Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 21:55   #46
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

For all who are thinking what the interiors of Duster will be like, I got some confy info - as put forward by the sales staff that the dealer, it will not be euro spec but Brazil spec, which is far better and modern. Almost everything is based on the Brazil Spec car, see this;

Renault - Duster
Old 18th January 2012, 09:45   #47
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
For all who are thinking what the interiors of Duster will be like, I got some confy info - as put forward by the sales staff that the dealer, it will not be euro spec but Brazil spec, which is far better and modern. Almost everything is based on the Brazil Spec car, see this;

Renault - Duster
Just checked the images and definitely they look classy. Also, it available in auto and 6-speed manual there.

Checking the prices, i found that it is priced around 15% lesser than Fluence. Not sure if the Fluence spec is same as in India. If they price it right, they can steal the thunder from XUV and Safari. Price it 50-100K less than XUV without all the fancy XUV electronics and this can become their top seller.
Old 18th January 2012, 10:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Price it 50-100K less than XUV without all the fancy XUV electronics and this can become their top seller.
I don't think that Duster can compete with XUV with this little difference in price. In my opinion Duster has its chances if all of its variants are priced between 7-10 lakhs, otherwise again the Indian tendency of "bigger is better" will be counted and Scorpio, Safari etc will keep ruling the mass SUV market and XUV would seem better VFM with countless features and plenty of space then Duster.

Renault's price strategy were always proved impractical in India, this time they should start with lesser features at lower price and then they can gradually increase the price of Duster by adding more features in later versions after once Duster gets hold in the market.
Old 18th January 2012, 10:36   #49
BHPian

Quote:
If they price it right, they can steal the thunder from XUV and Safari. Price it 50-100K less than XUV without all the fancy XUV electronics and this can become their top seller.
I am afraid not. That kind of price difference for Duster (with way less equipment level than XUV) wouldn't put their sales charts on fire. Duster has to be priced around 8-9 lacs on road (a little here and there based on Petrol, Diesel, 2WD and 4WD).
Old 18th January 2012, 11:12   #50
BHPian

I dont understand the positioning of this car, it is not as big as an XUV, I have seen it in person and the design, which I understand is a personal perspective, is outdated and boxy. XUV on the other hand screams modern ( a little too ahead IMO, but that is permissable, this is Mahindra we are talking about.)

On the space wise as well it is smaller, so how can a price reduction of 50,000 compared to XUV, make it a winner.

One more thing Renault is no Mercedes or BMW, heck it aint even VW, its like the FIAT and Suzuki of this world. So if they are planning to position themselves as a premium offering, they are totally of the mark.

I think this car will have a difficult time in the Indian market. Eco sport is more likey going to be a direct competitor and with the good service network and amazing design cues, it already is ahead of the game as far as the Duster is concerned. XUV ,if Mahindra remain on the ground and dont mess up too many things, will also prove to be a massive head ache for the duster. And lets not forget the storme. Tata may be the underdog here, but we know how quickly things change in our market.

Good times for the car buying public ahead is all I can say.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 12:00   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I am afraid not. That kind of price difference for Duster (with way less equipment level than XUV) wouldn't put their sales charts on fire. Duster has to be priced around 8-9 lacs on road (a little here and there based on Petrol, Diesel, 2WD and 4WD).
The pulse sells for 5.7 to 6.4 lacs ex-showroom here. How do you expect them to price Duster at 7.0 ex-showroom?

My guess is they would price the petrol model around 8.0-8.5 lacs and diesel 9.5-10 lacs. They would slot it right in the C-segment sedan category and try to win people over with high GC, boot space, soft roading capabilities etc.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:58   #52
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The Duster in the Brazilian Web site looks much better than the plain jack car that we see being driven in Morocco.

The bumper guard with lights and the side guards make the car look robust. Hope we atleast gets these as accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-duster.jpg  

Old 18th January 2012, 15:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The pulse sells for 5.7 to 6.4 lacs ex-showroom here. How do you expect them to price Duster at 7.0 ex-showroom?

My guess is they would price the petrol model around 8.0-8.5 lacs and diesel 9.5-10 lacs. They would slot it right in the C-segment sedan category and try to win people over with high GC, boot space, soft roading capabilities etc.
The approximate price range quoted by the dealer in Mumbai is 8-11 lacs ex. showroom.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Well the Pulse doesn't really sell. Check numbers on SIAM website. I said 7-8 (here and there) and that was an open-ended number to some reasonable extent.

The bottomline is that they have to price this launch properly or it would just be a dud like many of their other offerings. It is just an assumption by you and me and others (include dealers as well as they are never wiser. You hear things here on this forum first before the dealers know it.) that Duster would be priced sensibly. It is a car that has done very well in other markets (price sensitive) that it was launched in, and Duster is very capable of giving them a very good foothold in India as well.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:34   #55

Just came across some interior pics of the Russian Duster. Seems to be of the same spec as the Brazilian Duster.

Renault Duster
Old 18th January 2012, 16:50   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

The bumper with integrated lights was a little gimmicky but I liked it. Priced right, the Duster should be able to do steady but probably not ground breaking numbers for Renault. The Pulse aside, all their other products have a sense of individuality that appeals to a car buyer.
Old 19th January 2012, 00:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking interiors, a fair improvement over the European spec I had seen before. Hope India gets something as good.
Eagerly awaiting the pricing now. It's a clever niche that the duster and Eco sport are trying to target. It's soon going to be a good time to be a customer with a 10 lac budget
Old 19th January 2012, 03:24   #58
BHPian

IMO, Renault has little chance with Duster if they price anything above 7.5 lacs OTR for the base version and 10 lac OTR for the top version.
Even at these prices, I do not think the duster will dent sales of any SUV. On the other hand, Ford Ecosport has a much better chance of becoming a hit with a correct price.
Renault in India just does not inspire confidence yet. It would be interesting to see how Renault modifies their strategy to adapt to Indian market and sell their vehicles.
Old 19th January 2012, 04:21   #59
BHPian

The Duster is not about looks and interiors, on those grounds it loses badly. The whole reason its been a hit is its robust and well sorted with no pretensions, a back to basics car with good pricing and strong fundamentals hence the great sales figure in a competitive market like europe.

All the reviews shows the handling is very good and its a honest to goodness tough car. I think there is a market for this and it may work for Renault provided they get the pricing right here, positioning it as any kind of luxury is not going to work because its not a luxury vehicle, it even looks quirky and not modern. But there is a reason its got good reviews and is succeeding abroad and that same factors will work here.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 08:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077
Nice looking interiors, a fair improvement over the European spec I had seen before. Hope India gets something as good.
Eagerly awaiting the pricing now. It's a clever niche that the duster and Eco sport are trying to target. It's soon going to be a good time to be a customer with a 10 lac budget
Could not see auto climate control on the Brazil Duster page. I admit, not a deal breaker, but I would so like it on a top spec version!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks