Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Better to bring in products like croma which has received higher ratings from various quarters . It is a very good vehicle with excellent dynamics . Safe and more practical , even driven by the likes of Michael schumacher . Even sedici is a better option given the availability of OEM suppliers for it in India .

Last edited by swathyd : 23rd January 2012 at 22:55.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:07   #32
BHPian

I personally love the wrangler.
I am sure it would do good if launched in India. It looks so much like a Jeep. Very original and clean. We have one in our neighborhood, and it looks awesome.
Love to see them more in India.

But if they are going for this big a vehicle, albeit a CBU, it sure would not click.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:35   #33
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is far superior to cars like the Captiva, Endeavour and the Fortuner. In offroad performance it rivals the very best. Its also an extremely comfortable highway cruiser. Its an impressive machine by any count. Where the challenge exists is in marketing it right and with Fiat that's their biggest weak point.

Considering that the Landcruiser and Range Rovers are hovering around 90+ if they manage to bring this car around 35-40 lacs its a far better option than a BMW X3, Freelander or base Q5 especially when you factor in its serious offroad ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I personally love the wrangler.....It looks so much like a Jeep.
It is a Jeep. Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by DKG : 24th January 2012 at 11:47.
Old 15th April 2012, 16:56   #34
BHPian

Jeep all set to enter India

Just read on Zigwheels, that Jeep is all set to enter India soon with Grand Cherokee and Wrangler.

This is definitely going to change the scene of SUV in India.

Jeep all set to enter India Page - 2| Zigwheels.com

I would love to buy one, provided its priced aggressively in India.
Old 15th April 2012, 17:17   #35
BHPian

Re: Jeep all set to enter India

What kind of hallucinogen are they smoking?

The Wrangler has the same starting price as the grand cherokee in the US. But they're hoping that the former will come in at 35% the price of the latter?
Old 15th April 2012, 18:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
What kind of hallucinogen are they smoking?

The Wrangler has the same starting price as the grand cherokee in the US. But they're hoping that the former will come in at 35% the price of the latter?
Isn't it all about how they want to position their vehicles. You might agree that keeping both Wrangler & Cherokee at the same price range for their launch in India would not be that wise. Instead they will try to target different segment buyers especially in India.

Although i do agree both being almost the same price in US, means they cant differentiate a lot in the pricing of both cars. But i guess we can only wait and watch for the moment.
Old 15th April 2012, 18:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

I would think they will position Grand Cherokee as a highly offroad capable vehicle but luxurious also - and sell lets say the mid - top variant - which globally competes with the X5 and Q7 in space and capabilities. So a 45 lakh price for the mid - top end given the USD pricing of 40k USD + should be fair enough. Not too sure what version of Wrangler they would bring to India, and what is the positioning of the product.
Old 15th April 2012, 18:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Isn't it all about how they want to position their vehicles. You might agree that keeping both Wrangler & Cherokee at the same price range for their launch in India would not be that wise. Instead they will try to target different segment buyers especially in India.

Although i do agree both being almost the same price in US, means they cant differentiate a lot in the pricing of both cars. But i guess we can only wait and watch for the moment.
the question is not just how they want to position their vehicles, but how they CAN position them.

In the US, the Wrangler starts at a price similar to a V6 accord. That accord costs 27lacs in India as a CKD.

how on earth can jeep do 15 to 20 lacs?

and why should they? The wrangler is not a spiffed up mahindra thar. COmpared to it a fortuner is just cheap pickup truck based wagon. WHY should Jeep price the Wrangler at less than a fortuner?

also, keep in mind that in the US, the Grand Cherokee is a rival to the Land Rover LR4 and Lexus GX (Sold here as the Prado). Thats with V8 engines in all 3. The LR and the Toyota are 65 lac vehicles with diesels. So with diesel the Grand Cherokee come in at 20 lacs cheaper than those competitors? if yes, hot damn!! I'll buy one!

THere is NO WAY the wrangler will come in at 15-20 lacs.

But I will buy one. THough not if it comes auto only. Mine MUST have a manual transmission

Last edited by Harbir : 15th April 2012 at 19:08.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how on earth can jeep do 15 to 20 lacs?

also, keep in mind that in the US, the Grand Cherokee is a rival to the Land Rover LR4 and Lexus GX (Sold here as the Prado). Thats with V8 engines in all 3. The LR and the Toyota are 65 lac vehicles with diesels. So with diesel the Grand Cherokee come in at 20 lacs cheaper than those competitors? if yes, hot damn!! I'll buy one!

THere is NO WAY the wrangler will come in at 15-20 lacs.
It is clearly mentioned that the Jeep here will have the 3.0L turbo Diesel engines and not the V6 or the V8.
with just a change in the engines, the price level of these jeep's drop considerably. I do not see why a base $30000 vehicle cannot be sold in India for around 40L!
Godfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 20:27   #40
BHPian

Adding to what has been stated by Godfather, Fiat Chrysler JV is looking forward to increase their presence with the help of CKD which will be assembled in one of the FIAT's plant.

Moreover what this news confirms is that Jeep is planning to come to India.

Another article on Jeep Plans for India published on ET website:

Fiat to expand its presence in India through Chrysler's Jeep; To launch Alfa Romeo & Maserati - Economic Times
Old 15th April 2012, 21:04   #41
BHPian

Going with recent "reputation" of Times group and especially ET, need to wait for some other source to confirm before jumping to any conclusion.

Please see below threads,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...mo-spacio.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...iant-brio.html
Old 15th April 2012, 22:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
It is clearly mentioned that the Jeep here will have the 3.0L turbo Diesel engines and not the V6 or the V8.
with just a change in the engines, the price level of these jeep's drop considerably.
the LR4 and Prado are also ~3.0L Turbo diesels. If the grand cherokee V8 is comparable to V8 engined LR4 and GX, the ~3.0L turbodiesel grand cherokee ought to be comparable to the ~3.0L turbodiesel LR4 and GX. no?
Old 16th April 2012, 20:28   #43
BHPian

JEEP coming to India ?

Saw an article in Zigwheels today stating that Jeep was likely to enter the Indian markets. Wonder what that will do to Fiat India's bottom line? however, there is no mention of when or which route (CBU/CKD) would these be introduced. Any scoops here?
Jeep all set to enter India Page - 1| Zigwheels.com
Old 16th April 2012, 21:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the LR4 and Prado are also ~3.0L Turbo diesels. If the grand cherokee V8 is comparable to V8 engined LR4 and GX, the ~3.0L turbodiesel grand cherokee ought to be comparable to the ~3.0L turbodiesel LR4 and GX. no?
No! these cannot be compared, when a vehicle is launched in India initially the manufacturer prefers to play by the numbers instead of concentrating the business on the small fraction of people who can afford this vehicle.

so obviously the Jeeps which will be launched will be stripped off their regular goodies and may turn to just the basic models.

the LC and the LR are known worldwide and both these companies have other vehicles to cover for their sales numbers. I have had 2 LC (the V6 petrol and the most recent which was sold last month the 3.0L Diesel) in these vehicles people mainly look for a vehicle which turns heads where ever it goes. Its more of a status symbol, thats why you end up paying 60L + for these.
Old 16th April 2012, 21:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: JEEP coming to India ?

There is already a thread for the same.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-cherokee.html
Cheers,
Deepak
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks