Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 13:47   #166
BHPian

re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Agreed, the Tsi is softly sprund and has a high GC. It actually makes for a comfortable ride and makes me feel less worried while taking it to places, where it was a nightmere for my NHC or the Octy Tpi (places like Konkan or even Dombivali, for that matter). And it's stll decent handler compared to the NHC, et al. Do you really think it's a boat??? That honor goes to new Hyundai Verna IMO.
The GC is a blessing. I recently loaded 2 "healthy" co-passengers and crawled over the most challenging bump I know in town- The Laura passed the test! But even on handling, i took a fast corner at 80-85 kmph and felt no roll at all, where my OHC would be all over the place at that speed. I think if one were to position it for driving dynamics and comfort, it would lie somewhere between the Altis on one end and the 3-series (perhaps even the upcoming Laura RS) on the other. I would actually not even bring Verna into this discussion
Old 25th August 2011, 14:09   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
GTO, hope that was an exaggeration to make the point that the RS should have sportier suspension than the stock, to make it an "RS"! Coz, the "boat" description is more suited for cars like the old Verna, not so much the 2009 Laura, which in my (limited) experience has rather good handling and pretty decent mechanical set-up for a sporty drive.
As others mentioned you can't compare with the Verna. Compared to the earlier vRS the TSi is softly sprung and it rolls a fair bit. Don't compare with Altis, Verna, NHC and the likes.

As GTO mentioned the vRS has to have a lowered and stiffened suspension like the earlier vRS. vRS stands for Victor Rally Sport so if they add beige, high profile tyres and softer suspension it does not deserve the badge.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:34   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
As others mentioned you can't compare with the Verna. Compared to the earlier vRS the TSi is softly sprung and it rolls a fair bit. Don't compare with Altis, Verna, NHC and the likes.
As GTO mentioned the vRS has to have a lowered and stiffened suspension like the earlier vRS. vRS stands for Victor Rally Sport so if they add beige, high profile tyres and softer suspension it does not deserve the badge.
Agree. Laura RS needs to be adequately differentiated from the stock TSI to deserve the legendary badge (and the rumoured price differential of 3-4 L). Skoda clearly can't pull of this scam by merely giving funky color options and exterior sports kit to the normal Laura and sell it as the RS version. I wouldn't lay too much importance to leather seats, sunroof, ACC and frills like those as far as the RS franchise is concerned.
Have the actual specs for the India-bound RS been revealed yet? Looking forward to this "Halo" variant hit the markets soon.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:06   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Right.

Like Octy vRS was compared with Octy Tpi, Laura vRS will be compared with Laura Tsi. So I thought it will surely come with RS grade suspension. Comparison with Verna came to minds due to the "boat" analogy .

Not sure what triggered this discussion that Laura RS will be only cosmetic (I kind of lost track).

Suspension can not been seen from the photographs anyways, but I am sure Skoda is not Honda - who brought in a sports version of Civic which was a joke.

Laura vRS will be a smashing car to drive, I think. But Tsi allows you to enjoy all that power in a more practical package on Indian roads. Personally, I think the best vRS would be one that allows 2 suspension modes - sports and comfort.

Engine is a gem already.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 22:51   #170
Senior - BHPian

The Laura vRS is featured on the Sept issue of TG Mag. Looks same as what GTO posted. TG says the vRS has the same 1.8 TSi engine, slightly reworked suspension, bigger tyres, cornering xenons etc.

From the pictures, the interior looks really nice with an overall black theme. But the car sits too tall. It looks like a poser on the outside, and is simply not in the same league as the mighty old vRS. Skoda should have done better, much better.
Old 26th August 2011, 18:34   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Some information from Skoda confirming that the launch the Laura Vrs is on Aug 31st.
https://www.facebook.com/SkodaIndia?sk=app_11007063052

So it is officially confirmed!
Old 26th August 2011, 19:36   #172
Team-BHP Support

As rightly mentioned by deetjohn, according to Top Gear India, who have penned an initial driving impression of the VRS slated for launch in India, Skoda has reworked the existing suspension - only slightly, and the steering is good too. And there are some features on it, like self-adjusting Xenons, cornering-lights, headlight-washers and 6-airbags, and bigger tyres.

The cosmetic mods include a fresh bumper with LED daytime-running lights, alloy-wheels (no bigger than the ones on the tsi), a boot-spoiler and snazzy-paint-jobs.

The engine remains the same. Altough it's a gem of an engine, Skoda would have done good if they had plonked either the 2-liter 200 horsepower engine from the 'real' vRS, or maybe the much talked about 170 horsepower diesel lump.

Looks like you need to make a quick stop at your local Pete's products-franchise after picking up this car from the showroom.
Old 26th August 2011, 20:06   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The cosmetic mods include a fresh bumper with LED daytime-running lights, alloy-wheels (no bigger than the ones on the tsi), a boot-spoiler and snazzy-paint-jobs.
Are you sure about the wheels? The TSI currently have 15” wheels as standard. I was expecting the vRS to have atleast 16” or 17” wheels.
Old 26th August 2011, 20:39   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Are you sure about the wheels? The TSI currently have 15” wheels as standard. I was expecting the vRS to have atleast 16” or 17” wheels.
Oh, no I'm not completely sure about the wheels. They may be 16". They look like a smaller version of those you get on the actual vRS, in other markets. They don't look too shabby, but could do with better and bigger wheels, I'd say.

TG states that it wears bigger tyres. Nothing on the wheels.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 17:55   #175
BHPian

Mailer received this afternoon from Skoda dealer. We now know confirmed dates and venues.

Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-final-mailers-customer05.jpg
skjlives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 18:31   #176
Senior - BHPian

From the above pic the gear shift it is a manual. Not a DSG !!!! But again there are paddle shifts there.

Can a car be a manual with paddle shifts ????

And RPM meter shows it is a Diesel Engine !!!!

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 27th August 2011 at 18:37.
Old 27th August 2011, 18:41   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
From the above pic the gear shift it is a manual. Not a DSG !!!! But again there are paddle shifts there.

Can a car be a manual with paddle shifts ????

And RPM meter shows it is a Diesel Engine !!!!
Extract from email I got. Hope that clarifies some aspects. And I wouldn't go by these pictures, but will wait for the actual launch and specs announcement. Copy paste has it's own perils as we are all well aware!

"...The new Rally Sport version ties the performance of the TSI engine to a dynamically sharper chassis; and, is presented in a visual package that is inimitably RS. The short-shifting 6-speed manual gearbox let’s you hold maximum engine speed in each gear, culminating in a thoroughly engaging drive.."

Last edited by skjlives : 27th August 2011 at 18:45.
Old 27th August 2011, 19:03   #178
BHPian

This might be the most exciting launch of Skoda India, well since the Octavia RS itself. I just hope it has 200+ horses.
Can't wait to drive it!
Old 27th August 2011, 19:35   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Extract from email I got. Hope that clarifies some aspects. And I wouldn't go by these pictures, but will wait for the actual launch and specs announcement. Copy paste has it's own perils as we are all well aware!

"...The new Rally Sport version ties the performance of the TSI engine to a dynamically sharper chassis; and, is presented in a visual package that is inimitably RS. The short-shifting 6-speed manual gearbox let’s you hold maximum engine speed in each gear, culminating in a thoroughly engaging drive.."
there is a website mentioned in the invitation. Site Under Construction. Under construction apparently. From pictures DSG is for sure and may be TDi even. Given a 17 inch wheels and improved suspension, that will be a killer
Old 27th August 2011, 20:39   #180
BHPian

Top Gear has covered the Laura vRS and the pictures clearly show 6 speed manual. The article states that its essentially Laura TSi with reworked suspensions, bigger tyres and vRS look. vRS seems to be trying to score only from the looks department with very little to give in the performance department when compared to standard Laura.

Hopefully, Skoda would think about getting a more powerful vRS to entice people to upgrade from a regular Laura 1.8 TSi to vRS.

Cheers,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks