Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 14:07   #811
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
I found this on YouTube http://Youtu.be/LGz6cQNXd8s, apparently the new linea is called the linea classic.
This is incorrect, and contrary to the Fiat strategy posted on the first page/first few pages of this thread. The new Linea will not be called Classic. The existing Linea will be called Classic, since it will be sold along with the face-lifted Linea. About engines, I don't know which engines will remain in Classic, and which will be exclusively for the face-lifted Linea. But most probably, Classic will not have the T-Jet engine any more.
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 16:51   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I am looking forward to the Jeep Wrangler launch - even more so after I came back from Ladakh. A desperate search on google for any latest info is now a mandatory part of my daily routine. Though I haven't come across any concrete dates/pricing, I stumbled upon this:

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/jee...LS2OR8VQO884AM

Have they been making the Wrangler seats at Ranjangaon for years??? BTW, the two comments on this so-called news are hilarious :-)

Cheers!
Old 19th September 2013, 21:47   #813
BHPian

This just in!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/22761818.cms

Abarth should be coming soon.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:02   #814
BHPian

TOI today:
Jeep in late 2013
Abarth in 2014

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/22772002.cms

Quote:
Fiat Group Automobiles India Ltd (FGAIL), a subsidiary of Italian-American Fiat-Chrysler group, will introduce two new badges in India within the next 12 months. While the iconic jeep brand will be introduced from Chrysler later this year, the company will launch Fiat's performance brand Abarth next year.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:04   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Bring it on Fiat, we are waiting.
And bring it at a reasonable price. A properly engineered 4WD is what we need. I am fed up with these posers that don't even have a proper spare tire.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:23   #816
Senior - BHPian

That news article from Timesofindia has few flaws..

Quote:
Speaking to TOI, Fiat Chrysler India president and managing director Nagesh Basavanhalli said SUVs from the Jeep stable and Abarth would be part of the nine car portfolio that Fiat intended to have in three years, up from just two-hatch Punto and sedan Palio-that it has right now. The company has discontinued manufacture of entry level hatch Palio and import of premium small car Fiat 500.
Sedan Palio that Fiat has right now? Can the quality of journalism get any poorer?

Quote:
Fiat has traditionally been a strong player in some Indian markets. We want to recapture the market and establish a substantial presence in the near future," the executive said, adding that a 5% marketshare is what Fiat would eye in the short to medium term.
Traditionally strong player in some Indian markets? This is a joke right? Does India know this? And 5% market share in short to medium term.. From the bottom of the table. Who are they kidding? Honda has only 4.93% market share today after so many years in the country.

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/22772002.cms
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 13:00   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
That news article from Timesofindia has few flaws..

Sedan Palio that Fiat has right now? Can the quality of journalism get any poorer?
I agree with you, Ajay. This is pathetic.
The article has more mistakes.

"Against 8,000-odd Fiat cars sold last year, the Italian brand has managed to sell only 1,060 cars in the first six months this year."

Fiat has sold more cars than that. In August alone they sold more than 1000 cars. For last few months they were in the region of 500-800. So it should be close to 5000 in the last 6 months. (Source: Team BHP Monthly Car Sales figures).

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Traditionally strong player in some Indian markets? This is a joke right? Does India know this? And 5% market share in short to medium term.. From the bottom of the table. Who are they kidding? Honda has only 4.93% market share today after so many years in the country.
I think this is another mistake.
Fiat & Basavanhalli were always realsitic and made no tall claims. They always say their market share is around 0.5% and their goal is to reach 1%. Not 5%.

Excerpt from a July interview:
"How you plan to grow the company in coming years?
We want to be a significant player in this market. We were a top player once, we want to get back. We want to double our market share, which is less than 1% as of now. We sell around 7,000 cars per annum, we are looking to double this number after opening 100 dealerships by the end of this year."

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1800802_1.html

I think the reporter was sleepy or tired and made these mistakes.

Last edited by JohnyBoy : 20th September 2013 at 13:04.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 13:05   #818
Senior - BHPian

Do they not proof read their editorials before they send it for printing. I mean we are not talking about a small regional newspaper but arguably the largest selling english newspaper in the country.
Old 20th September 2013, 13:31   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Do they not proof read their editorials before they send it for printing. I mean we are not talking about a small regional newspaper but arguably the largest selling english newspaper in the country.
Largest selling unfortunately is not an indication of editorial quality , each year there appear to be more and more mistakes and retractions taking place by not just them but worthy counterparts as well.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 15:25   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
I agree with you, Ajay. This is pathetic.
The article has more mistakes.

"Against 8,000-odd Fiat cars sold last year, the Italian brand has managed to sell only 1,060 cars in the first six months this year."

Fiat has sold more cars than that. In August alone they sold more than 1000 cars. For last few months they were in the region of 500-800. So it should be close to 5000 in the last 6 months. (Source: Team BHP Monthly Car Sales figures).

I think this is another mistake.
Fiat & Basavanhalli were always realsitic and made no tall claims. They always say their market share is around 0.5% and their goal is to reach 1%. Not 5%.

Excerpt from a July interview:
"How you plan to grow the company in coming years?
We want to be a significant player in this market. We were a top player once, we want to get back. We want to double our market share, which is less than 1% as of now. We sell around 7,000 cars per annum, we are looking to double this number after opening 100 dealerships by the end of this year."

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1800802_1.html

I think the reporter was sleepy or tired and made these mistakes.
Reporter just messed the article up with figures I think he made up because he/she didn't capture it correctly from their voice recorder.

Yes, the total sale figure for first 6 months is incorrect. It is also not 5000. The article mentions the figure for the first six months of this year. And from our own (reliable) TBHP monthly sales figure data, FIAT sales for first 6 months stands at 2795. Way more than the 1060 they mention. Absolutely POOR journalism and just a lax attitude. These people should be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Largest selling unfortunately is not an indication of editorial quality , each year there appear to be more and more mistakes and retractions taking place by not just them but worthy counterparts as well.
What to do. Journalism itself has come to an all time low, with media feeding stories that they want us to listen to. Journalism replaced by sensationalism. Truly poor standards, they've managed.

Last edited by k_ajay : 20th September 2013 at 15:28.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 10:10   #821
BHPian

Fiat Linea Classic Launch On 25th September

Fiat India will launch the Linea Classic on the 25th of September 2013. The launch will take place in New Delhi.

source :motorbeam
nskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 13:17   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskumar View Post
Fiat India will launch the Linea Classic on the 25th of September 2013.
What is this Linea Classic if there is no new Linea launched? Or the new model already been launched?
Old 21st September 2013, 17:03   #823
BHPian

Last week, the sales guy had come over to invite for the opening of their new FIAT showroom.
He said Grand Cherokee in early '14 and Wrangler (which he said would be called Rubicon) in late '14. According to him, Cherokee would square off against Fortuner and Wrangler would be in the price range of Duster.

He also said that Linea Classic will have the 75 Bhp FGT enginte for which he was going for sales training. He had no clue on the details of the new Linea.
Old 21st September 2013, 22:18   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Last week, the sales guy had come over to invite for the opening of their new FIAT showroom.
He said Grand Cherokee in early '14 and Wrangler (which he said would be called Rubicon) in late '14. According to him, Cherokee would square off against Fortuner and Wrangler would be in the price range of Duster.

He also said that Linea Classic will have the 75 Bhp FGT enginte for which he was going for sales training. He had no clue on the details of the new Linea.
75bhp would be too underpowered for the Linea. As it is, I don't see a huge km/l difference between the 75 & 90bhp engines. Don't know what Fiat is thinking. If they really want to differentiate the old linea (classic) & the new linea (which I think is ugly), they should get the 120bhp version. I believe the Grand Cherokee will end up in the 45-50L bracket rather than the Fortuner's territory as it will be a CBU. If its priced below 30L, I would book one on the launch day . Same with the Wrangler. It would be priced way above the Duster, probably in the Fortuner's price band.
Old 21st September 2013, 22:53   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
This makes no sense. Wrangler starts at about 25000$ in USA for short wheelbase. All these years, the price of any CBU was almost 100 times in Rupees (that is, a 25k $ vehicle would be almost 50L Rs in India). Grand Cherokee is much more costly. It will probably cost close to Land Rover Discovery. And Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are different vehicles.

Jeep is going to have a cheaper vehicle much later (possibly competing with the likes of Fortuner). But no Jeep will compete with Duster. For that, there will be a Fiat badged crossover based on Punto platform. But that's not gonna happen until 2015.

Last edited by rohanjf : 21st September 2013 at 22:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks