Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 21:20   #211
BHPian

Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Woah!! A review to come in Sids style?? Can't wait for it, now that tomorrow is an off for me! Two car pictures means its the gasoline and the oil burner.

I saw the iGen i20 from a distance in flesh (wasn't carrying a camera or a camera equipped phone, sorry, no pictures) and tried hard to explain myself, that this is evolution, digest it, in vain. Still feel, the outgoing i20 is more chic than iGen.

PS: Sid Sir, whats with iGen i20 showing its rear to Toyota?
Old 14th April 2012, 13:45   #212
BHPian

Saw two i20's today. A silver and a red one. The car looks much better in flesh.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:55   #213

Keeping the Subjective looks aside for a while, here are my observations from Test Drive of the new 1.2L i20 Asta.
The experience was kind of a mix bag for me. The vehicle is Silky Smooth and one can ‘Hardly’ feel any vibrations or hear the engine noise inside the cabin. But on the other hand you drive on a pothole, you still get to hear the Thud sound from the Left suspension.

Petrol engine is still underpowered. Hyundai might have tuned the engine to offer a better mileage but it still lacks the agility of a Swift. Probably a 1.3L petrol engine would do justice to this premium hatch. We had four adults seated in the vehicle with the A/C on, 1st Gear had a sufficient pull however when moved to 2nd, the vehicle just doesn't like to take off, very much like its predecessor, which is very disappointing. And the A/C too hasn’t changed much, the rear benchers weren’t feeling it for quite a while.

Other Points:
· Introduction of a reverse camera and the images of which can be seen on the mirror inside
· The push start is cute and the dash and the cluster looks lot neater
· Did notice a Driver Seat armrest too, which is a good add-on
· An interesting observation, I felt the steering pretty firm and upon enquiry I was told that due to some pre-registration procedure they have it tightened. If someone can throw some light on this!

Note From Team-BHP Support-Team: Tags removed. Please avoid using word processors while framing your post.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th April 2012 at 23:57. Reason: See note in post :)
Old 15th April 2012, 22:38   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Review coming up soon.
Sid,

We are waiting for your report, please bring it ASAP!
Old 15th April 2012, 22:53   #215
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekn83 View Post
But on the other hand you drive on a pothole, you still get to hear the Thud sound from the Left suspension.
Well Hyundai has concentrated only on increasing the features list and attracting buyers, I already so many people go gaga over the feature list, I too went around 3 years back and brought a diesel i20, all the features feel nice initially but as soon as you go over bad roads, reality sinks in and you realise how poor the ride quality and handling is, I will go as far as saying that an Alto rides and handles better than an i20.
Old 15th April 2012, 23:35   #216
Senior - BHPian

Guys, hold on to your horses. In the coming days I'll be extremely tied up, so I'll go slow in writing the review. Hope that extra patience will be worth it.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 00:29   #217
Senior - BHPian

i saw an eon and an i20 parked nearby Apart from the black headlights (me likey!) the resemblance was so strong that it took me a while to realize that it was an i20 and not a facelifted i10
Old 16th April 2012, 07:54   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Well Hyundai has concentrated only on increasing the features list and attracting buyers,
I guess its a part of their stupid "New thinking, New possibilities" philosophy. Increase features list to hide the inherent flaws and fool the customer into buying the car.

Remember the 2010 BSIV F/L?, wherein they added a few features and claimed that the steering and A/C issues have been addressed, which proved to be a lie later. Hyundai doesn't really seem to be learning from the past.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 16th April 2012 at 08:17.
Old 16th April 2012, 10:40   #219
Senior - BHPian

The new i20 definitely looks good in flesh than in pictures. It might be feature loaded but is way overpriced IMO. At 9.15L OTR Bangalore, the CRDi Asta is just not worth the money. Heck, even the Magna(O) CRDi costs 8.01L OTR. The Magna(O) would had been VFM if it included ABS and dual airbags. Suddenly the overpriced Swift seems so much VFM.

Also, did anyone feel that the doors have gone lighter since 2008?
Old 16th April 2012, 17:05   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I saw the new i20 getting readied for delivery (with the ribbons et al) at a local Hyundai sales outlet. Has any Bhpian got his hands on the new one yet?
Did you happen to see her at one of the dealerships here in Mumbai? She could as well have been one headed to my home. Just kidding!

The wife is now a proud owner of the all new 2012 i-Gen i20 in gasoline

Quote:
Also, is there going to be any official review of the car?
I certainly hope so. I'm looking forward to it in fact. Nonetheless, delighted to report that first impressions are pretty darn good. The VTVT engine is a welcome change and makes the i20 quite peppy and effortless to drive in city traffic. The sluggishness in lower gears is brought down to an almost unnoticeable level. The steering is a little lighter than I'd have liked but isn't a deal-breaker by any stretch. In fact it works very well for the i20 because it is direct. Also happy to report that the AC (sans tints) was quite effective with the sun beating down and already feels as though the engineers @ Hyundai have put some thought into giving it a considerable overhaul. Interiors have a premium touch to them and gel well with the overall design and styling of the car. If at all, the only tiny grouse is that the brakes are soft and take slightly longer to bite than I'd be comfortable with. Will get this vetted with the workshop guys soon.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 16th April 2012 at 17:16.
Omtoatom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 13:50   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
The wife is now a proud owner of the all new 2012 i-Gen i20 in gasoline.
Congratulations on your purchase. Do post your initial ownership report with pics as it will be the first one on the forum

Quote:
Did you happen to see her at one of the dealerships here in Mumbai? She could as well have been one headed to my home. Just kidding!
It was in one of the Pune dealerships that I saw the car
Old 17th April 2012, 13:58   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the only tiny grouse is that the brakes are soft and take slightly longer to bite than I'd be comfortable with. Will get this vetted with the workshop guys soon.
New car's brake pads need to be broken-in, just like the engine. They should be OK after 250~500 kms of usage.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:22   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your purchase. Do post your initial ownership report with pics as it will be the first one on the forum
Thank you very much raVan. BTW I'm not entirely sure she's the first one on the forum. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure our fellow-BHPian, Deepan - a kind gentleman from Chennai and incidentally who's also contributed to this very thread - had booked a CRDi in Bronze color (coincidentally also for his wife), a week or so before my wife did. If my memory serves me right, he was slated to get delivery approximately a week before ours. Let me double-check that mate.

On the other hand, if she's indeed a first on the community, it will be a privilege of sorts. In any case, I will be more than happy to share my thoughts on initial ownership.

Quote:
It was in one of the Pune dealerships that I saw the car
Haha of course, you saw her in Pune. I was just joking buddy!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 17th April 2012 at 14:24.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:47   #224
BHPian

Hi,
I have test driven New I20 "I-Gen", and below are my likes & dislikes considering my current Palio S10 Vs I20 Spotrz CRDI.

Liked
  • Power Delivery
  • Quiet Cabin
  • Ease of Electronic Power Steering (For my wife)
  • 6 gears (Better efficiency on highways)
  • Braking (any cars braking is better than Fiat Palio 1.6, but this has 4 discs)
  • Looks (this is very subjective to my choice, looks more european)
  • Interiors
  • Parking asist (Can expect more for my Wife)
  • Cabin Space
  • A/C (I assume this has changed from previous I20 version, but compared to my Palio, its far better)
  • ABS EBD
  • Bluetooth connectivity

DisLiked
  • Dashboard restricts Vision
  • A Pillar also restricts Vision
  • EPS ( Personally I like response of Hydralic, but its ok as my Wife is going to use it over weekdays)
  • Seat upholstry look cheap (may be because I have Stanly in my Palio)
  • VFM !! ( THis is subjective again)
I compared this with other diesel cars in my list, below are my personal opinions, no offence if you own any of the below.

Punto 90
Swift ZDI
Liva Diesel
Figo Diesel

Figo is great handling car, but its number of horses doesn’t complement its handling, I would have gone for it if it had at least 10 more horses.

Liva looking at its brochure & display vehicle, I would have already frozen Figo if I were to choose Liva.

New Swift ZDI looks dint appeal my wife as much as its previous model, and its 75 HP dint appeal me much.
Cost wise we aren’t saving much when compared to Punto 90 or I20.

Punto 90 is my Favourite.
Service of Fiat has improved tremendously & I have no reason NOT to like this car. I have changed my Jiju’s decision an year back from buying ‘Micra Diesel’ to Punto 90, and he is very happy with that decision.
Considering the fact we may not keep our next car for long, I asked a question “Another Fiat?”
We will anyhow retain our Palio S10, and also have one Punto 90 in our Family, hence we ruled out Punto.

I20 initially felt very expensive, and when we compared it with Swift ZDI, holy it was an easy decision, and finally have booked Maharaja Red, and will be delivered tonight. Detailed description of will follow with my Ownership report.

Regards,

Naveen.KK

Last edited by naveen.kk : 17th April 2012 at 16:50. Reason: Wrong Formatting
naveen.kk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 19:14   #225
BHPian

Just cancelled Jazz and booked i20 AT Sportz to replace aging Santro for in-city runs. The only reason to cancel Jazz and booking i20 is non availability of AT in Jazz. Expecting delivery in couple of weeks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks