Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:23   #16
BANNED

Re: Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.

From the front, it looks exciting bur rear gives an impression of Dzire.
C pillar is creating lot of blind spot.
Though interior pics is not clear but from the looks of it, it looks quite dull.
Pricing will decide its fate, looks like it will compete with entry level Sedans.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nothing really to rave about at all. Looks are decent, though not something that can attract customers, neither is the interior.

Should still do decent numbers, but only if it goes up against the likes of the Etios, Manza, Dzire brigade rather than the SX4, City, Vento, Verna, Linea brigade.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:38   #18
BHPian

Initially when the spyshots were released i remember everyone comparing it to the Dzire. But now it definitely looks much better than the Dzire. No radical styling elements like ANHV but looks ok.

But the interiors seem so cheap. Especially the all grey dash and plastic like steering wheel would drive customers away.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:41   #19
BHPian

Please none, offend none design. No masculine lines, no flared wheel arches and no chrome (except the front grill). But still the car looks okay and miles ahead of Dzire/Etios styling.

If Nissan prices it correctly (a little below City), they have will a winner. But, a Diesel is a must! Place the petrol below City and the diesel below Vento.

All these after strengthening your dealership network and A.S.S!
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:43   #20
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2011 at 20:39.
siddutta is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:45   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to say but for an "unveiling" there is precious little information here. Some more interior shots are needed (why Nissan kept the doors shut is anybody's guess!)

The red looks lovely and the car looks decent up front- sort of like a baby Teana. Am surprised at the Sunny name since there was a fair level of confidence that this would be called something else.

The rear is pretty horrendous- the boot lid looks like it was raised a few inches at the last minute! Can't comment till I see it in the flesh but could be an eyesore like the Dzire. And I seriously doubt Nissan's ability to price it against the Dzire- they will probably go C+ with this.

Looks another failed Nissan in the making. Pity really.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:50   #22
BHPian

Exterior looks quite good and gives initial impression that its quite longer than Dzire , Etios.

Interiors are Bland with just a single shade with few silver highlights.They could have used Beige to freshen things.

Could generate decent numbers if priced in range of Dzire, otherwise if priced in City,Vento league its a no goner.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

I actually disagree with a lot of comments about how this car will do poorly in India. We can't take one badly exposed picture to decided whether the interiors are decent or not. Take a look at these PR pics:
NISSAN | PRODUCT INFORMATION | Nissan | Sunny

This car could be the spiritual successor to the NHC. That car sold a lot and it wasn't a looker either. The selling points were great interior space, very frugal engine and huge boot. The Sunny seems to have all that going for it. If its priced right, it may just surprise many people with its success. This could be Nissan's first real seller India.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure the diesel will sport the same 1.5 litre dCi mill. This engine is becoming ubiquitous in the Renault-Nissan stable powering all the segments like Fiat's MJD. My only grouse is that it's noisy and an 8 valve engine; pretty old tech IMHO.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:08   #25
BHPian

The exterior design could grow on you over time, but what about the interiors? Really dated, IMHO. The New Dzire - YP8 Notch Back, with better interiors - is slated for a November release - and could potentially gobble up the Sunny's market share before the Sunny has even settled down properly. I wonder why the new launches nowadays are are not very forward thinking. Feel - good interiors should be as basic a thing as the proverbial Roti/Kapda/Makaan!

The only thing new I think that the Sunny could bring to the table is a start/stop button. How I wish I am wrong!

We desperately need healthier competition in the entry level midsizers. Design Appeal wise, Not a single car here is worth writing home about! Heck, personally speaking, even the Aveo and the Fiesta Classic look better than the current lot of Etios, Dzire, Manza, Verito, et al. And I say this when I am a both Manza & an Etios fan.

Just compare this with what is happening a segment above. None of the City/Vento/Verna/Fiesta/Linea is ugly. And they're being proactive, trying to take competition head on. Just see the City's revival! That's what's missing in the entry level sedan segment.

Guys sorry for the rant, just had to vent out true feelings on the forum!
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:12   #26
BHPian

Well, looks like a plain Jane for me. It looks good in parts though. For me, front looks more like Tata Manza and the back like Optra. And the interiors are even worse. A straight forward lift from Micra.

But as others have pointed out, pricing is the key. Should be in the range of Dzire, Etios, which will give some heat to the mid size sedan market some heat.

I've personally driven Micra many times and I like it. A small and peppy car. Only thing that kept me away was the wafer thin dealer network and unknown cost of ownership.

Hope this one keeps up with our expectations.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Should be a decent alternative to the Manza/DZire/Etios, especially the frugal 1.5 dci variant. Does not seem to possess any stand-out quality that would make it a segment leader, but a worthy option in its segment, much like the Micra.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

No specs yet - but I am fairly confident that this is exactly the Versa that is sold in US. It should be a bit taller than the regular sedans and have a chunky rear end. Wishing that they price this sensibly to take the fight to dzire and Manza.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:46   #29
BHPian

Saw the test-mule a month back on Mount Road stuck in traffic near the Sundaram Honda signal. Inspite of the masking, it looked huge( bigger than ANHC & Vento) visually and had the unmistakable Nissan cues.
On 2nd thought, I HATE the boot. Someone in the forum called the Dzire a pregnant buffalo and the boot somehow brings exactly the same feeling to my mind.
Nissan needs to tell people that they are the No.2 Jap car-maker and a lot of branding is required for people to actually accept a car( howmuchever brilliant it is) in India. Plus ofcourse " Kitna Deti hai? ". The main selling points need to be
1. Brand visibility.
2. Mileage.
3.Mileage.
4. Mileage.
5.Mileage.
6.maybe ***.
7. Everything else incl safety, comfort, airbags etc.
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:28   #30
Team-BHP Support

Looks like a slightly scaled down Sylphy. Quite a safe and uninspiring Nissan (sunny was always like that). The plus is it does not look like a Micra with a boot. Could go directly against the likes of SX4.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks