Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 09:07   #1
BHPian

VW's suffer from poor reliability?

I was reading a complaint forum and found that VW cars have so much problems, not designed for Indian roads and breakdown very easily. Is that true?

I was impressed with Vento, also thinking to go for but seriously its freaking comments from VW owners - VW is a CHEAT FRAUD - Volkswagen Group Sales India Complaint

Do we have similar views here as well?
ezee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 11:22   #2
BHPian

re: VW's suffer from poor reliability?

Top brands become different animals when they operate in India.

Must be the weak consumer laws. The buying public is responding by reducing their risk: buying less buying small.

This hurts tax revenue. Government is responding by toughening up consumer protection laws. Read the recent bill s on Fair Contract. Those multi page contracts with unfair clauses in your mobile phone /car loan applications are not binding on you anymore.

But is it too little too late?

Last edited by proton : 25th May 2011 at 11:25. Reason: Spelling
Old 25th May 2011, 11:25   #3
BANNED

@ezee; VW and Skoda have the same DNA!
Old 25th May 2011, 11:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Boy, i was hoping VW would be better then Skoda's in A.S.S, and was seriously waiting for new Jetta. Now i think it would be safer to give it a pass for now until they start focusing more seriously on Indian customers and QC of cars sold in India.

BTW, any views if this is all true, cos i haven't seen many complaints from TBHP VW owners?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 25th May 2011 at 11:32. Reason: Grammer
Old 25th May 2011, 11:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ezee; VW and Skoda have the same DNA!
I will part agree and part disagree. I will not like to categorize them both in the same category. VW is certainly more conscious about its reputation. Skoda's problem is that its dealers (and maybe in collusion with company officials) have taken the customers for a ride. I am yeat to hear anything serious about VW as such. There are quite a few Vento/Polo owners on the forum, who are reasonably satisfied with the level of service dished out by VW.

The one thing about VW (and to a certain degree Skoda) is that most of their car reek 'quality'. The alternate option is to go for a semi-mediocre car like Corolla with 'bullet proof reliability' but just about acceptable levels of quality, and 'made from tin' feel. when you buy such a car, it feels as if you spent 14 odd lacs on a very average car. However, it never gives you trouble. So, its a catch 22!

PS: Every now and then, we do get cars like Civic, which despite being Jap, have good quality and build strength. But such cars are too few and too far in between.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 25th May 2011 at 11:46.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 11:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Abhi_Automobile, There is nothing wrong with Jap cars. You know who invests in what parts/design on a car. You are buying the money's worth in both cases.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@Abhi_Automobile, There is nothing wrong with Jap cars. You know who invests in what parts/design on a car. You are buying the money's worth in both cases.
I completely agree. In fact, I like lot of Jap cars (I like Civic, OHC, Fortuner etc.). However, to me, some of the other cars leave a lot to be desire din terms of quality and strength.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

I am not surprised. In the 90s, VW used to have similar reputation in USA. Their cars (GTI/Jetta/Passat) were loved and adored, but their service record was dubious. Something like Skoda reputation in India.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th May 2011 at 12:17.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:09   #9
BHPian

I guess for now the only way VW A.S.S can be termed, is 'unknown'. Let another year pass, and then the long term reviews of various Polo and Vento owners will start coming, presenting a more accurate picture. No one can comment on the quality of service by just going for routine checkups, which is what more than 90% of modern vehicles need for 60-70K KM's at least.

I too completely agree with Abhi_Automobile. The build quality of a Fabia or Polo is simply leagues ahead of its competitors. Maybe this is less drastic in the Civic territorry, but trust me, try going for a TD of Polo/Fabia and then go check any other hatch back right away, it's mighty tough to convince yourself to buy any other hatch back
Old 25th May 2011, 12:15   #10
BHPian

Re: Is This True ? VW is having worst reputation among all ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
VW cars have so much problems, not designed for Indian roads and breakdown very easily. Is that true?
I believe, this is taking it a little too far.
There are no such threads/ posts on team-bhp to say that VW cars are that bad.

We cannot single out cases and say that a brand is doing horribly wrong.
Also, we cannot expect them to operate in the same way as a Maruti/ Hyundai/ Ford.

They have their operation limitations. The are selling is low numbers. They are new into India. They will surely take a little time to adapt to Indian conditions.

They never claimed that their cars were Made for India cars, did they? They brought their best selling models into India for us to have a taste of what their cars are.

We bought their cars since we wanted to differ from the rest. Yes, there will be very little resale value for their cars. Lot of money spent on servicing their cars. Lot of delays in getting spares.
But there is a price to pay for everything. You want to be different, enjoy the VW quality and engineering, you must be ready for the compromise.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW's suffer from poor reliability?

Unfortunately with the new entrants the service process have not been streamlined by the auto manufacturer and monitoring is at best scanty. Hence the level of service varies widely between two A.S.S or sometimes between two service advisors. If you are fortunate you end up with a good A.S.S. and/or a service advisor. Maruti and Hyundai have streamlined the process and have a certain degree of maturity in their Customer and service management. It will take time for others to reach that level.It all depends on how serious others are in catching up.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am a Polo owner for almost a year. I can vouch for the reliability of VW cars. Not a single niggle has happened in my car. VW in India is let down only by ultra poor A.S.S and not so great engines.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I believe, this is taking it a little too far.
There are no such threads/ posts on team-bhp to say that VW cars are that bad.
+1. There could be one off cases but IMO VW is going all out in correcting most of the assembly /quality issues reported.
VW looks to be very serious in being one of the top notch auto brand in the Indian market.

Cheers!

Last edited by Amartya : 25th May 2011 at 12:36. Reason: Minor correction, fixed the quote tag. Thanks.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

What is with this VW group? I haven't heard too many positive things about VW in US too but in India they are on a completely different level. None of their brands seems to be reliable enough - be it Skoda, VW or Audi. Wonder how they are amongst the top auto manufacturers in the world
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 12:46   #15
BHPian

Few days back i was searching for the new Jetta online and i found out a lot of people complaining about the reliabilty of the VW cars. most of them a problematic a/t gearbox or an electronic related issue , though they are quite new in the indian market but i am sure they would be not as easy to maintain as a Korean or a Japanese car but i guess that's the price you have to pay to own a German car

P.S - Not related to the topic but i would like to see if the new Hyundai car's will be as reliable as before after adding all this electronic gizmo's in the new Verna , I45 etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks