Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 12:40   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I would suggest you take one more TD from some other dealer, most of the TD vehicles are badly maintained.
I got a call from the dealership. Have told them in detail about this incident. Hopefully they will fix the issue and send me a Gold for a test driving again.

My concern is not that a Sumo brakes badly. But that if something is not in tune then it behaves so badly. Don't like to take chances and that is my concern.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:58   #257
Senior - BHPian

Tyres may also be the reason, Sumo comes with a sad skinny tyres. first thing you you will need to do is get them replaced.

As mentioned when i TD the Gold, in ghat/down hill the vehicle was well composed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I got a call from the dealership. Have told them in detail about this incident. Hopefully they will fix the issue and send me a Gold for a test driving again.

My concern is not that a Sumo brakes badly. But that if something is not in tune then it behaves so badly. Don't like to take chances and that is my concern.
Old 31st May 2013, 18:56   #258
BHPian

Sumo Gold facelift will be launched on 15th June 2013 along with facelift eCS.The new changes includes split Ac , alloy wheels , blue tooth connectivity and screen touch controls.It is claimed that aggresive steps have been taken in facelift Sumo. I hope that would include ABS and more comfortable seats.
koushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 19:46   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
Sumo Gold facelift will be launched on 15th June 2013 along with facelift eCS.The new changes includes split Ac , alloy wheels , blue tooth connectivity and screen touch controls.It is claimed that aggresive steps have been taken in facelift Sumo. I hope that would include ABS and more comfortable seats.
Welcome , but c'mon not another one.
When will Tata stop facelifting it and giving it a proper upgrade. Taking the ICE from Manza and some fancy alloys is not going to make it.
They should come up with something serious to fight the Bolero.
Old 1st June 2013, 12:07   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Welcome , but c'mon not another one.
When will Tata stop facelifting it and giving it a proper upgrade. Taking the ICE from Manza and some fancy alloys is not going to make it.
They should come up with something serious to fight the Bolero.
Bolero has more brand recall, + the 4X4 version, as compared to Sumo, which contribute to its sales. But, it is the Sumo which trumps the former on all parameters - Space, reliability, performance, ride comfort, etc. In fact, Sumo also happens to be most reliable Tata to own IMO. The interiors of Sumo are better put together as compared to Bolero's which are more snazzy (digital meter, etc), which maybe a plus for rural folks.

Few days back I observed a packed Bolero while driving back home, & noted that the 3rd row of side facing seats was as cramped as the Quanto (okay... okay... maybe bit better & airy than Quanto). Yet I find buyers & rural singers praising the same, as if it were LR Evoque .

IMO Sumo suffers because of Tata image & cheap (as Chinese) A.S.S.... & I wish Cyrus could pay heed to these.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 12:55   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
What do you mean by Split AC? do you mean Auto Climate Control or Dual AC? I too would like to see it with ABS and Airbags.
Old 1st June 2013, 13:14   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
What do you mean by Split AC? do you mean Auto Climate Control or Dual AC? I too would like to see it with ABS and Airbags.
Separate blower for the rear seats
koushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 14:28   #263
Senior - BHPian

I think Tata are pushing the Sumo too far, it has been with them since 1995 and still looks the same as it looked way back then. The dead giveaway is that metal feel you get when you close the doors, you get the same feeling in a Maruti 800 and the Omni

What they need is a fresh design which will sit a lot more planted unlike the Grande which looks narrow and tall

Tata could also give the Grande a huge price-cut to make up for huge losses that they would have run up on that model not performing as expected

Something to look forward to in June now, bring-it-on Tata
Old 1st June 2013, 15:36   #264
Senior - BHPian

Well, I agree with Arun here. They can start the Gold from 4.75 Lakhs as they would have definitely recovered the cost of a Sumo tooling over the years. Also, they should start the Grande from 5.15 Lakhs.
Old 1st June 2013, 20:57   #265
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree from the above posts. Cars which manufacturers are selling for nearly a decade or more, must now cost really cheap. That's one of the only ways for them to sell those models in the market. Except the ones which are a hit in taxi market like Indica and Sumo.

Else yes, sumo gold should start at below 5 lakh and the Grande must be below Six. Same way, Tata must now position the Indica squarely with the Alto K10 category, ie base price somewhere around Rs 3.10-3.20 lakh. At that price I am sure it'll be very competitive.
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:01   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Bolero has more brand recall, + the 4X4 version, as compared to Sumo, which contribute to its sales. But, it is the Sumo which trumps the former on all parameters - Space, reliability, performance, ride comfort, etc. In fact, Sumo also happens to be most reliable Tata to own IMO. The interiors of Sumo are better put together as compared to Bolero's which are more snazzy (digital meter, etc), which maybe a plus for rural folks.

Few days back I observed a packed Bolero while driving back home, & noted that the 3rd row of side facing seats was as cramped as the Quanto (okay... okay... maybe bit better & airy than Quanto). Yet I find buyers & rural singers praising the same, as if it were LR Evoque .

IMO Sumo suffers because of Tata image & cheap (as Chinese) A.S.S.... & I wish Cyrus could pay heed to these.
With whatever the limited knowledge I have I was of the opinion that a Bolero is far reliable and affordable to maintain as compared to Sumo especially if the roads on which the vehicle is used is bad like a rural scenario.
I know Sumo has improved by leaps and bounds but still felt that the Bolero was more reliable and thats why its selling in huge numbers.
On other fronts like space,comfort,ride quality,performance I totally agree that Sumo beats the crap out of a Bolero.
But it was my opinion that Bolero sells for its ruggedness, high reliability and its ability to sustain the rural roads torture. Also I feel it has better dynamic handling on rough terrain as compared to the top heavy Sumo.
Correct me If I am wrong.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:37   #267
Senior - BHPian

Please refer few of examples (all are close acquaintances):

First : One of my friends in Uttarakhand bought a brand new Bolero (top end with 4X4), & within 3 months they exchanged the same with a Scorpio SLE. The reason being the front axle gave way while driving through their field (they are agriculturist/ farmers with large chunk of land).

They lost substantial money in the exchange as the dealer made a killing.

Second : My FIL's elder brother (in town in Haryana) bought a Bolero, upon instance from his only son, it suffered numerous problems - poor performance, AC, electricals & what not. They sold off the Bolero & bought a Sumo. The father & son are more happy now. In fact, they make regular day trips over 500 km in the Sumo as compared to Bolero, which they dreaded to do in Bolero.

Third : My cousin sis, married to commercial pilot, bought a Safari VX (4x2) just after her marriage. They have travelled miles & places in single day (whenever her husband is at home), & never had been stranded in remote place, or faced a single problem that Tata distractors in TBHP claim. In fact, they have rubbished their parents' suggestion to buy the Fortuner or Endeavour.

I wonder if Tata are biased to customers up North, whom they supply reliable products, or its just my acquaintances who have better experience with Tata.

BTW, it is a known fact that Sumo is amongst the most reliable Tata products, & I believe GTO has also mentioned the same somewhere in the forum.
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:45   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@cardeep:

Frankly I don't particularly like the Sumo or the Bolero. If I where forced to buy either of them I would probably pick the Sumo, but end of the day our opinions and the opinions of our friends and family don't matter in the large picture. The better products as perceived by the larger market prevail...

Do you think Bolero can be the a shoddy product and remain the best selling SUV in India for many years? Are the 8000 odd people who buy it every month ignorant folks? Sumo definitely has it's positives, but it needs to go a long long way to dethrone the Bolero in the market..
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:32   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
With whatever the limited knowledge I have I was of the opinion that a Bolero is far reliable and affordable to maintain as compared to Sumo especially if the roads on which the vehicle is used is bad like a rural scenario.
I know Sumo has improved by leaps and bounds but still felt that the Bolero was more reliable and thats why its selling in huge numbers.
On other fronts like space,comfort,ride quality,performance I totally agree that Sumo beats the crap out of a Bolero.
But it was my opinion that Bolero sells for its ruggedness, high reliability and its ability to sustain the rural roads torture. Also I feel it has better dynamic handling on rough terrain as compared to the top heavy Sumo.
Correct me If I am wrong.
I think Bolero has advantage of longer wheelbase which in turn gives better stability.
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:40   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@cardeep:

Frankly I don't particularly like the Sumo or the Bolero. If I where forced to buy either of them I would probably pick the Sumo, but end of the day our opinions and the opinions of our friends and family don't matter in the large picture. The better products as perceived by the larger market prevail...

Do you think Bolero can be the a shoddy product and remain the best selling SUV in India for many years? Are the 8000 odd people who buy it every month ignorant folks? Sumo definitely has it's positives, but it needs to go a long long way to dethrone the Bolero in the market..
I never said that Bolero is bad as a Lada, but, we all have experiences. My personal experience with the Sumo & Bolero is that the latter is cramped even in second seat, & have been comfortable in a Sumo even in the hills (maybe it was the driver who drove it better), & then there are experiences of my known ones. At present, I feel that Sumo has overall edge over the Bolero for me... & that's a heart thing, not caring about sales numbers.

If you refer the last line in my last post you would get a fair bit idea why I think so (though I also admit being jittery since the last few days about Tata vehicles, especially ACM selling his Aria & hinting few problems he might have faced).

Last edited by CARDEEP : 3rd June 2013 at 13:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks