Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2006, 16:32   #1
BHPian

What is the future of Ambassador?

I am bit surprised that almost no discussion made here regarding our very own Ambassador.

HM still produce these cars and recently launched several facelift versions (in www.hmambassador.com, the Avigo looks good).

Did anyone here try them?

To me, it seems still one of the most practical car on Indian roads.

Any opinions from the BHPians?
Old 9th February 2006, 17:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

I test drove the Avigo when it was launched almost two years ago.
While the idea seems fine, the execution is pathetic.
The alloy wheels are fine and the paint job and overall exterior finish is better than earlier models. However, it's still not close to the other cars that you can get for a similar price. On the inside, the fit and finish of the interior is horrid. Dials are not fitted straight, the ashtray can cut someone's fingers, the switches are flimsy and the window winders feel like they could break any second. One feels, HM could have done better even if they had lifted fittings off the Contessa's interior and fitted them here. The leather seats are OK. On the move, the engine feels smooth and powerful enough to cruise on our roads. The brakes and handling are an improvement over previous models. Still, always remember, this is an old design. It will never handle or stop like a new generation car. The AC cools well, but there is no heater.
Overall - AVOID! If you really want an Ambassador, go for the chrome draped Classic. I'm sure HM can fit the Avigo's disc brakes and alloy wheels on it.
Old 9th February 2006, 18:06   #3
BHPian

Well you asked an opinion, but it may not agree with you ;-)
IMO, the Amby is better off NOT being on our roads.
Old 9th February 2006, 18:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Actually Ambassador survives on two main clientele... The govt offices who still buy this car (ok, even that is dwindling now) and then the Cab wallahs on the streets of Kolkata and elsewhere. Besides these Amby hardly has any client except for those once in a blue moon kind of amby-crazy guys who walk into their showrooms (if you can call them that).

But, in my opinion Amby does remain the most practical car in the rural parts of this country even today. And it sells there as well to some extent.
Old 9th February 2006, 18:57   #5
BANNED

i agree with zappo.... i think may b there will be 1AMBI/1000 cars bought for private use....
Old 9th February 2006, 19:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Actually Ambassador survives on two main clientele... The govt offices who still buy this car (ok, even that is dwindling now) and then the Cab wallahs on the streets of Kolkata and elsewhere. Besides these Amby hardly has any client except for those once in a blue moon kind of amby-crazy guys who walk into their showrooms (if you can call them that).
You forgot to add me on your list
Old 9th February 2006, 20:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Amby website is the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life....they market their Avigo by saying somthing like this:
YOU'LL BE TALKED ABOUT.
MOSTLY BEHIND YOUR BACK.
The Avigo is not your everyday assembly line beauty. And neither is it a mindless hunk of machinery put together by equally mindless robots.The Avigo is a labour of love.
A work of automobile artistry, inspired by a mans relationship with his car. A relationship that knows no logic.No rationale. Just a lovely warm feeling in the gut that makes. Each and every nerve ending crave for it. Thats right. The Avigo is not about a car.
It is a bond you forge with the most lovable car on indian roads.
We could continue to tell you about the virtues of the Avigo in technology and car parlance. But deep in our hearts we know that no amount of sellling can make you take her home. Yes, you will definitely come across some words of discouragement from a mundane few. But then, who cares?
So all we want to tell you is... just listen to your heart. Listen carefully as you run your fingers over the Avigos beautiful curves.. as you touch her for the very first time.
If you hear a soft pounding unlike anything you've ever heard before,you'll know... this is the moment of truth! You've discovered the Avigo.
And your heart wants it

Man , the website has 1million typo errors and the best yet most hillarious part is that they are marketing MPFI technology and Power steering as if its some cutting edge technology today...poor guys man!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 9th February 2006 at 20:58.
Old 9th February 2006, 23:51   #8
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
But deep in our hearts we know that no amount of sellling can make you take her home.

Its better off the roads!
Though they can do some improvements if they focus on commercial use (taxi)... .. probably a deeper boot!
Old 9th February 2006, 23:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

I see The ambassador beeing sold in year 3000 for even more price than a mercedes.

It will be the car to have sold highest units ever.

HM will have bought GM by then
Old 11th February 2006, 20:56   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Ambassador, being a 6 decade old design, is better off in a museum than on the roads.

GTO
Old 11th February 2006, 21:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think the design is still OK. It still looks good and catches the eye. I was speaking with someone from Delhi a few years ago who organises car hire for tourists. He said he had lost count of the number of times tourists had rejected new cars (Safari, Qualis etc) in favour of an Ambassador. The design has that special X factor which attracts people who are used to driving modern fancy cars like BMWs and Mercs every day. Maybe this does not apply if you have grown up seeing this car every day.

Last edited by bigman : 11th February 2006 at 21:45.
Old 11th February 2006, 21:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

We live in a free market (now) and the customer has many choices to make.

So, really the market should decide the fate of the car. The fact that its still surviving is a testament to the solid design of the car and HM continious improvement programe
Old 12th February 2006, 17:34   #13
BHPian

Listen folks i do agree its a old car and trying it to compare it with the cars on sale now isnt fair.talk about comfort and space it has ample of it and the old models the body is damm strong,its true the company hasnt changed the designs but just a few cosmetic changes here and there isnt enough for it to compete with the models on sale today..its high time they did stop the present models and get something new leaving aside the foreign tieups,how about something totally indigenous,which is something that i very much doubt they will be able to do for example their tieup for the RTV.you hardly get to see any of them,god aone knows if they are still on sale or no.

Cheers...
Old 12th February 2006, 19:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Slowly, the Amby cabs are being replaced by Indicabs.
Govt is phasing out old Ambys for the Sumos,Mahindras,etc.

To answer the question,
HM might sell till the Govt. keeps ordering.Then, like GTO said, it would become a vintage in a museum
Old 13th February 2006, 00:26   #15
BHPian

I still feel that Amby is the good car for Indian rural roads. I felt very comfortable with Amby on rural roads compared to new gen sedans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks