Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 13:12   #1036
BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Dear Bhpians,

Thanks for all your comments. I am not a Swift hater and I already mentioned earlier that I always wanted to buy the Swift. But it is just that,the new pricing has made me compromise and console my self and opt for the second best thing.

My be you guys can take it as a grievance of a die hard fan who is just unable to get what he wanted for a longtime. Basically the most anticipated thing about the swift was the addition of the ZDI variant which could have easily been the top seller. But the pricing has made it questionable. Potential buyers like me would reconsider from price point of view. I know there is an option of going for the VDI if my budget doesn't allow me to go for the ZDI,but again when there is an option of getting something more for the same price,it is human tendency to opt for whats more at a lesser price.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:22   #1037
Senior - BHPian

I saw the new swift with a dealer this morning and these were my initial impressions:-

1) The car looks good, much more sportier than the earlier car.
2) There is not much of a difference in the overall quality. I have a dzire and I dont feel that the new swift is drastically different. The door pull handles from inside felt nice.
3) It is an improvement but not the best that suzuki could have done. When you are revamping the model with a complete new platform and that too of a high selling car, you would expect them to set benchmarks, which they have not done.
When the swift was launched in 2005, it was a benchmark in most aspects. VFM, Enthusiastic cornering ability etc. But now you have too much competition , Polo, i20, Fabia etc. So the new swift needed to be at least slightly bigger, longer, which it is not. The increased measurement dont translate much in to actual space available.
It will sell very well, but it will not lead sales in its segment like the way it used to. You will see the other cars closely matched.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:22   #1038
BHPian

Just had a short test drive in the ZXI and ZDI. Had to share the ZDI TD with another interested customer since there was just one TD car and several in line for the diesel TD.

Had the petrol car TD all to myself and must say it wasn't bad. The clutch was very light, gear shift excellent and the ride quality miles better than the earlier Swift. Engine was very silent at idle, had decent low end and mid range pep. Couldn't go beyond 3K rpm.

The diesel did have turbo lag below 2K rpm but after that, it just surges ahead. Was impressed. Haven't driven the older DDIS, so can't comment on the lack of surge in the new diesel. It was good in my opinion. In fact, I enjoyed the ZDI more than the ZXI. Since I already have the G series ZXI, the new VVT motor felt smoother but nothing spectacular compared to the older motor. Definitely a step or two ahead in refinement.

The most surprising part was the mileage. Having driven both cars over exactly the same stretch of road, the petrol showed an avg of 15.8 on the MID while the diesel showed 13.9 afer the TD (I had reset the avg display at the start of the trip). Driving style was similar on both variants.

Having said that, the diesel was my pick out of the two. With an asking price of 7.34L OTR in Mumbai, it's a tough call to make though.

Interiors in the new car are fantastic. Quality is better and so is the fit and finish. Boot space is lesser now but manageable IMO. How I wish the length of the car was increased to just under 4m to generate more boot space! Rear bench leg room is better that before but nothing spectacular.

Music system is quite good for an OEM, had good bass and the tweeters do make a difference. ACC works well and looks good.
fuel_addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 17:46   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Had a chance to look at a VDi/ZDi today morning. My impressions are: (purely personal)

-Looks definitely bigger than the old one.
-Interiors got a real face lift, although the VDi interior without music system and ACC seems to be incomplete. A 2-DIN may make it much better.
-Increase in more storage is a real welcome move.
-Steering looks much better in person rather than in pictures.
-I seriously felt the hatch looks awkward, the previous one looked better in my opinion.
-Boot space is really compromised. Its really really cramped now.
-Rear passengers will really feel the increase in leg room.
-Again strictly my views, but the bonnet when looked from side seems to have a bulge to the tip which seems not a good looker.
-Overall, enthusiastic to see the interior changes but I really liked the exterior of the old one better.

The ZXi/ZDi variants come with a 6-speaker music system, including two tweeters, which I guess, are placed near the ORVMs (right where the LXi/LDi have the internal adjuster for the ORVMs).

So, do the VXi/VDi variants have that location reserved for tweeter placement, as these variants don't come with music system, and moreover, have electronic adjustable ORVMs?
Old 20th August 2011, 18:27   #1040
BHPian

Ok folks here is a short report on a TD of the ANSS ZDi.

I have already written earlier about the looks and interiors and hence skipping those.

I only got a chance to drive the diesel. The dealer though had the Zxi TD vehicle but since that was not registered, could not drive that.

Cranked the Zdi. Couldn't believe the engine was on. The noise level was absolutely negligible. This seems a good improvement over the old version.

slotted the car into the gear and started off. The diesel felt sluggish till about 1800 rpm. This time the lag was very much perceptible. I think this seems to be a let down over the older version. The gear box was super smooth. after 1800 rpm, the same old surge was definitely there. That brought me a wide grin on my face.

The steering felt light at low speeds and very tractable. It is also brilliant to hold not to mention the fantastic looks. The handling was perceptibly better. I could point the car where I wanted & felt very much like the Punto.

Drove the car on the Gurgaon Delhi Highway for sometime and yes the car feels very well poised and the insulation levels are very good. The car really feels big and mature. I drove at around 100Kmph and the car felt solid and stable.

The all new stereo system was also a big improvement. Controls were very comfortable and easily reachable. The quality of output felt nice much better than before.

Managed to also take the car across some very bad stretches and boy the ride quality was awesome. It felt as though I was gliding over the potholes. No jerks or judders felt. A definite thumbs up on ride quality.

Overall enjoyed the drive though I felt the turbo lag was a bit more. That was the only let down.

The Vxi version was also displayed. The vehicle felt a little bald without the music system. I think MSIL should have provided the music system in the V versions as well. The steel caps on the V did not look so great.

Now for some interesting conversation with the sales guy;

Sales guy; Sir which model are you looking Petrol or diesel
Me; Petrol ZXi,
Sales guy: Good Sir, it is the best choice
me: Why so?
Sales Guy: great engine, good space, No other car offers so much at this price point
me; jazz definitely is more spacious both interior as well as boot and now with 5.5 l is a great buy.
Sales Guy: No Sir, Swift is more spacious (I could not control my smile)
Me: Ok but what is the waiting period
Sales guy: Petrol has a 10 week waiting period while diesel has 24weeks.
me: At this rate, many people will switch to competition with such waiting periods.
sales Guy; Let them go sir, company has 50000 bookings and are not able to manage the production. So if some people switch it is ok.
Me: (to myself). This is a dangerous attitude to have.

I thanked him and walked off saying I would get back.
nurni76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 19:50   #1041
BHPian

Well just came back from the Maruti Dealer and finally decided to go for ZDI instead of Vdi . Cause in no case I could leave ABS as most of my driving is on the highways. So before finalizing for ZDI I thought of personally having a first hand feel of both Vdi and Zdi and then decide. The biggest question that pounced my mind since 17th Aug was , how could I justify myself of spending 80k more for this model.

My Experience with Zdi- The all black interior is just aw-sum. I personally do not like beige. I remember that all the initial Maruti 800 (car & van) in the beginning were having jet black dash. Secondly the ICU sounds pretty well, base and treble were well balanced, the audio was coming from all the sides. The AUX input will serve perfect to attach any Bluetooth adapter for paring my phone. The USB port will be equally helpful. So now what do they really cost and how should I calculate what is their real worth in monetary terms.

The Climate Control unit was easy to use and had all the basic features The ICU with 6 speakers is quite capable, sounds very nice and can easily be worth 20k. Another 20k for the ABS and EBD ( which is a must). Alloys and Rubber also for 20k and all the remaining stuff like rear wiper , defogger, driver seat height adjustable for 18k .

I'll say even if I have to pay 10k extra for getting all the stuff fitted at the factory end I will be more than happy. Because I have seen those jokers at the accessory shops just ripping apart those beautiful panels and consoles. .

And above all the Dealer has assured me that I will get my already Booked Swift ( in april) by September beginning. Where as Vdi has the long waiting.
Old 20th August 2011, 20:36   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.Grewal View Post
Well just came back from the Maruti Dealer and finally decided to go for ZDI instead of Vdi . Cause in no case I could leave ABS as most of my driving is on the highways. So before finalizing for ZDI I thought of personally having a first hand feel of both Vdi and Zdi and then decide.
Congratulations for the new Swift! The new interiors are pretty good. Do you mind sharing the OTR cost? Also which colour have you booked?
Old 20th August 2011, 21:03   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well just came back from the Maruti Dealer and finally decided to go for ZDI instead of Vdi . Cause in no case I could leave ABS as most of my driving is on the highways. So before finalizing for ZDI I thought of personally having a first hand feel of both Vdi and Zdi and then decide. The biggest question that pounced my mind since 17th Aug was , how could I justify myself of spending 80k more for this model.
Congrats! You've made a good choice!

What colour are you going for?

Quote:
My Experience with Zdi- The all black interior is just aw-sum. I personally do not like beige. I remember that all the initial Maruti 800 (car & van) in the beginning were having jet black dash. Secondly the ICU sounds pretty well, base and treble were well balanced, the audio was coming from all the sides. The AUX input will serve perfect to attach any Bluetooth adapter for paring my phone. The USB port will be equally helpful. So now what do they really cost and how should I calculate what is their real worth in monetary terms.
Same here - I love well made black interiors, and feel these are classier than beige ones! Good to know the OE sound system performs well.

Quote:
The Climate Control unit was easy to use and had all the basic features The ICU with 6 speakers is quite capable, sounds very nice and can easily be worth 20k. Another 20k for the ABS and EBD ( which is a must). Alloys and Rubber also for 20k and all the remaining stuff like rear wiper , defogger, driver seat height adjustable for 18k .

I'll say even if I have to pay 10k extra for getting all the stuff fitted at the factory end I will be more than happy. Because I have seen those jokers at the accessory shops just ripping apart those beautiful panels and consoles. .
Don't forget the dual front airbags!

Quote:
And above all the Dealer has assured me that I will get my already Booked Swift ( in april) by September beginning. Where as Vdi has the long waiting.
Waiting for an ownership thread when you get your Swift!

Cheers!
Old 20th August 2011, 22:35   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well just came back from the Maruti Dealer and finally decided to go for ZDI instead of Vdi . 18k .
Congrats on the purchase ! Wish you many miles of safe motoring with your car

I had a look at the New Swift today, these are my initial impressions.

1. Loved the black interiors with the orange lighting for the instrument cluster. Looks superb!

2. Front seats are very good, infact i'd rate them over the Jazz(personal opinion) as i went for a Jazz TD immediately after looking at the Swift. Rear seat however was better in the Jazz though the swift was decent.

3. I still feel the rear legroom is at a premium in this car. Could have improved it more.

4. Power window switch quality needs improvement, definitely feels very cheap. The worst being the ORVM mirror adjust, i think it will pop-out after a few months.

5. Cannot comment on how the plastic quality is v/s the old swift as i've not owned one, but compared to the Jazz(the one i TD'ed immediately afterwards)
i'd rate Swift as 8/10 and 9/10 for the Jazz.

6. Boot space is very less, coupled with the high loading sil be prepared to have a small work-out loading heavy luggage into the car.

7. Looks wise i prefer the new car to the old one.

Waiting for a TD vehicle to arrive

Last edited by shashank.nk : 20th August 2011 at 22:36. Reason: added 7th point
Old 20th August 2011, 23:11   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Today checked out Swift ZDI at a Road show, ZDI has 120 days waiting period and VDI 180 days.
Old 20th August 2011, 23:46   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Today checked out Swift ZDI at a Road show, ZDI has 120 days waiting period and VDI 180 days.
My uncle has booked the new Swift Diesel in A'bad. The waiting period is 6 months. I am really shocked to see this as Maruti has increased the production of Swift and as far as diesel engines go, Maruti has reduced exports to Europe. Still this is the response he got. Honestly, I would never wait for 6 months for any car. Dealers are trying to earn a few quick bucks. Those who have reference get the advantage and previlage. My friend got his Swift Dzire from A'bad spot on. His relative have contacts with dealership and the dealer told them that the waiting period is many times artificial. Wonder what is the truth. Maruti should have made a few thousand units before launching the product just like Toyota did.
Old 20th August 2011, 23:55   #1047
Senior - BHPian

@aaggoswami Exactly, dealers play a crucial role in Waiting period/delivery period thing. I know a someone who got his VDI within 15 days of booking, just because guy agreed to get the car accessorized from dealer spending almost 50 grands extra. Similarly my cousin sister got her Dezire VDI within a week of booking as the owner of the dealership was her college mate. Dealers surely play tricks to make extra few...
Old 20th August 2011, 23:59   #1048
BHPian

Guys, Did any one find out if the Swift has the 'fold-able' keys like the Punto/i20??
Old 21st August 2011, 00:03   #1049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The diesel did have turbo lag below 2K rpm but after that, it just surges ahead. Was impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
slotted the car into the gear and started off. The diesel felt sluggish till about 1800 rpm. This time the lag was very much perceptible. I think this seems to be a let down over the older version. The gear box was super smooth. after 1800 rpm, the same old surge was definitely there. That brought me a wide grin on my face.
Thanks for the short report guys.

One simple question to all those who have driven the diesel- Is it still FUN to drive? I'm looking for a fun to drive machine which can really attack corners and cruise effortlessly as well. Can it make the driver grin, the way the old one could?
Old 21st August 2011, 00:31   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks for the short report guys.

One simple question to all those who have driven the diesel- Is it still FUN to drive? I'm looking for a fun to drive machine which can really attack corners and cruise effortlessly as well. Can it make the driver grin, the way the old one could?
I drove one today and It's NOT as much fun to drive as the old Swift. The power delivery is a tad more linear and you DO NOT feel the sudden surge in power like the old Swift responded to the push of the pedal.

I took ZDi to 120 kmph today and slammed (well, not literally) the brakes and the car seemed to swerve a bit (as if it would have fish tailed if I braked harder) - could be ABS at work but it wasn't very confidence inspiring. But I am not deciding just as yet - have upgraded my Sep '10 VDi ABS booking to Glistening Grey ZDi. I have waited for almost a year for this car. Maybe, a few more test drives will help clear the confusion.

The audio system rocks - adequate and tight thump, with vocals and highs very distinct. You won't have complains with this one and the ones not interested to show off their music system won't feel the need for a woofer.

The ACC works flawlessly and the AC is an absolute chiller. The fabric on the seats is notch above and feels very soft to touch.

Steering feels chunky to hold and offers good grip. Tilt and height adjustment easily helps find a suitable driving position. Seat are more comfortable than the old Swift.

The waterfall design interferes with your left knee - especially if you are one like me who likes to drive with my legs spread wide. The tilt steering, however, helps with this. You can push the seat back till your knee if out of the console and still feel comfortable with the steering at lowest position - you will need to adjust it back upwards to get in / out of the car.

Overall, a decent package for Rs 77,000 extra that you pay for the ZDi. Here's my break up of the extra cost:

Audio with 6 speakers : Rs 20,000 (definitely worth this much. Moreover you can't get the tweeters installed integrated into he door panels with such finesse.

Five 15-inch alloy wheels (would you ever buy 5 if you were to get them after market?) with broader tires 185/65/R15 (must for Swift) - Rs 30,000. Alloys look good in flesh unlike the criticism it invited from the initial pics.

ABS with EBD, Airbags, Rear Defogger, Rear Wash and Wiper, Driver seat height adjustment, Electro Magnetic Boot Release, Steering mounted audio controls etc are definitely worth spending another whatever Rs 27,000 it comes to.

Maruti is giving 3 year warranty included in the price. 4th year will cost Rs 2600 in Chandigarh.

Forgot to mention, the gear shift is butter smooth - I loved it. Clutch is lighter now.

My verdict - go for it. Maruti's reliability coupled with such a hot and large selling product is sure a keeper.

Last edited by zzzehar : 21st August 2011 at 00:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks