Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is a Skoda worth buying anymore?
Yes - The strengths of the product outweigh the ownership headaches 67 23.51%
No - Service and Support matter to me as much as the car 218 76.49%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2006, 21:58   #31
BANNED

OFF TOPIC, KINDLY EXCUSE! Is it so obvious, v1p3r? Everytime I mention the Laura, MotorMom says I'm stupid and that she knows I want to buy it... Then, while discussing two other cars in PM, Steerman, told me the same without saying the stupid bit LOL... BTW, gang, I drove the manual Laura today (secret: No telling MotorMom hehehe!)... Yes, the manual Laura is out. I know you all will say that I love the DSG, but I feel the DSG deserves a better engine for the super duper thingie it is!
Old 30th January 2006, 22:08   #32
BANNED

Huh? I pressed edit and then I got an error and when I clicked refresh, it logged me out...
Contd...
Coming back to the point, I'm taking this thread as a very serious warning v1p3r and thanks for watching my back, bhai
Old 30th January 2006, 23:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

OT: Just give me a spin in whatever car you buy, Boom!
Old 31st January 2006, 01:19   #34
BHPian

Woo ,i am shocked to see that most of the bhpians 've voted against the Skoda .. I agree the service is not so good (i wont say its pathetic) and the parts are expensive but let me ask you guys one Q ..
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
Could you please suggest me a car(under Rs. 20 lacs) having these Qualities :

Excellent Ride quality,
Build Quality,
Straightline Stability
Fantastic diesel and petrol engines(the best in the class)
Outstanding FE(diesel)
Fantastic Gearbox(both DSG and manual)
Premium Brand (india)
Good resale
And above all VFM

I bet you cant suggest anything other than a Skoda !

Now,a person who drives 80km/day(approx) ,the petrol is out of question due to High running costs ..not to forget, it would be 10 times higher than the service of a Skoda ..

If you calculate ,a skoda(diesel) could take your monthly savings UP by Rs. 12-15 thousand/month(unless any part gets faulty after two years of warranty)
Now ,the servici comes once in six months or 7500 kms (whichever is earlier) and if you wer asked to pay 8-10 thousand/service ,thats OK .. I mean at the end of the day your bank balance is def. on the increase(unlike the petrol cars of same segment) ..

TBH ,i cant think of anything other than a Skoda cos there is no other car(in its price range) that can pamper you with all these things ..

But if anyone of you knows ,please do share the secrets ..
I would say YES ,skoda is worth every single penny(cant say the same for the Laura though) but they should improve the standard of their service asap .

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 31st January 2006, 01:52   #35
BANNED

You ask, Team-BHP answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
let me ask you guys one Q ..
Could you please suggest me a car(under Rs. 20 lacs) having these Qualities :

Excellent Ride quality,
Build Quality,
Straightline Stability
Fantastic diesel and petrol engines(the best in the class)
Outstanding FE(diesel)
Fantastic Gearbox(both DSG and manual)
Premium Brand (india)
Good resale
And above all VFM

I bet you cant suggest anything other than a Skoda !
Beemer bhai, my long time companion in confusion over choosing a new car in 2006, there is an answer - TOYOTA... For petrol, Toyota Corolla and for diesel, Innova.

Yes, the DSG can't be offered by anyone else, but then, what engine is the DSG mated with in India??

In India and around the world, Toyota commands far more respect than Skoda as a brand.

When it comes to resale value, you just can't beat a Honda and a Toyota in India and yes, VFM too. VFM - while the Skoda gives you an on-board computer and fancy gizmos (Ask Arush Bhai, even he says that the FE indicator is not actual FE, but just for how you are driving at the moment as in the case of the Honda CR-V) do they give essentials like power retractable mirrors on any model lower than the Superb? Do they give a printed antenna?? etc. ... Why are you not buying the Laura?? What is it that is scaring me to buy a Laura?? Would either of us like to walk across the car and close our LHS side mirror everytime we park in a crowded place??? How much will a service cost?? If things go wrong or if one has an accident, will Skoda service centers/ workshops be able to fix your car without goofing up/ charging you for things that don't even need to be touched/ replaced?? Do you know how sensitive the clutch of the Skoda is when compared to that of a Corolla/ Accord?? Haven't you heard of so many vRS buyers and even other Skoda car buyers crying about fuel related issues?? Why is Skoda the only one with fuel issues when cars like the Honda Accord which are under the 20lakh price you have mentioned and even more powerful don't?? Have you heard of any other authorised service centre refusing to service a car manufactured by their company just because it was not bought from the showroom of the particular service centre/ workshop??

Let me tell you this with confidence, the Corolla is an almost zero-maintenance car and so is the case with the Honda cars... Of course, if one drives like a nutcase, any car would be a problem.

Does Skoda Octavia suit a family? Back seat ride and height for elders??

Do the Laura and Octavia look different from one another when one is almost 40-50% more expensive? Hardly! ... The Camry and Corolla sure look different!!! Bhai, Corolla is not the world's largest selling car for no reason and just wait till the new Corolla is out in 2007... Skoda (petrol cars) will run for cover. For that matter, even the Civic is a big threat to Laura.

Apart from this, try telling someone in the UK/ US you drive a Skoda... Don't be surprised if they ask you what a Skoda is LOL.

I used to hate the Corolla before I sold my Scorpio two months ago, but after driving the Corolla for two months, this damn car has taught me how to respect it in more ways than one... I will never admit this to MotorMom, but it really has. I triple dog dare the Skoda dealer here in Chennai to give the service LAnson Toyota does or be as reliable as Lanson Toyota is. Lord! If MotorMom saw this post she would slap me for telling her that the Corolla is a $h!tty car everyday .

You know what my biggest problem with buying a new car is? It's hard to beat a Corolla which is an absolute winner as an all-rounder... That too at just around 12.5L OTR for the "so called" new Corolla in Chennai.

Most of all, this thread asks if Skoda is worth it when you end up paying so much for maintenance and also the poor capability of their service centres, not of Skoda as a car. As Ady has rightly said, when a person is buying a car, he isn't buying just "the car" he is buying whole package of sales support & that sort of stuff.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 31st January 2006 at 02:11.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:07   #36
BANNED

I forgot to add this... Can you believe that Skoda has abruptly stopped the production of the Laura DSG AT (a car that's just been launched a few weeks back) for a few months even though a few customers have already made payments for the same?? Why were those payments accepted??? Imagine this happening to you, what would you do?? Leave the DSG you and I can't stop mentioning and settle for the manual or feel cheated and walk away??? Why did a few get the DSG right away while the others who also made the payments are not?? Is this the way to do business when the amount in question is close to INR 20L? Really says a lot about where Skoda India is headed, doesn't it??

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 31st January 2006 at 03:14.
Old 31st January 2006, 04:11   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
For that matter, even the Civic is a big threat to Laura.
Sorry, I made a typo... I meant a big threat to Skoda, not Laura.
Old 31st January 2006, 04:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
there is an answer - TOYOTA... and for diesel, Innova.
Buddy, the Innova is an altogether different vehicle .Its a MUV . A person thinking of buying a luxury diesel car wont even take it under consideration .

Quote:
Yes, the DSG can't be offered by anyone else, but then, what engine is the DSG mated with in India??
IMO ,the power is more than sufficient and the initial acceleration is just fantastic .. I 've no complaints with the engine and the gearbox ,coupled together they make quite a good package .

Quote:
When it comes to resale value, you just can't beat a Honda and a Toyota and yes, VFM too.
Add skoda octavia Tdi to the list as well ,the resale is as good as the hondas . Nope ,i dont agree ,the corrola by no means is a VFM .

Quote:
Why are you not buying the Laura??
Buddy ,the only reason that i am not buying the Laura is cos i feel its no different from the current octavias(let it be looks,engine,size,space,interiors and what not) everything is just octaviaish .. The only way that makes me feel "its different" is the steep price and the Laura tag at the rear .
I mean ,i am failed to understand how could they price such car at 18+ lacs .. No offence to anybody but at present laura seems to me a waste of money .. if i had to waste my money ,i would rather go and donate my money somewhere rather than buying a f***G LAURA for 18 lacs .

Quote:
Would either of us like to walk across the car and close our LHS side mirror everytime we park in a crowded place???
Dost, i ve never given such importance to these things ..Give me a Laura(ofcourse i am talking about the car) for Rs.14-15 lacs and i would be one of those early buyers ,irrespective of the features .. but i agree this feature needs to be there or else in the jams all those riskshaw walas and the autos and two wheelers ll smooch it tightly every second ..

Quote:
Haven't you heard of so many vRS buyers and even other Skoda car buyers crying about fuel related issues??Why is Skoda the only one with fuel issues
I dont know about the vRS but if you leave karthiks case aside for a moment , i ve never heard of any such major problems with the 1.9 tdi octavias . I ve never ever heard skoda(diesel) facing any fuel problems ..I, myself kept it for nearly two years ,but never had any major problems . and i am sure there are several other Octavia owners in this forum too , have you ever heard any such major issues? .. all we hear is poor service back up and high maintenance ..and i hope now that Skoda india MD has changed issues like this ll be addressed sooner than later .

[quote=MrBoombastic]Have you heard of any other authorised service centre refusing to service a car manufactured by their company just because it was not bought from the showroom of the particular service centre/ workshop??

Again ,its for the first time i am hearing such things .. I know atleast 10-15 octavia owners in new delhi and never heard of any such things but no doubt its shameful ..

Quote:
... Of course, if one drives like a nutcase, any car would be a problem.
I totally agree dost ,and this applies to the Skodas as well ,take gud care of hers and it 'll never give you any major problems .

Quote:
Apart from this, try telling someone in the UK/ US you drive a Skoda... Don't be surprised if they ask you what a Skoda is LOL.
Buddy ,we are born and living in india ,so why to even consider what brand values they 've in other parts of the world .. we aint going for a road tour ,are we ? We are to drive here in india ..and dont forget the kind of choice they 've there is much more wider than the limited choice we ve here in india . and we are the best examples ..Hunting for a good car since last few months(to me its been more than a year) and still not decided yet .. Its all cos we dont 've good choice available over here . i am sure you would agree . lol

Quote:
I used to hate the Corolla before I sold my Scorpio two months ago, but after driving the Corolla for two months, this damn car has taught me how to respect it in more ways than one... I will never admit this to MotorMom, but it really has. I triple dog dare the Skoda dealer here in Chennai to give the service LAnson Toyota does or be as reliable as Lanson Toyota is. Lord! If MotorMom saw this post she would slap me for telling her that the Corolla is a $h!tty car everyday .
I guess we look for different things when deciding on a car .. I still and 'll always hate corrola .. Sorry to say bro but to me its THE worst car in its segment and the reasons are ample like flimsy build quality, pathetic ride quality ,excessive road noise ,rattly interiors to name a few and neither am impressed with the looks .

Quote:
Most of all, this thread asks if Skoda is worth it when you end up paying so much for maintenance and also the poor capability of their service centres, not of Skoda as a car. As Ady has rightly said, when a person is buying a car, he isn't buying just "the car" he is buying whole package of sales support & that sort of stuff.
I agree, Skoda india needs to improve the standard of their service . Its going down day by day but as per the maintanence , i clearly mentioned in my post that for people(like me) who drive a lot(80-100 kms/day) Octavia Tdi is overall the best car only because it saves a lot on monthly basis credid goes to that excellent diesel engine coupled with outstanding FE but having said that ,take the diesel engine out and i wont recommended it to anyone ... The diesel engine is its strongest point ,infact that is the only thing which makes me ignore the high maintainence .
Old 31st January 2006, 04:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to add this... Can you believe that Skoda has abruptly stopped the production of the Laura DSG AT (a car that's just been launched a few weeks back) for a few months even though a few customers have already made payments for the same??
Gosh ! You mean the DSG laura is no more available here in india !! I am sure there must be a genuine reason for this .. That reminds me ..
You know what ,we all know the DSG is a fabolous piece of technology but did you know that the same DSG box is giving some problems to the owners of Audis and VWs worldwide !

Quote:
Why were those payments accepted??? Imagine this happening to you, what would you do?? Leave the DSG you and I can't stop mentioning and settle for the manual or feel cheated and walk away???
Buddy , i ve been a member of briskoda.net(a forum made for skoda owners/lovers) since last 4-5 months and guess what ,i ve heard some kinda problems new octavia owners facing with the DSG and if i were to choose between the two ,i would use my mind and go with the tried and tested Manual gearbox .. taking into consideration the complex nature of DSG,its bound to give you some odd problems and to top it all ,this DSG gearbox is Irrepairable and costs whopping Rs. 2 lacs(thats what i was told by a skoda dealer) .

Now that Skoda has stopped its production ,i wont recommend it over manual .
Old 31st January 2006, 07:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Now,a person who drives 80km/day(approx) ,the petrol is out of question due to High running costs ..not to forget, it would be 10 times higher than the service of a Skoda ..
can a person buying a car costing about 20 lakhs afford cost of petrol for 80km/day? Yes
Is FE his prime concern? No & if it is I am sorry to say that person doesn't deserve to buy such car.

and for being chauffered around in Octivia for 80km/day, it would be more comfortable to travel in Auto

Quote:
Buddy ,the only reason that i am not buying the Laura is cos i feel its no different from the current octavias(let it be looks,engine,size,space,interiors and what not) everything is just octaviaish .. The only way that makes me feel "its different" is the steep price and the Laura tag at the rear .
I mean ,i am failed to understand how could they price such car at 18+ lacs .. No offence to anybody but at present laura seems to me a waste of money .. if i had to waste my money ,i would rather go and donate my money somewhere rather than buying a f***G LAURA for 18 lacs
you have said it yourself why people should not buy Skoda

Quote:
You know what ,we all know the DSG is a fabolous piece of technology but did you know that the same DSG box is giving some problems to the owners of Audis and VWs worldwide !
source?
Old 31st January 2006, 07:42   #41
BHPian

Skoda (Octavia 1.9TDi) was mainly successful because there were limited options for people wanting to buy a premium diesel. No doubt, the 1.9TDi is a true gem but the common rails have taken over and the Elantra makes much more sense in every aspect when you are looking for 10 lac diesel. Had the Elantra been priced at it's current levels, the Octavia would have had very little success.
Old 31st January 2006, 07:43   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Z?4t to put my two bits in about the expensive spares.... This problem is not only with Skoda but with any german car in India. Wether it is a Merc,Opel or Skoda...all face the same problem of expensive spares...you have to consider that part before buying a german car rather than sulk abt it later.
As for bad service, i have a couple of frnds that own skodas and have not heard of any bad service reviews but if there r then certainly that is unexcusable...but we must understand that the parent company has only little hold of what is going on in the franchise service centers...they do monitor them but in an industry like this a crook will also find a way to extract money which is not the companys fault directly but it does create a bad image for them

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st January 2006 at 07:47.
Old 31st January 2006, 07:49   #43
BHPian

if one was to assemble a skoda from spare parts, a 12 lakh machine would end up costing 20, maybe more. and the shady ASS definately urges one to go for honda or toyota, hyundai not a bad case either with the emberra.

i wont take such risks for so much money involvement.

hope they change all this with lauch of fabia. wont sell otherwise, because cost of ownership is major issue with cars under 10 lakh set.
Old 31st January 2006, 07:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

L'il off topic, what is the the price of regular manual Laura ??
Old 31st January 2006, 09:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beemer bhai, my long time companion in confusion over choosing a new car in 2006, there is an answer - TOYOTA... For petrol, Toyota Corolla and for diesel, Innova.
Might wanna add the CRDI stable from hyundai to that lis?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks