Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 21:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana View Post
Is it really practically possible in India? Where in India can i get the remap done by experienced guys who know what they are doing. please give me some references in bangalore or hyderabad
The timing that you mentioned in regards to BMW 320d, Accord V6, Kizashi and others, is difficult to achieve in real conditions on the street with Climate that we have here in India. Even some of the best drivers here in India will not be available to achieve those timing mentioned by the manufacturers.
Firstly as I mentioned it's not always about HP, how often does one go flat out from standstill. In real situation what matters is in gear acceleration and what helps the most is the Torque. A turbocharged or supercharged car with higher Torque figures will always drive better and perform better in terms of acceleration compared to Normally Aspirated engines. However the latter will have more advantage in terms of Top speed. A good combination of HP and torque coming out of turbocharged engine with direct injection system has a clear advantage.

In regards to your query on remaps there are many choices. What remaps does in general, it will boost the turbo pressure, calibrate air & fuel ratio precisely, engine timing and others. For VW engines the best one could opt for is remap from Custom Code UK, Revo Technik, APR. The one issue that comes with remap is a Spike in torque delivery, that could burn up the clutch kit in long run. It's always safe to have a remap that is bit conservative in terms of numbers in general.
There are some tuners in Europe that could also provide various turbo kit for 2.0Tfsi producing upto 400HP or more.

You best bet would be to contact Peter at Petes.com who does remap available from custom code uk here.
Old 12th June 2011, 00:28   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The new BMW 320D has been upgraded from the old 160 bhp 2ltr engine to the new 184bhp 2ltr engine. you can see the specs in bmw india website and also the 0-100kmph times. it really does it in 7.6 seconds.

Are you saying the new 3.5ltr 275bhp Accord V6 can't do 0-100 under 8 sec? Hmm.. now that's hard to believe.
The Bimmer was 170 odd bhp before the upgrade and not 160. Have you timed it that you know it does it in 7.6? You are just reading claimed figures, which are achieved under perfect conditions with perfect launches. It takes more than 8 seconds.

The new 3.5l Accord is not any faster than my 3.0 Accord till about 160. From then on with pulls past 200 with more ease than mine. So yes its not under 8 seconds. Its still a front wheel drive, so traction in first gear is not good at all.

Quote:
i think you are talking about kizashi cvt(auto transmission) or awd model. the manual transmission kizashi does it just under 8 sec according to car & driver magazine
Again magazine figures. The climate here is much hotter and the fuel isn't as good as the U.S.
Old 12th June 2011, 07:19   #48
BHPian

After reading all the messages, I am now convinced about buying Laura VRs, but i hope the petrol prices won't shoot through the roof by the time they launch it in Sept. otherwise i might have to consider buying a diesel car
Old 12th June 2011, 08:14   #49
BHPian

following is the text found in a website. it quotes autocar india about information on skoda laura vrs launch this september:

Skoda’s haloed RS badge will return this in the form of the new Laura RS which is expected to launch before Diwali this year.
According to Autocar India, The Laura RS would make do with the standard Laura’s 1.8-litre TSI engine instead of the 200bhp 2.0-litre TSI motor which the international version comes with. This could be because of the ever increasing price of petrol which would make the larger engine too expensive to run. However the Laura RS would have 160bhp of power which is more than the 150bhp which the Octavia RS came with.
Skoda will give the Laura RS a full body kit including a new front bumper side and rear skirts, larger diameter wheels, fatter tyres, LED lights, chrome exhaust and a rear spoiler. The interior too will have leather seats, a meatier steering, gear knob and vRS badging. Would buyers shell out the extra dough for the cosmetic upgrade? We would just have to wait and see.

After all its the same old laura 1.8tsi but they are trying to dress it up and pass it off as a sports car... its a bit hard to digest after knowing that in the UK the octavia VRs has a 2ltr tsi 200bhp engine but Skoda decided not to get this engine to India. especially after all the hype at delhi auto show, this comes as a bit of a damp squib. Skoda India has chickened out at the last minute when they had the oppurtunity to launch a true blue sports car and redefine the sports segment scenario in indian automobile history and instead compromised power for lesser pricing and more fuel efficiency
Old 12th June 2011, 10:32   #50
mxx
BHPian

Skoda was never interested in bringing the real vrs here. The only likely reason they are bringing a modified 1.8 as a vrs now maybe to keep interest and to maintain sales next year, because the new gen laura is coming in 2013.
Old 12th June 2011, 10:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx
Skoda was never interested in bringing the real vrs here. The only likely reason they are bringing a modified 1.8 as a vrs now maybe to keep interest and to maintain sales next year, because the new gen laura is coming in 2013.
Also because the new Jetta is around the corner & if it has the same tsi motor, Skoda will be in trouble.
Old 12th June 2011, 11:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
but aren't they trying to fool the indians. just cosmetically dressing up laura 1.8tsi and trying to pass it off as a sports car. after all they know VRs has a cult following among enthusiasts in India and they are trying to cash in on that. They are just putting some lightweight alloys, skirts, spoiler,new front bumper, led lights, new exhaust and VRs badgre doesn't cut much ice. i mean atleast if this is going to be a sporty car, it should have better suspension and handling, brakes etc. the upgrade to VRs from laura seems to be entirely cosmetic and none performance wise.
Old 12th June 2011, 11:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana

but aren't they trying to fool the indians. just cosmetically dressing up laura 1.8tsi and trying to pass it off as a sports car. after all they know VRs has a cult following among enthusiasts in India and they are trying to cash in on that. They are just putting some lightweight alloys, skirts, spoiler,new front bumper, led lights, new exhaust and VRs badgre doesn't cut much ice. i mean atleast if this is going to be a sporty car, it should have better suspension and handling, brakes etc. the upgrade to VRs from laura seems to be entirely cosmetic and none performance wise.
Suspension will be lower & stiffer. This has been confirmed by Hormozad from Autocar. Let's wait for a TD.
Old 12th June 2011, 11:49   #54
Team-BHP Support

Aren’t we going a bit negative here? For me, a Skoda RS with 1.8 TSI / 160bhp is more than adequate for our conditions. The 1.8 TSI is no slouch, and I seriously doubt if the 2.0 TSI motor can cope with our fuel quality in the current state.

And think of this – if they launch the RS with 2.0 TSI, it will surely bump into Superb territory, and the next immediate negativity will be on overpricing.

For me, it’s a positive move from Skoda, and many who are worried about Skoda not giving a fully-loaded petrol Laura will be rejoiced with this move.

I for one, is already looking forward for the official T-Bhp review of the RS
Old 12th June 2011, 11:55   #55
BHPian

I agree. It's a Laura tsi with all the features we have been drooling for.
Old 12th June 2011, 12:31   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

The Laura vRS with a 200 Bhp under the hood would have been the real USP for the vRS. But I guess Skoda feels compelled to keep the costs down and hence opted to stick with the standard 1.8 TSi, which is no slouch either. Skoda knows that the VRS is not going to set the sales charts on fire, so importing a separate motor just for the RS would have been a tough decision to make for the bosses at Skoda. Car makers always look to share as many parts across their range as possible.

I think vRS buyers would be buying the car for that real extra muscle that it is going to have compared to the stock car , not just show on the outside.
Old 12th June 2011, 12:35   #57
BHPian

will it have DSG + Paddle Shift ?
Old 12th June 2011, 12:43   #58
Team-BHP Support

I'm still hoping it will come with the 170bhp 2.0 tdi
Old 12th June 2011, 12:55   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm still hoping it will come with the 170bhp 2.0 tdi
Noticed that UK has both the petrol and diesel options for vRS. And the diesel comes with the very same 2.0 TDI CR 170ps. But I guess we are getting only the petrol version.
Old 12th June 2011, 14:14   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Noticed that UK has both the petrol and diesel options for vRS. And the diesel comes with the very same 2.0 TDI CR 170ps. But I guess we are getting only the petrol version.
Exactly why I think it should be launched too. Diesels are much more efficient, even when your ripping it. And it will be as fast as the 1.8tsi.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks