-how/experience about these complex machines
  • people maintain their cars as per the service booklet. In a separate service booklet, for each scheduled service the list of checks/part replacements to be performed are clearly mentioned and once it is done the respective workshop will tick all the checks done and put their seal below it. While selling the car, the buyers will prefer only cars with proper service history.
Again doesn't explain so many injector failures even in cars meticulously maintained.
Quote:
  • there is a mandatory vehicle road worthiness check (engine, drivetrain, electricals, etc.) by Goverment agency (Tüv) for every 2 years so every car must be maintained in a proper way to pass this test
You can add two more factors:
1. VAG parts are not so expensive over there. Just check any engine and complex parts, the cost of the most parts with shipping from Germany or Czech Republic will be cheaper than what they charge in India.
2. VAG parts are available freely for FNGs
jetti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 18:53   #125
BHPian

My uncle owned a 2013 Vento TDI manual and he advised me not to go for a VW ever. He recently upgraded to an Elantra and I took a Verna. His issues started from a few weeks after purchase itself.

Once while coming back from Shiridi the 'check engine' light started flashing. When he contacted the road assistance he was asked to not move the vehicle at all and bring it to Mumbai from where it can to towed. The weird part was that they do not come for assistance or send their vehicle if we are not in their serviceable radius. I found that very strange, maybe a VW user can clarify. Since he was in the middle of nowhere at night he just drove home some 300kms praying that night.

But he always had some kind of an issue like electrical failure or suspension noise or poor braking etc. Too add to his woes his dealer was very relaxed to say the least. Would take his own time to resolve and would always charge a bomb.
Old 13th February 2017, 02:31   #126
BHPian

This thread shines a different and unwelcome (for VW) light on their much hyped slogan "Only Volkswagen can make a Volkswagen"
Old 14th February 2017, 10:48   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Hey Volkman.. Could you briefly list the 3 issues that required a flat bad service? -- or would you say even the manual cars are not as great in reliability?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
All details coming up in the ownership thread, and in all 3 occasions the car was immobile.
Here it is and reasons for me to believe that the brand has a reliability issue in India.

Link (Welcomed into the family of Das Auto - VW Polo1.6)

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th February 2017 at 12:04. Reason: Added "issue". Report this post if that's not what you meant.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 10:09   #128
BHPian

Reporting in one more incident - new Polo weld issue. My 6 month old Polo 1.2 started making squeaking sounds (around 3 months back) behind the dashboard area. The service center guys asked me to come back during the 6 month checkup since they were upgrading their system to be GST complaint. VW has diagnosed it as a suspension mount welding defect (right side). Same thing was reported by aashish_84 a couple of months ago in this thread.

The solution proposed was to take out the entire suspension assembly, re-weld the suspension mount, paint it and put things back. Expected downtime is 1 week. Have also requested them to provide me with a written reason why this happened. Will keep you all posted on how that goes.

Do you think there would be any safety issues at highway speeds because of this service center welding? Thanks

So much for VW welding quality..

Last edited by sprocket : 16th September 2017 at 10:11.
Old 16th September 2017, 11:03   #129
Senior - BHPian

In fact the sales guys explain a great deal about the welding process and that it's the best in the world, seamless, clean etc. This is really shocking. I think VW and Nissan will be going the GM way soon.

Quote:

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th December 2018 at 10:15. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 16th September 2017, 11:25   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
The solution proposed was to take out the entire suspension assembly, re-weld the suspension mount, paint it and put things back. Expected downtime is 1 week. Have also requested them to provide me with a written reason why this happened. Will keep you all posted on how that goes.

Do you think there would be any safety issues at highway speeds because of this service center welding? Thanks

The 2013 Vento owned by my friend (and later me) had the body re-welded on the inside rear right wheel arch for a noise issue. The car was not involved in any accidents or other mishaps. So much for VW welding quality

Coming to the suspension upper mount welding you need not worry about it if they do it carefully following the instruction in the book, and the workshop will have the necessary equipment to do it. Make sure that there are no visible traces of a weld job visible on the upper mount because when you sell the car that area is one of the most scrutinised by dealers and people looking for accident repair traces.
Old 16th September 2017, 12:02   #131
BHPian

Don't want to generalize, as there are a number of members here who have had great experiences of owning a Volkswagen vehicle. Just wanted to share my opinion based on my experiences.

I own a December 2011 Passat with a little under 47K on the ODO, currently. The car feels as solid as a tank, is loaded with features, fantastic to drive and is very comfortable to be driven in as well. However, it has been the least reliable when compared to the other cars in my garage - Honda(s) and a Toyota.

Judging by the nature of the faults my car has experienced, I feel that Volkswagen haven't made some of the components tough enough to handle Indian conditions. The problems I have had are usually repeat failures. i.e. - Water Pump failed twice, ABS Sensors have failed 3 or 4 times, AC conked off once, Air Filter gets clogged well before the scheduled service interval, etc.

Moreover, the time spent waiting for parts is very annoying. I have had a very see-saw experience with the (only) dealer in my city. They have been extremely poor and have suddenly improved after escalating issues, only to have them flop again at times.

On the other hand, my experiences with the Japanese brands have been better and more consistent. My Honda and Toyota car's have at worst faced a flat battery or worn out parts due to usage/ageing despite being driven a lot more than my VW.

I would love to consider another VW as my next purchase but based on my experiences with my Passat, I think I'll pass on the idea. Great cars backed by inconsistent dealers and a big question mark about reliability.
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 19:29   #132

What a surprise, multiple threads on VW's reliability.

I've shared my story here, please go through it if you have a moment.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4274482
Mechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 19:38   #133
BHPian

The Ventos manufactured around 2011 definitely have injector issues. They then quote about 20K an injector. According to them all 4 of my injectors have given up at the same time. Just got it done from an independent garage but can't trust to take the car out of the City (Had a pathetic experience where the injector failed 4 times in 1 trip).
Old 22nd September 2017, 19:57   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
The Ventos manufactured around 2011 definitely have injector issues. They then quote about 20K an injector. According to them all 4 of my injectors have given up at the same time. Just got it done from an independent garage but can't trust to take the car out of the City (Had a pathetic experience where the injector failed 4 times in 1 trip).
Didn't they offer goodwill warranty in that case considering its a well known problem and the injectors are a critical component of the engine?

Have to say reading these Volkswagen group atrocities , my experience with Ford has been pleasant .They were quick to approve 50 % goodwill for all 4 doors which were rusted even though the car was 5 years old and out of warranty for over 3 years and was not serviced at Ford dealerships either.
Old 24th September 2017, 07:31   #135

I remember bringing up the same topic a few years and comparing the reliability of the Japanese / Korean cars with the VW ones. I got told off that it was a rhetorical question and that people should be willing to put their time & effort if they want a more car which is more driveable & handles well.

In my opinion, that does not make sense. Why should they be mutually exclusive ? How can one the leading auto brands in the world and who pride themselves on quality & precision, make cars which mechanically fail ?
surfacer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks