Old 6th January 2012, 16:26   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

So, After a long wait,

1. Looks - Mixed feelings
2. Driveablity - Yet to be tested.
3. Interiors - Improved a lot.
4. Equipment - Not much either.

Only big hope is on the price and a T.D by T-BHP, of course.
Old 6th January 2012, 16:31   #137
BHPian

It's a mixed bag, this 'upgrade'; for someone who has been eyeing the Safari since years.

If this is the net result of ~ 2 years of Dev & Test, then it speaks volumes about:
1. TML's commitment to Safari as a brand &
2. Quality of its R&D and Design folks.

Note the market context in which this launch occurs - its primary foe does ~5000/pm & its primary foe's sibling order book's overfull.
Not to mention entry level SUVs from phoren firms which will be within +2/3 lakhs of Safari's price.
Also consider that TML's last launch (Aria) failed to make any waves in the marketplace and currently running huge discounts.

In such a market scenario, this 'upgrade' falls short on 3 counts -
- Looks (Safari's ONLY existing plus),
- Features &
- Cosmetic (Interiors).
Though, the upgrade partly covers the most important area, which is Technology - new chassis, better turn radius, all round discs but no AT, no improved power.

The question - Do you like this Safari enough to buy it - is almost irrelevant for a Safari fan.
Why?
Because when someone can love the earlier models - inch-wide panel gaps, low reliability, boat like handling, ambassador like interiors (sorry amby) - they will definitely love this iteration since these issues seem to addressed here.
And also because, the reason most people loved Safari is its Looks and that hasn't changed radically.

So, I don't think its fan base is going to diminish a lot.
All TML has to do is make it 100% reliable & niggle free.
And many many people will lovingly bring it home.
(almost 100% sure this Safari will live up to its infamy too)

But, the real issue is TML serious about this brand?
I'll wait for a few long term ownership reports before answering this.
Old 6th January 2012, 16:43   #138
BHPian

After a decade of seeing old safari the new one has nothing to rave about, they need to learn from M&M on how a product is fine tuned from time to time to make it better ala scorpio

Surely existing owners will be disappointed and new ones left confused
Old 6th January 2012, 16:51   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
The question - Do you like this Safari enough to buy it - is almost irrelevant for a Safari fan.
Why?
Because when someone can love the earlier models - inch-wide panel gaps, low reliability, boat like handling, ambassador like interiors (sorry amby) - they will definitely love this iteration since these issues seem to addressed here.
And also because, the reason most people loved Safari is its Looks and that hasn't changed radically.
P.S. I am one of those Safari fans.

The looks have changed. I believe radically enough. And not in a good way.

Can the rest of the improvements compensate? We will have to wait and see.

And then weigh that against the cost. Not only against the competition outside, but inside (the Safari Classic) as well.
Old 6th January 2012, 16:51   #140
Senior - BHPian

To sum it up the interiors have improved and the exteriors have gone down proportionately down. The exterior looks like a 'Chinese' rehash of the old Safari, which looks good even today, removing that spare wheel from the tail gate is a retrograde step and also does its bit in ruining the looks.
Old 6th January 2012, 16:52   #141
BHPian

OMG!They took off the spare wheel from the tail gate! Its was one of the biggest attention grabbers on the safari and it gave it a proper SUV look. Even if I am in the market for a SUV, i wont buy this....looks (or lack of it) is precisely the reason.
Old 6th January 2012, 16:56   #142
BHPian

I think tata motors need a new design team. They should fire the existing team completely and start with a team of young motorheads / true design wizards. They currently seem to be too "old school" in their approach. May be they should learn something from Mahindra who used to be like them previously but decided to put real emphasis on great design.
My other huge problem with TATA is that since this new model has been launched we will have to wait another decade to see further improvements. So depressing.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 16:57   #143
BHPian

Honestly, the old charm of the Safari is lost... bumpers and side cladding looks very similar to the ones found on the Grande (SUMO)... Not a good thing

Front end looks rather confused (not as confused as the Honda CRV though!!) and the rear end has been mellowed down a bit too much!!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:11   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
OMG!They took off the spare wheel from the tail gate! Its was one of the biggest attention grabbers on the safari and it gave it a proper SUV look. Even if I am in the market for a SUV, i wont buy this....looks (or lack of it) is precisely the reason.
Do you think if we start a "GET THAT TAIL BACK!" online campaign, TATA would reconsider before the official launch?

I guess we could live with the "power bump" front end in that case ...
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:11   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
May be they should learn something from Mahindra who used to be like them previously but decided to put real emphasis on great design.
OT: Mahindra and great design? Any example?

If they are keeping the old safari definitely Storme is going to cost more. Anything above 10L ex showroom (for top end) will not see success.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:11   #146
BHPian

The black safari looks better, but the square cut or straight bumper design doesnt blend with safari's overall design.

Wish safari could hire a better design team.
T1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:14   #147
BHPian

This, definitely is not the Safari that I've always wanted to own one day!
Inspired from JLR or whatever, they've lost it completely. The butch stance and the purposeful lines were Safari's strong points. Sheesh! What have they turned one of the best looking home grown SUV into.
Hope TATA blokes wouldn't do an Aria stunt with the Safari now.

Last edited by jeeva : 6th January 2012 at 17:25.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:21   #148
BHPian

Appreciate the improved interiors in Storme, But Still i wish TATA doesn't stop the current safari production atleast for a year.

I always dream of a new black shiny safari [current one] in my house sometime. And my mind already started to think of fulfilling the dream by this year atleast.

Let me see what TATA is going to decide about my dream , Trust it doesn't shatter it by stopping the production soon.

Last edited by BulZire : 6th January 2012 at 17:30.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:23   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
The black safari looks better, but the square cut or straight bumper design doesnt blend with safari's overall design.

Wish safari could hire a better design team.
I guess that's the whole crux of the last two days! I wish that TATA gave an extended vacation to any design team while designing the Storme.

The external looks did not need to be tampered with at all. 99 out of 100 people polled will tell you that. How could TATA not have known that?????

I have seen a guy here in Hadapsar who has so beautifully plonked an "export" TATA Sierra outer shell (which he managed to get from somewhere) lock stock and barrel over a Tempo Trax frame/chassis/engine.

The job is done so seamlessly that you are left scratching your head as to what vehicle it really is (it looks like a Sierra with a tallish stance/ground clearance). And it has been done in a garage! And it runs beautifully.

Surely TATA could have plonked the existing shell over the shortened X2 frame and done whatever they had to do under the skin?
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:37   #150
LDJ
BHPian

Lotta people still glued onto the old butch design but I feel Tata has tried to get the Range Rover-ish kinda design here with this new design. It has that subtle yet elegant feel to it. Overall this is a better proposition when compared with the existing model. With the wheel-at-the-back gone it will only help matters like parking in a congested place or the the visibility at the back better.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks