Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 20:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Maintaining a Hyundai can now make you bankrupt. The labour rates are shockingly expensive in Delhi. Managed to get the new rates, but the first part is poorly clicked, apologies or that.

Some increased rates for santro/ i10:
  • paid service: 950
  • washing/cleaning: 335
  • alignment: 335
  • throttle body cleaning: 115
  • wheel balancing: 320
  • cross member bolt greasing: 450
Eon is also shockingly expensive to maintain.
  • paid service: 890
  • washing/ cleaning: 300
  • alignment: 300
  • throttle body cleaning: 100
  • wheel balancing: 290
  • wheel alignment: 300
Rest of the rates are being uploaded for you all to see.

Column 1: Eon
Column 2: Santro and i10
Column 3: getz and i20
Column 4: accent and verna
Column 5: elantra
Column 6: Tucson
Column 7: Sonata
Column 8: Santa Fe and terracan

And all their workshops are indulging in new scam by forcing the customers to go for engine additives (Rs. 1200) and useless 350 rupees battery and seat recliner treatment which smells like a lipstick.

Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!-1.jpg

Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!-2.jpg

Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!-3.jpg

Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!-4.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 6th November 2011 at 21:12.
sidindica is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 21:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintaining a HYUNDAI can now just make you bankrupt. Labour rates increased AGAI

@sidindica--can you please take the trouble of posting the prior rates? That way we will get to know the percentage of increase.

Regarding the scam of engine additives, even other manufacturers are guilty of it, including Maruti.
Old 6th November 2011, 22:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintaining a HYUNDAI can now just make you bankrupt. Labour rates increased AGAI

I have been maintaining and running the Elantra GLS (petrol) (now out of production) without any problems and fleecing by Hyundai whatsoever. The car was bought new and is with me for the last 6 years, after the warranty was over I service it once a year being a sparingly run petrol. In fact, my experience has been so good that some Swift's (petrol) had higher service charges as compared to my car. I get my car serviced at HMP, Chennai. So I really don't mind the 7-8 kmpl fuel efficiency it delivers in today's times of skyrocketing gasoline prices. I shall repeat (ad nauseum) my service charges for 6 years haven't topped Rs.20k, what more can one want from a car.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 6th November 2011 at 22:48.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 22:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Got my i10 serviced just 2 days back. Just the paid service charges were 950 + tax. in addition, consumerables like air filter, oil (800 odd + tax), cleaning etc. Total bill was around 4200 (included waxing on the outside). Its simply exorbitant for a small car!
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 23:07   #5
rbp
BHPian

Hyundai loots customers, for the first paid service of my i20 CRDI, I was charged around 5k, inspite of me giving them the oil, if the oil was included then the price would have been 6k+. For wheel alignment and balancing they charge 1k+ which I find hard to digest.

Note:- For my bro's fortuner the paid service charge is 3k including oil. Hats off to Toyota.
Old 7th November 2011, 00:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai service charges has increased considerably in the last one year.

AFAIK, cleaning/washing cost is included in Paid service cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Hyundai loots customers, for the first paid service of my i20 CRDI, I was charged around 5k, inspite of me giving them the oil, if the oil was included then the price would have been 6k+. For wheel alignment and balancing they charge 1k+ which I find hard to digest.
Insane.
Can you share the break up of 5k ?
Old 7th November 2011, 00:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Well at least these labour rates are still much, much less than what people pay in the US and UK. Can't imagine how many complains there would be then. IMO its good that the labourers are getting paid more (I hope they do get part of this) since most are very underpaid in India.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 00:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
IMO its good that the labourers are getting paid more (I hope they do get part of this) since most are very underpaid in India.
+1
HOpe the labours are getting paid more.

I used to pay about 7k to 8k for my accent CRDi 2 years back. But the 70k service sealed the deal for me. I was charged 17k for decarbonaization and other stuff. And the problems started immediately after decarbonization. There was a sudden loss of power while accelerating (Not due to clutch slippage) and the engine would die immediately and again automatically gain power once the RPM came down to 1000.

After a few more kms at 75k, that was it. I went to showroom with problem and the estimates for repair were humongous. So had to sell it off.

That is when I thought that I will never buy a Hyundai and even for small budget cars they are expensive to maintain. And their service costs at 10k intervals were similar to German Vehicles (VW and SKODA) 15k interval costs. I thought may be this was a one off case with me, but seeing it Team-BHP, now I dont think that this is just for me.

My 2003 Corolla on the other hand never crossed 2k to 3k Rs for each service that too with excellent courteous toyota staff.

I am now of the opinion that Ford and Hyundai vehicles are expensive to maintain.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 7th November 2011 at 00:52.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 05:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Simple solution to a complex problem, find a good service guy (not the company owned service center) and get it done from him. I don't take my car to Maruti and have not been using MASS for last 2 years. For smaller repairs and service i go to the garage near my house and get it done. Anything major i go to Carnation (Although that will in most probability change the next time i have to do any repairs).
Old 7th November 2011, 07:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

It just doesn't make sense man. In this high inflation era - when everything is going ballistic you think service centers should not increase their labor charges? Its a reality - get used to it.

Else, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I mean, we all get pay hikes, did we earlier crib about them? Everything in the economy rises in sync. How I'd wish that I'd get a hike but my outgo actually reduces. Just doesn't happen.
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 08:13   #11
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Fortunately for us is that the new cars have 1 year service intervals unlike to the previous generation which had service intervals of 6 months. This could also be the reason for this hike but we may not be out of pocket too much.

Cheers
Old 7th November 2011, 09:39   #12
BHPian

Hyundai service was already expensive. I am now thinking of servicing my 2.5 year old Getz prime outside of Hyundai A.S.S. Which are some good options in Bangalore? How is Carnation?
Old 7th November 2011, 10:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

I dont find anything wrong with those prices. Of course, the ASC can charge you multiple entries of N number of those jobs and make a heafty bill. So one should be sure, which jobs he/she wants to get carried out on his/her car. And this goes for all the cars.. not just Hyundai.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 10:31   #14
BHPian

I think the service charges looks alright. FNG are cheaper but the quality of parts is questionable. In the long run OEM wins. Also the service intervals are longer now. Also for some cars the general service may be cheaper but when the service is for major repairs small cars are cheaper. just my 2 cents. I have always owned fords and recently a santro. I think both the costs are pretty justifiable.
Old 7th November 2011, 11:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

I think Hyundai needs to keep a check on those prices specially since they are now looking to compete with the Alto. Consumers in that segment will obviously weigh the after sales cost quite seriously. And competing with maruti after sales cost is not going to be easy. I remember when I used to get my Santro serviced from the Hyundai A.S.S and they always used to turn up with a bill of around 4000-5000 even after getting the bare minimal done. I always used to rule out things like engine decarbonising, alignment and balancing etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks